HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Bob McKenzie on Comrie

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2003, 04:04 PM
dem

vCash: 500
Bob McKenzie on Comrie

Was just on TSN and basically said its not a money issue at all... Comrie just doesnt want to play in Edmonton.

Also said that Lowe hasnt been actively looking to trade him. Says he will only trade him for a top level prospect or an equal front line player.

Old
10-08-2003, 04:10 PM
Lowetide

Which makes sense EXCEPT that Edmonton has clear and immediate needs. It makes sense to let Comrie sit as long as it takes, but in the very difficult West a slow start might mean the difference between 7th and 10th.

If they can get some help in the middle, or a solid defenseman with 3-5 years experience, I think they should pull the trigger. get it done.

Old
10-08-2003, 04:12 PM
oildrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem
Was just on TSN and basically said its not a money issue at all... Comrie just doesnt want to play in Edmonton.

Also said that Lowe hasnt been actively looking to trade him. Says he will only trade him for a top level prospect or an equal front line player.
Well with all of the media guys and whatnot now saying that Comrie is likely gone, I think we can say that he is done as an Oiler. There are too many sources, or whatever you want to call them, saying Comrie is gone so he likely is. Now it's just a matter of time and hopefully it's sooner rather than later. Oilers could have another top 2 line player in the lineup if they dealt him. But waiting a little while MIGHT not be a bad idea as some teams might run into some injuries or not be happy with their lineups. Such as the Flyers who just lost LeClair for 2 to 4 weeks with a broken foot.

Old
10-08-2003, 04:12 PM
dem

Does it really matter if the Oilers finish low?

Its not like theyre going to win the cup this year.... Id welcome the higher pick

Old
10-08-2003, 05:05 PM
Mr Sakich

The reality is that we have a decent team and lowe probably isn't going to get a superstar in return. How much is an ugrade of gomez over horcoff because that is who will lose the ice time if we get gomez.

For the first time in many years, the oilers have depth AND a couple of pretty good guys just waiting in our minor league city : Toronto.

I would rather see a guy who will be equivelent to ruutu or pitkanen this tme next year than a guy equivelent to a selmo right now.

Old
10-08-2003, 05:17 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I'd like to see some blueline help first of all. I think it'd really be great for this team to be able to deal one of Cross, Ferguson, Bergeron along with comrie to get a top pairing Dman.

Old
10-08-2003, 05:20 PM
Game 8

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor dyck
The reality is that we have a decent team and lowe probably isn't going to get a superstar in return. How much is an ugrade of gomez over horcoff because that is who will lose the ice time if we get gomez.

For the first time in many years, the oilers have depth AND a couple of pretty good guys just waiting in our minor league city : Toronto.

I would rather see a guy who will be equivelent to ruutu or pitkanen this tme next year than a guy equivelent to a selmo right now.
I agree, do what is best for the organization and get someone who is really going to help. Low would be foolish to do otherwise, the organization is well stocked in all positions with players who will be able to do the job. Time to look for something special...............

Old
10-08-2003, 05:31 PM
Oiler_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem

McKenzie probably came to that conclusion after reading the HF Oiler message boards

Old
10-08-2003, 05:49 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Which makes sense EXCEPT that Edmonton has clear and immediate needs. It makes sense to let Comrie sit as long as it takes, but in the very difficult West a slow start might mean the difference between 7th and 10th.

If they can get some help in the middle, or a solid defenseman with 3-5 years experience, I think they should pull the trigger. get it done.
Lowetide, is EDM building a contender, or not? If they are, they wait for a fit, plain and simple, no taking less just to get rid of a headache.

This team may well miss the playoffs anyways, with or without Comrie, I wouldn't even worry about that part of things.

Old
10-08-2003, 05:52 PM
Mizral

I am hearing Carolina is very interested... but do not know if they've given Lowe an idea what they'd give up for him.

*shrugs*

Maybe.. somebody like Eric Cole could be returning? I have no idea.

Maybe the Panthers - as rumoured? Perhaps they would move Weiss off for Comrie?

I still feel the most likely spot for Comrie to end up is in with the New York Islanders. History of trading there, and I feel they have a bunch of players that Lowe would be interersted in. Jason Blake, Mattias Weinhandl, Dave Scatchard, and Adrian Aucoin all come to mind.

Old
10-08-2003, 05:53 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler_Fan
McKenzie probably came to that conclusion after reading the HF Oiler message boards
My thoughts exactly.

Old
10-08-2003, 06:00 PM
Game 8

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
I am hearing Carolina is very interested... but do not know if they've given Lowe an idea what they'd give up for him.

*shrugs*

I still feel the most likely spot for Comrie to end up is in with the New York Islanders. History of trading there, and I feel they have a bunch of players that Lowe would be interersted in. Jason Blake, Mattias Weinhandl, Dave Scatchard, and Adrian Aucoin all come to mind.
Yes the Isles and Edmonton have a history of trading, my thoughts are that the only player left which would be a fit is Depietro, and that seems remote. Although Bates and Depietro would spark some interest, in that there would be an instant benefit to the team. Not meant to imply that would be an even trade.

Old
10-08-2003, 06:10 PM
Hairball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler_Fan
Does that mean I broke the story on Sunday?

"Does it really matter if the Oilers finish low?

Its not like theyre going to win the cup this year.... Id welcome the higher pick"

Isn't that a bit of a defeatist attitude Dem?

Old
10-08-2003, 06:14 PM
dem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball

Isn't that a bit of a defeatist attitude Dem?
Realistic :p

Old
10-08-2003, 06:28 PM
jadeddog

i kinda agree with dem.... comrie for 2 really good prospects or 1 "for sure great" prospect might be the best thing afterall.....

lets face it, we all know edmonton has a pretty good team this year... might even finish as high as 6th or 7th if a bunch of things fall their way this year.... but a top 4 team they are not, and a team that is "in the hunt" they are not..... klowe has said they are building a team for after 2004 MANY MANY times now, i say keep on that track and make a deal that makes us better after 2004, moreso than it makes us better right now

i know thats a hard thing to admit for most of us, as we would like our beloved oilers to finsh high and go far in the playoffs, but we all know thats a pretty unlikely situation..... this team (assuming 2004 levels out the field a bit) should be very good after the CBA gets worked out... another top rated prospect would do nothing but increase out chances of being the next senators after 2004

Old
10-08-2003, 06:31 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
Lowetide, is EDM building a contender, or not? If they are, they wait for a fit, plain and simple, no taking less just to get rid of a headache.

This team may well miss the playoffs anyways, with or without Comrie, I wouldn't even worry about that part of things.
I agree Lowe has all the cards, and he should certainly get full value. I'm just not convinced he can't get it right away. This is a 23 year old center who has scored 30 goals in a season already in his career. If you're Carolina, and you're interested, don't you want that guy before someone else gets him? Wouldn't you rather have him asap?

I'm not saying go out and get 50 cents on the dollar, but Edmonton has enough holes that a fit with a genuinely interested club should be easy when compared to a 6 million dollar salary dump or a guy who's ufa in a year.

Old
10-08-2003, 06:39 PM
mrhockey123

Quote:

*shrugs*

Im sure the oilers would be asking for An Eric, but more like Eric Staal. No? click buzz

Old
10-08-2003, 06:42 PM
mamettt

It is imperative, IMO, that we get quality return for comrie. Let us state facts as facts: comrie is a 23 year old former 30 goal scorer who has shown that he can play as a #1 centre, and most definetly a #2. His offensive skills are amazing, and at 23, is far from stopped growing. How good will he be at 26 or 27, when he's added an inch or two and put on some weight? Comrie has shown an ability to be a leader(stepping in for doug weight, coming up with big goals) as well as the ability to play decently defensively. He has moments of complete abscence in his own zone, but he's not the pavel bure clone that uninformed posters have made him out to be. In short, comrie is any GM's dream...talented, young, and has had success in this league. He's also very cheap for most teams without the bonuses hanging over him. For comrie, I expect nothing less than an under 25 player who can step right in now or in the near future(by the end of the season) and can make a significant impact on this team. We cannot afford to get marginal prospects; we cannot afford to get a quantity over quality prospects. If we trade comrie, we need to get good return. In the short term, it could mean the difference btw 9th and 8th. Over the long term, losing a 60-80(high end potential) point center could be disastorous, unless we can say..."yeah, we let him go, but look at what we got for him".

Old
10-08-2003, 06:43 PM
dem

Um... i think comrie is done growing upwards at 23 :p

Old
10-08-2003, 06:51 PM
oildrop

Quote:

*shrugs*

Well Mizral, you've been right before with some of your rumours so Carolina could be a player in this deal. I think Comrie will be getting moved to the Eastern Conference so he can't come back to haunt the Oilers.

Anyways, if Carolina is interested I see Vasicek as ONE of the guys coming back. Lowe has been high on him before and apparently they have moved him to the wing. Maybe him and a d-man or even goalie prospect for Comrie?? I just see Vasicek as a name probably being mentioned IF the two teams are even talking.

Old
10-08-2003, 07:14 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildrop
Well Mizral, you've been right before with some of your rumours so Carolina could be a player in this deal. I think Comrie will be getting moved to the Eastern Conference so he can't come back to haunt the Oilers.

Anyways, if Carolina is interested I see Vasicek as ONE of the guys coming back. Lowe has been high on him before and apparently they have moved him to the wing. Maybe him and a d-man or even goalie prospect for Comrie?? I just see Vasicek as a name probably being mentioned IF the two teams are even talking.
Let me be clear, while I do have 'sources' (heh heh, I love that), none of which are talking to me regarding Comrie (they don't know much either).

However, what I do know is that a while ago, Rutherford was questioned if his team would have use for a guy like Comrie, and he said something to the effect, 'Well, we do feel that whenever you can add goal scorers to a team, you take a step forward'. I can't remember much about this, so forgive me if I'm not close here (regarding his exact words).

However, I agree, Vasicek is a real possibility. Vasicek has massive upside, but big questions about his ability to fit in on the Canes. They are going to move him to left wing, as you mentioned and play him with Eric Staal perhaps. I would say he's most certainly available, as moving players around on the ice usually means they are getting fed up with that player.

Vasicek doesn't have the value to land Comrie, but Vasicek + a player or a prospect certainly does. Or, conversely, how about this proposal:

Cole & Vasicek for Comrie & Moreau? Moreau is essentially a poor-man's Cole, and Vasicek.. well, could potentially be as good or better than Comrie! It's a major risk, and I'm not sure if the Canes would be interested, mind you. It certainly adds goal scoring to the Canes, and they have sandpaper guys like Cole all throughout the team. Especially with Markov now back on the team.

As for the poster who mentioned Staal, I really doubt they'd move him. 7 goals in the preseason really gives the Canes a ton of confidence in this kid. I would say his trade value to the Canes is no different to, say, Jason Spezza's to the Senators. I don't think they'd move him at this moment, even for a player of Comrie's goal-scoring abilities.

Old
10-08-2003, 07:17 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

I could see this:
Comrie, third
for
Cole, second

Plus the Oilers have the right to swap firsts in the draft

Only thing is that makes our LW even more insanely crowded!

Old
10-08-2003, 07:20 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

I know they just got him, but what about Markov?

Cole, Markov, second
for
Comrie, Ferguson

Whatta ya think? Danny is tougher'n nails and is good on the POWERPLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
10-08-2003, 07:22 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Actually the Canes are getting bum ***** in that one.... scratch the second - thats more like it...

Old
10-08-2003, 07:27 PM
oildrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I could see this:
Comrie, third
for
Cole, second

Plus the Oilers have the right to swap firsts in the draft

Only thing is that makes our LW even more insanely crowded!

I think the Oilers could do better then Cole + a 2nd for Comrie + a 3rd. Comrie.

Closed Thread