HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Puck in face: Another 2 close calls

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2005, 10:32 PM
octopi

vCash: 844
Puck in face: Another 2 close calls

Sundin, out for 6 weeks

Ricci, pretty face broken by puck, missed a few games

Holmstrom and Draper both struck in face by puck. Draper's injury near eye, fortunatly not serious.

If I'm not mistakken, a couple other close calls with pucks or sticks in the last few weeks as well.

Enforce visors now, before someone goes blind.

Old
10-17-2005, 10:34 PM
pens66

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi
Sundin, out for 6 weeks

Ricci, pretty face broken by puck, missed a few games

Holmstrom and Draper both struck in face by puck. Draper's injury near eye, fortunatly not serious.

If I'm not mistakken, a couple other close calls with pucks or sticks in the last few weeks as well.

Enforce visors now, before someone goes blind.
Ricci had a pretty face? I thought the guy was quite ugly.

Old
10-17-2005, 10:35 PM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
Torres I think, he got hit in the face the other day against Calgary. He was low to the ice though, but still, he got opened up pretty good.

Old
10-17-2005, 10:36 PM
Jack Canuck

Maybe grandfather them in.

Old
10-17-2005, 10:40 PM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pens66
Ricci had a pretty face? I thought the guy was quite ugly.
I left this out

Old
10-17-2005, 10:48 PM
CatscratchFever
#CatsAreComing

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
It's coming. Just too many things happening not to. Grandfathering being the most logical. But it got me thinking, the rookies coming in, it seems like most of them are wearing them and adding them into volunteers (epecially since incidents are getting frequent), maybe visors will become mandatory without even having to enforce it.

Old
10-17-2005, 11:35 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Remember when Michel Goulet went head-first into the boards at the Old Forum and effectively ended his career? That marked the end of the old "Jofa" Gretzky model helmet, which was basically a useless piece of equipment.

It seems like something even more serious has to happen for the league and its players to "get it". As serious as Berard's injury was, he is back playing with one eye...I guess even that doesn't scare the bejesus out of everyone. It's really sad.

Maybe it's time a maverick owner took a stand on the visors and traded away all players who didn't abide by company policy? Somebody has to get the ball rolling on an issue like this.

Old
10-17-2005, 11:36 PM
paxtang

What about their necks!??!?! They could get hit in the neck and die!!! Enforce neck guards now.

Old
10-17-2005, 11:37 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
On OTR (off the record) on Friday, Pronger was advocating how everyone should *remove the visors*. Yep.

Old
10-17-2005, 11:37 PM
Claypool*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Vlady27
Remember when Michel Goulet went head-first into the boards at the Old Forum and effectively ended his career? That marked the end of the old "Jofa" Gretzky model helmet, which was basically a useless piece of equipment.

I read somewhere (I forget where) but it said that for most of his career, Gretzky was still wearing that helmet even though it was illegal.

Old
10-18-2005, 02:14 AM
Pepper

It's their health, it's their career, it's their game, it's their profession, it's their livelihood.

It's their choice.

Old
10-18-2005, 02:40 AM
CHareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper
It's their health, it's their career, it's their game, it's their profession, it's their livelihood.

It's their choice.
Fans pay to see them play. Owners pay them to work. Their preventable injuries put an additional strain on already increasing health care costs in Canada and the United States, which society as a whole has to help pay for. Visors and cages never hampered their development as hockey players when they were younger, but suddenly they hit the NHL and think they have new civil liberties? Give me a break. That's just silly.

Old
10-18-2005, 02:44 AM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious
On OTR (off the record) on Friday, Pronger was advocating how everyone should *remove the visors*. Yep.

Really? Interesting.

Anything more to add about that?

Old
10-18-2005, 02:45 AM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
i think that it should be a players option. Someday im sure it will be manditory, but for now just let plays who want them wear them and those who dont want them dont. Its there own problem IMHO

Old
10-18-2005, 03:22 AM
Seiza

Send a message via ICQ to Seiza
In Sweden, all players born after a certain year (can't remember which year) must wear a visor.

Old
10-18-2005, 05:39 AM
octopi

Quote:

It's their choice.
Yeah, that works. Right.

Construction workers: Well, how many times is something going to strike somebody on the head when on the job? Might never happen. Good thing they get to choose whether to wear hard hat or not. Oh, wait, no they don't.

Old
10-18-2005, 05:41 AM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
What about their necks!??!?! They could get hit in the neck and die!!! Enforce neck guards now.
Not a bad idea, but it happens a lot less(read: nearly never) than getting hit in the face with a puck.

Speaking of which, F1 just this year enforced what is termed a "spine board" which increases survival chances in a crash, apparently, even though noone's died in almost a decade.

Old
10-18-2005, 05:45 AM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypool
I read somewhere (I forget where) but it said that for most of his career, Gretzky was still wearing that helmet even though it was illegal.
Jofa? Not sure if it was actually illegal, it did offer a level of protection, just not the ultimate level, Larionov wore it too, for most of his NHL career for some reason. Then again, neither played a very physical game.

Old
10-18-2005, 06:06 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Vlady27
This is the first time i've heard of this apparent JOFA helmet problem, just curious, does anyone remember the hit Kevin Lowe took behind his own net (can't remember off hand who it was against), he got leveled while standing almost still, got checked into the boards and then his head hit the ice hard. You could see the blood coming from the back of his helmet. Was this the same type of helmet mentioned above or had rules changed by this point? I remember this incident cos i'd not seen someone hit the back of their head on the ice while wearing a helmet and still received a bad cut from it before.

As for the visor issue, personally, i think the players should wear them but i can see why the guys who played their entire careers without would choose not to. Difficult to break the habits of a lifetime. If they were to change their minds on the issue, i only hope its not as a result of seeing a teammate or another teams player (or even themselves) receive a terrible injury. Hopefully some players can be convinced to at least try them out for a while during training so they can experience the game with the visor. And if they find it makes little difference to them, they may as well start using them in games.

Old
10-18-2005, 06:34 AM
Kimi

To add to the list, Mashall on the Ducks has been hit twice this season (one was in the preseason, but I count it).

Grandfarther it in now, or make it the law. Just make them wear something! I like the idea before of an owner trading all those that didn't wear one away. Another idea could be paying a player less when he's a UFA to be signed because he doesn't have on or something?

Old
10-18-2005, 06:41 AM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiza
In Sweden, all players born after a certain year (can't remember which year) must wear a visor.
No I think your wrong. They made it mandatory one year and all new players in the league must wear a visor, but if you had played without earlier you didn't have too. I think Tommy Sjödin in Brynäs is the last player in the SEL that plays without a visor.

Edit: Peter Andersson in Malmö did it last season but he is retired now.

Old
10-18-2005, 07:27 AM
ceber

Quote:

It's their choice.
But it's the team's salary cap.

Old
10-18-2005, 09:06 AM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
But it's the team's salary cap.
Well, the teams money, anyways, injured(for more than a few weeks) players do not count against the cap. Perhaps players should have a contract clause that stipulates any serious eye injury resulting from not wearing a visor will give the team the option of voiding the rest of the contract.

Old
10-18-2005, 09:23 AM
CHareth

Regardless of whether a player's time on the injured reserve counts against the cap or not, the point is that this kind of pointless and preventable injury based on one's own selfishness is a disservice to his team. Sure, in the abstract, we can say that this is a matter of individual choice, but that would be short sighted. It's a team game and also a business and at some point, hard decisions about mandatory safety equipment must be made to trump those individual choices - just like the decision was made years ago to require helmuts. I hate the Leafs, but I think it's unfortunate Sundin wasn't able to play against my Habs for two games. All because of a stupid, preventable injury that he himself admits has made him think about wearing a visor from now on. I hope for his sake and his team's that he does.

Old
10-18-2005, 09:48 AM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krm500
No I think your wrong. They made it mandatory one year and all new players in the league must wear a visor, but if you had played without earlier you didn't have too. I think Tommy Sjödin in Brynäs is the last player in the SEL that plays without a visor.

Edit: Peter Andersson in Malmö did it last season but he is retired now.
Actually, he's right. Any player born after 1965 must wear a visor. Peter Andersson and Tommy Sjödin are both born in 1965.

Closed Thread