HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

New Comrie Article

Closed Thread

Old
10-07-2003, 07:39 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

vCash: 500
New Comrie Article

For all of you that wanted him to say it, here it is:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...07_225610_1196

Old
10-07-2003, 07:45 PM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
For all of you that wanted him to say it, here it is:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...07_225610_1196
I'm assuming Comrie is talking about returning to the Oil when he says this:

"My goal is to do whatever I can to be here this year, and we'll go from there.
We have said it is going to remain confidential, the two sides are talking."

If so, this is the first time I have heard him mention anything about returning to play for the Oilers.

"here" could mean the NHL though.

Old
10-07-2003, 07:46 PM
s7ark

I thought some of this was interesting...

While the centre's presence in town is progress, the 23-year-old revealed few details concerning his future with the club.

"I came back and hopefully we can figure something out, but it is part of the agreement between the Oilers and myself that we would try to keep everything confidential at this time."

Comrie, who registered 20 goals and 31 assists in 69 games with Edmonton last season, will not skate with his teammates until a resolution can be reached. However, his presence in town is a step in the right direction.

"I'm back, and I will probably be skating at the University of Alberta, so hopefully in the near future I will be back playing in the NHL."

When asked whether or not the future includes a role with the Oilers, Comrie again stressed the confidentiality of the situation.

<b>"My goal is to do whatever I can to be here this year, and we'll go from there. We have said it is going to remain confidential, the two sides are talking."</b>

Comrie's agent, Rich Winter, believes a resolution will come quicker with his client in town. If a deal cannot be reached, the Oilers have not ruled out a trade.

That sounds fairly promising. I would far prefer to have Comrie here the traded away. Honestly no matter what everone says, the kid is absolute money on the ice...

Old
10-07-2003, 07:47 PM
s7ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint

If so, this is the first time I have heard him mention anything about returning to play for the Oilers.

LOL COPYCAT!!!! Sorry , I didn't see that you had posted that.

Old
10-07-2003, 07:47 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:

I doubt "here" could mean anything but Edmonton. After all, he was referring to the fact that he just flew back.

Old
10-07-2003, 08:03 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
I doubt "here" could mean anything but Edmonton. After all, he was referring to the fact that he just flew back.
And yet, just before that he says:

"I'm back, and I will probably be skating at the University of Alberta, so hopefully in the near future I will be back playing in the NHL."

If his true hope was to sign a new contract with the Oilers, why did he say NHL?

The thing that's funny is all this shroud of secrecy. This is like something out of the Manhattan Project.

The one thing I took out of this piece was that it looks like a resolution (signing or trade) will be happening rather soon.

Does anyone else see parallels to the time when Bure left Vancouver?

Old
10-07-2003, 08:08 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12

If his true hope was to sign a new contract with the Oilers, why did he say NHL?

The thing that's funny is all this shroud of secrecy. This is like something out of the Manhattan Project.

The one thing I took out of this piece was that it looks like a resolution (signing or trade) will be happening rather soon.

Dare I say Friday soon? The plot thickens *queue dramatic music*

Old
10-07-2003, 08:09 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:

It's still implied, and he did use the term "we" meaning him and the Oilers. One thing about him not saying Oilers, what that might be is, if you say Oilers, you sound like you're not part of the organization, if you use words like 'we' and 'here', it sounds more like you're part. If I said "I'm signing with the Edmonton Oilers" does it not sound like I am in fact not part of the team? Just an obsevation.

I like the discreetness, it prevents the vocal mud-slinging between parties and is how negotiations should go. With reference to a resolution, I would look at the bottom of the article. Definately sounds like signing a contract here is the preferred option to me.

I'm also making the connection with Sarno going down, and the unlikelyhood of keeping 8 d-men on the roster. Sounds like the ball is rolling to me.

Old
10-07-2003, 08:17 PM
Oiler_Fan

Oh, man. Those quotes are so carefully scripted. I will give Winter a lot of credit on how he coached his client there. It doesn't answer any of the key questions that fans are asking, really. Theses are:

1. Do you want to be an Oiler?
Well he wants to play "here"--assuming that's Edmonton--my cynical side says, "Sure he wants to play in the NHL in Edmonton, but for what team that's on a road trip in Alberta?" For now I will assume "here" means playing for Edmonton and give him the benifit of the doubt I guess.

2. Do you want to be an Oiler?
"I came back and hopefully we can figure something out, but it is part of the agreement between the Oilers and myself that we would try to keep everything confidential at this time."

3. Do you want to be an Oiler?

Old
10-07-2003, 08:33 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Just a note, saw the interview on TV just now, the quote on sportsnet isn't 100% accurate, just in terms of humms and hawws mostly, but the point seems to me to remain the same. Used 'there' instead of 'here', but in it's context I think it means he wants to be 'there' with his team. But who knows, just my read.

Old
10-07-2003, 08:39 PM
outKast*

Quote:

yup i saw him talking on sportsnight. he was talking about wanting to stay in the NHL, not witht he Edmonton Oilers. As much as would like the Oilers to signs him, i just want something done no matter what it is. If they have to trade him then trade him. Not using Comrie at all is a waste of a good quality player.

Old
10-07-2003, 08:41 PM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:

I have watched this interview on Sportsnet at least 4 times and this quote is incorrect. What Mike Comrie said was ""My goal is to do whatever I can to be THERE this year, and we'll go from there. We have said it is going to remain confidential, the two sides are talking."
My interpretation of "THERE" is that he was refering to the NHL, not Edmonton. With his agreement with Lowe not to say anything in public I believe he is trying to be extra careful. Maybe he should have been a lawyer.

Old
10-07-2003, 08:43 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilflip
yup i saw him talking on sportsnight. he was talking about wanting to stay in the NHL, not witht he Edmonton Oilers. As much as would like the Oilers to signs him, i just want something done no matter what it is. If they have to trade him then trade him. Not using Comrie at all is a waste of a good quality player.
i would rather we wait and get maximum return over losing him like Satan

Old
10-07-2003, 08:45 PM
oildrop

This guy is GONE. He said THERE as in the NHL. Rod Phillips just said on Global Sports that it is obvious that he doesn't want to play here anymore and that the only probable solution is a trade. He's gone in my mind.

Old
10-07-2003, 08:50 PM
Digger12

Just finishing watching the Global Sports round table...

Matheson, Phillips, and the sportsnet play by play guy (I noticed they didn't invite John Short back this year )

They talked about the Comrie situation, and none of them seemed very optimistic that he'll be back here. Phillips was especially pessimistic about Comrie wanting to be an Oiler.

Old
10-07-2003, 08:53 PM
jadeddog

yeah hes gone folks... the sooner we all get used to that fact, and accept it, the better... cause a trade *is* going to happen

Old
10-07-2003, 09:02 PM
oildrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
yeah hes gone folks... the sooner we all get used to that fact, and accept it, the better... cause a trade *is* going to happen
Yup, I just hope it gets done soon because I am tired of seeing all these different stories on him. When the Team's Play by Play guy says he is most likely gone then you have to know that he is done as an Oiler. Get this done and over with before it gets real ugly.

Old
10-07-2003, 09:06 PM
dem

The quicker the deal gets done the better. This team needs some help ...now!

Old
10-07-2003, 09:12 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem
Matheson did have a good point though, it will be difficult to trade him right now because nobody's lost a game and every team (except maybe Pittsburgh ) feels good about their lineup. It still may take a couple weeks before a deal is done.

That being said, my gut says this thing gets resolved one way or the other within the next 72 hours. My gut knows.

Old
10-07-2003, 09:17 PM
oildrop

Quote:
Matheson did have a good point though, it will be difficult to trade him right now because nobody's lost a game and every team (except maybe Pittsburgh ) feels good about their lineup. It still may take a couple weeks before a deal is done.

That being said, my gut says this thing gets resolved one way or the other within the next 72 hours. My gut knows.
Digger, I sure hope you are right. At least they could tell us that YES he will be traded or NO he won't be traded. But I think it's fair to say that he is done as an Oiler so at least tell us that much.

Old
10-07-2003, 10:09 PM
Rooks Oilers

My two cents on this....it better be a BIG, GOOD Center in return!

Old
10-07-2003, 10:19 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooks Oilers
My two cents on this....it better be a BIG, GOOD Center in return!
One problem with that...if a team has a big, good center that we want, why would they trade him for a small, good center?

If this trade happens, I'm thinking more and more that it's going to be prospect(s) and/or defensive depth coming back in return for Comrie.

Old
10-07-2003, 11:13 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem
I disagree.. this team won't need any help "now" unless they lose the first few games. It'll be nice to see guys like Chimera and Horcoff get top-two line minutes.. if we struggle out of the gates then yes, Comrie needs to be traded/signed immediately.. if not, why not wait and either force him to sign for less or at least take the best possible deal. Maybe we'll come out big and other teams will struggle thus raising Comrie's value in a trade! Let's wait and see how we do Thursday night before we claim we need big time help right now..

Old
10-07-2003, 11:28 PM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Digger12[/b]]I'm thinking more and more that it's going to be prospect(s) and/or defensive depth coming back in return for Comrie.
I can agree with the above but I'm prepared to be pleasantly surprised.

Cause:

"Ya gotta know when to hold'em, and know when to fold'em, and know when to walk away."

I'm hoping K-lo is a true gambler. Win the first three games and Mike's trade value goes up but his personal salary demands go down.

He could be putting himself between a rock and a very hardball place. The Oilers aren't going to have the services of him or his replacement in any meaningful way anytime soon, so why not win a few and wait. The heavy hitters usually know enough to lay off of them high fastballs, up and in, but often suck after those sliders low and away.

Of course Comrie could sign with the Oilers prove me wrong and I'd still have a smile on my face. Well I'm off to the salt mines to earn my daily bread and water, but I'll be back game night.

Old
10-08-2003, 12:21 AM
Digger12

http://canoe.ca/EdmontonSports/es.es-10-08-0076.html

After reading this (especially the comments by Winter), the evidence just continues to mount...

This is a lot more than a run of the mill contract negotiation.

Closed Thread