HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

This one point for a loss rule needs to go..

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2005, 09:05 PM
Tucker316*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Tucker316*

Basically, as far as rules that need to go, this tops my list. I have never liked it.

Basically, you can lose every single game this season, as long as it's in ot, and still possibly make the playoffs. It's insane. You dont deserve to be credited at all for a loss.
Not only that but it's frustrating to see your team behind another team in the standings, solely due to the fact they have all those OT points. You dont want ties in the game, how about not basically giving them that extra bonus point then either, hmm? Makes some sense to me.

Who the **** came up with such an asinine idea?

Old
10-19-2005, 09:40 PM
Sens Rule

Okay we should go back to Ties. And the team that wins the shootout gets an extra point for a shootout win.

Old
10-19-2005, 09:41 PM
Claypool*

or just go by winning percentage

Old
10-19-2005, 10:09 PM
MattyP626

I thought with the addition of the shoot-out this rule was redundant and would be removed.

Old
10-19-2005, 10:25 PM
bcrt2000

No, this rule only becomes redundant if they go to 20 playoff teams.

Old
10-19-2005, 10:27 PM
Jordoe28

I often find this rule annoying to. Why should a team record a point for losing.

Maybe, and this is not what I particularly want, but it is a compromise, maybe if a team makes it to the shootout, they could get 1 point, but if they lose in regular OT its just a normal loss, and no points awarded to the losing team. Again, not saying I want this, but it would be better than this automatic point thing, whats the point of the shootout then.

Old
10-19-2005, 10:34 PM
rockon83

the extra point in OT definitely needs to go. and while i despise some games giving out 3 points and others 2, losing in a shootout and going from 2 points to 0, because of one penalty shot is kind of harsh...

Old
10-19-2005, 11:01 PM
Montrealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker316
Basically, you can lose every single game this season, as long as it's in ot, and still possibly make the playoffs. It's insane.
I've heard this argument a lot, but does it hold up mathematically?

I mean, you're giving 164 points to your division and conference opponents to get the 82 you'd get with 82 OT/SO losses... I wonder how weird the rest of the conference would have to look to see a team get into the playoffs giving 2 points for every 1 they gained.

That being said, I have no problem with 0 points for losing in OT or Shootout.

Old
10-19-2005, 11:05 PM
Pens75
Pens Fan Since 1975

The rule is simple...

If you make it to OT you deserve a point.

It may not be fair, you may not like it, but that's how the NHL sees it.

Old
10-19-2005, 11:14 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
The extra point is so that teams try to win in OT instead of trying not to lose. As long as you are guaranteed one point why not push to get the second point.

Old
10-20-2005, 12:04 AM
Resolute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang
The extra point is so that teams try to win in OT instead of trying not to lose. As long as you are guaranteed one point why not push to get the second point.
Because it merely pushes the "trying not to lose" aspect into regulation time. While a higher percentage of overtime games were being decided as a result of the rule, a much higher percentage of games were going into overtime, so that by last season, the percentage of games that ended in a tie was nearly the same as the year before this rule was implemented.

Teams stop pushing in the third period to protect that point. The losers point has had seriously detrimental effect on the game. It needs to go.

Old
10-20-2005, 01:16 AM
edmontonoilers89

I don't mind a team not getting a point for losing in OT as long as there is no shootout. While I'm not against a shootout, and enjoy it quite a bit actually, not getting any points for losing in the SO wouldn't cut it for me. I like the way the points system is now anyways.

What I wouldn't want is something that some fans have been proposing, like 3 points for a win, 2 for an OT win, one for a SO loss, and 0 for a regulation loss. Talk about a head ache. I could barely remember that.

Old
10-20-2005, 01:49 AM
Spungo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordoe28
I often find this rule annoying to. Why should a team record a point for losing.

Maybe, and this is not what I particularly want, but it is a compromise, maybe if a team makes it to the shootout, they could get 1 point, but if they lose in regular OT its just a normal loss, and no points awarded to the losing team. Again, not saying I want this, but it would be better than this automatic point thing, whats the point of the shootout then.
Bob: "How are the leafs doing this year?"

Bill: "I'm not sure, they are 9-0-6-1-14-9-2. I think that's good, but I'm not sure. Oh wait, those are my lottery numbers."

Old
10-20-2005, 01:51 AM
Spungo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman
The rule is simple...

If you make it to OT you deserve a point.

It may not be fair, you may not like it, but that's how the NHL sees it.
What if you make it to the 3rd period and you are up 1 goal. Shouldn't you get a point for that?

Old
10-20-2005, 01:53 AM
mr gib

me too - ya lose ya lose

Old
10-20-2005, 02:03 AM
Phanuthier*

If we're gonna award a point for a draw, why even bother playing? Maybe all teams can just agree "in good sportsmanship" to draw all 82 games in the regular season, then all teams make the playoffs, they "draw" for all and every single team is a Stanley Cup champion!

I've always liked this idea: After regulation, normal 5-on-5 OT. 2 points for a win, 0 points for both a loss and a tie. If you want the points, play for it. Medeocrity is not accepted.

Old
10-20-2005, 02:09 AM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker316
Basically, you can lose every single game this season, as long as it's in ot, and still possibly make the playoffs.
Hmmm, maybe things don't look so bleak for the Pens after all.

Old
10-20-2005, 02:11 AM
BMOK33

I think no points for a loss in the 5 minute OT and 1 for a shootout loss...this may make the 5 minute OT very boring though as teams would sit back on it...the one thing we are no longer seeing is lousy interconference OTs as there is no reason to worry about giving the point away anymore since it will be given away in the shootout anyway

Old
10-20-2005, 02:22 AM
Russian_fanatic

NBA has the best ranking system. The team with the most wins makes the playoffs.

Old
10-20-2005, 07:43 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang
Bravo. Obviously you don't deserve a point for losing but if it pushes teams to score then so be it is the NHL's motto, for better or worse. The majority of the changes in this "new" NHL are ones that don't necessarily fix a broken game but provoke more scoring even though the game has simply evolved into a more defensive one. My two cents.

Old
10-20-2005, 07:57 AM
Sens Rule

I think that there should be no points for an OT loss but 1 point for an OT shootout loss. So if a team wins in the 5 min OT then the winning team gets 2 points and the loser 0 points. But if it ends up in a shootout then the losing team should get 1 point. This makes sense because there is no difference for the losing team whether they lose in OT or a shootout at this point.

I think the Win-Loss stats should read:
Win-Loss-OTtie

This makes an OT loss a loss and you do not get points for losing. Except if there is a shootout. So if you can survive an OT 5 min period you get the 1 point but if not you get nothing. Once you get to the shootout you get 1 point regardless and it is recorded as a tie. This is better than giving the same weight to an OT loss and a shootout loss. at least IMO.

Then you limit the amount of 3 point games.

Old
10-20-2005, 08:02 AM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockon83
the extra point in OT definitely needs to go. and while i despise some games giving out 3 points and others 2, losing in a shootout and going from 2 points to 0, because of one penalty shot is kind of harsh...
Then they need to make overtime 5 on 5 then. Kill the excitment of OT and make it as boring as it was before.

If you go 60 minutes tied...you deserve a point unless OT is just an extension of the game. And when you change the number of skaters on the ice, it's not an extension of the tied game

Old
10-20-2005, 08:40 AM
Jordoe28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spungo
Bob: "How are the leafs doing this year?"

Bill: "I'm not sure, they are 9-0-6-1-14-9-2. I think that's good, but I'm not sure. Oh wait, those are my lottery numbers."
What does that have to do with what I said? THe option I proposed wouldn't add any numbers to a teams stats.

Old
10-20-2005, 08:41 AM
Jordoe28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cup2006sensrule
I think that there should be no points for an OT loss but 1 point for an OT shootout loss. So if a team wins in the 5 min OT then the winning team gets 2 points and the loser 0 points. But if it ends up in a shootout then the losing team should get 1 point. This makes sense because there is no difference for the losing team whether they lose in OT or a shootout at this point.

I think the Win-Loss stats should read:
Win-Loss-OTtie

This makes an OT loss a loss and you do not get points for losing. Except if there is a shootout. So if you can survive an OT 5 min period you get the 1 point but if not you get nothing. Once you get to the shootout you get 1 point regardless and it is recorded as a tie. This is better than giving the same weight to an OT loss and a shootout loss. at least IMO.

Then you limit the amount of 3 point games.
Yeah that's what I said too. You worded it better though

Old
10-20-2005, 11:49 AM
coliseum74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypool
or just go by winning percentage
Actually you can't unless you go back to all games being worth a maximum of two points. As it stands now, with points being awarded for losses, you can only calculate a points%.

Last edited by coliseum74: 10-20-2005 at 11:57 AM.
Closed Thread