HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Edmonton-Pittsburgh Possibility

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2003, 07:30 PM
elphy101

vCash: 500
Edmonton-Pittsburgh Possibility

I know there is no way Pittsburgh trades it's number one but what about something like this.

Pittsburgh has some solid young prospect defensemen in Ryan Whitney and Brooks Orpik. I'm sure Lemieux would love to have a young very talented cheap forward on his lines/team. Comrie would be a perfect fit there.

Maybe some deal could be worked out like this,

To Pittsburgh

Mike Comrie
2nd round pick

To Edmonton

Ryan Whitney or Brooks Orpik (not sure who the better prospect is)
2nd round pick (be like a late first rounder, 31st overall)
Kris Beech would even out the deal although, since he was the prime piece of the Jagr deal, I don't know how much value he has now.

Old
10-08-2003, 07:33 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
How about:
Comrie, Winchester, second
for
Straka, Orpik or Whitney, fourth

What do u guys think of that - I have a feeling they'd listen VERY closely, as this would see them ACTUALLY get some VALUE in return for one of there "vets"

Old
10-08-2003, 07:34 PM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
How about:
Comrie, Winchester, second
for
Straka, Orpik or Whitney, fourth

What do u guys think of that - I have a feeling they'd listen VERY closely, as this would see them ACTUALLY get some VALUE in return for one of there "vets"
Biggest flaw is that Straka makes 5 MIllion per year which won't fly in Edmonton

Old
10-08-2003, 07:34 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

ya since straka is paid more than comrie even wants.....

Old
10-08-2003, 07:35 PM
outKast*

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
I know there is no way Pittsburgh trades it's number one but what about something like this.

Pittsburgh has some solid young prospect defensemen in Ryan Whitney and Brooks Orpik. I'm sure Lemieux would love to have a young very talented cheap forward on his lines/team. Comrie would be a perfect fit there.

To Pittsburgh

Mike Comrie
2nd round pick

To Edmonton

Kris Beech would even out the deal although, since he was the prime piece of the Jagr deal, I don't know how much value he has now.
i know this wont happen but Lowe cleary stated that he wants a great prospect or an equal player. A trade that includes Morozov coming our way would be great.

I say

Comrie, Rita

for

Morozov, swap of 1st rounders (here's hoping we get to draft either Schremph or Ovechkin)

Old
10-08-2003, 07:37 PM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilflip
i know this wont happen but Lowe cleary stated that he wants a great prospect or an equal player. A trade that includes Morozov coming our way would be great.
To be honest I don't think Morozov is that good. Ryan Whitney would interest me alot more. Don't forget he was a top 5 pick a couple of years ago. Big defensemen take longer to mature. Just look at Eric Brewer. I personally don't think the Oilers need more forwards for Comrie. I think they need another stud defensemen if at all possible.

Old
10-08-2003, 07:43 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilflip

I say

Comrie, Rita

for

Morozov, swap of 1st rounders (here's hoping we get to draft either Schremph or Ovechkin)
Pittsburgh could sure use the help there team really sucks how about
Comrie+Rita+Chimera for 1st pick 2004(hoping for Ovechkin)+1st pick 2005(hoping for Crosby)
edit: ya ya I know its unrealistic but so is hoping for Whitney,Orpik, or Fleury

Old
10-08-2003, 07:47 PM
outKast*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
Comrie+Rita+Chimera for 1st pick 2004(hoping for Ovechkin)+1st pick 2005(hoping for Crosby)
edit: ya ya I know its unrealistic but so is hoping for Whitney,Orpik, or Fleury
Ovechkin Crosby Hemsky

as our first line.....

so...can i help take part in planning the parade down Jasper ave? with a first line lke that, and hopefully a great overall team with all our good prospects we're sure to be the next dynasty. It's good to dream though. Pittsburg would never ever do that. haha

Old
10-08-2003, 07:48 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
That would plummet Pittsburgh into mediocrity for the next decade.. the only thing the Penguins have going for them right now is the fact that they're almost guaranteed a top 3 pick in the next couple drafts. I believe they'd be much more open to moving Whitney (I don't think they'd move Orpik) in comparison to losing out on someone like Ovechkin..

Old
10-08-2003, 07:50 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

If they win the next two draft lotteries and land Ovechkin and Crosby, I think they will be five years away from a cup! They already have a really good stockpile of good prospects - you add in to sure-fire superstars like that and LOOK OUT!

Old
Mizral

Quote:

To Pittsburgh

Mike Comrie
2nd round pick

To Edmonton

Depends on whom you talk to, but I personally love Brooks Orpik. He looks like another Robyn Regehr to me. Whitney has had a tough season in the NCAA, and while he may bounce back, he might not, too.

I think the Pens would love to move Kris Beech. He makes nearly a million bucks I think. I don't know if Lowe would have much interest. Beech has shown serious lackings in the offensive skill department. I still think he'll be an NHL player, but the days when Beech was considered a 'future top 6 forward' may be long gone..

However, considering all this, the financial situation in Pittsburgh really doesn't lend itself to picking up Mike Comrie either. They've been trying to move on Martin Straka for over a year now, as their payroll (which now, I believe, hovers around $19 million) is still too high. They recently sold the land they bought near Mellon Arena in which they were going to build a new arena in, as their arena plans have seemingly fallen through. In other words - don't look for the Pens to start picking up salary, period.

Quote:
To be honest I don't think Morozov is that good. Ryan Whitney would interest me alot more. Don't forget he was a top 5 pick a couple of years ago. Big defensemen take longer to mature. Just look at Eric Brewer. I personally don't think the Oilers need more forwards for Comrie. I think they need another stud defensemen if at all possible.

As for this, I totally agree about Morozov. This guy is extremely overrated in my opinion. Not in the skill department, but Morozov is perhaps the most injury-prone player in the league. For Aleksey to play 60 games in a season is the equivilent of the Calgary Flames making the Western Conference Finals. Only happens once every 15 years or so.

And I agree with you on the defenseman thing, too. I think Comrie's offense will be missed, but a true two-way defenseman to compliment Brewer would be really nice. I mentioned Mattieu Dandenault a while ago, and obviously a deal could be expanded, but there's an idea at least. I do think that if you guys did get a forward back, a two-way one would be the way to go. I mentioned Damon Langkow a while ago, though that ship may have sailed when he got his $2.2 million dollar arbitration award.a

Old
Seachd

Quote:
Maybe I'm the only one, but I wouldn't do that. The chance that PIT gets even one, let alone both, of those number one picks is pretty small. And each team they pass in the standings in those years reduces the chance even more, until there's no chance at all. It'd be a nice fantasy, but extremely unrealistic.

Old
10-08-2003, 07:51 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Quote:
Hmmm maybe if we add brewer, salo, and smyth they MIGHT think about it

Old
10-08-2003, 07:53 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
If they win the next two draft lotteries and land Ovechkin and Crosby, I think they will be five years away from a cup! They already have a really good stockpile of good prospects - you add in to sure-fire superstars like that and LOOK OUT!
Be careful! They said the same thing once upon a time about the LA Kings & the NY Isles once upon a time. High draft picks are not always the key to building teams!he

Besides, if the Penguins won the next two draft lotteries, you can rest assured that Ovechkin & Crosby will be suiting up somewhere closer to Portland, Oregon than Pittsburgh, Pennselvania.

Old
10-08-2003, 07:55 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Steve Duschene
Do you really mean Duchesne, Miz? Isn't he retired?

Old
10-08-2003, 07:57 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
Do you really mean Duchesne, Miz? Isn't he retired?
I meant Matthieu Dandenault. Got mixed up

Old
10-08-2003, 07:58 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#2
Hmmm maybe if we add brewer, salo, and smyth they MIGHT think about it
If we added all of them their team would actually be good heaven forbid and it would defeat the entire purpose of the draft picks.

Old
10-08-2003, 08:00 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Okay, I really didn't think you meant Duchesne. Besides, he wouldn't exactly be an Oiler-type player (starting with his age).

Dandenault would be nice, but I wouldn't give up very much for him.

Old
10-08-2003, 08:00 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Dandenault we could have him for a thrid pick I bet and he's not even on the roster currently

Old
10-08-2003, 08:03 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd

Dandenault would be nice, but I wouldn't give up very much for him.
Either would I, but he's the type of player I feel the Oilers need.

Old
10-08-2003, 08:05 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

No, the Oilers need a TWO way top pairing Dman to complete their team.

Closed Thread