HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

World Jrs: OHL teams keeping guys at home?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-07-2005, 08:56 PM
  #1
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,521
vCash: 500
World Jrs: OHL teams keeping guys at home?

I am kinda surprised that Wolski and McGrath are not going to be at tryouts camp. What gives?

Any chance these guys were held back by their teams to make up ground in the league points? Wolski in particualr should be there and I am not buying any of that "role playing" crap. Either that or the World Jrs selection group has really dumbed down a lot.

What gives?

JrHockeyFan is offline  
Old
12-07-2005, 09:43 PM
  #2
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan
I am kinda surprised that Wolski and McGrath are not going to be at tryouts camp. What gives?

Any chance these guys were held back by their teams to make up ground in the league points? Wolski in particualr should be there and I am not buying any of that "role playing" crap. Either that or the World Jrs selection group has really dumbed down a lot.

What gives?
No chance in hell that Kitchener and Brampton asked that their players be passed over.

CharlieGirl is offline  
Old
12-08-2005, 05:33 AM
  #3
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,952
vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan
What gives?


Wolski can't score 5 on 5 plain and simple. There are too many other good, young players who can to have a guy on the team who is nothing more than a power play specialist

GKJ is offline  
Old
12-08-2005, 11:00 AM
  #4
superjonathan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: london, uk
Country: Canada
Posts: 207
vCash: 500
i think, more appropriately, that sentence should read, "Wolski won't score 5 on 5 plain and simple." he's very talented but his effort level has been terrible.

superjonathan is offline  
Old
12-10-2005, 02:02 PM
  #5
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,521
vCash: 500
I heard that

I heard about this "5 on 5 thing". It is similar to complaints about Schremp. I'm not buying.

Peculiar how being successful on the power play is made into a negative.

Sometimes I think the guys picking these Junior teams are not seeing the forest for the trees.

JrHockeyFan is offline  
Old
12-10-2005, 10:26 PM
  #6
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...
 
Ex Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan
I heard about this "5 on 5 thing". It is similar to complaints about Schremp. I'm not buying.

Peculiar how being successful on the power play is made into a negative.

Sometimes I think the guys picking these Junior teams are not seeing the forest for the trees.
With Wolski, it really is an effort thing. The criticism that he doesn't score 5 on 5 is fair, he lacks effort. On the PP, it's easy (to a certain extent).

Ex Storm is offline  
Old
12-11-2005, 12:43 PM
  #7
macleafs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 161
vCash: 500
Who would you take off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan
I am kinda surprised that Wolski and McGrath are not going to be at tryouts camp. What gives?

Any chance these guys were held back by their teams to make up ground in the league points? Wolski in particualr should be there and I am not buying any of that "role playing" crap. Either that or the World Jrs selection group has really dumbed down a lot.

What gives?
Who out of the players on the list that play the same roles as these guys would you take off the roster?

macleafs is offline  
Old
12-11-2005, 10:34 PM
  #8
Default101
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,064
vCash: 500
they simply aren't allowed to hold players back at that level

Default101 is offline  
Old
12-13-2005, 08:36 AM
  #9
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,521
vCash: 500
Hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyime
With Wolski, it really is an effort thing. The criticism that he doesn't score 5 on 5 is fair, he lacks effort. On the PP, it's easy (to a certain extent).
I don't know about this effort thing. I don't believe you can play as many games as he did with Colorado without having some kind of work ethic.

Perhaps the measure of effort is a bit tainted by the quality of the players he is playing with? Possible?

JrHockeyFan is offline  
Old
12-13-2005, 08:58 AM
  #10
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,521
vCash: 500
Well . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleafs
Who out of the players on the list that play the same roles as these guys would you take off the roster?
For openers there always seems to be a western bias to these rosters. If the players are not from the WHL (13 I believe) they are college players from the west.

Chucko is one guy I would question. He must be some kind of role player because his college scoring is not that great. Half a point a game last year and the same so far this year. Was drafted by Calgary (more Western connections).

JrHockeyFan is offline  
Old
12-13-2005, 09:06 AM
  #11
hockeyGod
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan
For openers there always seems to be a western bias to these rosters. If the players are not from the WHL (13 I believe) they are college players from the west.

Chucko is one guy I would question. He must be some kind of role player because his college scoring is not that great. Half a point a game last year and the same so far this year. Was drafted by Calgary (more Western connections).
And by Suttts brother...hmmmmm

hockeyGod is offline  
Old
12-13-2005, 11:15 AM
  #12
superjonathan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: london, uk
Country: Canada
Posts: 207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan
Perhaps the measure of effort is a bit tainted by the quality of the players he is playing with? Possible?
no it's definately an effort thing. you can see it in every stride. he looks utterly disinterested in playing for brampton. i don't doubt that his talent level is very high. i just doubt he has the desire to match it (in brampton atleast).

(this is all assuming he hasn't totally altered his attitude in the last 2 weeks cuz i haven't seen him in a couple)

superjonathan is offline  
Old
12-13-2005, 02:30 PM
  #13
EazyB97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 27,938
vCash: 500
Wolski's a guy they had to take a chance on. If they had Crosby, Spezza nad Bouwmeester as 16 year olds playing extremely limited roles, Crosby and Spezza basically only playing PP's, they should have Wolski there. If he is motivated, he can definately help the team. If he isn't, you sit him in the press box infavour of someone who would deserves it more. It's really a no-risk situation having him, they should've talked to him before the camp, told him he's basically **** if he doesn't try, and gone from there.

EazyB97 is online now  
Old
12-14-2005, 02:15 PM
  #14
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...
 
Ex Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan
I don't know about this effort thing. I don't believe you can play as many games as he did with Colorado without having some kind of work ethic.

Perhaps the measure of effort is a bit tainted by the quality of the players he is playing with? Possible?
The other thing to consider is that maybe he lacks effort in junior because he's already played pro and knows he could make it anyway?

Ex Storm is offline  
Old
12-15-2005, 09:17 AM
  #15
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,521
vCash: 500
Possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyime
The other thing to consider is that maybe he lacks effort in junior because he's already played pro and knows he could make it anyway?
I guess that is possible. I can say this though. The Brampton team has never really been a hotbed of emotion any time I watched them.

I gotta think playing WJC would be plenty of motivation for Wolski. He certainly merited a trip to camp. The braintrust this year is just too fixated on Western players. I think they are gonna wish they had some scorers instead of WHL style grinders.

JrHockeyFan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.