HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The West Point Experience

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2005, 11:51 AM
phlacheesesteak

vCash: 500
The West Point Experience

With the Flyers next game on saturday vs Toronto, the team went to West Point to build some team chemistry over their week long break. The web site has some pictures of the events that took place on day 2 of the expedition: http://www.philadelphiaflyers.com/pr...hive/2228.asp# .
There are some perty good pictures, my question is why in the world are Jom Sim and Rob Esche barefoot playing baskettball? It appears to be a leisurely game of H-O-R-S-E with Pete, (at least thats what they tell us) but isn't it kindof dangerous to be running around on a gym floor barefoot? I'd be worried about forsberg's big flatfoot shoe stepping on my bare toe if I were them, or slipping or somthing..but I guess it is good to see people other than PF playing with such "recklass abandon" as they say! but seriously, what do you think of the West Point Experience? good? bad? otherwise?

Old
10-19-2005, 12:18 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfphillystyle
With the Flyers next game on saturday vs Toronto, the team went to West Point to build some team chemistry over their week long break. The web site has some pictures of the events that took place on day 2 of the expedition: http://www.philadelphiaflyers.com/pr...hive/2228.asp# .
There are some perty good pictures, my question is why in the world are Jom Sim and Rob Esche barefoot playing baskettball? It appears to be a leisurely game of H-O-R-S-E with Pete, (at least thats what they tell us) but isn't it kindof dangerous to be running around on a gym floor barefoot? I'd be worried about forsberg's big flatfoot shoe stepping on my bare toe if I were them, or slipping or somthing..but I guess it is good to see people other than PF playing with such "recklass abandon" as they say! but seriously, what do you think of the West Point Experience? good? bad? otherwise?
IMO it is a little ridiculous. Team bonding give me a break! they need team practice. Saturday's game could be ugly, as the leafs are playing well and after a long break, you now teams usually come out flat

Old
10-19-2005, 12:41 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO
IMO it is a little ridiculous. Team bonding give me a break! they need team practice. Saturday's game could be ugly, as the leafs are playing well and after a long break, you now teams usually come out flat
they're practicing up there as well... this is good, we get a chance to regroup and rest any dings suffered through the preseason and first few games on top of that.

Old
10-19-2005, 12:44 PM
VaFlyer

NWO

I have had this exact conversation on another board. I do not understand why people are so against this concept. Teammates must be willing to pay the price for each other. Sami Kapanen did not get back on his feet because he thought it was the best thing for him. He got back to his feet and to the bench for his teammates. No one else. Right now, these guys must be willing to take the extra check, to skate hard for those 50/50 pucks, be willing to block shots with their body, etc.

These guys know the game of hockey. They have been playing since they were young. The skills and timing will come playing with each other. Hitch is allowing these guys to become teammates. That will breed success.

Old
10-19-2005, 01:10 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFlyer
NWO

I have had this exact conversation on another board. I do not understand why people are so against this concept. Teammates must be willing to pay the price for each other. Sami Kapanen did not get back on his feet because he thought it was the best thing for him. He got back to his feet and to the bench for his teammates. No one else. Right now, these guys must be willing to take the extra check, to skate hard for those 50/50 pucks, be willing to block shots with their body, etc.

These guys know the game of hockey. They have been playing since they were young. The skills and timing will come playing with each other. Hitch is allowing these guys to become teammates. That will breed success.
What does going to WP have to do with what your post? I am not a believer in this whole bonding thing. They all want to win I assume doing drills like close your eyes and fall straight back and we will catch you type games don't do it for me. That build trust they say. Don't think they need that to trust each other on the ice.

Old
10-19-2005, 01:28 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO
What does going to WP have to do with what your post? I am not a believer in this whole bonding thing. They all want to win I assume doing drills like close your eyes and fall straight back and we will catch you type games don't do it for me. That build trust they say. Don't think they need that to trust each other on the ice.
i'm sure the "bonding" drills that West Point psychologists are putting them through are a bit more intensive than that...

Old
10-19-2005, 01:50 PM
phlacheesesteak

I wonder what kind of things they are doing where the cameras are restricted. Apparently like Jester said, they are doing some on ice practicing as well which are open to the public. personally i think it is good for the team. A fun experience, while getting to the new guys (which there are aprox. 9 new people on the trip) They went two years ago and I guess Hitch thought it was a hit last time, so if it helps those new guys i'm all for it. But hopfully this trip doesnt distract them of how hard they need to come out and play. But more importantly they need to start playing a solid game the whole way through. 3 periods!!! no more 2 and we got it in the bag style, we've already seen way too many of those.

Old
10-19-2005, 01:54 PM
i am dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO
Did you not see the photos of the team practicing?

Old
10-19-2005, 02:03 PM
Lord ZipLock

The picture of Knuble sleeping and the computer moniter thats says he is in fact still alive. ROTFL!!!!

Old
10-19-2005, 02:22 PM
Dr Love

The picture of Carter and Hatcher is prime for a caption.

Speaking of captions, the Desjardins one is great, as is the computer one.

Old
10-19-2005, 03:22 PM
Brad*

It helps to build team chemistry, which is something that a team with more than half of it's roster composed of new players, needs. Besides, Ken Hitchcock has the Cup ring and he has all of the success; if he says it's good for the team, I'd be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Old
10-19-2005, 03:28 PM
VaFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO
What does going to WP have to do with what your post?
I am not a believer in this whole bonding thing. They all want to win I assume doing drills like close your eyes and fall straight back and we will catch you type games don't do it for me. That build trust they say. Don't think they need that to trust each other on the ice.
I now understand why do don't support the concept. You don't know what it is they are doing. Maybe you have never participated in a team building concept. They do work. I have been there.

Old
10-19-2005, 06:46 PM
jb**

Quote:
I now understand why do don't support the concept. You don't know what it is they are doing. Maybe you have never participated in a team building concept. They do work. I have been there.
Since I don't know what they are doing as you say, please elighten me and maybe some others as to what is going on at WestPoint. Team building is overrated. everyone knows what the job and task at hand is...to win the cup.

Old
10-19-2005, 09:42 PM
donelikedinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO
Since I don't know what they are doing as you say, please elighten me and maybe some others as to what is going on at WestPoint. Team building is overrated. everyone knows what the job and task at hand is...to win the cup.
wow...i guess you've never played team sports much less hockey. or perhaps, you were the guy tossed off the team because he wasn't a team player?

Old
10-19-2005, 10:00 PM
FLYLine24*

Copy Cats! The Rangers did this before the season started.

Old
10-19-2005, 10:18 PM
Brad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
Copy Cats! The Rangers did this before the season started.
Eh, not really. I'm pretty sure the Flyers have gone to West Point every year that Hitchcock has been the coach.

Old
10-19-2005, 10:46 PM
CarlRacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Eh, not really. I'm pretty sure the Flyers have gone to West Point every year that Hitchcock has been the coach.
Yep. Unless I'm mistaken they did it before the 2003-04 season. The year before that they did some team-building retreat thing in Banff.

Old
10-20-2005, 06:26 AM
VaFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO
I have to agree with DONELIKEDINNER, you must not have had to participate on many teams, sports-related or otherwise. When I say you do not know what they are doing, I do not mean the actual activities, I mean what it is they are trying to accomplish. You do not understand how valuable the experience will be to the team. You do not understand how to get 20 guys to play with 1 purpose. You may say that the goal is known - the cup. Don't you think every team is trying to win the cup? So what contributes to a team winning a cup? The best talent? No. The best coach? No. Luck? No.

Who is the better quarterback talent wise, Peyton Manning or Tom Brady? Who has the better recievers? But who has 3 Super Bowls? Teams win, not individuals. Getting the 20 -24 guys to play as one.

Old
10-20-2005, 07:56 AM
jb**

Quote:
I have to agree with DONELIKEDINNER, you must not have had to participate on many teams, sports-related or otherwise. When I say you do not know what they are doing, I do not mean the actual activities, I mean what it is they are trying to accomplish. You do not understand how valuable the experience will be to the team. You do not understand how to get 20 guys to play with 1 purpose. You may say that the goal is known - the cup. Don't you think every team is trying to win the cup? So what contributes to a team winning a cup? The best talent? No. The best coach? No. Luck? No.

Who is the better quarterback talent wise, Peyton Manning or Tom Brady? Who has the better recievers? But who has 3 Super Bowls? Teams win, not individuals. Getting the 20 -24 guys to play as one.
First off I have played sports my whole life and still play, so your a little of base saying I must not have participated on many teams.

What contributes to winning team is alittle of all of the above. Tom Brady is a better QB IMO and sad sack Colts have a terrible coach and d that is why they have never won, not just Manning's fault.

Old
10-20-2005, 09:48 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO
First off I have played sports my whole life and still play, so your a little of base saying I must not have participated on many teams.

What contributes to winning team is alittle of all of the above. Tom Brady is a better QB IMO and sad sack Colts have a terrible coach and d that is why they have never won, not just Manning's fault.
if Tony Dungy is a "terrible" coach, what does that make Mike Martz?

i think this is very important... and until Hitch fails us i'm not going to start questioning his decision making.

Old
10-20-2005, 10:38 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
if Tony Dungy is a "terrible" coach, what does that make Mike Martz?

i think this is very important... and until Hitch fails us i'm not going to start questioning his decision making.
Martz is beyond terrible him and Tice. Actually Martz is probably worse. You don't think Dungy is a terrible coach? I think Hitch is great coach by the way, was not questioning that in any manner.

Old
10-20-2005, 11:10 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad

IIRC, the Flyers went on a mid-season retreat under either Keenan or Holmgren when one of them was the head coach.

Old
10-20-2005, 11:13 AM
MassiveHabs

Send a message via AIM to MassiveHabs
lets stick to hockey, specifically in this forum, west point and the flyers....if u wanna talk about football coaches or teams go to a diff board please.

Old
10-20-2005, 11:48 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveHabs
lets stick to hockey, specifically in this forum, west point and the flyers....if u wanna talk about football coaches or teams go to a diff board please.
lets stick to flyer fans controlling the content of the flyers message board...

Old
10-20-2005, 11:49 AM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveHabs
I think the analogy of teams winning vs. superstars not winning is quite in line with this discussion. As of right now, what is a better example than the Patriots winning 3 of the last 4 Super Bowls? I understand it's a hockey forum, but sometimes it's alright to compare team sports to get a point across.

Closed Thread