HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Al Strachan fired by CBC

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2005, 04:15 PM
SwisshockeyAcademy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spungo
Nancy Lee is an idiot. Like him or not, Al was the best part of that show. Now we have four monotone androids sitting around all agreeing with eachother every saturday night. With that CP guy, it's juts like watching The Score. Might as well bring on Greg Sansone. Just great. Thanks again, Nancy.
Nancy Lee deserves to have her head handed to her for sure, but not for firing this liar. I cannot believe he made it this far. This is not wrestling, reporters should be armed with at least some facts and truths.

Old
10-19-2005, 04:36 PM
Montrealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydorus
So much for free speech.
Yeah, it was a shame when CBC sent the RCMP to arrest him and sentenced him to one of the various Canadian arctic gulags.

Old
10-19-2005, 04:51 PM
Timmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer
Yeah, it was a shame when CBC sent the RCMP to arrest him and sentenced him to one of the various Canadian arctic gulags.

Winnipeg?

Old
10-19-2005, 04:57 PM
Montrealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy
Winnipeg?
I believe we closed the gulags in Winnipeg - they were considered cruel and unusual punishment.

(from a guy who actually enjoyed his month there last year..)

Old
10-19-2005, 04:59 PM
Moon Man*

I didn't give two tugs of a dead dogs **** for Al, but Nancy Lee is quickly becoming known as a Dragon Lady at CBC. Word was that Chris Cuthbert got the axe after rubbing her the wrong way, and Bob's golden pipes aside, Cuthbert was the best play-by-play man they had at HNIC, not to mention terrific during CFL telecasts.

She better reign herself in before she fills the studio with bland B-list talent. Again, as far as Strachan goes, I wont miss him.

Greg Millen must have an awfully tired and sore tongue to be still on the payroll.

Old
10-19-2005, 05:15 PM
Rico__Persson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota
garrioch garrioch garrioch!!

Throw my name down on the petition.

Old
10-19-2005, 05:16 PM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chootoi
strachan was on Off The Record yesterday if anyone noticed. it was hilarious because they were talking about the visor issue and stuff and strachan was arguing that they should get rid of helmets all together. everyone was just looking at him like "you're an idiot".
Coincidently Cherry has the same views on helmets/visors.

Old
10-19-2005, 05:19 PM
Rico__Persson*

Blinky

Three pages deep and no one has talked about Stachan's obsessive blinking?

I tried to listen when Hotstove started, but after seconds I found myself staring into the blink that arrived every 1.27 seconds.

Old
10-19-2005, 06:01 PM
hockeytown9321

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBowman
JD always has to mention "I was driving to the arena and Wayne called me on my cell phone and told me..."
Back when Neil Smith was GM in New York, JD reported his daily conversations with him, with Al always contradicting him, and neither of them were ever right. I miss it.

Old
10-19-2005, 07:11 PM
Strangelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by tray
About bloody time. He has been blowing hot air for too long.
I've heard the NHLPA executive committee called many things..... but "hot air"??

Old
10-19-2005, 07:12 PM
Strangelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaddik
seriously, if you've got four dudes talking about hockey and they end up having personalities resembling that of a stick, then what's the point? al strachan at least made things interesting and garnered attention. i guess he just went a little overboard to the point where he wasn't allowed back.
Yeah, they should fire all those "sticks" and bring in Bozo, Krusty, and Ronald McDonald, right?

Bring on the clowns....

Oh wait they're here.

Old
10-19-2005, 07:41 PM
ScottyBowman

My favorite part was when AL would get into it with Burke. Burke is a big whiny/grumpy bully. Al would go at him and call him out which the other media members wouldn't. See, in basketball they have Screaming A Smith, Charles Barkley, Bill Walton, Kenny Smith etc... They have characters. Hockey has Don Cherry and nobody else. CBC not only should have kept Al but added another controversial figure to the hot stove. Same goes with OLN. Add some people that aren't afraid to call out players and management. People find these type of individuals entertaining. Of course we have a small minority who seem to be the dull types who hate any sort of excitement.

Old
10-19-2005, 07:43 PM
pens66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
Coincidently Cherry has the same views on helmets/visors.
coincidentally, Cherry is an idiot also, not to mention an uneducated high school dropout bum.

Old
10-19-2005, 07:46 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

The only thing controversial about Al Strachan was how he was able to hold any credibility due to his lack of journalistic integrity and fabricated reports with absolutely zero basis. Watching Brian Burke put him in his place was quite a site.

The people defending and supporting Strachan are those bitter souls who sided with the PA and enjoyed Strachan's scathing columns attacking the "New York" lawyer, Gary Bettman.

Old
10-19-2005, 07:50 PM
blamebettman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
The only thing controversial about Al Strachan was how he was able to hold any credibility due to his lack of journalistic integrity and fabricated reports with absolutely zero basis. Watching Brian Burke put him in his place was quite a site.

The people defending and supporting Strachan are those bitter souls who sided with the PA and enjoyed Strachan's scathing columns attacking the "New York" lawyer, Gary Bettman.
Bettman is a menace to hockey and has really destroyed hockey over the past 11-12 years. Of course we're going to enjoy Strachan attacking the little elf, before and after the lockout(s), and we're proud that he was one of the few in the media who had the guts. It cost him his job, Bettman is a vindictive troll what else is new, but I don't think Strachan will be intimidated.

Old
10-19-2005, 08:01 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
I was wondering where he was.Strachan was good on that segment

I agree. I liked Strach on the Hot Stove segment. Yeah, he's an annoying weasel. (my dad went to high school with Strach and punched him out in the hall way)

Who cares? Don Cherry is an obnoxious red neck. I like what he brings to the show. Rumors. Many of them baseless, I'm sure. Controversy. Gossip.

That's what a conversation around a Hot Stove is all about.

I like reading Eric Duhatsek's columns. But on television, he's a little to stiff, polite and reserved.

CBC is making another mistake. It's supposed to be entertainment. Not thoughtful journalism,

Old
10-19-2005, 08:05 PM
David

Strachan gone? YAAAYYY!!!! Oh Happy Day!!!!

Old
10-19-2005, 08:11 PM
SwisshockeyAcademy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanCommunications
I agree. I liked Strach on the Hot Stove segment. Yeah, he's an annoying weasel. (my dad went to high school with Strach and punched him out in the hall way)

Who cares? Don Cherry is an obnoxious red neck. I like what he brings to the show. Rumors. Many of them baseless, I'm sure. Controversy. Gossip.

That's what a conversation around a Hot Stove is all about.

I like reading Eric Duhatsek's columns. But on television, he's a little to stiff, polite and reserved.

CBC is making another mistake. It's supposed to be entertainment. Not thoughtful journalism,
You have your industries mixed up. Wrestling is entertainment. Hockey has real people playing a real game and have families. These families can be put affected by the lies and venom poured out of Strachan's mouth. When Theo had been in rehab and clean for a while Strachan still went on air to claim he was on the bottle. Strachan was nothing but pure grease. There still has to be some journalistic integrity when you are dealing with real people.

Old
10-19-2005, 08:17 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwisshockeyAcademy
You have your industries mixed up. Wrestling is entertainment. Hockey has real people playing a real game and have families. These families can be put affected by the lies and venom poured out of Strachan's mouth. When Theo had been in rehab and clean for a while Strachan still went on air to claim he was on the bottle. Strachan was nothing but pure grease. There still has to be some journalistic integrity when you are dealing with real people.
I don't watch pro-wrestling. Never have.

How's the soapbox?

Old
10-19-2005, 08:20 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Old
10-19-2005, 08:24 PM
THE SOVIET*

Send a message via AIM to THE SOVIET* Send a message via Yahoo to THE SOVIET*
hey sweet, now i can watch the hotstove again!!!!

Old
10-19-2005, 08:50 PM
Zaddik

Send a message via MSN to Zaddik
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke
um...maybe to learn something hockey-related? to actually be informed?
it's comments like these that make me miss strachan even more. getting on everyone's nerves, including yours.

Old
10-19-2005, 08:53 PM
Jordoe28

If it doesn't work out with Pierre LeBrun, they should add Ron Tugnutt in there. He did not too bad on his second night color commentating for Ottawa. Said a lot more than on his debut.

Old
10-19-2005, 09:07 PM
Zaddik

Send a message via MSN to Zaddik
or tony gallagher.

Old
10-19-2005, 11:52 PM
Resolute

Dumping Strachan and his fabrications is a major step forward. While the weasel might have been entertaining, the segment isnt supposed to be based in a fantasy world.

Besides, as long as Ron McLean is there, CBC still has a spokesperson or the union sycophant set.

Closed Thread