HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

San Jose Sharks @ Edmonton Oilers --October 9th

Closed Thread

Old
10-10-2003, 06:08 AM
creative giant*

vCash: 500
Has Gretzky's office found a new manager, cause hemsky was on FIRE back there. The passes this guy makes are unreal

Old
10-10-2003, 06:50 AM
Hairball

I have two quick things to mention:
1. We're on pace for a 410 goal season.
2. If they continue like that, there isn't a team in the league that will be able to deal with our 1c line. They were simply dominant.

Old
10-10-2003, 07:44 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
If laraque can improve his consistency, and Torres is good consistency, that line won't be out "fourth" or if you wish "1 a" line. Physicaly there is not equal for them in the league. I'm scared for the western conference if the Oilers can get that kind of performance (even taking away all the goals) from the torque line - as the Oilers will be SO GREAT. I wished Isbister wasn't hurt, because after he got hit from behind, he was up and right after Cheechoo, that little fruit cake turtled, but Izzy didn't drop the gloves because of his jaw - otherwise he would have performed a violent re-arrangment of his face. Izzy had one REAL good chance - he had the puck in the second period on the penaly box side and changed directions nicely (for those of you who were at the camp, it was exactly what Simpson was working with them on) but the puck stuck on him unlukely. Brewer didn't play very good IMO - he left much to be desired. Bergeron was great, Staios was good - Smith was ok, Cross was quiet but solid. Salo made SUCH a great leg save in the third!

Old
10-10-2003, 08:18 AM
goldenchild

I was really impressed by the 2 new guys. That's the first time I have seen Torres play and he thinks the game a lot better than I anticipated, he's not just a crasher but can make the right play when he has the puck, that line was obviously the best one.

MA Bergeron for the one or 2 plays that scare the bejeezus out of you he makes so many good plays that you want him out there more and more. Certainly not afraid to throw his body around and he has some great instincts as far as pinching in, I can't think of the last guy that pinched that much.

Thought Yorkie had a tough start but got better, I'm still not sure why there was a need to give Pisani a 1-way deal, he will be the first forward out of the lineup and I think Stoll could keep him out when given the chance.

Both teams struggled to find their legs after Fuhrsy's ceremony but I thought in the 3rd our speed and forechecking were too much, hopefully a sign of thins to come.

To Grant Fuhr

Old
10-10-2003, 08:24 AM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltown16
I forget who said it now...but the Torres-Horcoff-Laraque line should definatly be called the 'Torque' line.
Or else the

Torque-Off line?

(TORres-laraQUE-horcOFF)

Old
10-10-2003, 08:28 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
Or else the

Torque-Off line?

(TORres-laraQUE-horcOFF)
haha

Old
10-10-2003, 08:32 AM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Or else the

Torque-Off line?

(TORres-laraQUE-horcOFF)
Just wait till someone tells you to "Torque-Off".

on the left - Torres
in the middle - Horcoff
on the right - Laraque

Torque works fine for me.

Old
10-10-2003, 08:41 AM
barto

I was at the game last night, too - just two rows down from the people who got the "Move of the Game" to a luxury box. Damn! Section 205, row 35.

I drove from my place south of WEM to downtown to pick up my buddy around 6:00, plenty of time to get to Skyreach, park, and make our seats by 6:30PM. But then I realized that I had left my frickin' tickets at home!

Back home and then all the way to Skyreach, parked on that big lot on 118 Ave. just west of Skyreach, got into the building, the lights are dark (it's 7:00 or just after), they're showing some of Fuhr's highlights. We made it to our section and watched from the top of the stairs...but after the way I drove, I was amazed to see ANY of the ceremony. What was all that about "Be in your seats by 6:30 PM" business??? Grrrr...

Anyway, have to agree that MAB looked quite good out there - you'd never have known it was his...what, 8th? game in the NHL, or that he had had a relatively poor playoffs for Hamilton last year. He looked very poised & confident out there...unless pinching a lot is what he does when he's feeling nervous...

Loved Torres out there - looks like he was holding back a bit in camp and even pre-season. Lowe must have felt like gloating - he's been talking about how we'll all be surprised at what a good player he is and that he also has some offensive talent, and he really did bury his chance.

Fergie was "OK", but he made a couple bad plays incl. a bad pass across the middle in the Oilers zone that was intercepted and resulted in a chance for the Sharks. You'd figure that he would be paired with MAB to be the defensive conscience guy (think Coffey/Huddy) but he was doing some pinching, too.

Defensive zone coverage was occasionally pretty crazy - looked like a lot of chickens running around with their heads cut off at times - but Salo was FANTASTIC. He made a couple of rebound saves that were awesome, not to mention the breakaway save.

Reasoner was solid, seemed to win most of his faceoffs.

Did anyone else notice some MacT-style blenderizing of lines in the first period?

Also thought the refs needed more pre-season work - made some iffy calls against the Oilers, then missed some equally-or-even-less iffy calls against the Sharks. BUT, the Oilers' speed finally made them call a few, which is great. Really took away any momentum the Sharks might have had or tried to get in the 3rd to take the lead or come back to tie.

Chimera didn't seem to use his speed as much as I was expecting, although he made an *amazing* play to out-wait Nabakov on his goal, and I think had to be hauled down on another play.

First period was REALLY slow, but the third period more than made up for it! Whoo hoo!

My next game will be the Avs on the 18th, but after that, I don't know. Depends on what I get for my birthday on Sunday!

Bart

Old
10-10-2003, 09:43 AM
semenko27

Great game last nite, I thought. And that Fuhr ceremony sure brought back the memories of the good 'ol days He still looks like he could play...

Old
10-10-2003, 10:18 AM
Obsessed

Quote:
I was at the game last night, too - just two rows down from the people who got the "Move of the Game" to a luxury box. Damn! Section 205, row 35.

I drove from my place south of WEM to downtown to pick up my buddy around 6:00, plenty of time to get to Skyreach, park, and make our seats by 6:30PM. But then I realized that I had left my frickin' tickets at home!

Back home and then all the way to Skyreach, parked on that big lot on 118 Ave. just west of Skyreach, got into the building, the lights are dark (it's 7:00 or just after), they're showing some of Fuhr's highlights. We made it to our section and watched from the top of the stairs...but after the way I drove, I was amazed to see ANY of the ceremony. What was all that about "Be in your seats by 6:30 PM" business??? Grrrr...

Anyway, have to agree that MAB looked quite good out there - you'd never have known it was his...what, 8th? game in the NHL, or that he had had a relatively poor playoffs for Hamilton last year. He looked very poised & confident out there...unless pinching a lot is what he does when he's feeling nervous...

Loved Torres out there - looks like he was holding back a bit in camp and even pre-season. Lowe must have felt like gloating - he's been talking about how we'll all be surprised at what a good player he is and that he also has some offensive talent, and he really did bury his chance.

Fergie was "OK", but he made a couple bad plays incl. a bad pass across the middle in the Oilers zone that was intercepted and resulted in a chance for the Sharks. You'd figure that he would be paired with MAB to be the defensive conscience guy (think Coffey/Huddy) but he was doing some pinching, too.

Defensive zone coverage was occasionally pretty crazy - looked like a lot of chickens running around with their heads cut off at times - but Salo was FANTASTIC. He made a couple of rebound saves that were awesome, not to mention the breakaway save.

Reasoner was solid, seemed to win most of his faceoffs.

Did anyone else notice some MacT-style blenderizing of lines in the first period?

Also thought the refs needed more pre-season work - made some iffy calls against the Oilers, then missed some equally-or-even-less iffy calls against the Sharks. BUT, the Oilers' speed finally made them call a few, which is great. Really took away any momentum the Sharks might have had or tried to get in the 3rd to take the lead or come back to tie.

Chimera didn't seem to use his speed as much as I was expecting, although he made an *amazing* play to out-wait Nabakov on his goal, and I think had to be hauled down on another play.

First period was REALLY slow, but the third period more than made up for it! Whoo hoo!

My next game will be the Avs on the 18th, but after that, I don't know. Depends on what I get for my birthday on Sunday!

Bart
Thats kinda funny Bart. The AMJ move of the game was about 10 seats to the left of me and 4 rows down. Thier seats are directly behind the Oiler coaches. I was in Sect.118 Row 9 seat 13

If the 4th line can play with that intensity for 50 or 60 games of the year there are going to be alot of W's in our win column. The simply out muscled, hustled and hungered the Sharks in every way. Spark plug Raffi Torres was a definate boost. Laraque is charged up to be playing with him. Horc is going to have a good year.

I am still trying to soak it all in. The retirement, the game, and the 8 beers.

Old
10-10-2003, 01:04 PM
barto

It was hard not to walk away from Skyreach last night without being on a high, that's for sure.

Vancouver should prove to be a much tougher opponent and a much better test of all the guys, so we'll see if the 4th line can keep up that kind of momentum and chemistry... I'm now trying to contain my excitement a bit, since the Sharks don't look much like the tough team to play against they used to be (so far at least), and it's only one game... BUT, it sure beats the hell out of LOSING that first game!

Bart

Old
10-10-2003, 05:29 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam
The surprise (pleasant) of the night for me was the play of Bergeron. Sure, he got my heart pounding a few times with his balls-out pinches, but if he can consistently get the results he did last night, I'll gladly accept ulcers and heart problems.

Go oil!
Cross pinches quite a bit too and he's surprisingly good at it. I guess it helps when you have a twelve foot wingspan.

Closed Thread