HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Hockey Broadcaster( Who are the voices of your team?)

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2005, 12:51 AM
Leaf Lander

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander

Hello minnesota fans can you all tell me who are/were the broadcasters for radio and tv for the wild and if you are older go as far back as you can to tell me who has called your games let say 3 decades ago when the north stars were your team

Please feel free to tell some broadcasting stories from the great moments in your franchise history

Thanks

here is a sample of some of the answers that i have gotten thus far!

Atlanta Thrashers

680thefan radio: Dan Kamal & Billy Jaffe
Turner South & WPXA-TV: Darren Eliot & JP Dellacamera

Boston Bruins

TV-Dale Arnold, Andy Brickley(UNH) home TV
Jack Edwards, Andy Brickley away TV
Dave Goucher, Bob Beers radio

Classic B's
Fred Cusick, Johnny Pierson, Derek Sanderson TV
Bob Wilson, Johnny Bucyk radio

Buffalo Sabres

Oh the announcers from Buffalo have to be the best:

Cmon how can you argue you with some of the best phrases ever, "LALALALALA LaFontaine" and "MayDay, May Day, MayDay". And who can forget "Top Shelf Where Moma Hides The Cookies"?

Rick Jenneret.. He is the only play by play man I have ever heard for the Sabres, well minus the national tv games. Any one who has heard him will say he is one of the best, his energy and comments are in a league of their own.

Jim Lorentz blah blah blah blah blah. He is Rick's color man and I just find him so boring. He either brings up the most irrelevant or the most obvious things I could just do without him

Carolina Hurricanes

Florida Panthers

Dave Strader is the voice of the Florida Panthers now, he is working with Denis Potvin. He does an excellent job and is a big improvement of Jeff Rimer

Montreal Canadiens

New Jersey Devils

New York Islanders

New York Rangers

TV: Sam Rosen and John Davidson
The best in the biz!

Radio: Kenny Albert and Dave Maloney
Can't comment on Dave because I've never heard him, but Kenny is pretty good

Ottawa Senators

On the radio the usual duo is Dean Brown and Gord Wilson.

If Dean is calling the game on TV his colour guy is Gary Galley, and the duo on the radio is Gord Wilson with Shaun Van Allen doing colour

Philadelphia Flyers

Pittsburgh Penguins

TV~ Mike Lange and Bob Errey

Radio~ Paul Steigerwald (sp), and Phil borque

With phrases like "Micheal, Micheal Mortorcycle" or "Get in the fast lane grandma the bingo game is about to start" mike lange is still around and he is one of the best in the buisness

I am not sure who did Pen's games before Lange. My first year following hockey was Lange's first year as our broadcaster. (I was hooked ever since.) The next season, Lange (I believe a contract dispute) was not retained, and the Penguins used recently fired long time Pittsburgh Pirate broadcaster Bob Prince to do games. Which was definitely not his forte. Prince was much more suited to slow lack baid pace of baseball. Prince was a known for telling stories during baseball games, and for his colorful phrases. Lange, credits Bob Prince greatly for the advice he gave to Lange during the early years of his career.

My guess is that Prince's colorful phrases inspired Mike Lange to come up with his. Bob Prince doing Penguin games was interesting. It was a lot of "we got it, now they got it, now we got it." I also remember he dubbing Pete Mahovolich (sp?) "Big Pete from Easy Street", and "he took the noon baloon to Saskatoon."

We are definitely lucky to have Mike Lange as an announcer. For the longest time, Mike Lange did the broadcasts solo. And my guess is that he liked it that way. When Steigy was inserted into the booth, it seemed Lange had some disdain for Steigy, and was simply 'putting up with him'. jmo

I do like believe Steigy does a good job on the radio side now. And I like Bourque a lot. Errey is getting better. Not quite so monotone.

Tampa Bay Lightning

(present voices):
Radio - Dave Mishkin & Phil Esposito
TV - Rick Peckham & Bobby Taylor (The Chief)

Toronto Maple Leaf

Washington Capitals

================================================== ===

Anaheim Mighty Ducks

Original tv broadcast crew was Chris Madsen calling the play and Brian Hayward doing the color. John Ahlers replaced Madsen in 02-03. Hayward is still around.

On the radio the current team is Steve Carroll and Brent Severyn. Matt McConnell and Charlie Simmer were the original crew. Darrin Elliot replaced Simmer, and some guy I can't remember who used to slur his words replaced McConnell

Calgary Flames

on the FAN 960 is Peter Maher

Chicago Blackhawks

Pat Foley along with Troy Murray

Foley has such a great hockey voice

Our last color man wound up being out GM, Dale Tallon

Colorado Avalanche

Radio-casts on AM 950 (KKFN, the Fan). Play by Play is done by Mike Haynes, and color analysis is done by Norm Jones. This pair have been together covering the Avs since the Avs came to Denver, and Mike Haynes is a very energetic announcer (particularly when there's a fight. His calling of the Joe Sakic/Doug Gilmour match at a game in March of 99 is still used as part of the intro to the show. "How do ya like THEM apples, Gilmour?!"

Television has now moved from Fox Sports Rocky Mountain to Altitude Sports & Entertainment Network (a new venture for Stan Kroenke.) At what would have been the start of the '04-05 season, long time television play by play caller John Kelley left, I think to take a job covering St. Louis Blues games. Peter McNab (who has all kinds of interesting stories about his experiences skating against Nordiques greats like Stasny from his own playing days with Buffalo, Boston, Vancouver and New Jersey) continues to do color analysis, and he is now joined by Doug McLeod doing play by play.

McLeod formerly called Phoenix Coyotes games, but was told that with The Grating One coming in as coach, they wanted on air personalities that looked like Waino and sounded like Waino and combed their hair like Waino- after all, they now have an image to fool people with, and they have to be consistent.

Columbus Blue Jackets

Play by Play- Jeff Rimer(formerly with Florida)
Color- Brian Engblom(formerly ESPN)

Dallas Stars

Detroit Red Wings

Ken Daniels and Mickey Redmond do the TV for the Wings. Redmond has Chrone's Disease or something like that, and he doesnt make the long road trips during the regular season. He still goes to most of the East Coast cities and St.Louis and Chicago and other closer trips. Its pretty much the West Coast trips that he skips. Verbeek is still learning, but I think he does OK.

On the radio its Ken Kal and Paul Woods. Woods is a terrific radio color man, but I CANT STAND Ken Kal's voice. I think he does ok broadcasting the game, I just hate his voice.I miss Bruce Martyn.

Edmonton Oilers

HNIC: Jim Hughson and Greg Millen
Sportsnet Oilers Hockey: Kevin Quinn and Ray Ferraro
Radio: Rod Phillips and Morley Scott

Los Angeles Kings

TV
Bob Miller / Jim Fox

Radio
Nick Nickson
Darel Evans

Nashville Predators

Minnesota Wild

television crew Dan Terhaar and Mike Greenlay.

Our radio broadcasters are much better imo are Bob Kurtz and Tom Reid

Phoenix Coyotes

St. Louis Blues

San Jose Sharks

TV: Randy Hahn and Drew Remenda (originally it was Joe Starkey (OHHH THE BAND IS OUT ON THE FIELD guy)
Radio: Dan Rusanowsky, Jaime Baker and Dave Maley (Rusanowsky has done the Sharks every year

Vancouver Canucks

Sportsnet TV: Jim Hughson and John Garrett
Radio and PPV: John Shorthouse and Tom Larscheid

Last edited by Leaf Lander: 10-20-2005 at 12:36 AM.
Old
10-18-2005, 08:21 PM
Karl

For the Wild television crew Dan Terhaar and Mike Greenlay.

Our radio broadcasters are much better imo are Bob Kurtz and Tom Reid.

Old
10-19-2005, 12:09 AM
Avalanche219

Send a message via AIM to Avalanche219 Send a message via Yahoo to Avalanche219
How can anyone forget Mike Lange in Pittsburgh?! That guys is second onlt to the buffalo guy (albeit a distant second). "Well, Scratch my back with a hacksaw!"

Old
10-20-2005, 12:33 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanche219
How can anyone forget Mike Lange in Pittsburgh?! That guys is second onlt to the buffalo guy (albeit a distant second). "Well, Scratch my back with a hacksaw!"
i got some stories about him o nthe pens board

I ask a few boards aday this question so im nto really spamming as much as i am collecting stories from a rich pot

Closed Thread