HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Comrie will be signed by week's end

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2003, 07:29 PM
metallicat
@metallicat51

vCash: 500
Comrie will be signed by week's end

Mark my word. Comrie will play for the Oilers this year. Any bets against?

Old
10-08-2003, 07:35 PM
Seachd

No bets, but I'm curious as to why you think this will happen.

Old
10-08-2003, 07:36 PM
Lowetide

That would be the best case scenario, but it seems impossible at this point. Things can change though, here's hoping.

Old
10-08-2003, 07:36 PM
oildrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat
You sound pretty confident there, how come? Do you have some information that you would like to share? Or are you just getting a heated discussion going?

Old
10-08-2003, 07:41 PM
outKast*

If it's true that he doesnt want to play for us anymore then i say trade him. If it's all rumour and he just wants a contract that will enable him to stay in Edmonton longer then i hope he gets signed before the end of the week. why so optimistic? after Lowe's statements today i would think he's on his way out.

Old
10-08-2003, 07:43 PM
metallicat
@metallicat51

I don't have any info, but I also don't trust Brownlee and all guys that are bent on the idea of Comrie leaving town. I am pretty sure that Lowe, Winters, and Comrie are all professional enough to not leak information about what is going on, so how do we really know what is going to happen? I don't think Winters is going to be trying to get Comrie to leave a city that he grew up in, a year before the lockout season...what good would that do for the kid? He might as well stay in Edmonton for one more year (and I think it will be a one year deal) and then see how the market is after a new CBA gets hammered out.

Maybe I am just talking gibberish, but who knows.

Old
10-08-2003, 07:45 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Quote:
I don't have any info, but I also don't trust Brownlee and all guys that are bent on the idea of Comrie leaving town. I am pretty sure that Lowe, Winters, and Comrie are all professional enough to not leak information about what is going on, so how do we really know what is going to happen? I don't think Winters is going to be trying to get Comrie to leave a city that he grew up in, a year before the lockout season...what good would that do for the kid? He might as well stay in Edmonton for one more year (and I think it will be a one year deal) and then see how the market is after a new CBA gets hammered out.

Maybe I am just talking gibberish, but who knows.
id bet on that...he aint coming back...as much as i want him to it just isnt going to happen

Old
10-08-2003, 07:47 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I could see him back for a month or so, like Poti. I wouldn't be at all suprised to see him delt about a week and a half into the season.

Old
10-08-2003, 07:50 PM
oildrop

He's a goner, too many signs pointing that way.

Old
10-08-2003, 08:09 PM
metallicat
@metallicat51

Well, I am still optimistic.

Old
10-08-2003, 08:17 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Well, I am still optimistic.
I sadly don't share your blind optimism.......

Old
10-08-2003, 08:31 PM
mrhockey123

IMO if Mike comrie doesnt want to be an oiler, than good riddance!

If a kid born in Edmonton who got to grow up watching one of the best teams ever, a guy who's dad knows the meaning of hard work and stick-to-it iveness, wants to go to another team, then so be it.

I think it would be stupid for the oilers to sign him and keep him if he doesnt wanna be here. He would become a cancer in the dressing room and thats the last thing this team needs. Its scary but if you look at the oilers' roster, MC would jump into the mix and become one of the long(er) servinc oilers considering most of the other guys have moved on.

I dunno why he would NOT like it here but if he doesnt, let him go.

Just get something good for him!!!

Old
10-08-2003, 08:34 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't think he'd be a cancer in the dressing room - he's been pretty damn good about this whole thing.

Old
10-08-2003, 08:59 PM
oildrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I don't think he'd be a cancer in the dressing room - he's been pretty damn good about this whole thing.
That's because Comrie hasn't said anything. I bet he isn't being too good about this with Lowe or whoever he talks about this with. We'll see how good he was about all this once things are settled between himself and the Oilers.

Old
10-08-2003, 09:27 PM
mrhockey123

well said Oildrop!

Anyway I also mean even if he does relent and stay with the oilers. Hockey players are just like every other working person. If they dont like their boss they will gripe to everyone within earshot. This usualy makes every other co-worker gripe back, and pretty soon nobody gives a rat's arse which is a bad way fora team to fly

Old
10-08-2003, 09:50 PM
oilswell

Quote:
Its not a good bet. Comrie doesn't seem to want to be an Oiler, for whatever reason. The reward for screwing your team, quite frequently, is a bigger paycheque. Lowe may just want to get him out soon, thereby ensuring in the future that every player with talent will merely hint at holding out and they'll be shuttled off to a place where they make 50% more dough for themselves and their agents. Goodbye Hemsky. Nice to have seen you on your first contract. Have fun in Dallas.

But I would say that I'm still undecided at this point. I subscribe to the theory that if you don't have sufficient hard evidence, you risk being the fool if you come to a solid conclusion. Until then, you must let go of the need to be privy to The Truth and merely believe in multiple possibilities. The evidence, as I see it, is stronger now, but nowhere near leakproof.

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm a chronic skeptic and I would add that I can be a fairly persistent cynic (see first paragraph for a demonstration). The cynic in me says that this could just be standard self-interests playing out in the form of negotiations. This has been a delay and, as of now, a 1 day holdout. (Yes, all this commotion over a 1 day holdout.) Are we now going to assume a trade is inevitable for every holdout?

Also, haven't you ever been in a relationship where your partner walks around moody and seems irascible but doesn't say anything out loud and you think there's some sort of imminent blowout to occur...and it turns out you just left the toothpaste cap off and a quick apology is all that was required? Woudn't THAT be nice

Closed Thread