HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Ottawa @ Tampa Bay - Oct. 21st

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2005, 06:36 AM
Volchenkov

vCash: 500
GDT: Ottawa @ Tampa Bay - Oct. 21st

Finally a game. It seems like we haven't had a game in a really long time.

Does anyone know if Eaves will be in the lineup tonight or if both Fisher & Varada will be back?

Old
10-21-2005, 06:40 AM
nneate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov
Finally a game. It seems like we haven't had a game in a really long time.

Does anyone know if Eaves will be in the lineup tonight or if both Fisher & Varada will be back?
Varada will be back, and Eaves is lining up with Smolinski and Alfredsson. I'm not sure about Fisher, I'm guessing he won't be back tonight.

Old
10-21-2005, 06:45 AM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

Fisher is definitely out for tonight and won't be back until Monday at the earliest.

In the Sun today it says that Varada practiced with Kelly and McGrattan.

So the lines should be:

Heatley-Spezza-Bochenski
Eaves-Smolinski-Alfredsson
Schaefer-Vermette-Neil
Varada-Kelly-McGrattan

Should be a great game tonight! Our lineup sure does look weaker without Fisher and Havlat.

Old
10-21-2005, 08:44 AM
bolt boy

Looking foward to playing your team tonight. Should be fast paced and a possible preview of the conference finals.

Old
10-21-2005, 10:35 AM
fejas

According to the Sun, Fisher has said his shot is still too weak and doesn't want to risk anything more serious. Slower recovery than initially predicted. He may not even dress up for Monday's game at Carolina if it stays like this (and also miss tomorrow's game against Florida if it is indeed played).

That being said, it's good to see Eaves get another chance of improving in a stronger line. He's certainly performed better in his last game than he had in the preseason.

And let's see if Varada can have a good role in the 2nd PP unit, as Neil is having in the 1st.

Old
10-21-2005, 10:51 AM
discostu

Things to watch for:
-Let's see if our second powerplay is any good without Havlat in the line-up
-Eaves get another look, it should be interesting to see what he can do.
-We're playing the defending cup champs. The boys should be pretty psyched for this game. They'll want to see how they measure up against some of their more likely playoff competition.
-Varada's back. He's a guy whose role is in jeopardy. The new rules work against him. The team has gotten tougher with McGrattan in the line-up. He's still valuable as a pest, but, he's getting marginalized. His contract, in the new NHL, means that he has to contribute a bit more. He'll have some additional expectations with Havlat out of the line-up. Let's see what he can do.
-St. Louis has been struggling. I'm curious to see what he does tonight. People are already wondering if the Hart season was a fluke. I don't think it is, and, if he's going to get himself up for a game, the top dog in the East is as good a place as any to send the message to the rest of the league that you're not a one-hit wonder.
-With all the time off, I'm interesting to see how the special teams do. I want to see how well Murray does at preparing this team when he has the opportunity, and special teams is the quickest place a coach can make an impact.

Old
10-21-2005, 10:53 AM
Jorge Garcia

Sens will miss Havlat BADLY tonight against the speedy Bolts. Their defence has had a very tough time containing him. Again, Havlat's transgression saddens me.

Old
10-21-2005, 01:32 PM
Rico__Persson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havlat9
Fisher is definitely out for tonight and won't be back until Monday at the earliest.

In the Sun today it says that Varada practiced with Kelly and McGrattan.

So the lines should be:

Heatley-Spezza-Bochenski
Eaves-Smolinski-Alfredsson
Schaefer-Vermette-Neil
Varada-Kelly-McGrattan

Should be a great game tonight! Our lineup sure does look weaker without Fisher and Havlat.

capologist,

The Fisher injury really bothers me. It has to be frusterating for him, but now its at the point where its frusterating for the fans. Will this ever end? He's is always injured every 20 games or so it seems. I am very frusterated this year because he came into camp in better shape than ever. I figured he could fight off the injury bug this year.

I guess I should lower my standards on him, less room for disapointment.

Old
10-21-2005, 01:46 PM
Cat Called Bobcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico_Persson
I know I have. I scoffed at the quotes and reports from training camp saying how fit and ready to go he was.

Of course, I hoped for the best, but knew it wouldn't last.

My two posts today have both been Fisher 'bashers'. Can't help it, it's frustrating.

Old
10-21-2005, 01:51 PM
Rico__Persson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissmeimasensfan
I know I have. I scoffed at the quotes and reports from training camp saying how fit and ready to go he was.

Of course, I hoped for the best, but knew it wouldn't last.

My two posts today have both been Fisher 'bashers'. Can't help it, it's frustrating.
But the proof was on the front page of the Sun early in camp. Mike was bare chest and chiseled. He looked like Curt Harnett in the Pert Plus comercials back in the early to mid '90's.

Old
10-21-2005, 01:52 PM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

Quote:

Yeah, I love Fisher, but the fact that he is so injury-prone can be frustrating for sure. I think the impact of having Fisher out of the lineup is magnified by the fact that under a cap system, a team's depth is perhaps not as strong as it has been in years past. All we can do is hope he can kick this injury bug, get a new shoulder or two and have a strong finish to the season and, more importantly, a strong playoffs.

Old
10-21-2005, 01:54 PM
discostu

Quote:
capologist,

The Fisher injury really bothers me. It has to be frusterating for him, but now its at the point where its frusterating for the fans. Will this ever end? He's is always injured every 20 games or so it seems. I am very frusterated this year because he came into camp in better shape than ever. I figured he could fight off the injury bug this year.

I'm frustrated as much as anyone with Fisher's injuries, but, the consequence of not showing patience with an injury prone player that plays a pretty physical game, is that players learn that it may be better to not play a physical game condusive to getting injured.

I say, be patient. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out, but, Fish is exactly the type of player we need more of. Teams don't trade players like him. If we lose him, we'll be here in a few months saying we need a player like him on the third line. I rather put my hopes that he turns his injury problems around, than trade him away for next to nothing.

Old
10-21-2005, 02:05 PM
BBB

Quote:
But the proof was on the front page of the Sun early in camp. Mike was bare chest and chiseled. He looked like Curt Harnett in the Pert Plus comercials back in the early to mid '90's.
Why do you remember what Curt Harnett looked like in commericals from the 90's?

Not that there's anything wrong with that....

Old
10-21-2005, 02:10 PM
Cat Called Bobcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu
I'm frustrated as much as anyone with Fisher's injuries, but, the consequence of not showing patience with an injury prone player that plays a pretty physical game, is that players learn that it may be better to not play a physical game condusive to getting injured.

I say, be patient. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out, but, Fish is exactly the type of player we need more of. Teams don't trade players like him. If we lose him, we'll be here in a few months saying we need a player like him on the third line. I rather put my hopes that he turns his injury problems around, than trade him away for next to nothing.
At what point, though, do you cut bait? Do you just keep being patient with the player, keep giving him raises because, by golly, when he does play he looks like he could be really good?

Obviously a rhetorical question. The thing is we DON'T have a player like him on the third line, because he's rarely ever there. Perhaps I'm exagerrating.

I'm not saying the time is now to cut bait, for all the reasons you listed, which make alot of sense, but there has to be some breaking point.

Old
10-21-2005, 02:39 PM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissmeimasensfan
At what point, though, do you cut bait? Do you just keep being patient with the player, keep giving him raises because, by golly, when he does play he looks like he could be really good?

Obviously a rhetorical question. The thing is we DON'T have a player like him on the third line, because he's rarely ever there. Perhaps I'm exagerrating.

I'm not saying the time is now to cut bait, for all the reasons you listed, which make alot of sense, but there has to be some breaking point.
I hear what you're saying, and, those required 10% raises get difficult in these situations (as they were with Phillips). However, if the Sens went to look for a replacement player like Fisher, they'd find that one is hard to come by. You're better of keeping the one you have, and hoep that those injuries work themselves out. There really aren't many other alternatives.

Old
10-21-2005, 02:47 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

We should be thanking our lucky stars that we only have one or two injury prone players (Fisher, Hasek) on our team.

A lot of teams have more.

Old
10-21-2005, 03:02 PM
Lonnie Loach

I'll take Fish on my team any day of the week, injury prone or not. The biggest reason why Fish is often injured is that he lays it on the line everytime he plays. He's consistently one of our most effective forwards in the playoffs, and his playoff stats would reflect that if he had been given more ice time in the past. I'll never forget the way he brought Scott Stevens to his knees with a clean hit in the third period of game 7 in 2003. Uninvolved, gutless players tend to be "iron men". Look no further than "iron man" Yashin versus a Fisher, Peca or Roberts.

Old
10-21-2005, 03:03 PM
chara

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil
We should be thanking our lucky stars that we only have one or two injury prone players (Fisher, Hasek) on our team.

A lot of teams have more.
Is Hasek injured? If not, Hasek has yet to be injury prone in a Sens jersey.

Old
10-21-2005, 03:18 PM
Pangu

Well, we may have cut bait to early on Salo. That guy had multiple species of injury bugs crawling all over him while in Ottawa, but he seems to be doing quite a bit better in Vancouver. So I say, either we keep Fisher, or send him to Vancouver for one of the Sedin twins. I don't really care which one we get... I mean they probably switch jerseys all the time as a practical joke anyway.

Old
10-21-2005, 03:20 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chara
Is Hasek injured? If not, Hasek has yet to be injury prone in a Sens jersey.
Hence the "one or two", depending on how you look at it.

Old
10-21-2005, 03:55 PM
CombatOnContact

Send a message via MSN to CombatOnContact
This game is on RDS...

Does that mean its blacked out on NHL Center Ice?

Cause that would really suck if I can't watch the game...

I have the bare basic cable package and NHL Center Ice...so RDS is not included.

Stupid cable money hoggers.

Old
10-21-2005, 04:10 PM
IdiotsPickedMyName*

Its on Sportsnet

Old
10-21-2005, 04:18 PM
Pothier

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbth
Its on Sportsnet
On my Bell ExpressVU, it's coming up as AHL-Bulldogs at Marlies.

Old
10-21-2005, 04:23 PM
Tap on the Ankle
expert analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battochio30
On my Bell ExpressVU, it's coming up as AHL-Bulldogs at Marlies.
On my Rogers Digital Cable it says it's the Sens-Bolts game on Sportsnet at 7:30, and they're usually right

Old
10-21-2005, 04:35 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 277
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Should be a good game. I hope people can step up with Havlat out. I also am hoping to see Schubert in soon (probably not tonight).

It feels like weeks since the Sens last played a game.

Closed Thread