HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lowe/Winter/Comrie Code of Silence

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2003, 05:14 AM
Slats432

vCash: 500
Lowe/Winter/Comrie Code of Silence

If anyone caught the Gene Principe scoop interview on Sportsnet this morning, my powers of deductive reasoning have a fairly clear picture of where things were, are and will be when it comes to the Comrie situation.

*Gene*
Mike, do you think that a contract will be done soon so you can come back to the Oilers?

*Mike*
Well, Gene, we've decided that the discussions are going to be kept silent between Kevin Lowe and Winter.

*Gene*
Do you still want to remain an Oiler?

*Mike*
Well, like I said, the business side is between Kevin and my agent and my job is to prepare myself and hopefully I will be back in the NHL soon.

The tone again is not to be an Oiler but to be playing soon. Everything this guy says comes down to one thing. I want to play but I am not going to tell you that I want to be an Oiler.

I haven't seen anyone directly say it but the negotiations have got to be....

Mike doesn't want to play here. Mike has asked Winter to ask Lowe to move him. Lowe obviously says that Mike is a great player and has a lot of value and unless he gets that value, Mike isn't going anywhere. Lowe probably has a predecided figure that has been stated to Mike and Winter and regardless of that dollar amount, Mike won't sign until he and Winter are confident that Lowe explored every reasonable possibility of Mike going elsewhere.(I don't think that Mike's contract is an issue here at all.)

All the doublespeak from Comrie is only a safety net that if a month or two down the road there still is nothing materializing on the trade front then he will have to bite the bullet and come back to Edmonton.(Obviously concerned about fan backlash.)

The way Mike Comrie carefully chose his words in the interview he did everything in his power not to lie and say he loves it here and wants to be an Oiler. He also has enough respect to not say it sucks playing in your hometown and have people ragging on you all the time.

Regardless of the outcome I have 1000 times more respect for Mike Comrie than I ever will for a guy like Curtis Joseph.(who did the opposite of Mike) He is handling this as well as anyone possibly could.

Whatever happens I wish him well.

Old
10-08-2003, 05:34 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Exactly.

You can't really fault the guy, it's not like he has a contract and won't play. He is doing everything he can, based on the CBA, to get what he feels is best for him.

And Lowe is doing the same, except for the team.

Old
10-08-2003, 05:36 AM
HotToddy

I saw the interview too, there are only two conclusions;

Comrie wants out

or Comrie and Winter have decided not to publicly state that Comrie wants to stay in Edmonton because they fear it might weaken his bargaining position.

Old
10-08-2003, 06:00 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
That's what I think it is. If he starts talking about how he really wants to stay in edmonton and wants to be an Oiler that takes away from any of the leverage me might have.

Old
10-08-2003, 06:02 AM
Yanner39

This must be bad when you want to leave the team you've been cheering for your whole life.

Old
10-08-2003, 06:20 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
That's what I think it is. If he starts talking about how he really wants to stay in edmonton and wants to be an Oiler that takes away from any of the leverage me might have.
I don't think this is true. I don't ever remember any player in any other organization going so out of their way to NOT say that they want to sign and get back to their team. The tone of most other negotiations(Even thinking to Havlat and Gaborik) the relevant discussions are about getting back to their team.

I think that he is trying to be honest on one hand and not piss people off on the other. And I admire him for it.(And my allegience to Mike Comrie has been lukewarm at best.)

Old
10-08-2003, 08:10 AM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I disagree on this one - SAYING it in public doesn't mean it's TRUE, but it would get the fans on your side a little more than NOT saying it. I don't think it has *one thing* to do with the contract negotiations (or maybe 'trade me' negotiations). In fact, if you really wanted to sign a deal with your team, it could easily be argued that really wanting to play for your team makes you MORE valuable than if you *didn't* want to play for your team.

Meaning that a GM like Lowe would far prefer to have a guy who really wants to be here and would try extra hard to sign him. If a guy didn't really want to play for the Oilers, why should he bust his hump trying to make him a great offer?

I don't see the 'leverage' thing at all...

Bart

Old
10-08-2003, 09:27 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

For a kid, MC sure is handling the situation pretty good. all he's got to do now is come out that day before he signs a contract and say "Screw the Confidentiality Agreement, I want to play in Edmonton". then all will be forgotten.

If only it was that easy.

Old
10-08-2003, 05:28 PM
Oiler_Fan

I've said it before and agree with other posters, saying he wants to play in Edmonton doesn't mean he is saying yes to a contract offer. Saying he wants to play here while asking for a trade would make him a hypocrite.

The weakness of Comrie's position is his rights are owned by the club and he cannot play NA proffesional hockey anywhere other than where the Oilers organization wants him to play. The only barganing chip he seems to think he has is the fact that he can withhold his services.

Frankly, I think the way it's playing out is a lose-lose situation for both the team and Comrie. Signing a deal with a quiet trade request allows him to play hockey, look more like a team player, and, if he plays well, makes Lowe's job of trading him to another organization for a useful asset easier. That seems to be a more win-win situation if a trade request is really what's going on here.

It's obvious that there is a bit of pride in play in both camps at the moment...

Closed Thread