HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Strachan an Idiot Again

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2005, 11:05 PM
coppernblue

vCash: 500
Strachan an Idiot Again

Did anyone see this moron on the score and make an *** of himself again? They were talking about who should be the future of USA goaltending and the *** clown said david lenevue. Its one thing to say a goalie who's nation is kind of unknown but to say a guy who played for team canada on the world jr team a couple years ago. No wonder he got fired by CBC.

Old
10-20-2005, 11:49 PM
Zetterberg4Captain*

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppernblue
Did anyone see this moron on the score and make an *** of himself again? They were talking about who should be the future of USA goaltending and the *** clown said david lenevue. Its one thing to say a goalie who's nation is kind of unknown but to say a guy who played for team canada on the world jr team a couple years ago. No wonder he got fired by CBC.
What do you mean is nation is unknown? He was born in Fernie BC which would make him a CANADIAN.

Old
10-20-2005, 11:52 PM
9DiGiT-CODE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG
What do you mean is nation is unknown? He was born in Fernie BC which would make him a CANADIAN.
Are you Al's son?

Read the guys original post more clearly next time...

Old
10-20-2005, 11:57 PM
Zetterberg4Captain*

Quote:
Its one thing to say a goalie who's nation is kind of unknown
Maybe its you who should read his post next time!

Old
10-20-2005, 11:59 PM
Kaesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG
Maybe its you who should read his post next time!
Maybe you should master the English language.

Old
10-21-2005, 12:03 AM
Zetterberg4Captain*

Nevermind I get it now lol. Oh well english isnt my first language.

Last edited by Zetterberg4Captain*: 10-21-2005 at 12:12 AM.
Old
10-21-2005, 12:04 AM
Zetterberg4Captain*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaesar
Maybe you should master the English language.

Old
10-21-2005, 12:08 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG
I think the original poster was trying to say that his home country is unknown... as in, it's not common knowledge where he was born. Most people know where Canada is

Edit: Nevermind, you already got it... that's what I get for not reading through!

Old
10-21-2005, 12:10 AM
Kaesar

Nope, the original poster was saying that it would have been more acceptable/understandable if Al was being asked to name a goalie in a lesser hockey country. Not only did he get the country of the goalie wrong, but when that goalie comes from Canada, that really makes Strachan look like an idiot.

Old
10-21-2005, 12:13 AM
coppernblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaesar
Nope, the original poster was saying that it would have been more acceptable/understandable if Al was being asked to name a goalie in a lesser hockey country. Not only did he get the country of the goalie wrong, but when that goalie comes from Canada, that really makes him look like an idiot.
exactly sorry for the confusion ill make sure to get my english prof to proof read before i post

Old
10-21-2005, 04:09 AM
Hoss

vCash: 91
Quote:
exactly sorry for the confusion ill make sure to get my english prof to proof read before i post
I think that would be a good idea.

Old
10-21-2005, 06:40 AM
sveiglar

So, what you're saying is Al Strachan is from a country of unknown origin?

That explains a lot about him, actually...

Old
10-21-2005, 09:46 AM
Pepper

Is it necessary to start a new thread everytime Al Strachan says something stupid?? I mean I understand it during the lock-out when we didn't have anything else to talk about but the guy is a class-A moron and if open a thread for every stupid thing he says this site will be looking at much bigger bandwidth costs.

Having said that, that is very very stupid by even Al Strachan's very 'high' standards

Old
10-21-2005, 10:02 AM
Douggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn
I think the original poster was trying to say that his home country is unknown... as in, it's not common knowledge where he was born. Most people know where Canada is

Edit: Nevermind, you already got it... that's what I get for not reading through!
I found that part hard to understand too.

Anyways, yup Strachan is an idiot.

And Dipietro is better than Lenevue anyways.

Old
10-21-2005, 10:43 AM
Resolute

Not to defend Strachan or anything, but if Levenue holds dual citizenship, he is eligible to play for the USA, ala Brett Hull.

Though really, this is Strachan, and it doesnt surprise me that an eastern journalist doesnt realize that there is more Canada west of Thunder Bay.

Old
10-21-2005, 10:50 AM
Kimahri

Send a message via AIM to Kimahri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute
Not to defend Strachan or anything, but if Levenue holds dual citizenship, he is eligible to play for the USA, ala Brett Hull.

Though really, this is Strachan, and it doesnt surprise me that an eastern journalist doesnt realize that there is more Canada west of Thunder Bay.
I was under the impression that once you play for one country internationaly, you are only allowed to play for that country from that point on.

Old
10-21-2005, 11:17 AM
Resolute

In soccer, yes.

The IIHF, evidently, requires only that you hold a passport and have been playing in that country for two consecutive years before you can play internationally for that nation.

http://live82.ihwc.net/english/artic...hwc?artId=2029

The IOC merely needs that an athelete be a "national" (ie: citizen) to be eligible for the Olympics. If they hold dual citizenship, they may play for either nation, and the only restriction after playing for one nation is that he must have stopped playing for the first nation for three years before he can then play for the second.

http://multimedia.olympic.org/pdf/en_report_122.pdf (see rule 42)

Old
10-21-2005, 11:38 AM
Moon Man*

Al Strachan is the future of USA goaltending?

That's the stupidest thing I ever read. The guy must be in his 50's, and I don't think he's American!

Old
10-21-2005, 12:21 PM
Pepper

Under IIHF rules you can't represent another country if you have already played for some other country in IIHF tournament.

Josef Boumedienne tried to play for finnish national team this year but IIHF said no since he has already presented Sweden before (he has dual citizenship).

Old
10-21-2005, 12:36 PM
Resolute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper
Under IIHF rules you can't represent another country if you have already played for some other country in IIHF tournament.

Josef Boumedienne tried to play for finnish national team this year but IIHF said no since he has already presented Sweden before (he has dual citizenship).
Nope, the IIHF changed that rule in 2003. Finally found a link on the IIHF site itself:

http://www.iihf.com//news/iihfpr2603.htm

Quote:
The congress approved a new rule which permits a player to apply to the IIHF to represent another country provided that he is a citizen of that country and that he has participated for at least four consecutive years in the national competitions of his new country during which period he has neither transferred to another country nor played ice hockey within any other country.

In addition, the player must have an International Transfer Card (ITC) permitting his transfer to the new country and that ITC must be approved and dated by the IIHF at least four years before the start of the IIHF competition (world championships or Olympics) in which he wishes to participate.

Such change will be allowed only once in a player's life an is final and irrevocable.
Although, seems that there is a problem with the NHL:

Quote:
It is important to point out that the new rule cannot be taken advantage of by IIHF players who become Canadian or US-citizens and play in the National Hockey League for at least four years.

A transfer of an IIHF player to the NHL is not regulated under the International Transfer Card program. Thus, he is not able to apply to represent Canada or the US under the new "four-year window" rule.
Seems Lenevue might be ineligible to change nationalities, even if he does hold dual citizenship, and Strachan is, indeed, an idiot.

Old
10-21-2005, 12:38 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
In soccer, yes.
Actually, no.

I'm not sure where you get your information from, but in soccer you can play for several different countries throughout your career.

Alfredo di Stefano, an Argentinian legend, has actually represented three separate teams at major international tournaments... Argentina, Spain, and Columbia.

Old
10-21-2005, 12:45 PM
Resolute

I remember the controversy and stories in the Calgary Herald regarding Owen Hargraves and how both Canada and England were trying to get him to play for their nations internationally first. It was made very clear in those articles that when a player plays for one nation in a tournament game, he is tied to that nation.

http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/NewsFromT...ig_Changes.htm

Quote:
The new Article 15 of the Regulations Governing the Application of the FIFA Statutes has been amended to state that that "a player may exercise his right to change Associations only if he has not played at "A" international level for his country and if, at the time of his first full or partial appearance in an international match in an official competition of any other category, he already had such nationalities."
Seems that once an athelete plays in an "A" international event, he is committed.

Old
10-21-2005, 01:13 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
I remember the controversy and stories in the Calgary Herald regarding Owen Hargraves and how both Canada and England were trying to get him to play for their nations internationally first. It was made very clear in those articles that when a player plays for one nation in a tournament game, he is tied to that nation.

http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/NewsFromTheFA/Postings/2004/01/FIFA_InternatElig_Changes.htm

Seems that once an athelete plays in an "A" international event, he is committed.
http://www.hfboards.com/images/smilies/biglaugh.gifWe didnt even need him damn it. Have Hargraves, and we will have some of your hockey players.

Old
10-21-2005, 01:16 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
I don't know the exact rules, I am just stating facts.

di Stefano represented Argentina and Columbia in World Cups, and represented Spain in the Euro Cup.

That's three "A" level tournaments.

Perhaps the rules have changed since Don Alfredo's glory days of the 50s and 60s, but it has not always been this way.

Old
10-21-2005, 03:00 PM
RTWAP*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie Jesus
Al Strachan is the future of USA goaltending?

That's the stupidest thing I ever read. The guy must be in his 50's, and I don't think he's American!
Can we make him one? Please? Some kinda trade for the acid rain or somethin'?

Closed Thread