HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Luoma making a strong case

Closed Thread

Old
09-22-2003, 08:23 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Luoma making a strong case

I just got back a bit from the Oilers game against the 'nucks and I was VERY impressed with Luoma. He was the Oilers best Dman on the ice. Bergeron had some blond moments defensively - but did make stuff happen offensively. In the limited PP time the Luoma got he impressed me. He was shooting the puck more (THANK GOD SOMEBODY SHOOTING FINALLY) and was making good passes. Defensively he was great. He made ZERO mistakes, and made a few nice hits. all around he was the Oilers best Dman on the night. IMO Luoma should get a job - he REALLY impressed me this year.

Old
09-22-2003, 08:29 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I just got back a bit from the Oilers game against the 'nucks and I was VERY impressed with Luoma. He was the Oilers best Dman on the ice. Bergeron had some blond moments defensively - but did make stuff happen offensively. In the limited PP time the Luoma got he impressed me. He was shooting the puck more (THANK GOD SOMEBODY SHOOTING FINALLY) and was making good passes. Defensively he was great. He made ZERO mistakes, and made a few nice hits. all around he was the Oilers best Dman on the night. IMO Luoma should get a job - he REALLY impressed me this year.

Were you at the same Oil vs. Canucks game that I was? Luoma wasn't good at all, and Bergeron had no lapses, not to mention leading the PP and rushing the puck very well. Luoma is better than Ferguson, but not MAB.

Old
09-22-2003, 08:41 PM
speeds

luoma had a rough game with the puck, Bergeron was better tonight, but he was by no means flawless.

Bergeron probably had the worst giveaway of the game when he threw it up the middle on one play, I think in the 2nd.

Old
09-22-2003, 08:45 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Luoma is brutal!! i dont know how u say he was the best dman on the ice...he was simply brutal, didnt know what he was doing

Old
09-22-2003, 08:48 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Worst giveaway of the game must be a pretty subjective term, as there were no brutal giveaways in that game.

Old
09-22-2003, 09:18 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
I have to agree with those who say Luoma struggled at times tonight. He had good moments but was not as sharp tonight as he was last week in CGY. I spoke with him after the game and even he agreed that tonight wasn't a great game for him.

Bergeron was quite good, named 2nd star, but did give up one bad pass up the middle in his own end like Speeds said. Bergy's best game so far though I thought. Really likes to jump into the play and is a TERRIFIC passer. Set guys up with nice feeds all night.

I have comments from both in the next piece (hopefully you can read tomorrow).

Old
09-22-2003, 09:24 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
I have to agree with those who say Luoma struggled at times tonight. He had good moments but was not as sharp tonight as he was last week in CGY. I spoke with him after the game and even he agreed that tonight wasn't a great game for him.

Bergeron was quite good, named 2nd star, but did give up one bad pass up the middle in his own end like Speeds said. Bergy's best game so far though I thought. Really likes to jump into the play and is a TERRIFIC passer. Set guys up with nice feeds all night.

I have comments from both in the next piece (hopefully you can read tomorrow).
Shouldn't the fact that there has to be nit-picking about ONE pass say something? Not a slight to you Guy, just saying I think people are really looking for a reason not to like Bergeron for some reason, when it's very clear that he's a flat-out good hockey player.

Old
09-22-2003, 09:53 PM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Shouldn't the fact that there has to be nit-picking about ONE pass say something? Not a slight to you Guy, just saying I think people are really looking for a reason not to like Bergeron for some reason, when it's very clear that he's a flat-out good hockey player.
C'mon, LMHF, one bad pass a game up the middle will lead to a ton of goals over an 82 game season. This has been a common mistake for Bergeron in the past, so we will obviously watch it closely. When a pass up the center of the ice is picked off, it usually creates a scoring chance.

Bergeron has a lot of skill, but still is very mistake-prone and we don't have the horses to make up those extra goals that he might give up if he keeps making these types of mistakes.

Old
09-23-2003, 01:48 AM
Yosemite Sam

vCash: 1050
Quote:
I'm with you. There'll be a few growing pains, but I think Bergeron is a keeper.

Old
09-23-2003, 05:47 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

The reason I said Luoma was better because physicaly he got involved. He didn't have any bad give aways all game, and on the PP time that he got he seemed to shoot the puck (which the OIlers need!!). Bergeron was uninvolved physicaly, and defensively- he was good for him (but his good isn't that good). Credit to Bergeron, he looked real good on the powerplay. He'd rush to the net with AND without the puck, which gets the PKers moving and running around and when that happens goals are scored. I guess I must have sounded a little anti-Bergeron in my first post, but I REALLY like him - I hope he makes the team, I just thought that Luoma was better in the corners, showed more toughness, was better defensively.

Old
09-23-2003, 05:52 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
C'mon, LMHF, one bad pass a game up the middle will lead to a ton of goals over an 82 game season. This has been a common mistake for Bergeron in the past, so we will obviously watch it closely. When a pass up the center of the ice is picked off, it usually creates a scoring chance.

Bergeron has a lot of skill, but still is very mistake-prone and we don't have the horses to make up those extra goals that he might give up if he keeps making these types of mistakes.
Good thing the Oilers weren't facing Modano :p

Old
09-23-2003, 11:03 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

If one mistake a game from a couple defenceman is always gonna result in goals, either trade your goalie or get the guy a new d-partner. Nobody plays flawless games, yet, I wonder why Eric Brewer or Jason Smith don't get criticized when they make those bad passes. Maybe because they're labeled as "defensive defencemen" and alot of people are shocked for some reason to see that play. But with "offensive" types, they just look at it and say "I told you so". Really don't like that.....anyway, Bergeron's in my opening day lineup, he's worth the risk.

Old
09-23-2003, 11:36 AM
barto

Quote:
If one mistake a game from a couple defenceman is always gonna result in goals, either trade your goalie or get the guy a new d-partner. Nobody plays flawless games, yet, I wonder why Eric Brewer or Jason Smith don't get criticized when they make those bad passes. Maybe because they're labeled as "defensive defencemen" and alot of people are shocked for some reason to see that play. But with "offensive" types, they just look at it and say "I told you so". Really don't like that.....anyway, Bergeron's in my opening day lineup, he's worth the risk.
But when Brewer or Smith make bad passes, it's another argument for someone who DOESN'T!

also, those two are guaranteed spots in the lineup, whereas MAB and Luoma are battling for the last d-man spot, so mistakes are magnified (as are good plays).

You're right - nobody plays a flawless game, but these guys are under a microscope because they're trying for a spot on the team.

Plays like MAB's bad pass don't always result in goals, but they can kill momentum and get the team scrambling in their own zone for a good chunk of time instead of spending it in the other team's zone. And we all know the Oilers should be spending time trying to bang out goals rather than keep them out whenever possible.

I'll always be a fan of Bergeron's just for how he handled himself at the end of last year, but I'm open to Luoma taking that last spot if he's the better option.

Bart

Old
09-23-2003, 01:47 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

I think either way, our defense is a lot better then it is getting credit for. I mean both Luoma and Bergeron will be good. I think alot depends upon how the rest of the team plays on who will get the spot. If the Oilers Powerplay is sucking during the season, expect Bergeron to get a chance, if the powerplay is working good then expect Luoma to play.

Old
09-23-2003, 02:06 PM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
something that should be mentioned is that luoma is playing his first games on north american ice, against north american players. I wouldnt doubt that he is still trying to get the hang of it. He will only improve time goes on.

Old
09-23-2003, 02:15 PM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
I think either way, our defense is a lot better then it is getting credit for. I mean both Luoma and Bergeron will be good. I think alot depends upon how the rest of the team plays on who will get the spot. If the Oilers Powerplay is sucking during the season, expect Bergeron to get a chance, if the powerplay is working good then expect Luoma to play.
Assuming the defense is Brewer, Seminov, Smith, Staios, Cross, Bergeron and Luoma I'm guessing that Ferguson is on the outside (elsewhere?) looking in.

Old
09-23-2003, 03:41 PM
hockeyaddict101

So did Luoma

Quote:
He had one shift where he gave the puck away three times. IMO Bergeron was more solid in last nights game then Luoma and because Bergeron skates better and is better offensively and that is what the Oilers are looking for the edge is going to go to Bergeron.

Old
09-23-2003, 03:53 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar
Assuming the defense is Brewer, Seminov, Smith, Staios, Cross, Bergeron and Luoma I'm guessing that Ferguson is on the outside (elsewhere?) looking in.
From your lips (fingers) to MacT's ears.

Welcome

Old
09-23-2003, 04:21 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Ya, i think Ferguson is on the out side looking in. He could easily be traded with Comrie I think..... I mean he would be a perfect guy for a team like Atlanta or the Wild or who ever.....

Old
09-23-2003, 08:01 PM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
I wouldnt doubt that he is still trying to get the hang of it. He will only improve time goes on.
Exactly. Just like Jiri Dopita! *snicker*

Old
09-23-2003, 08:26 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilswell
Thanks a heap. I was trying to forget that cursed name, now the memories are flooding back.

I can't hear you, LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA...and so on, and so forth.

Dopita and York was supposed to be our 2nd line.

Old
09-23-2003, 08:28 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilswell
He's only 27. He also has a reputation as a hard worker, having started in second division, moved up to the FEL, and now come over here. Dopita had a reputation as being lazy and not terribly dedicated, team-wise. Heck, Luoma has learned at least passable English, which Dopita never bothered with, and he's willing to go to the minors and improve. Dopita sulked like a two year old when he was taken off the second line. For what it's worth, I think Luoma is already playing better than Dopita ever did for the Oil anyway.

Old
09-23-2003, 08:32 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
He's only 27. He also has a reputation as a hard worker, having started in second division, moved up to the FEL, and now come over here. Dopita had a reputation as being lazy and not terribly dedicated, team-wise. Heck, Luoma has learned at least passable English, which Dopita never bothered with, and he's willing to go to the minors and improve. Dopita sulked like a two year old when he was taken off the second line. For what it's worth, I think Luoma is already playing better than Dopita ever did for the Oil anyway.
I think you're a little hard on Jiri. The poor fella had a bum knee. And He didn't sulke! His agent (Svboda right?) was *****ing to the press that he wasn't getting enough ice time, but Jiri was working hard and doing all he could to get better and make the team better. Jiri was a good guy who just plain and simple isn't made for the fast pace of the North American game.

Old
09-23-2003, 08:40 PM
Allan

Quote:
I think you're a little hard on Jiri. The poor fella had a bum knee. And He didn't sulke! His agent (Svboda right?) was *****ing to the press that he wasn't getting enough ice time, but Jiri was working hard and doing all he could to get better and make the team better. Jiri was a good guy who just plain and simple isn't made for the fast pace of the North American game.
Yeah, maybe I was a little too hard on him. He never did seem to try to change his game at all, and that is most of what I meant by lazy. I'm sure he worked hard on the ice, but he seemed unwilling, or maybe unable, to adapt his style. He made a great fourth line centre when he played there, but faded the longer he was there. I don't think Svoboda would have been publicly saying Dopita wasn't happy with his role if in fact he was satisfied.

Old
09-23-2003, 08:50 PM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
He's only 27...etc..
Yeah, my comment was mostly a playful snipe pointing out that while Luoma may indeed adapt well to the NA game, there's no guarantees. I guess more people have succeeded in forgetting Dopita than I thought. Lucky beggars!

I suppose the bright spot is that his main detraction appears to be his speed. But if he can play on the big ice in Europe, maybe the NA game will actually like him better?

Closed Thread