HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Who are your "untouchables"...

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2005, 06:59 PM
Transported Upstater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
Do we really need to start this again? Just because he's not on your team, he's labeled a fringe player....if you dont like him, then dont bring him up.

Regardless of my opinion of Avery, I agree...

Old
10-19-2005, 07:01 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19
Anaheim:

Untouchable:

Joffrey Lupul
Corey Perry
Ryan Getzlaf

Trade Bait:

Ruslan Salei
Petr Sykora

Everyone else on the roster is somewhere in between untouchable and trade bait.

How is Smid doing?

Old
10-19-2005, 07:06 PM
Miller Time

Outside of Brodeur & Luongo, and maybe (Turco-Theodore), I don't think any veteran player in the league would be an untouchable in my books...

As for young guys, Crosby, Ovechkin, Lethonen, Phaneuf, Spezza and maybe Richards (Phi)...

Everyone else (the Iginla's, Pronger's, Belfour's, Boumeester's ect) would be fair game given the right deal.

As for my team (the habs), I'd deal anyone given the right return (though it would have to be pretty damn high for Theodore, Koivu, Kovalev or any of our emerging young talent)

Old
10-19-2005, 07:15 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo
The Sabres have just two untouchables: Vanek & Briere.

Peace out.
You gotta have Miller in there and probably Kalinin

Old
10-19-2005, 07:38 PM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59
Yes, I am. Drake is the heart and Soul of this team and has been for some time. For what it would take to pry him out of St. Louis he might as well be considered untouchable.
Listing Dallas Drake and Patrick Lalime as untouchable is pretty funny. Untradeable, maybe, but untouchable? Come on.

Old
10-19-2005, 11:00 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransportedUpstater
How is Smid doing?
pretty well in the AHL from what I have heard.

I didn't list Smid, Bobby Ryan, and Brendan Mikkelson as untouchables because I was only listing untouchables from the NHL roster.

Old
10-19-2005, 11:26 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
not going anywhere:
Eric Staal
Cam Ward
Josef Vasicek
Andrew Ladd
Jack Johnson
Erik Cole
Brett Hedican
Rod Brind'Amour
Justin Williams
Oleg Tverdovsky
Cory Stillman

hard to get:
Matt Cullen
Kevyn Adams
Glen Wesley
Ray Whitney
Martin Gerber
Justin Peters
Danny Richmond

I figure that anyone else would be available for trade.

Old
10-24-2005, 12:53 AM
SaveByHexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
Wang's given a hold onto
heh heh.

Old
10-24-2005, 01:05 AM
Melrose'sMullet

I think Milan Hejduk and his multi year contract at 3.8 per year are untouchable.

Old
10-25-2005, 12:29 PM
kolider

For THIS YEAR alone, there are a few players the Sens will defintley not move:

Spezza
Alfredsson
Heatley
Chara
Redden
Hasek
Fisher
Phillips
Volchenkov
Meszaros
Emery
Neil

Guys they would trade but probably wouldn't really want to:
Schaefer
Havlat
Vermette
Eaves
Schubert
Varada

Guys they would trade if somebody actually wanted them and offered something half-decent in return:

Pothier
McGrattan
Kelly
Smolinski

This is solely based on what the Sens want to accomplish this year, this does not include possible contract problems come offseason....

Old
10-25-2005, 01:00 PM
Ronald Pagan

This has been mentioned previously but most people haven't the slightest idea what untouchable means. Untouchable means you wouldn't trade them even if a fantastic unbalanced gift offer was made. That makes 98% of the 'untouchables' in this thread a total joke.

Calgary Untouchables:

Phaneuf
Kiprusoff

THAT'S IT!

Old
10-25-2005, 01:21 PM
Year of the Shark!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209
From my reads of Doug Wilson:

Untouchable:

Marleau
Sturm
Michalek
Cheechoo

Touchable (but VERY expensive):

Nabokov
Hannan (borderline untouchable)
McLaren

I think anyone else could be dealt for the right price if DW got an offer he couldn't refuse, but I don't see him actively looking to move anyone.

I would put Hannan in the "Untouchable" catagory since he is our best defenseman and would use Nabokov definately as trade bait, preferably Eastern Conference team.

Old
10-25-2005, 01:24 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Panthers

No one

We got Keenan at helm

Old
10-25-2005, 02:21 PM
salty justice

Some of these posts are just ridiculous. Teams have at most 2-3 players that are completely untouchable.

If the right deal comes along at the right time almost any non franchise player is tradeable. Core players can and will be traded to make a better team if needed.

Ruutu is the closest to untouchable in Chicago. Tallon, like any other GM, would entertain offers for anyone else. Id bet theres less than 40 "untouchable" players in the league.

Old
10-25-2005, 02:40 PM
Michael Karlstrom II

vCash:
for everyone complaing about the posts and trying to get so tight on the definition of 'untouchable' remember that Wayne Gretzky was dealt and so was Raymond Bourque.

No player in the NHL is untouchable... even when there was such a thing as a no-trade clause.

I think this thread is more designed to be informative to posters here on the board as to how fans view their assets. Alot of the entertainment on this particular board comes when one fan makes a trade proposal and then the rest of us get to do a thumbs up or thumbs down.

None of us are experts on every single team. It is interesting here to get other fans views on who they think should get mentioned in 'fantasy' trade proposals and who would draw ire if one of us tried to 'rip him off' in one of our ridiculous suggestions for an exchange.

And as for what makes a player untouchable... it really can be a number of factors. Realistically though the only real reason for anyone to ever be untouchable is because he is better than the alternative for you. A 4th line guy can be untouchable if he has a nice contract and happens to fit your team more than he'd fit another team making his trade value less to you than what he brings himself.

realistically, no team in the NHL is going to change more than 1/3rd of its roster in the course of any given year, so if fans are telling you that 2/3rd of their lineup isnt going anywhere by their standards of evaluation as a resonable expert on their team... than chances are they will be proven correct by the time the year winds down.

What might be a more interesting thread here as a sticky of sorts is a contest... we can each name 3 guys who ABSOLUTELY will not be dealt, and maybe 3 who will be moved no matter what and then see at the end of the year who scores highest?

Maybe 1 point for each trade guy that gets moved but -3 for any untouchable that gets dealt.

For the record my picks just for the Bruins if I was going to play my game would be to say that Bergeron/Leetch/Thornton are not going anywhere in a deal

Dallman/Hilbert/Samsonov now appear the most likely guys that could be dealt given their situations and what value they could have towards helping Boston with their needs for this year.

Old
10-25-2005, 07:17 PM
HockeyMan9

Columbus
Nash
Brule
Zherdev (though it may be possible for him to be moved, but it would take a lot)

It's highly unlikely that anyone of Columbus's young forwards are moved, given that Maclean wouldn't add Picard to a package for Pronger (although what the rest of the package consisted of is unknown). Foote is also pretty close to untouchable, but all of our veterans could be had for the right price, some much cheaper than others.

Old
10-25-2005, 09:15 PM
Michigan Wolverine

Los Angeles Kings

I agree that there is no truly "untouchable" player, but there certainly are players that are very, very unlikely to change addresses anytime soon.

For the Kings, right now that looks like:

Frolov - his contract, talent, and age suggest that the Kings won't move him anytime soon

Brown - his total package of talent, age, attitude, and style of play (power forward) all make him too good a fit for GM Dave Taylor to ever consider moving him; also, dirt cheap and still an RFA next contract negotiation so little motivation from that point-of-view

Gleason - the paucity of good, young defensemen that have come up through the Kings organization makes me think that they'll hold onto him; like Brown, dirt cheap and still an RFA next negotation so he's a GM's dream

After that, I'd consider adding Visnovsky for a few reasons. The Kings have rejected inquiries about him in the recent past (according to rumors and reports). They have no other offensive defensemen in the mix right now (Grebeshkov is slow to arrive). His contract is reasonable for his skill set. Last, but not least, I can't foresee a deal where the Kings move Visnovsky and get better on their blueline which (arguably) is already lacking in firepower and is their weakest link.

Furthermore, Robitaille and Bure both signed hometown-discount contracts, so it'd be really poor form and uncharacteristic of Dave Taylor if the Kings dealt either one. Roenick is unmoveable as well, mainly because of his contract.

But beyond the first three and maybe Visnovsky, that's it.

I think that these long, long lists of "untouchables" are predicated on a very loose, liberal interpretation of what an "untouchable" player is and/or a bit of homer-ism.

Old
10-26-2005, 09:30 AM
miser

There are no absolute untouchables anymore ... Gretzky to LA proved that.
These days, it’s even more about the money.
There are, however, players who if traded would cause the home team fans to have convulsions. There are people who are synonymous with their jersey, such as Sakic in Colorado. Remember, this is not to be confused with who the team could ill-afford to lose. The two prong test is: if you think of a teams roster you can only see a single person in that jersey and if you name the player a particular (single) jersey immediately comes to mind.

For the Canadian teams, it might look like:

Vancouver = Naslund (not Bertuzzi)
Calgary = Iginla
Edmonton = Smyth
Toronto = Sundin (not Belfour)
Ottawa = Alfredsson (not Redden, could be Chara/Heatley down the line)
Montréal = Théodore (not Koivu)

And the rest of the list goes like this ...

Anaheim = No one right now (Scott Niedermayer still looks like a Devil)
Atlanta = Kovalchuk
Boston = Thornton
Buffalo = No one (maybe Brière in 5 years)
Carolina = No one really, maybe Brind'Amour, I still see him as a Flyer (Staal = heir apparent)
Chicago = No one now and likely no one ever again.
Colorado = Sakic
Columbus = Nash
Dallas = Modano (Guerin has been with many teams and Turco is too iffy).
Detroit = Yzerman
Florida = No one, (could’ve been Luongo before the Keenan contract fight)
LA = No one, (the closest might be Avery & that's just plain dumb - and so is he!)
Minnesota = Gaborik
Nashville = No one, yet (maybe Legwand or Hartnell down the line).
NJ = Brodeur
NYI = No one now (maybe DiPietro in a few years, if Milbury’s trigger finger isn’t itchy).
NYR = Jagr (but only because its the big apple, otherwise no one).
Philadelphia = Gagne *
Phoenix = Gretzky, because no one can shine in his shadow (Doan/Nagy in the future)
Pittsburgh = Lemieux (someday Crosby either as the heir apparent or as a flop)
St. Louis = No one and going down hill fast.
SJ = Nabokov (maybe Cheechoo or Marleau in the future)
Tampa Bay = Lecavalier
Washington = No one now, Ovechkin could be the real deal over time.

* Before Flyer fans freak out … Forsberg will always be known as an Av first, part of the Lindros/Quebec fiasco and spleen-less; before being synonymous with Philly.

Let the flamin' begin ...

Old
10-26-2005, 10:55 AM
kolider

A lot of you saying "untouchable" is non-existent in the NHL are basically correct however, if thats the case, then this entire thread is absolutley 100% pointless.

Yet, I believe there are many players on most teams that would not get traded mainly because either a. too many people would get pissed off b. theres nobody that could come back the other way to legitimatley fill a gap through dealing the said player OR c. no team will give up what the player is actually worth.

I mean look, take one of your best players from your respective team and pretend you put him on the block. Think of anything you would want back for said player and let those teams fans respond in kind. I'll almost guarantee that nobody will agree that it's a suitable deal for both teams. Thus, these players become untouchable because teams end up making themselves worse instead of better.

Case in point, I'll pretend to put Jason Spezza on the trade block. Make me an offer that would actually work for the Sens and your team all the while keeping within salary caps...

Old
10-26-2005, 01:05 PM
Ronald Pagan

Someone earlier made the great point that needs to be reiterated. The only players that can be considered untouchable right now are young stars, highly rated prospects and franchise goalies.

The reason?

Young stars have a maximum of 7 years committed to their team at a relatively cheap price. The production to cap space ratio is best used on them so GMs will likely never move them until they are eligible for UFA, the same with super prospects.

Franchise goalies are untouchable because well you would just never trade one unless you were getting another franchise goalie back. If you don't get one back you will be downgrading your team no matter what. The only instance where a franchise goalie will be traded without another one coming back is if the team has two possible franchise goalies and one is expendable.

Old
10-28-2005, 01:59 AM
hockeyfan33

LA:

Frolov
Brown
Cammalleri
Gleason
Avery (he falls in the age group and fits a role)

everybody else can be had for the right price, escpecially any one of our older players or prospects (which we have an abundance of)

I get a kick out of some of the names I see on these lists.

Old
10-28-2005, 02:03 AM
RoyIsALegend*

Colorado
--------
Joe Sakic(no-trade clause)
Rob Blake(no-trade clause)
Alex Tanguay
Milan Hejduk
John-Michael Liles

That's it, in my opinion.

Old
10-28-2005, 02:12 AM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
on the Isles

real easy

DiPietro .....without him we are in the lottery

10-28-2005, 02:22 AM
Bluesman

Gabby for the Wild...

...I will say though that Koivu, PMB, Burns, etc. are as good as untouchable considering the fact that the Wild are committed to building with youth, meaning it would have to be a highly unlikely prospect for prospect deal.

Old
10-28-2005, 07:06 AM
gars59

untouchable:
Koivu
Kovalev
Higgins
Perezhogin
Markov
Komisarek
Begin (not a star , but he is aso important for our team)
Theodore

Important but tradeable :
Ribeiro
Ryder
Bulis
Bonk
Dandenault
Bouillon
Rivet
Zednik
Plekanec

Trade Bait :