HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's pretty obvious

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2005, 01:44 AM
Reaper45

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
It's pretty obvious

that we need another defenseman.

Old
10-20-2005, 02:51 AM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
I think Dempsey will come back strong.

Old
10-20-2005, 02:57 AM
Game Misconduct

Quote:
yep

Old
10-20-2005, 02:58 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

I wish we could have traded for Boynton.

Maybe Witt could be had. We need some more toughness.

Old
10-20-2005, 03:07 AM
Game Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh?
I wish we could have traded for Boynton.

Maybe Witt could be had. We need some more toughness.
No -- spend the rest of our cap space on a true #1 D-man like Blake or Lidstrom and we're a real cup contender. Maybe at the deadline?

Awwww, I've had too much to drink.

Old
10-20-2005, 03:36 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Misconduct
No -- spend the rest of our cap space on a true #1 D-man like Blake or Lidstrom and we're a real cup contender. Maybe at the deadline?
A player like Blake or Lidstrom at the trade deadline would cost only $1.4-1.6M against the cap because you're paying him for less than a quarter of the season. By most estimations, the Kings have at least $4M of room under the cap right now. So, I kind of doubt (unless they go out and acquire a Blake or Lidstrom within the next month) that they'll ever get anywhere close to the cap this season. I don't really see cap space as a valid reason to wait until the deadline. With $4M+ of wiggle room, the Kings could fit in Boynton now and Blake at the deadline (gee, wouldn't that be nice, hah)... and even still have room to pick up the Carter/Ronning-type player that they usually get at the deadline.

Last edited by Osprey: 10-20-2005 at 03:43 AM.
Old
10-20-2005, 03:36 AM
multiball

Send a message via AIM to multiball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Misconduct

Awwww, I've had too much to drink.
You must be drinking *lighter fluid*... You just named two of the most overpaid defencemen in the "new NHL". Two guys who have also slowed down considerably in the last couple of years. Blake especially, looks slow and tentative this year. And when was the last time anyone can remember Lidstrom being so out of position and unaware as when he took the hit from Dustin Brown last week???

I'm not gonna get into a back-and-forth over the top defencemen in the league (Chara), but you certainly could pick better D men for your wish list. I think it's much more about having merely an above average defence but having 3 lines deep on O. Niedermeyer certainly hasn't transformed his team into anything resembling a contender.

For me the bigger issue is where can we acquire or shuffle (or call up?) forwards that will compliment Roenick? I'm a huge fan of him as a person and as a hockey player, but he's been a non-factor for 3 or 4 Kings games this year - including tonight. If his name was "Mike Cammalleri" he'd be wearing a suit and tie tomorrow in Dallas. I'm just sayin'!

Old
10-20-2005, 03:54 AM
Osprey

Multiball, the fact that players like that have peaked already is why they could be available at the deadline. You're not going to see teams trading away their studs, especially with the playoff push starting. I hope that Blake stinks it up all season because it'll make him that much more likely to be traded to the Kings at the deadline and that much more likely to sign for cheap once he's a free agent. Any team would be stupid not to want him, even if he has slowed down a tad and doesn't look very good. He's overpaid, yes, but, as I just said, he'd cost the Kings only $1.4M at the trade deadline and he'll have to settle for significantly less on his next contract.

Old
10-20-2005, 08:34 PM
multiball

Send a message via AIM to multiball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
Multiball, the fact that players like that have peaked already is why they could be available at the deadline. You're not going to see teams trading away their studs, especially with the playoff push starting.
Ok, I see that point. I do like Lidstrom quite a bit, but I'm pretty seriously anti the other guy. Anyone who *takes off the Captain's C* because he can't get 9 million dollars, and feuds publicly with a GM who has earned my respect, gets my loud boo when he steps onto the ice vs the Kings - I might even huck my Nachos Camachos at him... Now all that bitter fan stuff aside, I'd LOVE to have a Rob Blake-TYPE defenceman circa 2002 that just doesn't happen to be named "Rob Blake".

It's tough to tell what defencemen out there are changing the complextion of a game because of their skill... Pronger, Boynton, Hatcher, Blake, etc have all looked out of step thus far.

Old
10-20-2005, 09:24 PM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingz4life
I think Dempsey will come back strong.
I sure hope so, but we can't keep him in the pressbox with that contract. Or he finds a way back into the lineup, or he's on the trade block IMO

Old
10-21-2005, 12:11 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
With the way Parros has been playing I think we could see Cowan on the trade block.

Old
10-21-2005, 01:22 AM
no name

I have read that Boynton is likely to be traded. No other team was willing to trade for him without that contract according to the Bruin fans. I assume it is because they didnt want to lose favor with the Bruins, I dont know.

Old
10-21-2005, 01:33 AM
Tadite

Quote:
With the way Parros has been playing I think we could see Cowan on the trade block.

Cowan does his job. Someone has to watch the game and be the scratched player. May as well be him and Kip.

Old
10-21-2005, 09:29 AM
PRMan

We're fifth in GA in the Western Conference.

It's NOT pretty obvious...

Old
10-24-2005, 03:32 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Quote:
Calling me out on starting three "negative" threads after "a loss" --- and this was started on the 20th...

At least mine contained some actual verbage

(though contrary to you, I don't disagree with what you had to say!)

Old
10-24-2005, 04:06 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

We need a PP Quarterback - badly.

Poti may be available after this tirade -

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=140695&hubname=nhl

I'm not a fan of his from a defensive standpoint, but he is actually a very solid PP contributor.

Old
10-24-2005, 04:31 PM
kingbrath

Poti is awful I watched a Rangers game a week ago and he gave away the puck at least 3 times throughout the game. Kings fans would be screaming if we signed Corvo's double.

Old
10-24-2005, 04:36 PM
Brodeur

New Jersey's gonna have to clear some payroll once Elias comes back. Natural candidates include Colin White (1.7 mil, RFA after this year) and Dan McGillis (2.2 mil, signed through 06-07).

White would cost more in terms of assets, but I think he'd be closer to what the Kings would need. Obviously I'd much rather see McGillis traded for numerous reasons.

Closed Thread