HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Puck in face: Another 2 close calls

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2005, 03:36 PM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel13
Are people forgetting that there are already numerous MANDATORY safety precautions in the NHL? Helmets, pads, gloves, goalie masks, breakaway goalposts, safety netting, glass.

It's not real hockey unless you're completely naked!

The argument that visors limit vision is made moot by the fact that practially every piece of equipment that hockey players use limit their performance in some way. If players didn't have to wear pads and clothes, they wouldn't have that extra weight to slow them down. But it effects nearly all players equally, so it's not an issue. Same for visors, IMO.
good post. The only thing is that i think padding helps goalies, but that is the only instance in which padding/safety equipment truely benefits a player.

Old
10-20-2005, 05:37 PM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyman28
good post. The only thing is that i think padding helps goalies, but that is the only instance in which padding/safety equipment truely benefits a player.
I think wearing a box does when youre playing against Havlat does.

Old
10-21-2005, 12:44 AM
ScottieB27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naru
Didn't read what you wrote, but I'll pick out a few things that make it not worth reading. Look at the bold, see the problem?
Other than the last line, which I can understand people taking offense to, no, I don't see the problem. Perhaps you should have read my post... of course I'm sharing 'my thoughts', just like you and each and every other poster in this thread. And by stating "I wish Don Cherry would have never...", I was simply providing some background information relevant to the topic. Adding to the debate. This isn't university, I should be allowed to take a personal side in the issue and state my opinions, shouldn't I? How elitist are we when it comes to simple discussions @ HF?

---------- moving on ....
I see you would like the NHL to slowly implement the mandatory visor policy? What is the point of 'grandfathering' it in? The players aren't children, they're pros, grown athletes. Just do it and get it over with in one feel swoop. If anything, if the league takes a stance and decides to implement the visors for safety reasons, wouldn't the league be putting each and every player officially in danger for every single game that is played while it is known the policy will eventually be implemented?

There will be a lot of people upset with the decision, whatever it it may be, and I'd rather see the complaints last a short period of time and have everyone move on, rather than have it a topic for years to come. yes, everyone will move on. No, nobody will stop paying for merchandise and games. Yes, I will be upset that the players lose some aspect of their freedom of choice. I guess they could quit and go to Europe, but that'd be nuts to forfeit that much salary. Where will it stop? Is the poster who cracked jokes about styrofoam pucks and grass surfaces really that far off? You have to agree, plastic pucks WOULD prevent more injuries and it IS possible to implement.

But we ALL know that in the end, the league will force visors on everybody, French heritage regardless , the players will all put a smile on and spin the PR machine, because that's what "the fans" want to see. A happy, collectified NHL. Which could not be further from the truth right now.

Closed Thread