HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr's goals

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2005, 12:56 PM
You 'Orns!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Jagr's goals

So now that I've had a few games to watch the Return of the Jagr (gotta get me some photoshop for that one), something has surprised me. I was expecting to see Jagr carrying the puck more, taking it to the net, shielding the puck with his body, using his leg strength to score goals. Instead, his goals have been a lot of tight-angle and now high-slot wristers.

I'm not complaining, they've all been great shots. It's as if he just decides "I will score now" and puts the puck in the net -- you can't give him any space anywhere in the offensive zone. I also absolutely love how he, Nylander and Straka move the puck between each other (and Tyutin, too last night).

His goals are different from what I expected, though. I think perhaps Jagr has become a little more subtle over the last year. Anyone else think so, too?

Old
10-18-2005, 01:10 PM
Levitate

yeah he seems to be relying on his shot a little more (though he's always loved shooting a quick wrister from the circle on the PP), maybe because he's not quite as quick as he used to be...but if he's getting results, then hey...

Old
10-18-2005, 01:25 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

A lot of teams are also really going for Jagr, they dont really have to worry about Nylander since he always passing, and they are underestimating Ruchinsky (which is why he has..4 or 5 goals already)....hes just getting pressured a lot more so its harder for him to carry the puck....but when he has a chance to carry...he usually does.

Old
10-18-2005, 01:26 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
So now that I've had a few games to watch the Return of the Jagr (gotta get me some photoshop for that one), something has surprised me. I was expecting to see Jagr carrying the puck more, taking it to the net, shielding the puck with his body, using his leg strength to score goals. Instead, his goals have been a lot of tight-angle and now high-slot wristers.

I'm not complaining, they've all been great shots. It's as if he just decides "I will score now" and puts the puck in the net -- you can't give him any space anywhere in the offensive zone. I also absolutely love how he, Nylander and Straka move the puck between each other (and Tyutin, too last night).

His goals are different from what I expected, though. I think perhaps Jagr has become a little more subtle over the last year. Anyone else think so, too?

I don't know what I was expecting but this quote from the Post is interesting:

The two goals by Jagr gave him six in seven games on the season, all on the power play. They also leave him with a career total of 543 goals, second only to Jari Kurri's 601 among European-born players after breaking a tie with Stan Mikita.

To hear Jagr tell it, he scored the first 450 or so without knowing how to shoot a one-time slap shot.

"Sergei Gonchar taught that to me in Washington two years ago," said Jagr. "I didn't know how to shoot until then, really."

http://www.nypost.com/sports/rangers/53652.htm

Old
10-18-2005, 03:45 PM
zacn

If you look at both of Jagr's goals on Monday, they basically designed a play in practice that is the "How we will score using Jagr when we have a 5-3." Straka plays deep on the goalline and the left defensemen waits a little above the hashmarks and the two play keep away to draw the defenseman and the right wing to them and open up a lane for Jagr who just stands there and then winds up once they get him the puck and shoots through the traffic in front. They have also used him as a magnet in non 5-3 situations, sucking people towards him and leaving ruchinsky open for needle threading passes. I think once the league starts to figure it out a bit more and doesn't take the bait as much, he will start to work more but right now, he doesn't have to so why bother?

Old
10-18-2005, 03:50 PM
JCProdigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
I don't know what I was expecting but this quote from the Post is interesting:

The two goals by Jagr gave him six in seven games on the season, all on the power play. They also leave him with a career total of 543 goals, second only to Jari Kurri's 601 among European-born players after breaking a tie with Stan Mikita.

To hear Jagr tell it, he scored the first 450 or so without knowing how to shoot a one-time slap shot.

"Sergei Gonchar taught that to me in Washington two years ago," said Jagr. "I didn't know how to shoot until then, really."

http://www.nypost.com/sports/rangers/53652.htm
Did one of the most prolific goal scorers of the 90s just admit that he didn't know how to shoot a one-timer during that time?!?! WOW, right now somwhere on some golf course, Brett Hull just shanked his tee shot.

Old
10-18-2005, 04:21 PM
Fletch

I believe it...

his goals seem to come from him creating something, as opposed to someone finding him open for the one-time shot. And I never really thought he had a slapshot - and after seeing him shoot yesterday, he doesn't. Can't believe he nailed two of the same shot.

Old
10-18-2005, 04:25 PM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
his goals seem to come from him creating something, as opposed to someone finding him open for the one-time shot. And I never really thought he had a slapshot - and after seeing him shoot yesterday, he doesn't. Can't believe he nailed two of the same shot.
Yeah, I agree. I thought during last night's game that those two goals looked kinda awkward for one-timers. Rather, they were more like extremely accurate sweeps.

Old
10-18-2005, 04:30 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

It's true, I never remember seeing Jagr one-time a slap shot in his Pittsburgh days. It's nice to see him back to dominant levels and with an added wrinkle to his game.

So far, so good with the great Jaromir Jagr Manhattan project I would say.

Keep it going, 68!

Old
10-18-2005, 05:41 PM
zacn

No I agree, he definately has been creating a lot of his own goals as well as the goals other rangers score, even those he doesn't assist on. I just have also noticed that the rangers are taking advantage of the fact that all the teams are just so conscious of jagr and that in itself has been helping quite a bit.

Closed Thread