HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Al Strachan fired by CBC

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2005, 10:39 AM
chiavsfan

vCash: 500
Don't worry, they will probably just try to take Eklund from his new Sportsnet job

Old
10-19-2005, 11:18 AM
supreme_reverend

Thank god they got rid of that moron I was so sick of hearing his voice and retarted opinions. And who was he to pick on Brian Burke one of the smartest guys in hockey and actually just really smart in general and could put Al in his place.

Old
10-19-2005, 11:28 AM
swiftwin
#lalala

Whats Healey's problem with Checkmanek anyways?

Old
10-19-2005, 12:08 PM
mr gib

great - more smile and wave

Old
10-19-2005, 12:50 PM
ScottyBowman

Strachan was something hockey needed which was entertainment. People in here hate him but he actually stirred the pot and brought life to the segment. Watching the hot stove right now is pathetic. JD always has to mention "I was driving to the arena and Wayne called me on my cell phone and told me..." The other guys look like robots. Bring back AL. Hockey needs AL. They don't need boring Canadian farm boys who throw cliche's left and right about hard nosed hockey.

Old
10-19-2005, 12:55 PM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBowman
Strachan was something hockey needed which was entertainment. People in here hate him but he actually stirred the pot and brought life to the segment. Watching the hot stove right now is pathetic. JD always has to mention "I was driving to the arena and Wayne called me on my cell phone and told me..." The other guys look like robots. Bring back AL. Hockey needs AL. They don't need boring Canadian farm boys who throw cliche's left and right about hard nosed hockey.

Posts like this keep you in my favorite 5 posters.

Bring Back Al!

Old
10-19-2005, 12:59 PM
chuckie

I agree, I didn't always agree with Al and he could really annoy or irritate me but he kept the segment interesting.....another dumb move by cbc...

Old
10-19-2005, 01:16 PM
Chootoi

strachan was on Off The Record yesterday if anyone noticed. it was hilarious because they were talking about the visor issue and stuff and strachan was arguing that they should get rid of helmets all together. everyone was just looking at him like "you're an idiot".

Old
10-19-2005, 01:20 PM
pens66

SWEET!! I was getting tired of the little midget Strachan. Good Riddance!

Old
10-19-2005, 01:29 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's not on it.

For some reason when I see Strachan on tv I always picture him having a big red nose and floppy shoes and a daisy in his lapel that squirts water.

As much as he was useless and annoying and looked like a hobo, he did change things up a little. I don't miss him or care that he's gone, but having him on the show wasn't so bad. Clowns are funny.

Old
10-19-2005, 01:38 PM
ACC1224

Quote:
I agree...Al made things interesting.

Old
10-19-2005, 01:43 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224
I agree...Al made things interesting.
Perhaps. But the problem I had with him was there was no good faith in what he said, it was just a mantra against management. Now I dont know if irt was a schtick & hor honestly held, but after all, he is a reporter & supposed to be somewhat objective (which he most certainly wasnt, as his hatred for Burke & Bettman was waaay over the top& unprofessional).
So that, & his knowledge of the facts or at least his recitation of them was abysmal & on that basis he should have been canned long ago imo.

Old
10-19-2005, 01:45 PM
HeavyD

I think opinionated people with odd personalitites would be good for the sport yes. So find one CBC, and add him to your group. Someone who will stir the pot. Stratchan on the other hand would make up completely fabricated stories from his fake 'sources' and implement them into BS arguments. It was pretty disgusting actually.

Old
10-19-2005, 01:46 PM
chris_dub
Avoid Catalina...

Send a message via MSN to chris_dub
Hopefully Bob Cole & Harry Neale are soon to follow.

Old
10-19-2005, 01:49 PM
Master Lok

Quote:

I guess you also like Roseanne Barr as a "pot-stirrer" and something that hockey "needs". They both have the same amount of hockey knowledge.

Old
10-19-2005, 01:51 PM
dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD
I think opinionated people with odd personalitites would be good for the sport yes. So find one CBC, and add him to your group. Someone who will stir the pot. Stratchan on the other hand would make up completely fabricated stories from his fake 'sources' and implement them into BS arguments. It was pretty disgusting actually.
garrioch garrioch garrioch!!

Old
10-19-2005, 02:04 PM
Verbal Kint*

Thank goodness.

Getting LeBrun for the Hotstove was one of the smartest moves CBC has pulled for HNIC in years. The man is great on camera, knows hockey better than pretty much everyone in the business and will hopefully remain a staple on HNIC for years to come.

Old
10-19-2005, 02:09 PM
PapaBear*

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon
Was it me or did Healy go off on Cechmanek again last night during the Bruins-Habs game? I stepped away from the TV for a bit, but I thought I heard him yapping about Roman again. If they don't fire Healy, maybe they should fire his bootlicking sidekick James Duffie and replace Duffie with someone with a pair of gonads to stand up to Healy and call him on all his BS.

you know who i cant stand even more, is that guy with glasses who does 2 mins in the box with healy. MAN hes the worst!

Old
10-19-2005, 02:17 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

vCash: 50
It's not Duthie's job to corner Healy on his points; he's the host, not the opposition.

Duthie is probably the best thing going for TSN, actually. I remember once when he did a Sportscentre update break during Raw when TSN did WWF. The WWF segment had just included a buff wrestler in a shower with several scantily clad women. When Duthie came on he deadpanned "hmm, just like the TSN dressing room." and then proceeded on with his update. I laughed for five minutes straight...

Anyways, interesting personalities are good, controversial people and viewpoints are good, but Strachan had stopped being a hockey analyst or reporter and had become more or less the National Inquirer of hockey reporters. His rabid and fanatic anti-establishment bias during the lockout couldn't have been missed and its quite possible he was mouthing off about the CBC itself during ITS lockout as well.

Once again, good riddance to bad trash. Almost anyone they get would be better. I think they should keep Duhatchek in there permanently, actually; few western analysts have the respect and prestige he does.

Old
10-19-2005, 02:41 PM
the squared circle

I liked Strachan...like the others mentioned, he added some colour to the broadcast.
If I wanted anyone gone, it would be John "Please only talk to me about the Rangers" Davidson. They should rename the segment "Hotstove and Ranger Discussion". Let's see if JD can go one week without mentioning the Rangers, or as another poster said "Wayne called me on my cell phone..." He has said that many times too!

Old
10-19-2005, 02:42 PM
goalie311

CBC HAS someone to stir the pot: Don Cherry.

Old
10-19-2005, 02:45 PM
blamebettman*

whoah, looks like Gary the gimp has pulled some strings and made Al dissapear. Strachan better not voice his opinion or he may end up like Trotsky or something. Bettman seems to have developed a Stalinist complex.

Old
10-19-2005, 03:48 PM
Spungo*

Nancy Lee is an idiot. Like him or not, Al was the best part of that show. Now we have four monotone androids sitting around all agreeing with eachother every saturday night. With that CP guy, it's juts like watching The Score. Might as well bring on Greg Sansone. Just great. Thanks again, Nancy.

Old
10-19-2005, 03:57 PM
Hab-a-maniac

The thing with Strach is, a lot of writers seem like jerks to many Hfboards people because of what they write/believe. Strach is no different. However, I know some people who've worked with/around him, and he truly is a consensus pompous jerk. Just like he is on the air, really. He is truly one of those arrogant Toronto media guys who thinks he's the cream of the crop.

Old
10-19-2005, 04:12 PM
SwisshockeyAcademy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD
Hit it on the head Heavy D. No need for me to speak about this issue any further.

Closed Thread