HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What's wrong with Atlanta???

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2005, 11:55 PM
Charge_Seven

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan
Garnett = mediocre AHL goalie
Berkhoel = BAD AHL goalie.
Garnett + Berkhoel = Two very bad NHL goalies.
Garnett actually played well against the Leafs. Can't blame him for the losses.

Fire the coach. Trade the bums. There's your answer.

Old
10-21-2005, 12:10 AM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack

one more stinker like that and I'm sure Hartley will be gone

Old
10-21-2005, 12:45 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

I think it's chemistry for one, their defense is still a bit weak (goaltending and defensemen)...But I think once they get a stable goaltender back, they'll rebound but still won't make the playoffs but I don't think bottom of the league...

Old
10-21-2005, 02:05 AM
Brad*

I would have to say Goaltending is the main culprit. You can't run with your AHL backup and expect to be a competitive team. I understand that with the cap, the Thrashers are handcuffed in regards to bringing in help, so they'll have to just tough it out. Even though they've lost ground early on, I wouldn't completely write them off. Once Lehtonen comes back, they should be able to right ship.

Old
10-21-2005, 04:04 AM
5minsforfighting

Better to lose games in October, than in March.

Old
10-21-2005, 04:12 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

When your top defenseman is Jaroslav Modry, you know you have defense issues that need to be addressed.

Old
10-21-2005, 05:18 AM
Timmy1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan
Garnett = mediocre AHL goalie
Berkhoel = BAD AHL goalie.
Garnett + Berkhoel = Two very bad NHL goalies.
Actually Berkhoel played pretty well considering the circumstances. He made some good saves on a 5-3 and kept the score from being 10-0.

But getting back to the title of the thread, there are so many problems in Atlanta right now it's hard to now where to start fixing them all. Getting rid of their two-bit goons, like someone else said, would be a start. You need players on the ice not suspended and in the pressbox. With any luck Bob Hartley will be there too for a couple of games.

Old
10-21-2005, 05:21 AM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacB
How do you blame goaltending for scoring 2 goals in 5 games?
I dont know but boat loads of people still do that with the Flyers/Sens series and Cechmanek.

Last edited by Steve L*: 10-21-2005 at 10:43 AM.
Old
10-21-2005, 07:45 AM
Magnus Fulgur

You can't score when you D can't get out of its own way, can't skate with the puck, and can't clear the zone. Hossa and Kovalchuk have to go behind their own net and skate all the way up the ice with the puck; and this is after they've been running around ragged for a minute trying to help out the likes of deVries, Exelby, Sutton, and MODRY who are AHLers at this point. All four of those guys are in the top 20 in NHL defense PIMs which should speak volumes of how they have to hook n' hold because they can't skate.

I love Hossa, but deVries is so bad this year that I can declare Ottawa the winner of the Heatley trade without reservations.

Old
10-21-2005, 07:56 AM
wilka91*

there are 7-6 and 8-7 games in this league. so goaltending can't explain why Atlanta isn't scoring at all.

Old
10-21-2005, 08:27 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

No transition game, and the only thing Hartley has been able to get his players to buy into is the notion that you send a message when the other side runs up the score.

Old
10-21-2005, 08:35 AM
Alfie#11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
I dont know but boat loats of people still do that with the Flyers/Sens series and Cechmanek.
Ditto with Lalime in the Sens/Leafs series.

It's easier to blame one guy.

Old
10-21-2005, 08:36 AM
PapaBear*

Bob Hartley - dirty coach?

I say so, with his recent antics...Im starting to lose respect for this guy. And I loved him when he was in Denver. But he has always been known (even in Denver with Sakic, forsberg, Foote, etc), to be a dirty coach. When he doesnt have his way on the scoresheet, he will intentionally put out his rockem sockem guys to create some ****.

Last edited by Ronnie Bass: 10-21-2005 at 08:45 AM.
Old
10-21-2005, 08:49 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead
Better to lose games in October, than in March.
They're all worth two points.

Old
10-21-2005, 08:55 AM
SChan*

Hartley is an extremley overrated coach. The Avs had one of the best teams ever on paper for many many years and Hartley should have won more than one cup in his run. I never liked him.

Old
10-21-2005, 08:58 AM
Charge_Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
They're all worth two points.
Some are worth 3.

Old
10-21-2005, 09:00 AM
PapaBear*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SectionX
Hartley is an extremley overrated coach. The Avs had one of the best teams ever on paper for many many years and Hartley should have won more than one cup in his run. I never liked him.

Hartley is a very good coach, especially in bringing young kids up. He has helped a lot in bringing up Duke and Tang.

Old
10-21-2005, 09:36 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum
I love Hossa, but deVries is so bad this year that I can declare Ottawa the winner of the Heatley trade without reservations.

I have no idea what games you are watching, but de Vries is not part of the problem.

Old
10-21-2005, 10:11 AM
DMVille

Word is Steve Shields may be coming up to play next week after a game or two w the Chicago Wolves. And Lehtonen re-aggravated the groinal area.

I haven't seen an ATL game, but when you have NO goaltending, your Dmen have to be even more defensive minded and can provide very little offensive support and production. So bad goaltending can definitley translate to lower scoring.

Old
10-21-2005, 10:14 AM
Snap Wilson

As an Atlanta transplantee, I'll just say it's hard to maintain an interest in this team. Two goals scored, TWENTY goals allowed over the last three games. They're the worst team in the league right now, hands down. The distasteful Boulton stuff aside, they're just playing some flat, uninspired hockey at the moment. There's considerable talent on this team, but if anything, that makes the current level of play a little harder to tolerate. If I hadn't already bought tickets to tomorrow's Devils game, I'd find it hard to spend money to watch this team. In that respect, the low attendance figures are understandable.

Old
10-21-2005, 11:30 AM
Magnus Fulgur

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn

I have no idea what games you are watching, but de Vries is not part of the problem.

deVries is the #2 penalized defenseman in the league because he can't skate and is always out of position. He was a clutch and grab defenseman, and now he's redundant, useless. We he's on the ice, the puck stays in our zone, and Hossa, Petro, or some other quicker forward has to go behind the net to clean up the mess.

Old
10-21-2005, 12:15 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack

The goalie play a VERY decent game against Montreal last week also, so make that 2 games where the goalie cannot be blame for the lost.

The defense is horrid right now and the offense is doing so much individual plays it's not even funny. They have top offensive talent yet, they were flat out unimpressive last week against Mtl offensively and i'm sure it's the same for the last few games.

They should find a way to make it all together soon but right now, playing their 4th goalie is only a small part of their problem, a really SMALL part.
__________________________________________________ ___

I'd say a big problem that will need to be adress is the lack of truely good "offensive" defensemen. They got a very sweet attack but the counter-attacks of Atlanta are SLOW to start and the other team adjust easily to their speed. The first pass of the defender became a lot more important in the new nhl so use as an advantage the speed of the forwards. Yet, Atlanta should use this advantage but cant because the first pass is... simply not there.

Old
10-21-2005, 01:10 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Atlanta still lacks any kind of system. This isn't shinny, the most talented individuals aren't going to win if they don't work together as a unit, both offensively and defensively, and Atlanta never has on both ends. It's not a talent issue, it's not a goalie issue, they have to learn to work together as a team to win and they aren't.

Old
10-21-2005, 01:12 PM
AGraveOne

Send a message via Yahoo to AGraveOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
Atlanta still lacks any kind of system. This isn't shinny, the most talented individuals aren't going to win if they don't work together as a unit, both offensively and defensively, and Atlanta never has on both ends. It's not a talent issue, it's not a goalie issue, they have to learn to work together as a team to win and they aren't.
Offense often starts out of your end...i'd question the defense. We know the offensive talent is near tops in the league. Also, chemistry. Kovalchuk coming back after the offense was clicking decently might have screwed things up.

Old
10-21-2005, 01:21 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum
deVries is the #2 penalized defenseman in the league because he can't skate and is always out of position. He was a clutch and grab defenseman, and now he's redundant, useless. We he's on the ice, the puck stays in our zone, and Hossa, Petro, or some other quicker forward has to go behind the net to clean up the mess.
You couldn't be further from the truth in regards to his skating.

Greg de Vries is a very fluid skater and has above average speed for defensemen in the NHL.

This is not one of his weaknesses. His positioning, as you alluded to, is indeed his biggest down-fall, but skating and speed have NEVER been a problem for de Vries.

Closed Thread