HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Minnesota Wild

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2005, 02:29 AM
vitogor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Thing
I don't think they're going to be this good all year, either. I expect them to level off a bit, and i also expect other teams to adapt to this "New NHL" as the season goes on. I think one of the reasons the Wild are doing so well is that Lemaire had them more prepared than most other teams to exploit the new rules. I believe other teams will catch up as the weeks go by.
You are right on. If you go back to 02-03 season (the year of the Wild playoff run), it started with this hardcore, take-no-prisoners crackdown on obstruction. Everybody was saying that the Wild would have a hard time winning a game, let alone put together any kind of a streak, because they are a clutch-and-grab team that would get punished mercilessly. Well, guess who charged out of the gates and led the West after 15 or so games? Yep, the clutch-and-grab Wild. Turned out that they weren't really clutch-and-grab, they were just really fast and good defensively, and their PP was one of the best in the league during that stretch. Once everybody caught up with the new rules (or the refs went back to their pathetic ways, whatever) the Wild went right back to being their ordinary selves again, and barely made the playoffs. But it was that push at the beginning of the season that propelled them, and it was simply because they were better prepared to take advantage of the obstruction crackdown. Back to the future now, 05-06. New rules, new calls, pretty much the same picture: the Wild are supposed to be failing miserably according to the *experts*, but they are not. Top PP and PK in the league (and that's without Gaborik), Chouinard challenging for Art Ross

Call Lemaire what you want, but at least give him credit. The guy is good. He's done a heck of a job with what he had to work with here from day one. The Wild might not be the prettiest team in the league, but they'll destroy you if you expect to get easy points against them. It's time they start getting due respect.

Old
10-20-2005, 04:51 AM
Yus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOK33
If I'm not wrong, it has been the trademark of the Wild to get off to good starts and then fade, I've always said their the bizarro brother of the Flyers who seemingly never ever fly out of the gate to start a season. The Wild and Rangers were my two surprise teams so far on the good end...the Rangers though getting a point took a rather tough defeat tonight in a game where they outplayed the Islanders...we'll see how they respond now, I have a feeling they get zapped at nassau coliseum tomorrow and they move back towards their end of the spectrum....the Wild need a testing defeat in my opinion although they are more talented than NYR overall
That's not really the case. In 02-03 they had an amazing start and rode it all the way into the playoffs. In 03-04 they started out horrible with two big holdouts, never really got any rhythm until they dumped some vets before the trade deadline.

The Wild hardly "barely" made the 02-03 playoffs. There was a 13 point difference between the 8th seeded Oilers (92 pts) and 9th place Blackhawks (79 pts). The Wild had the 6th seed with 95pts.

Old
10-20-2005, 12:43 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypool
He's been pulled a couple times this season already, I was just wondering why he got pulled tonight
Wild game he was pulled because the team in front of him wasn't playing well. Giguere was pulled last night because he suffered a groin injury.

Old
10-20-2005, 01:30 PM
HeavyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie
Canucks 3 - 5 L (one empty netter)

Although I agree the Wild are playing great this year so far, trying to play down that loss by adding the empty netter comment is a bit of a disservice to people who didn't watch the game. That would imply that the game was close. However it was probably the most one sided tilt I have seen all year, id say more so than wednesdays 6-0 win for the wild over nux. Just wanted to point that out. I hope the wild continue their roll though, as im sure the oil and flames will come around eventually, and id like to see all the NW teams get in.

Old
10-20-2005, 02:46 PM
Yus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD
Although I agree the Wild are playing great this year so far, trying to play down that loss by adding the empty netter comment is a bit of a disservice to people who didn't watch the game. That would imply that the game was close. However it was probably the most one sided tilt I have seen all year, id say more so than wednesdays 6-0 win for the wild over nux. Just wanted to point that out. I hope the wild continue their roll though, as im sure the oil and flames will come around eventually, and id like to see all the NW teams get in.
That game WAS close. Closer than it should've been. If just a few things had gone a little differently (like Mitchell actually clearing the puck, or letting Roloson cover the puck, on that first goal; or if Richard Park hadn't suddenly discovered how to actually get shots on-net) the score could've gone the other way. Vancouver should've won that game 9-3 (or maybe 5-0), instead they just barely sqeaked by. After two periods the game was tied and I think the Wild had 3 goals on 9 shots. That's not something to be bragging about.

Old
10-20-2005, 03:34 PM
jiggs 10

It's greta to see the Wild doing this well, but I expect them to end up the season in about 11th or 12th place in the West. In the overall NHL, they are probably in the top 20 of 30 teams, ahead of teams like Phoenix, Columbus, Florida, Anaheim, and a few others. Now that they have Gaborik back, I think the offense will continue to score, but eventually they will start to give up a few more goals. Or will they? Roloson has had the best save-percentage in the NHL the last 2 seasons they played, and Fernandez sure looked pretty good last night, except for a couple of rebounds. We'll see come February how things are going. I certainly hope they stay with it!

Old
10-20-2005, 03:37 PM
jiggs 10

Hey, what's with that red "warnings level: 5" thing? Huh????

Old
10-20-2005, 03:45 PM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggs 10
Hey, what's with that red "warnings level: 5" thing? Huh????
Hahahaha. You better check your inbox, man.

Old
10-20-2005, 04:02 PM
west in the east

Its good to see the wild doing well, the state of hockey deserves it. I can deffinately see them squeezing into the playoffs at number 8, even 7 if teams dont take them seriously. This time is just benefitting them in the end. They will likely cool down and have a good season, but these games will put them over the top come april.

Closed Thread