HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Riding the hot Goalie

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-21-2005, 09:00 AM
  #1
ebn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 248
vCash: 500
Riding the hot Goalie

Rangers should ride the hot goalie. Weekes lost. 5 goals on 21 shots. Start Lunqvist next game. If he wins the start him again. If he loses go back to Weekes. The hot goalie plays. Atleast that's what I would do.

ebn is offline  
Old
10-21-2005, 09:03 AM
  #2
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebn
The hot goalie plays. Atleast that's what I would do.
I keep a rotation going, within reason. Keep riding a guy while he's hot and your risk burning him out. I wouldn't support starting the hot hand 3 times in 4 nights as an example.

Melrose_Jr. is offline  
Old
10-21-2005, 09:12 AM
  #3
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,473
vCash: 500
Unless Lundqvist looked fatigued...

I would've played him in back-to-back games and gotten Weekes into the swing of things against Buffalo, prior to the five-day break. I agree with riding the hot goalie, as long as there's no signs of fatigue - and with seven days off (if Weekes started on Saturday), I don't think Lundqvist would've been over-worked. But as Renney said, Weekes is his number one goalie (or he's just saying that to keep pushing Lundqvist to become that, as well as to keep some pressure off Lundqvist - or, he's just backing Weekes - I'm hoping it's one of the former two).

Fletch is offline  
Old
10-21-2005, 09:12 AM
  #4
ebn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
I keep a rotation going, within reason. Keep riding a guy while he's hot and your risk burning him out. I wouldn't support starting the hot hand 3 times in 4 nights as an example.
Well if you feel he's burning up give him a rest. If he is not burning up start him.
If Lunqvist starts burning up sit him for one or two games. However if he's hot then use him you need as many points as you can get and riding the hot goalie will get you that.

ebn is offline  
Old
10-21-2005, 09:14 AM
  #5
ebn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 248
vCash: 500
Who do you guys think should start against Buffalo. I think Lunqvist. He gives Rangers a better chance to win right now than Weekes. If Lunqvist Loses than play Weekes.

ebn is offline  
Old
10-21-2005, 09:16 AM
  #6
Leetchie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Hillsborough, NJ
Posts: 892
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Leetchie
I don't think that by starting Lundqvist we're "riding the hot goalie" at all. He's not "hot" right now in my mind. He's still getting used to the NHL players and speed, and he's only going to get better.

Trust me when I say that when he's hot, you'll know it. And right now isn't that time. He's just being the normal Lundqvist.


Leetchie is offline  
Old
10-21-2005, 09:22 AM
  #7
phishman3579
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Maple Shade, NJ
Posts: 880
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to phishman3579 Send a message via AIM to phishman3579 Send a message via Yahoo to phishman3579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetchie
I don't think that by starting Lundqvist we're "riding the hot goalie" at all. He's not "hot" right now in my mind. He's still getting used to the NHL players and speed, and he's only going to get better.

Trust me when I say that when he's hot, you'll know it. And right now isn't that time. He's just being the normal Lundqvist.

Three win's in a row and two over-time losses, for me, is a hot goalie; considering he's on the Rangers. It's better than 1-2-0-1 that Weeke's is currently gloating about.

phishman3579 is offline  
Old
10-21-2005, 09:24 AM
  #8
007
You 'Orns!
 
007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mannahatta
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,490
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
I would've played him in back-to-back games and gotten Weekes into the swing of things against Buffalo, prior to the five-day break. I agree with riding the hot goalie, as long as there's no signs of fatigue - and with seven days off (if Weekes started on Saturday), I don't think Lundqvist would've been over-worked. But as Renney said, Weekes is his number one goalie (or he's just saying that to keep pushing Lundqvist to become that, as well as to keep some pressure off Lundqvist - or, he's just backing Weekes - I'm hoping it's one of the former two).
If you ask me, Lundqvist did look fatigued -- not much, but he wasn't the same goalie against the Isles that he was against the Devils or Atlanta. Somewhere I read that he himself said he had a bad practice before the first Islander's game because he wasn't used to playing so often.

Renney made the right call going with Weekes. Weekes looked bad -- he was certainly rusty and he failed to raise his game to the occasion. but I think it'd be a mistake to try to ride a goalie who has never played an 80-game season before. Remember, we're here to lay the foundations for years to come.

007 is offline  
Old
10-21-2005, 09:26 AM
  #9
phishman3579
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Maple Shade, NJ
Posts: 880
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to phishman3579 Send a message via AIM to phishman3579 Send a message via Yahoo to phishman3579
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
If you ask me, Lundqvist did look fatigued -- not much, but he wasn't the same goalie against the Isles that he was against the Devils or Atlanta. Somewhere I read that he himself said he had a bad practice before the first Islander's game because he wasn't used to playing so often.
He wasn't the same goalie against the Isles because he had all of 5 scoring chances against him.

phishman3579 is offline  
Old
10-21-2005, 09:28 AM
  #10
007
You 'Orns!
 
007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mannahatta
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,490
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by phishman3579
He wasn't the same goalie against the Isles because he had all of 5 scoring chances against him.
He had nothing against him in Florida, and he looked better in that game, too.

007 is offline  
Old
10-21-2005, 09:31 AM
  #11
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebn
Who do you guys think should start against Buffalo. I think Lunqvist.
Definitely.

Melrose_Jr. is offline  
Old
10-21-2005, 09:34 AM
  #12
ebn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
If you ask me, Lundqvist did look fatigued -- not much, but he wasn't the same goalie against the Isles that he was against the Devils or Atlanta. Somewhere I read that he himself said he had a bad practice before the first Islander's game because he wasn't used to playing so often.

Renney made the right call going with Weekes. Weekes looked bad -- he was certainly rusty and he failed to raise his game to the occasion. but I think it'd be a mistake to try to ride a goalie who has never played an 80-game season before. Remember, we're here to lay the foundations for years to come.
He might of had a bad practice but after Buffalo we have a long stretch of no games. He could of rested. I basically feel we lost two points by not going with Lunqvist. I don't think that's a good idea to do.

ebn is offline  
Old
10-21-2005, 09:35 AM
  #13
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
Definitely.
I am actually betting that Weekes is the goalie for the next two games.

True Blue is offline  
Old
10-21-2005, 09:51 AM
  #14
DarthSather99
Registered User
 
DarthSather99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
If you ask me, Lundqvist did look fatigued -- not much, but he wasn't the same goalie against the Isles that he was against the Devils or Atlanta. Somewhere I read that he himself said he had a bad practice before the first Islander's game because he wasn't used to playing so often.

Renney made the right call going with Weekes. Weekes looked bad -- he was certainly rusty and he failed to raise his game to the occasion. but I think it'd be a mistake to try to ride a goalie who has never played an 80-game season before. Remember, we're here to lay the foundations for years to come.

I agree with this. People here are acting like we are playing the 78th game of the year and are 4 points out of a playoff spot with Dominic Hasek being benched. Weeks had a bad game, he will play better. Lundqvist will play bad games over the course of the season but that doesn't mean we should demote him.

DarthSather99 is offline  
Old
10-21-2005, 09:54 AM
  #15
ebn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99
I agree with this. People here are acting like we are playing the 78th game of the year and are 4 points out of a playoff spot with Dominic Hasek being benched. Weeks had a bad game, he will play better. Lundqvist will play bad games over the course of the season but that doesn't mean we should demote him.
I agree with you. But why not ride the goalie who is playing good. As soon as Lunqvist gets tired or losses we go with Weekes the vise versa.

ebn is offline  
Old
10-21-2005, 10:10 AM
  #16
007
You 'Orns!
 
007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mannahatta
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,490
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebn
I agree with you. But why not ride the goalie who is playing good. As soon as Lunqvist gets tired or losses we go with Weekes the vise versa.
Because the idea is to manage your goalies, not ride them until they get fatigued. That's how you blow their confidence and cause injuries.

007 is offline  
Old
10-21-2005, 10:13 AM
  #17
007
You 'Orns!
 
007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mannahatta
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,490
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
I am actually betting that Weekes is the goalie for the next two games.
For better or worse, I'm with you on this. I'd say I'm 75% certain Weekes will be in net against Buffalo. If he isn't, it's a signal from management that they don't think they can rely on him, and they're really counting on him this season.

Now that Lundqvist has shown what he can do, though, I'm fairly sure that we'll see him 2 games out of 5 or something like that. That should play to Weekes' strengths, too. Call them No. 1 and No. 1A this season.

007 is offline  
Old
10-21-2005, 10:56 AM
  #18
ebn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
Because the idea is to manage your goalies, not ride them until they get fatigued. That's how you blow their confidence and cause injuries.
You sound like these goaltenders are made of straw. I believe Lunqvist should be plaing right now period. Simply because the team is winning. Dipietro played two in a row and helped the Ilses to win. We should have played Lunqvist and grabbed the two or one points like the night before. You just can't afford to loose points.

Weekes should of started against Buffalo or against the Islanders at home.
Plus we have a big braek after the Buffalo game. Anyway I hope management in a few games realize Lunqvist plaing good and Weekes playing bad. So go for the one that will get you the two points.

ebn is offline  
Old
10-21-2005, 11:02 AM
  #19
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 18,895
vCash: 500
Agree with 007& Co. on Lundqvist. He doesn't even have a place to live right now. He is looking for a appartment. Put yourself in the same situation, living in a hotelroom, dooing the laundry at a friends place(Nylander), looking for a apartment, all your stuff in a suitcase or at the other side of the atlantic and you will know it takes allot of energy. Even for a hockeyplayer. Now is not the time to "ride" Lundqvist. If we get into the same situation in January-Mars its a diffrent story but let him settle in first... The marginals are so small for a goalie that King Henrik "deserves" to be able to be well prepered when ever he starts.

Ola is offline  
Old
10-21-2005, 11:18 AM
  #20
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebn
Dipietro played two in a row and helped the Ilses to win.
Yah, but DP was coming off a week-long layoff because of the world's mildest concussion.

I hope you guys are wrong 007 and TB. I can understand getting Weeke's getting back into the game, but Lundqvist deserves the next start and I'd like to see Kevin rest that groin after seeing a lot of action last night.

Saw the recap of the Buffalo game last night and we need to be ready for these guys, even without Satan.

Melrose_Jr. is offline  
Old
10-21-2005, 11:21 AM
  #21
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 16,392
vCash: 500
Give Weekes the start against Buffalo. Lundqvist will get more than enough starts this year.

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
10-21-2005, 11:21 AM
  #22
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
I hope you guys are wrong 007 and TB. I can understand getting Weeke's getting back into the game, but Lundqvist deserves the next start and I'd like to see Kevin rest that groin after seeing a lot of action last night.
I would like to see Henke as well. However, all of Renney's comments are convincing me that Weekes will get another couple of starts before we see Henke again.

True Blue is offline  
Old
10-21-2005, 11:47 AM
  #23
Edge
Kris King's Ghost
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Amish Paradise
Country: United States
Posts: 13,814
vCash: 500
At the end of the day Henke is still a rookie and a talented one. Like a promosing pitcher, some of his early success is talent and some is teams not seeing him yet.

I think Renney is trying to find a balance right now. Henke has played great so far, Weekes not so great, but i don't think he wants to just keep throwing Henke out there just yet.

I dont think Weekes "losing" the job this early will benefit anyone in the long run, including Henke.

It's 8 games into the season, I'd still take it a little slow with Henke and if he just keeps playing at that level than he'll get more and more starts.

Edge is offline  
Old
10-21-2005, 12:13 PM
  #24
JCProdigy
Registered User
 
JCProdigy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: I want what I want
Posts: 1,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebn
You sound like these goaltenders are made of straw. I believe Lunqvist should be plaing right now period. Simply because the team is winning. Dipietro played two in a row and helped the Ilses to win. We should have played Lunqvist and grabbed the two or one points like the night before. You just can't afford to loose points.

Weekes should of started against Buffalo or against the Islanders at home.
Plus we have a big braek after the Buffalo game. Anyway I hope management in a few games realize Lunqvist plaing good and Weekes playing bad. So go for the one that will get you the two points.
While making the playoffs is and will always be a goal for a team at the beginning of the season I don't think the Rangers org is in a position right now to risk the development/health to one of their young netminders just because he could get a couple of extra points for the team. The team can afford to lose those points if it means that Lundqvist is brought along properly. Properly to me is setting up a goalie rotation and avoiding the overworking of Lundy as some on the board want.

As 007 said fatigue leads to injuries. Your body gets sloppy with it's movements and thats how muscle pulls and the like occur. A coaches job isn't to take a goalie out after he shows fatigue in his last game but rather to keep him from showing fatigue in the first place. Is Lundy a 18 year old rookie? No, But is Lundy a 23 year old who is seeing NHL action and is over in NA for the first time? Yes. So far I don't mind the cautious route.

JCProdigy is offline  
Old
10-21-2005, 05:10 PM
  #25
Pinox
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: goteborg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1
vCash: 500
Henke is just going to be better and better and much more better

Pinox is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.