HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

GDT: Phoenix @ Vancouver; Thursday October 20th

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2005, 12:58 AM
God Bless Canada

vCash: 500
I'm glad the Canucks are getting their games against Phoenix out of the way early. This is a Phoenix team that could be very dangerous come the second half, with a mobile defence and some talented players. If they fall out of contention, how long will it be before CuJo is dealt?

The more games against teams like LA, Phoenix, Chicago and even Colorado in the first couple months, the better.

Old
10-20-2005, 01:12 AM
Eddie Vedder

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada
If they fall out of contention, how long will it be before CuJo is dealt?
I dont know what your smoking but nobody is picking up cujo for a playoff run at this point in his career, hot streak or not. Hes never proven a thing in the playoffs except that he can lose and hes only making 900k. very affordable for the 'yotes.

Old
10-20-2005, 01:23 AM
Yammer

Very nice job with the links.

I'm going to say the Canucks in a squeaker, 4-3. The Yotes will be concerned about being swept in the season series and are starting to come on, but the Canucks are clicking too, and will be more disciplined and have more powerplay potency than the desert dogs. I think the Canucks will be fired up to put them away early and will build up a considerable first period lead that gets eroded in the third period.

Games within the game: what will you be looking for? For me it will be to see Phoenix without Brett Hull. Will the younger players taking that icetime make their forwards a little faster? Also, to see Nedved with this group. I don't believe he played last time. He's still dangerous and not just to women.

On the Canucks' side I am curious to know who gets the goalie start, how Linden responds to the escalation of Klatt's revelations, and our 5-6 D. Though both are maligned, Baumer seems to be doing his work and McCarthy is coming off a plus 2 game.

Old
10-20-2005, 07:40 AM
dakota

Canucks better be careful this is team is better than it was October 5 (Phoenix) - Calgary lost to Wild, Van lost to Wild, Calgary lost to Phoenix... Van.... to Phoenix... hopefully they can not take them too lightly..4-2 canucks

Old
10-20-2005, 08:15 AM
west in the east

While this phoenix team is better than the openner, so are the nucks by a long shot. They had a tight one against the yotes (score-wise) in the first game, so I think that will help temper any possibility of over-confidence that the canucks may have. If they can get up for the 'hawks game, they should be able to get up for the yotes game. Also, I think if we were to think that the nucks had a good chance of losing to every team Calgary did, they would have a horrible season and be playing like calgary.

I really hope the nucks come out strong in the first, they will need to, not too worried about the rest of the game. Takes them a little time to get going, but theyre too much for the Yotes and take this one 4-2.

Old
10-20-2005, 08:40 AM
steveburfoot

Send a message via Yahoo to steveburfoot
I think the canucks will take this one, normally one of our defencemen decides to let Naslund and/or Bertuzzi skate in untouched at least once.
I am worried that it will be a bit of a blow out too 4 or 5-1 IMO. I am just not sure how much we have in the tank, also Cujo did not practice yesterday, so will his groin really stand up to another game?

Old
10-20-2005, 09:26 AM
BAuldie

Send a message via ICQ to BAuldie Send a message via MSN to BAuldie
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBrew
I dont know what your smoking but nobody is picking up cujo for a playoff run at this point in his career, hot streak or not. Hes never proven a thing in the playoffs except that he can lose and hes only making 900k. very affordable for the 'yotes.
Woah.. have you never watched hockey before? Hmm.. Cujo's run with the Oilers.. go find some games against Dallas in 1997 or Colorado in 1998.. tell me thats not playoff goaltending.. how about his 3 runs to the conference finals with Toronto.. yea ok.. thats not playoff goaltending either is it? Sheesh

Old
10-20-2005, 09:30 AM
XX
... Waiting

The only forwards with average skating on the Coyotes are Mike Johnson and Shane Doan. Everyone else is above average to top skaters in the league like Tanabe, Sanderson and Saprykin. O'Donnell too is slow and not highly mobile but hes been solid in Gauthiers absence.

Should be a fun game, and I hope it gets a little chippy

5-4 Nucks in OT

Old
10-20-2005, 09:31 AM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBrew
Funny, wasn't that CuJo atop the GAA and save percentage columns in the 2004 playoffs? Yeah, it was. It's not his fault Detroit got shut out in the last two games vs. Calgary. Even the biggest CuJo detractors can't deny his play in 2004. He's also single-handedly stolen several series in his career. (1993 vs. Chicago, 1997 vs. Dallas, 1998 vs. Colorado, 1999 vs. Philly). With the exception of 2003 in Detroit, he's never been on a team that had a shot at winning the Cup. (And CuJo was far from the only problem on Detroit that year). At $900,000, he'd make a very inexpensive acquisition for a team needing a goalie later in the year.

Old
10-20-2005, 09:40 AM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada
With the exception of 2003 in Detroit, he's never been on a team that had a shot at winning the Cup. (And CuJo was far from the only problem on Detroit that year).
He wasn't even a problem.

Old
10-20-2005, 10:15 AM
trbr86

Cujo was very good in that Calgary series, despite the running that the Flames gave him.

On the provision that Phoenix misses the playoffs (Sorry Phoenix fans, I don't see you guys making it); If Joseph continues to play this well and keeps healthy throughout the season, I think that he will be trade bait at the deadline for a team that isn't entirely confident with it's goaltending duo going into the playoffs. Not that I'm saying anything...

Old
10-20-2005, 11:57 AM
BAuldie

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX
The only forwards with average skating on the Coyotes are Mike Johnson and Shane Doan. Everyone else is above average to top skaters in the league like Tanabe, Sanderson and Saprykin. O'Donnell too is slow and not highly mobile but hes been solid in Gauthiers absence.

Should be a fun game, and I hope it gets a little chippy

5-4 Nucks in OT
Didn't the last GDT between these two teams involve the exact same discussion about team speed?

Either way it should be a far better game than last time as both teams now have their legs under them.

Old
10-20-2005, 01:02 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
I only have one seat though so you're gonna have to sit on my lap
I'm sitting right next to you silly. Isn't it funny how I know what you look like, yet you don't know what I look like...it'll be fun times.

Time for Bert and Danny to score. The dreaded Bertuzzi machine, and the dreaded Sedin beep beep.

Old
10-20-2005, 01:23 PM
BAuldie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Attack
I'm sitting right next to you silly. Isn't it funny how I know what you look like, yet you don't know what I look like...it'll be fun times.
Sounds like stalker material to me

Old
10-20-2005, 01:24 PM
SedinFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAuldie
Sounds like stalker material to me
Kmad and I go way back, waaaaaaaaaaay back. I've known him for at least 4 years.

Old
10-20-2005, 01:31 PM
DiggerDan

Canucks win 4-3 in OT.

Old
10-20-2005, 01:32 PM
BAuldie

Quote:
Kmad and I go way back, waaaaaaaaaaay back. I've known him for at least 4 years.
I'm sticking with my stalker theory

Old
10-20-2005, 01:37 PM
incawg

This game worries me. With all due respect to Mr. Gretzky and his hounds, this is not a team that the Canucks should have any problem with. But with a major tilt versus the Avs looming large, it seems likely that many will be looking past this game in anticipation of Saturday. Certainly this has been a major criticism of the team in the past - they tend to play very poorly against "inferior" opponents immediately preceding or following a game against an elite team and/or major rival. I look to tonight as a litmus test to see how much the team has really matured. Unfortunately, I'm not overly-optimistic, but hopefully I'll be surprised.

Old
10-20-2005, 01:39 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by incawg
This game worries me. With all due respect to Mr. Gretzky and his hounds, this is not a team that the Canucks should have any problem with. But with a major tilt versus the Avs looming large, it seems likely that many will be looking past this game in anticipation of Saturday. Certainly this has been a major criticism of the team in the past - they tend to play very poorly against "inferior" opponents immediately preceding or following a game against an elite team and/or major rival. I look to tonight as a litmus test to see how much the team has really matured. Unfortunately, I'm not overly-optimistic, but hopefully I'll be surprised.
The only way they will lose is if they don't match the dogs' work ethic. Cujo's a head-case whenever he comes to GM place, he sucks here historically.

Old
10-20-2005, 01:41 PM
incawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi
The only way they will lose is if they don't match the dogs' work ethic.
Which is exactly what I'm worried about. We did it against the Wild following the big win over the Wings, so it wouldn't shock me to see a lackluster effort as a result of looking past this game to Saturday.

Old
10-20-2005, 02:18 PM
Steveorama

As professionals, they should not be looking past this game.
But with 8 of the following 9 games being against divisional opponents (including four versus the Avs), they just might.

Old
10-20-2005, 02:32 PM
parabola
༼ つ ಥ_ಥ ༽つỏ̷͖͈̞̩͎̻̫̫

Quote:
I'm sitting right next to you silly.
I dont see how thats possible

Old
10-20-2005, 02:41 PM
SedinFan*

I don't understand parabola.

However...I hear the horn is incredibly loud this year. Im over-joyed.

Old
10-20-2005, 03:00 PM
Teebs33

I have my tickets, Will be my 2nd regular season game of the year and my 3rd counting preseason.

I think it will be a tough first period and part way through the 2nd the canucks catch fire and win a game that was ultimately a lot less lopsided than the score will indicate.

5-1 canucks

Old
10-20-2005, 03:03 PM
Tb0ne

Send a message via MSN to Tb0ne
I don't do predictions but I'm hoping they'll keep this 60ish minute effort level going, and try either take fewer penalties or run a better PK which has been their weakness so far.

Closed Thread