HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TSN Power ranking justifications

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2005, 10:32 AM
Johnny LaRue

vCash: 500
TSN Power ranking justifications

For those of you who are interested, the person who devises the power rankings responded to some hate mail. He does a decent job of defending himself too.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=140399&hubname=nhl

Old
10-21-2005, 12:48 PM
God Bless Canada

There is never justification for simply using individual statistics to rank a team, especially a team in a sport where there is so much more than statistics involved: leadership, intangibles, cohesiveness, coaching, etc.

Old
10-21-2005, 01:21 PM
Johnny LaRue

But, that's all that power rankings are. They are simply a series of statistics. You plug in the numbers, and see what comes out.

Old
10-21-2005, 01:49 PM
BAuldie

Send a message via ICQ to BAuldie Send a message via MSN to BAuldie
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada
There is never justification for simply using individual statistics to rank a team, especially a team in a sport where there is so much more than statistics involved: leadership, intangibles, cohesiveness, coaching, etc.
Who cares? They can do the power rankings however they want.. you can never please everybody. If they want to use the stats that way then so be it. A lot of people are just bitter because it reflected so poorly on the Canucks early on. Don't like the way they are done? Don't read them and quit whining.

Old
10-21-2005, 02:38 PM
galiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAuldie
Who cares? They can do the power rankings however they want.. you can never please everybody. If they want to use the stats that way then so be it. A lot of people are just bitter because it reflected so poorly on the Canucks early on. Don't like the way they are done? Don't read them and quit whining.
Well I take exception to your " don't read them and quit whining " TSN would like us to think that they are a legitimate, Canadian sports network with unbiased and objective reporting. What ? Unbiased ? I don't think so. Lots of us view it as one of our main sources of NHL hockey news. Why suggest we are whining because most of us feel that TSN has a pronounced Toronto bias which we see all the time ? Criticism of a ranking system that has the Leafs 2nd and the Canucks 17th at this point in the season is valid criticism. The ranking is preposterous. However this ranking was arrived at is faulty and certainly worthy of our criticism which in no way can be seen as whining.

TSN is the Toronto Sports Network and this is just more proof. Oh.... and if you don't like reading posts like this and all the others that voice this sentiment abouit TSN , I would suggest you " don't read them and quit whining "

Old
10-21-2005, 02:53 PM
BAuldie

Quote:
Originally Posted by galiano
Well I take exception to your " don't read them and quit whining " TSN would like us to think that they are a legitimate, Canadian sports network with unbiased and objective reporting. What ? Unbiased ? I don't think so. Lots of us view it as one of our main sources of NHL hockey news. Why suggest we are whining because most of us feel that TSN has a pronounced Toronto bias which we see all the time ? Criticism of a ranking system that has the Leafs 2nd and the Canucks 17th at this point in the season is valid criticism. The ranking is preposterous. However this ranking was arrived at is faulty and certainly worthy of our criticism which in no way can be seen as whining.

TSN is the Toronto Sports Network and this is just more proof. Oh.... and if you don't like reading posts like this and all the others that voice this sentiment abouit TSN , I would suggest you " don't read them and quit whining "

How can it be biased towards the Leafs.. everyone just assumes that because the Leafs were 2nd the stats were setup for them. They'll use the same stats all season and I'm pretty sure they used the same stats last season. People and they're Leaf conspiracy theories!

Old
10-21-2005, 02:54 PM
BAuldie

and no, I won't quit my whining.. its what I do best and my mother always told me to concentrate on what I do best

Old
10-21-2005, 03:19 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Well they did say van moved up to 6th after beating chicago, id still put them about that after the phoenix game.

Old
10-21-2005, 03:54 PM
PecaFan

This joker needs to focus on what the hell his power rankings are supposed to be then. He justifies the ratings based on likely playoff success, but the ratings are keyed to how teams are playing now.

If it's playoffs, there's a whole whack of teams up near the top that likely won't even make the playoffs. If it's now, there's a whole bunch of teams playing well in the middle of the rankings, below teams playing poorly.

Old
10-21-2005, 04:20 PM
Cupless
Wants new username

I didn't really find his justifications very viable.

Putting more weight into Lindros producing with his 20 minutes per game than Park producing with his 14? Seems to me that it doesn't matter where the production is coming from, a team's power is represented by the final score of the game.

Cullen's stat system is obviously flawed. I would argue that any statistical power system is flawed, because hockey is not stats. Toronto's 9-1 thrashing of Atlanta, for example could just as likely (in fact, more likely imo) indicative of a really bad Atlanta team as it would be for a really good Toronto team. Yet his system obviously rewards the Leafs hugely for that one win.

Bottom line is you need to have an unbiased subjective view of each team in order to accurately come up with this kind of ranking system. Just running the numbers is going to produce goofy results, as has been shown.

Closed Thread