HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Team Canada Names EIGHTY-ONE Players to Preliminary List

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2005, 10:53 PM
ACC1224
vs. New Orleans

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bruins19
Nice to see Bergeron on the list. While he won't make it now, he'll have a strong case in 2010. He is quickly becoming a much better player.
I think he makes it, more so than Crosby.

Old
10-20-2005, 12:35 AM
Quiet Robert

Since a lot of people have posted their lineups, I'll be redundant and post mine.

Lemieux-Sakic-Iginla
Nash-Thornton-Bertuzzi
Gagné-Lecavalier-Heatley
Smyth-Richards-St.Louis

Extra: Yzerman (For leadership)

Pronger-Blake
Niedermayer-Redden
Jovanovski-Foote

Extra: Regher

Brodeur
Luongo

Extra: Théodore

The lines I could change around, but in terms of the roster I'd go with those guys. Maybe change Smyth for Karyia, but other than that I'd use those guys.

Old
10-20-2005, 01:28 AM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis
Because I see some rather uninformed choices being made with the 4 Sharks players, here are my thoughts on each of them:

Hannan: Will more than likely make the team. He's the kind of shut-down defenceman that every team needs, and I'm not sure I'd put all my stock into Foote in this case

Marleau: If there's any justice, he will make the team. Big, strong, slick skater. There were a couple of World Championship games where I swear he was the best forward on the ice for Canada. Besides, he's been a force so far this season, and if the new NHL setup can translate over to the olympics, he could dominate.

Stuart: At this point, I don't think the smart money is on Stuart. He's played some downright terrible games so far, and made a few bonehead decisions on the ice. If he wants to make it, he needs to pick it up defensively, and go on a tear (as much as is possible for a defenceman at least)

McLaren: I really like McLaren. He's a great bruising defenceman, and I really think he could push a lot of the other teams around, unfortunately, I do think he'll be a victim of the numbers game.
I'm as big of a Scott Hannan fan as you'll find. Problem is, this team can only take 7 defencemen, not eight, and keep in mind, Hannan was the first injury replacement, so he was ninth on Canada's defenceman charts. There are few shutdown defencemen better. Blake, Pronger, Foote, Niedermayer and Redden are locks for the team. Jovo would have to really screw up not to make it. That leaves one spot left. If Brewer looks anything close to good on a dog St. Louis team, he's likely got the spot. If not, I think it will leave Hannan, Regehr and McCabe battling for that final spot. (Bouwmeester has done nothing to improve his stock sincethe last season).

As for Marleau, again, I think highly of the kid, but he (and Maltby) didn't play a game in the World Cup. Canada's taking 13 forwards (most likely), not 15 (like the World Cup). They also have to find room for Nash, Bertuzzi and (if he takes the spot), Yzerman. That leaves three other forwards who did play in the World Cup who won't make the team. Right now, I have those forwards as Morrow, Doan and Draper, and let's face it, Doan and Draper were terrific in the World Cup.

Hannan has an outside shot at the team. Marleau, like, say, Kariya, Sullivan, Spezza, Crosby and Briere (who has a fantastic international record and is tailor-made for the Olys), would need to be top 10 in scoring when the roster is announced to make the team.

So much talent, so little room.

Old
10-20-2005, 07:12 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd take Kariya over Smyth, Nash or Heatley right now. When he's healthy he's still a top player and right now he's healthy and on the big ice, none of these guys come close to him.

Old
10-20-2005, 08:04 AM
Sens Rule

I Love how deep Canada is. We can choose to pick Jovo, Stuart, or many others on D and will likely leave a ton of excellent forwards off the team. We could honestly win with our 24-46 best players. I hope we do as well as I think we can.

Old
10-20-2005, 10:24 AM
Jordoe28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Puppets
Another good call for goaltenders.

Come to think of it, how Ward, Joseph and Cloutier made the list over Giguere and Roloson is absolutely beyond me.
Giguere, Roloson and Fernandez, might I add. Giguere beats Cloutier, Roloson takes Joseph, and Fernandez could easily handle Ward.

Old
10-20-2005, 12:56 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Lemieux - Sakic - Iginla
Gagne - Thornton - Nash
Richards - LeCavalier - St.Louis
Doan - Lindros - Heatley
(Crosby - Spezza - Smyth)

Niedermayer - Pronger
Redden - McCabe
Blake - Foote
(Hannan -Phaneuf)

Brodeur
Luongo
(Ward)

Old
10-20-2005, 01:11 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

I know everyone loves Marty St. Louis but is he a lock?
Before people freak out. He's one great season, and a couple of pretty good ones.

I for one would be waiting to see how he performs this year. He's off to a pretty poor start, although its very early.
How do Tampa fans feel he's playing? is he getting lots of chances but no luck?

2 assists in 7 games is pretty bad even in the 'old' NHL.

Old
10-20-2005, 01:19 PM
RoyIsALegend*

The only locks, IMO, and by locks I mean there's no way these guys play themselves off the team, are:

Joe Sakic
Mario Lemieux
Jarome Iginla
Chris Pronger
Rob Blake
Scott Niedermayer
Adam Foote
Martin Brodeur

3 forwards, 4 defensemen, and 1 goalie.

Now, of course guys like Joe Thornton, Vincent Lecavalier, Simon Gagne, etc. are practically assured, but these are the players I feel are automatically thrown on the team with no controversy or discussion.

Old
10-20-2005, 01:54 PM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot
I know everyone loves Marty St. Louis but is he a lock?
Before people freak out. He's one great season, and a couple of pretty good ones.

I for one would be waiting to see how he performs this year. He's off to a pretty poor start, although its very early.
How do Tampa fans feel he's playing? is he getting lots of chances but no luck?

2 assists in 7 games is pretty bad even in the 'old' NHL.
I'm not convinced he's a lock, although I think he will be there. The difference between say, St. Louis and other smallish forwards like Kariya, Sullivan and Briere: defensive play. Even if he's not scoring, he contributes with strong defensive play. (Witness a fourth place finish in 2004 Selke voting). He can play on the checking line and be very effective. I still think Yzerman-Smyth-Gagne/Doan is our best bet for the fourth line, but St. Louis would fit in very well.

Old
10-20-2005, 04:48 PM
JessC

Damn, everyone's counting out Paul Kariya...

Old
10-20-2005, 05:53 PM
Oilers1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke

Lemieux - Sakic - Iginla
Gagne - Thornton - Nash
Richards - LeCavalier - St.Louis
Doan - Lindros - Heatley
(Crosby - Spezza - Smyth)

Niedermayer - Pronger
Redden - McCabe
Blake - Foote
(Hannan -Phaneuf)

Brodeur
Luongo
(Ward)

lol, Lindros and McCabe. . .

Old
10-20-2005, 05:59 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
The only locks, IMO, and by locks I mean there's no way these guys play themselves off the team, are:

Joe Sakic
Mario Lemieux
Jarome Iginla
Chris Pronger
Rob Blake
Scott Niedermayer
Adam Foote
Martin Brodeur

3 forwards, 4 defensemen, and 1 goalie.

Now, of course guys like Joe Thornton, Vincent Lecavalier, Simon Gagne, etc. are practically assured, but these are the players I feel are automatically thrown on the team with no controversy or discussion.
I would not take Foote and might leave off Blake too if he doesn't play better later in the season. I don't think either are locks.

Old
10-20-2005, 06:12 PM
wilka91*

You guys forgot that Yzerman is a lock. Gretzky said it before the season.

Closed Thread