HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Riding the hot Goalie

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2005, 09:00 AM
ebn

vCash: 500
Riding the hot Goalie

Rangers should ride the hot goalie. Weekes lost. 5 goals on 21 shots. Start Lunqvist next game. If he wins the start him again. If he loses go back to Weekes. The hot goalie plays. Atleast that's what I would do.

Old
10-21-2005, 09:03 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebn
The hot goalie plays. Atleast that's what I would do.
I keep a rotation going, within reason. Keep riding a guy while he's hot and your risk burning him out. I wouldn't support starting the hot hand 3 times in 4 nights as an example.

Old
10-21-2005, 09:12 AM
Fletch

Unless Lundqvist looked fatigued...

I would've played him in back-to-back games and gotten Weekes into the swing of things against Buffalo, prior to the five-day break. I agree with riding the hot goalie, as long as there's no signs of fatigue - and with seven days off (if Weekes started on Saturday), I don't think Lundqvist would've been over-worked. But as Renney said, Weekes is his number one goalie (or he's just saying that to keep pushing Lundqvist to become that, as well as to keep some pressure off Lundqvist - or, he's just backing Weekes - I'm hoping it's one of the former two).

Old
10-21-2005, 09:12 AM
ebn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
I keep a rotation going, within reason. Keep riding a guy while he's hot and your risk burning him out. I wouldn't support starting the hot hand 3 times in 4 nights as an example.
Well if you feel he's burning up give him a rest. If he is not burning up start him.
If Lunqvist starts burning up sit him for one or two games. However if he's hot then use him you need as many points as you can get and riding the hot goalie will get you that.

Old
10-21-2005, 09:14 AM
ebn

Who do you guys think should start against Buffalo. I think Lunqvist. He gives Rangers a better chance to win right now than Weekes. If Lunqvist Loses than play Weekes.

Old
10-21-2005, 09:16 AM
Leetchie

Send a message via AIM to Leetchie
I don't think that by starting Lundqvist we're "riding the hot goalie" at all. He's not "hot" right now in my mind. He's still getting used to the NHL players and speed, and he's only going to get better.

Trust me when I say that when he's hot, you'll know it. And right now isn't that time. He's just being the normal Lundqvist.

Old
10-21-2005, 09:22 AM
phishman3579

Send a message via ICQ to phishman3579 Send a message via AIM to phishman3579 Send a message via Yahoo to phishman3579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetchie
I don't think that by starting Lundqvist we're "riding the hot goalie" at all. He's not "hot" right now in my mind. He's still getting used to the NHL players and speed, and he's only going to get better.

Trust me when I say that when he's hot, you'll know it. And right now isn't that time. He's just being the normal Lundqvist.

Three win's in a row and two over-time losses, for me, is a hot goalie; considering he's on the Rangers. It's better than 1-2-0-1 that Weeke's is currently gloating about.

Old
10-21-2005, 09:24 AM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
I would've played him in back-to-back games and gotten Weekes into the swing of things against Buffalo, prior to the five-day break. I agree with riding the hot goalie, as long as there's no signs of fatigue - and with seven days off (if Weekes started on Saturday), I don't think Lundqvist would've been over-worked. But as Renney said, Weekes is his number one goalie (or he's just saying that to keep pushing Lundqvist to become that, as well as to keep some pressure off Lundqvist - or, he's just backing Weekes - I'm hoping it's one of the former two).
If you ask me, Lundqvist did look fatigued -- not much, but he wasn't the same goalie against the Isles that he was against the Devils or Atlanta. Somewhere I read that he himself said he had a bad practice before the first Islander's game because he wasn't used to playing so often.

Renney made the right call going with Weekes. Weekes looked bad -- he was certainly rusty and he failed to raise his game to the occasion. but I think it'd be a mistake to try to ride a goalie who has never played an 80-game season before. Remember, we're here to lay the foundations for years to come.

Old
10-21-2005, 09:26 AM
phishman3579

Send a message via ICQ to phishman3579 Send a message via AIM to phishman3579 Send a message via Yahoo to phishman3579
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
If you ask me, Lundqvist did look fatigued -- not much, but he wasn't the same goalie against the Isles that he was against the Devils or Atlanta. Somewhere I read that he himself said he had a bad practice before the first Islander's game because he wasn't used to playing so often.
He wasn't the same goalie against the Isles because he had all of 5 scoring chances against him.

Old
10-21-2005, 09:28 AM
You 'Orns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishman3579
He wasn't the same goalie against the Isles because he had all of 5 scoring chances against him.
He had nothing against him in Florida, and he looked better in that game, too.

Old
10-21-2005, 09:31 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebn
Who do you guys think should start against Buffalo. I think Lunqvist.
Definitely.

Old
10-21-2005, 09:34 AM
ebn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007

Renney made the right call going with Weekes. Weekes looked bad -- he was certainly rusty and he failed to raise his game to the occasion. but I think it'd be a mistake to try to ride a goalie who has never played an 80-game season before. Remember, we're here to lay the foundations for years to come.
He might of had a bad practice but after Buffalo we have a long stretch of no games. He could of rested. I basically feel we lost two points by not going with Lunqvist. I don't think that's a good idea to do.

Old
10-21-2005, 09:35 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Definitely.
I am actually betting that Weekes is the goalie for the next two games.

Old
10-21-2005, 09:51 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007

I agree with this. People here are acting like we are playing the 78th game of the year and are 4 points out of a playoff spot with Dominic Hasek being benched. Weeks had a bad game, he will play better. Lundqvist will play bad games over the course of the season but that doesn't mean we should demote him.

Old
10-21-2005, 09:54 AM
ebn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99
I agree with this. People here are acting like we are playing the 78th game of the year and are 4 points out of a playoff spot with Dominic Hasek being benched. Weeks had a bad game, he will play better. Lundqvist will play bad games over the course of the season but that doesn't mean we should demote him.
I agree with you. But why not ride the goalie who is playing good. As soon as Lunqvist gets tired or losses we go with Weekes the vise versa.

Old
10-21-2005, 10:10 AM
You 'Orns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebn
I agree with you. But why not ride the goalie who is playing good. As soon as Lunqvist gets tired or losses we go with Weekes the vise versa.
Because the idea is to manage your goalies, not ride them until they get fatigued. That's how you blow their confidence and cause injuries.

Old
10-21-2005, 10:13 AM
You 'Orns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
I am actually betting that Weekes is the goalie for the next two games.
For better or worse, I'm with you on this. I'd say I'm 75% certain Weekes will be in net against Buffalo. If he isn't, it's a signal from management that they don't think they can rely on him, and they're really counting on him this season.

Now that Lundqvist has shown what he can do, though, I'm fairly sure that we'll see him 2 games out of 5 or something like that. That should play to Weekes' strengths, too. Call them No. 1 and No. 1A this season.

Old
10-21-2005, 10:56 AM
ebn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
Because the idea is to manage your goalies, not ride them until they get fatigued. That's how you blow their confidence and cause injuries.
You sound like these goaltenders are made of straw. I believe Lunqvist should be plaing right now period. Simply because the team is winning. Dipietro played two in a row and helped the Ilses to win. We should have played Lunqvist and grabbed the two or one points like the night before. You just can't afford to loose points.

Weekes should of started against Buffalo or against the Islanders at home.
Plus we have a big braek after the Buffalo game. Anyway I hope management in a few games realize Lunqvist plaing good and Weekes playing bad. So go for the one that will get you the two points.

Old
10-21-2005, 11:02 AM
Ola

Agree with 007& Co. on Lundqvist. He doesn't even have a place to live right now. He is looking for a appartment. Put yourself in the same situation, living in a hotelroom, dooing the laundry at a friends place(Nylander), looking for a apartment, all your stuff in a suitcase or at the other side of the atlantic and you will know it takes allot of energy. Even for a hockeyplayer. Now is not the time to "ride" Lundqvist. If we get into the same situation in January-Mars its a diffrent story but let him settle in first... The marginals are so small for a goalie that King Henrik "deserves" to be able to be well prepered when ever he starts.

Old
10-21-2005, 11:18 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebn
Dipietro played two in a row and helped the Ilses to win.
Yah, but DP was coming off a week-long layoff because of the world's mildest concussion.

I hope you guys are wrong 007 and TB. I can understand getting Weeke's getting back into the game, but Lundqvist deserves the next start and I'd like to see Kevin rest that groin after seeing a lot of action last night.

Saw the recap of the Buffalo game last night and we need to be ready for these guys, even without Satan.

Old
10-21-2005, 11:21 AM
broadwayblue

Give Weekes the start against Buffalo. Lundqvist will get more than enough starts this year.

Old
10-21-2005, 11:21 AM
True Blue

Quote:
I hope you guys are wrong 007 and TB. I can understand getting Weeke's getting back into the game, but Lundqvist deserves the next start and I'd like to see Kevin rest that groin after seeing a lot of action last night.
I would like to see Henke as well. However, all of Renney's comments are convincing me that Weekes will get another couple of starts before we see Henke again.

Old
10-21-2005, 11:47 AM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

At the end of the day Henke is still a rookie and a talented one. Like a promosing pitcher, some of his early success is talent and some is teams not seeing him yet.

I think Renney is trying to find a balance right now. Henke has played great so far, Weekes not so great, but i don't think he wants to just keep throwing Henke out there just yet.

I dont think Weekes "losing" the job this early will benefit anyone in the long run, including Henke.

It's 8 games into the season, I'd still take it a little slow with Henke and if he just keeps playing at that level than he'll get more and more starts.

Old
10-21-2005, 12:13 PM
JCProdigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebn
You sound like these goaltenders are made of straw. I believe Lunqvist should be plaing right now period. Simply because the team is winning. Dipietro played two in a row and helped the Ilses to win. We should have played Lunqvist and grabbed the two or one points like the night before. You just can't afford to loose points.

Weekes should of started against Buffalo or against the Islanders at home.
Plus we have a big braek after the Buffalo game. Anyway I hope management in a few games realize Lunqvist plaing good and Weekes playing bad. So go for the one that will get you the two points.
While making the playoffs is and will always be a goal for a team at the beginning of the season I don't think the Rangers org is in a position right now to risk the development/health to one of their young netminders just because he could get a couple of extra points for the team. The team can afford to lose those points if it means that Lundqvist is brought along properly. Properly to me is setting up a goalie rotation and avoiding the overworking of Lundy as some on the board want.

As 007 said fatigue leads to injuries. Your body gets sloppy with it's movements and thats how muscle pulls and the like occur. A coaches job isn't to take a goalie out after he shows fatigue in his last game but rather to keep him from showing fatigue in the first place. Is Lundy a 18 year old rookie? No, But is Lundy a 23 year old who is seeing NHL action and is over in NA for the first time? Yes. So far I don't mind the cautious route.

Old
10-21-2005, 05:10 PM
Pinox

Henke is just going to be better and better and much more better

Closed Thread