HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

This one point for a loss rule needs to go..

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2005, 12:52 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
three-point system is what is needed... it makes too much sense.

- 3 pts for win in regulation
- 2 pts for win in OT/SO
- 1 pt for loss in OT/SO

every night three points are up for grabs... i saw a quote from Bettman saying this was discussed, but they were concerned about season records or something. which is cr@p.

Old
10-20-2005, 01:06 PM
coliseum74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester

- 2 pts for win in OT/SO
- 1 pt for loss in OT/SO

every night three points are up for grabs... i saw a quote from Bettman saying this was discussed, but they were concerned about season records or something. which is cr@p.
Are your serious? They already messed that up when they made a shootout win equal to a regulation / OT win and combined them in the standings.

Old
10-20-2005, 01:10 PM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute
Because it merely pushes the "trying not to lose" aspect into regulation time. While a higher percentage of overtime games were being decided as a result of the rule, a much higher percentage of games were going into overtime, so that by last season, the percentage of games that ended in a tie was nearly the same as the year before this rule was implemented.

Teams stop pushing in the third period to protect that point. The losers point has had seriously detrimental effect on the game. It needs to go.

I think a higher percentage of games are being decided in OT because teams do not want to go to the SO.

Old
10-20-2005, 01:22 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker316
Basically, as far as rules that need to go, this tops my list. I have never liked it.

Basically, you can lose every single game this season, as long as it's in ot, and still possibly make the playoffs. It's insane. You dont deserve to be credited at all for a loss.
Not only that but it's frustrating to see your team behind another team in the standings, solely due to the fact they have all those OT points. You dont want ties in the game, how about not basically giving them that extra bonus point then either, hmm? Makes some sense to me.

Who the **** came up with such an asinine idea?
What you say about getting a point in overtime makes sense, but if you think the team that takes the loss in a shootout shouldn't get anything while the other team gets two, your out of your skull.

Old
10-20-2005, 01:36 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordoe28
I often find this rule annoying to. Why should a team record a point for losing.

Maybe, and this is not what I particularly want, but it is a compromise, maybe if a team makes it to the shootout, they could get 1 point, but if they lose in regular OT its just a normal loss, and no points awarded to the losing team.
But its not a normal loss in OT, its 4 on 4. Playing 60 minutes of normal hockey, then having OT 4 on 4 with the same point result doesnt really make sence.

Old
10-20-2005, 01:42 PM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester

- 2 pts for win in OT/SO
- 1 pt for loss in OT/SO

The competition committee investigated a three-two-one point system. What they determined (using three years worth of data) is that they three-two-one point system would create too much separation between teams too early in the season. In other words, too many teams would be eliminated from playoff contention early in the season. While you may state “big deal” data suggests that teams that have been eliminated from playoff contention experience a decline in attendance – meaning less revenue. Furthermore, the competition committee wanted to foster the feeling that more teams had a chance/were fighting for playoff berths longer. It makes for better hockey.

Old
10-20-2005, 01:49 PM
Rayne*

Everyone is too critical of the OT point system. I like the idea of getting a point automatically if you make it to OT. You're tied with the other team after the regulation 60 minutes, so you get a point, what's the problem with that? Most of my friends are also against the OT point system, but oh well, it's here to stay.

Old
10-20-2005, 01:51 PM
HockeyBurd*

So 1 point for an OT loss isn't fair but 0 points because a team wins a meaningless shootout is fair? It's fair for a team to vastly outplay the other team and have the games fate decided by a silly little side show after the real game is over? What a sad joke. If they get rid of the OT loss point, then they most certainly need to get rid of the shootout. Which they should do in any case.

Old
10-20-2005, 01:51 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCritter
It makes for better hockey.
not if weaker teams take advantage of this by clamping down in order to reach OT and make sure they have a point... or take their chances in a shootout. i understand what you're saying, and what they were saying, but am definitely a proponent of teams that win in regulation getting more of a reward for accomplishing that than teams that need an extra 5 minutes/shootout.

it would absolutely seperate the league greatly... but what it would probably do is make sure that the best teams get the highest seeds possible... rather than have to compete with teams that got equal points from shootouts for seeding.

Old
10-20-2005, 02:04 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Q: Why is 4-on-4 overtime so exciting, up and down, and gets fans out of their seats?

A: Not because it's 4-on-4, but rather because both teams have already secured a point and are going all out for the additional point, knowing full-well they can't get hurt by the rule.

I like it.

Old
10-20-2005, 02:09 PM
Lionel Hutz

I don't think teams should get a point for loosing, and I'm a Pens fan.

Old
10-20-2005, 02:16 PM
Charge_Seven

Eliminate the shootout, and give no points for a tie. Simple as that.

Only thing that matters then is wins.

If you're going to get no points if you tie, or lose, you might as well go all out offensively. That is what the NHL wants.

Old
10-20-2005, 02:18 PM
Hockey_Nut99

vCash:
I hate this 1 point rule as well. Some teams look good by their points, but they actually lost so many games in ot

Closed Thread