HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Jerseys?

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2005, 10:28 AM
zacn

vCash: 500
The Jerseys?

I'm sorry, am I going crazy or has hockey changed the jerseys so that the dark colors are for home games and the white ones for away? I mean, I know it has changed but does anyone know why and when this change actually took place? I'm not complaining, I always thought the rangers should wear blue at home in the first place though it would have been cool if they could always wear it, home and road alike, and be the team with just one jersey. I guess now that the darks are for home games they can't do that.

Old
10-17-2005, 10:40 AM
kickice

Send a message via MSN to kickice
it changed so that teams going on road trips didn't have to take two different sets of jerseys with them.

As before, if a home team wore their 3rd jerseys for a game, the road team would have needed to have their light coloured jerseys with them as well.

I prefer it as well, after all the Rangers are known as the Blueshirts, so those are the ones that should be our home jerseys I think.

Old
10-17-2005, 11:17 AM
Nich

blue shirts at home....the way it should be.

Old
10-17-2005, 11:24 AM
cooper7d7

Could the NHL get rid of whites?

Aside from all the red teams - MTL, CGY, CAR, CHI - would there be a problem with teams only wearing 'colored' sweaters, like the old days?

Old
10-17-2005, 01:10 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickice
it changed so that teams going on road trips didn't have to take two different sets of jerseys with them.

As before, if a home team wore their 3rd jerseys for a game, the road team would have needed to have their light coloured jerseys with them as well.

I prefer it as well, after all the Rangers are known as the Blueshirts, so those are the ones that should be our home jerseys I think.
Thats not why it changed, it changed because the dark jerseys sell more and making the the dark jerserys the home jersey made more sense sales wise. I really don't think it would be a big deal for team to bring another jersey on an away game.

Old
10-17-2005, 01:22 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
Thats not why it changed, it changed because the dark jerseys sell more and making the the dark jerserys the home jersey made more sense sales wise. I really don't think it would be a big deal for team to bring another jersey on an away game.
It's both. It was that the 3rd jerseys were always dark and they wanted to show them off to the home fans to boost sales, but it was also that it didn't make sense to require teams to take all their jerseys with them (the regular away, the 3rd for if they wanted to wear it on the road, and the home in case the other team wanted to wear the 3rd at home). Throw in the fact that this way is actually the tradition of the NHL and it's a no-brainer.

Old
10-17-2005, 01:25 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper7d7
Aside from all the red teams - MTL, CGY, CAR, CHI - would there be a problem with teams only wearing 'colored' sweaters, like the old days?
I don't think it would work. That was fine when the game was slower and the crowds weren't as big, but imagine watching a Rangers-Leafs game on TV when everyone is wearing blue. Or watching it from the 400 level. Or even imagine being on the ice and trying to call a penalty or execute a pass with a split-second to decide.

Old
10-17-2005, 01:32 PM
BlueShirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
Is that the official reason for the change? I was going to pose this same question however I never got around to it.

As long as I have been watching hockey (since the early 80's), the home jerseys were always white with the exception of a year or two where they changed it to commerate something.

Old
10-17-2005, 01:36 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShirt
Is that the official reason for the change? I was going to pose this same question however I never got around to it.

As long as I have been watching hockey (since the early 80's), the home jerseys were always white with the exception of a year or two where they changed it to commerate something.

going way back...yeah, I'm old., the home jerseys were dark and the roads white.

When the bloodfests started in the 60's and 70's , team trainers couldn't keep the blood stains out of the road whites on road trips. Some teams looked like they wearing butcher aprons by the end of a 2 week trip so a change was made to dark on the road.

We're just back to the future now.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
10-17-2005, 02:08 PM
cooper7d7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak
I don't think it would work. That was fine when the game was slower and the crowds weren't as big, but imagine watching a Rangers-Leafs game on TV when everyone is wearing blue. Or watching it from the 400 level. Or even imagine being on the ice and trying to call a penalty or execute a pass with a split-second to decide.
Didn't the Leafs wear a blue and white striped sweater long ago. I guess I was proposing that everyone go to a single unique jersey. Oh well.

Old
10-17-2005, 02:14 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Didn't the Leafs wear a blue and white striped sweater long ago. I guess I was proposing that everyone go to a single unique jersey. Oh well.
that will probably never happen...i mean you're asking teams to reduce jersey sales by 2/3rds.

Old
10-17-2005, 03:22 PM
cooper7d7

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
that will probably never happen...i mean you're asking teams to reduce jersey sales by 2/3rds.
I don't think sales would drop by 2/3. I love freemarkets and choice, but reducing the consumer's choice by 2/3 does not mean sales will drop 2/3. Obviously hypothetically, how many folks have home and away jerseys? Well, those folks could just but 'retro' whites or multiple colored jerseys. I've seen red rangers jerseys and camoflagued yanks caps.

Old
10-17-2005, 03:31 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
I don't think sales would drop by 2/3. I love freemarkets and choice, but reducing the consumer's choice by 2/3 does not mean sales will drop 2/3. Obviously hypothetically, how many folks have home and away jerseys? Well, those folks could just but 'retro' whites or multiple colored jerseys. I've seen red rangers jerseys and camoflagued yanks caps.
i knew that someone would come back with that response. yes, you are correct that it won't translate into a reduction of sales by 2/3. however, i'm sure you agree that it WOULD result in an overall reduction of jersey sales. how much is anyone's guess...but nevertheless it would result in lost revenue.

Old
10-17-2005, 03:45 PM
cooper7d7

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
i knew that someone would come back with that response. yes, you are correct that it won't translate into a reduction of sales by 2/3. however, i'm sure you agree that it WOULD result in an overall reduction of jersey sales. how much is anyone's guess...but nevertheless it would result in lost revenue.
Well your statement was in response to my statement, therefore it is only logical for me to continue this line of discussion by responding again.

Like I said, folks who would normally but a home, road and third jersey could still purchase 'retro' jerseys, jerseys of multiple players, practice jerseys, or alternative/non-official jerseys. Is it possible that sales would suffer, yes, but I think its also possible that jerseys sales would increase.

I know we have seen as many as 5 jerseys for the NYRs, so why not go to a different version for each day of the week? or each month? This would no doubt increase sales 7 fold!

Last edited by cooper7d7: 10-17-2005 at 03:53 PM.
Old
10-17-2005, 03:54 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Well you statement was in response to my statement, therefore it is only logical for me to continue this line of discussion by responding again. Like I said, folks who would normally but a home, road and third jersey could still purchase 'retro' jerseys, jerseys of multiple players, practice jerseys, or alternative/non-official jerseys. Is it possible that sales would suffer, yes, but I think its also possible that jerseys sales would increase. I know we have seen as many as 5 jerseys for the NYRs, so why not go to a different version for each day of the week? or each month? This would no doubt increase sales 7 fold!
Broadway blue is right though...personally, I would not buy a retro jersey that the team does not wear. I currently own 4 Ranger jerseys (Home, Away, Third Blue, Third White) I would only buy something that they would wear, I am sure there are other people like me.

Old
10-17-2005, 04:05 PM
cooper7d7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
Broadway blue is right though...personally, I would not buy a retro jersey that the team does not wear. I currently own 4 Ranger jerseys (Home, Away, Third Blue, Third White) I would only buy something that they would wear, I am sure there are other people like me.
Do you have a Rangers hat or Tshirt? There are plenty of items that are not worn by the team that are bought. I understand what you are saying.

I guess it was just 'nice' when there were only 6 or so teams, and everybody could get away with having just one color. maybe there is room for a few teams to do the same today - the Flames should always be in red, the Kings always in purple, the Rangers always in blue, the Blue Jackets always in dark blue...

Old
10-17-2005, 04:09 PM
ftyutin51

Speaking of jerseys, I just ordered these:

http://shop.nhl.com/product/index.js...y_bestsell_img
#30 Henrik Lundqvist
#25 Petr Prucha
(^might be a little early, but I think we'll be keeping them for a few years.. plus, it's for free from my aunt as my early bday gift!!=D)
^heh, looks cool.

Now I just need a digital camera..

Old
10-17-2005, 04:11 PM
cooper7d7

No Tyutin?

Old
10-17-2005, 04:16 PM
ftyutin51

Quote:
No Tyutin?
Already have 2; 1 White, 1 3rd.

**Hate when people at school look at me like I never heard of football or basketball so I'm stuck wearing a "stupid hockey jersey". -- Tyutin kicks all their arses!!

Old
10-17-2005, 04:20 PM
cooper7d7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftyutin51
Speaking of jerseys, I just ordered these:

#30 Henrik Lundqvist
#25 Petr Prucha
(^might be a little early, but I think we'll be keeping them for a few years.. plus, it's for free from my aunt as my early bday gift!!
I still have my blue Amonte from Christmas 02 or 03, I thought "here's someone who will be around for a long time..." HA

Old
10-17-2005, 04:24 PM
ftyutin51

Quote:
I still have my blue Amonte from Christmas 02 or 03, I thought "here's someone who will be around for a long time..." HA
lol, nice nice.

**Speaking of jerseys (again) on the NYR official website, they have a poll of Favorite NYR Jersey and the home blue is 39% favorite, winning so far. I voted the 3rd dk. blue.

Old
10-17-2005, 04:29 PM
cooper7d7

I can kinda understand trading Tony for Glenn Anderson, I mean it kinda led to the Cup, but I was a little broke up inside.

I really doubt Tyutin or Lundqvist are going anywhere soon...I hope.

Old
10-17-2005, 04:31 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I can kinda understand trading Tony for Glenn Anderson, I mean it kinda led to the Cup, but I was a little broke up inside.

I really doubt Tyutin or Lundqvist are going anywhere soon...I hope.

Amonte was traded for Matteau and Noonan, not Glen Anderson. Anderson was traded for Gartner.

Old
10-17-2005, 05:10 PM
+73*

still not sold that Anderson was an upgrade at that time from Gartner... not too sure anybody else is/was, either, this was a Messier buddy system maneuver.
would that Cup run had turned out differently had NYR NOT picked up Anderson?

Old
10-17-2005, 06:13 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by +73
still not sold that Anderson was an upgrade at that time from Gartner... not too sure anybody else is/was, either, this was a Messier buddy system maneuver.
would that Cup run had turned out differently had NYR NOT picked up Anderson?
Keenan loathed Gartner.

Closed Thread