HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Offers for Brent Johnson

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2003, 08:03 PM
c-carp

vCash: 500
Offers for Brent Johnson

After watching the game tonight I am convinced that he needs a change of teams, if he is going to make it. I am not a big Johnson fan and could care less except for the fact that we need a capable backup.

I hate to use the name Guigere here, but wasnt Anaheim his 3rd team. Maybe if Johnson was to move on and get a goaltending coach to help him with his game like Guigere did he could salvage his career.

this kid has shown flashes ie playoff series two years ago vs the Hawks, he has a good amount of athletic ability.

I am not expecting much back at this time, 3rd round pick or depth player or prospect needing a change of team would do it for me.

Thoughts or proposals

Old
10-21-2003, 08:06 PM
CCF
This is the year....

I'd like to see Calgary make a run for him. He's young enough that he could provide them with a good goaltender for now and the future.

Of course Turek's contract always comes in the way of things.

Old
10-21-2003, 08:26 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF
I'd like to see Calgary make a run for him. He's young enough that he could provide them with a good goaltender for now and the future.

Of course Turek's contract always comes in the way of things.
Johnnie only makes 1.1 a year. Make an offer.

Old
10-21-2003, 08:38 PM
nucks2001

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
Johnnie only makes 1.1 a year. Make an offer.
3rd round pick as you suggested?

Old
10-21-2003, 08:51 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucks2001
3rd round pick as you suggested?
I would take that and run. Going back to the Flames, I would take Jamie McLennan and a later pick. reason being McLennan knows he is a backup and has no problem with that. He has the Mental makeup where he can go streches without playing, come off the bench and play well, much like he did when he backed up Turek, when Turek won the Jennings. This would allow the Blues to give their younger goalies more time to develop. Anyone from Calgary game for that.

Thoughts

Old
10-21-2003, 09:18 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
I would take that and run. Going back to the Flames, I would take Jamie McLennan and a later pick. reason being McLennan knows he is a backup and has no problem with that. He has the Mental makeup where he can go streches without playing, come off the bench and play well, much like he did when he backed up Turek, when Turek won the Jennings. This would allow the Blues to give their younger goalies more time to develop. Anyone from Calgary game for that.

Thoughts
I definently like Brent Johnson coming to Calgary, especially with Turek out for a long time. McLennan right now is playing over his head, so his stats are most likely misleading. In fact, they are.

Would ya take Chris Clark too? He's taking up Robert Dome's or Josh Green's roster spot.

Old
10-21-2003, 09:23 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man
I definently like Brent Johnson coming to Calgary, especially with Turek out for a long time. McLennan right now is playing over his head, so his stats are most likely misleading. In fact, they are.

Would ya take Chris Clark too? He's taking up Robert Dome's or Josh Green's roster spot.
Johnson has talent and this trade could come back to bite the Blues in the ass. I was wanting McLennan mostly because he would have no problem being a backup and has the right mental makeup for it. He wouldnt be whining about lack of playing time. His stats may be misleading but he would be playing in front of a much better D in STL even without MacInnis. I would take McLennan and a 5th round pick myself.

Yes- No thoughts

Old
10-21-2003, 09:37 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Johnson has talent and this trade could come back to bite the Blues in the ass. I was wanting McLennan mostly because he would have no problem being a backup and has the right mental makeup for it. He wouldnt be whining about lack of playing time. His stats may be misleading but he would be playing in front of a much better D in STL even without MacInnis. I would take McLennan and a 5th round pick myself.

Yes- No thoughts
Yes, from this Flames fan.

Old
10-21-2003, 10:15 PM
Johnnybegood13

Quote:

Yes- No thoughts
No problem...phone Pleau NOW!!
Tell him Sutter said so

Sheesh,we couldn't give McLennan away at the waiver draft,what makes you think he's trade material now?

Old
10-21-2003, 10:43 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T
No problem...phone Pleau NOW!!
Tell him Sutter said so

Sheesh,we couldn't give McLennan away at the waiver draft,what makes you think he's trade material now?
Simply these points, yes Johnson has talent, but he looks like a sieve every time he gets to play.

I asked for McLennan using the simple premice that he understands that he is a backup and can play as a backup. He has the mental makeup to do it. He has played well for the flames early.

He has played in STL before and had no problem caddying for turek when they won the Jennings.

Finnally and this is most important from my point of view He cant make much money and If MacInnis is done I think the Blues will need some money to add a player like Berard to help the D.

Maybe I am undervaluing Johnson, but I dont see how he can bring much back given his play last year and at the start of this year.

Old
10-22-2003, 05:25 AM
Benji Frank

Why not go the other way with the pick....

Johnson and a decent pick for Mclennan and one of the Flames defencemen? A Lydman or a Ference or Leopold if they'd move him would look pretty good on that patchwork defence right now......

Old
10-22-2003, 05:36 AM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji Frank
Why not go the other way with the pick....

Johnson and a decent pick for Mclennan and one of the Flames defencemen? A Lydman or a Ference or Leopold if they'd move him would look pretty good on that patchwork defence right now......
Wow, there is some big differences in value between the d-men you offered up. If the Blues could get Leopold and McLennan for Johnson and a 3rd, they'd take that and run. Two young stud d-men would look VERY good. Especially since you could pair Jackman (stay at home) with Leopold (mobile). Blues take that and run.

Old
10-22-2003, 06:05 AM
VanW27

This is way out there and would never happen but how about:
to Stl-belfour+3rd
to Tor-johnson+demitra

As a leafs fan i think this is the direction they should go and i think the blues would be salavating at the chance to get belfour.

Old
10-22-2003, 06:10 AM
DontTouchMyDonskoi
4everFerkland

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwychen27
to Stl-belfour+3rd
to Tor-johnson+demitra

As a leafs fan i think this is the direction they should go and i think the blues would be salavating at the chance to get belfour.
hmm .. i dunno if TOR is getting enough here. Maybe they could add the rights to Jyrkki Lumme and get Jackman tossed into the deal ?

that *might* even it up, but probably not even then. I dunno, Blues fans, how much more are you willing to see your team add ?

DR

Old
10-22-2003, 06:18 AM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwychen27
to Stl-belfour+3rd
to Tor-johnson+demitra

Are you KIDDING me?!?!?!?!?! Holy crap. You are so going to get flamed. Demitra is worth soooooo much more then Belfour and a 3rd alone. He is worth more then Belfour, a 1st and a decent prospect. You do realize Belfour is much older and has a pretty big salary. Wow......

Old
10-22-2003, 06:21 AM
Frozen Testicle

vCash:
What are you guys thinking?? How long does it take to realize Johnson is a terrible goalie? No work ethic, bad attitude, talent? not THAT much.
Johnson for LEOPOLD??? c'mon guys lets not kid ourselves he can't cut it at the NHL.

Old
10-22-2003, 07:01 AM
Benji Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Testicle
What are you guys thinking?? How long does it take to realize Johnson is a terrible goalie? No work ethic, bad attitude, talent? not THAT much.
Johnson for LEOPOLD??? c'mon guys lets not kid ourselves he can't cut it at the NHL.
I threw Leopold out there as an afterthought ... after Lydman & Ference.

But anyway, what's Leopold done that makes him untouchable?

A confident Johnson would be a huge upgrade over a mediocre & over-valued Turek.......

Old
10-22-2003, 08:03 AM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji Frank
I threw Leopold out there as an afterthought ... after Lydman & Ference.

But anyway, what's Leopold done that makes him untouchable?

A confident Johnson would be a huge upgrade over a mediocre & over-valued Turek.......

Well, see, there's a little thing called potential. As well, Leopold is young, incredibly talented (won the Hobey Baker a couple years ago) and is developing into the PP QB that Calgary saw in him they day they traded for him.

That's what makes him untouhable. By your logic, the same thing should apply to Marc-Andre Fleury, Eric Staal, Nikolai Zherdev, etc. - what makes them untouchable? This question shouldn't even be asked to begin with. The players simply WON'T be traded at this stage of their careers.

Leopold ain't going anywhere. If this proposal was flipped around, and St. Louis wanted Turek, it'd be like Flames fans asking for Barret Jackman. IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN. There's no point discussing it.

When Turek is on his game, he can be one of the best goaltenders in the league. That said, Johnson would be a good stop-gap solution in Calgary while Turek is down, but once the Turek is back from injury, the #1 spot is his, and rightfully so over Johnson. Johnson seems to be the one who is overhyped here.

Old
10-22-2003, 08:20 AM
Frenzy1

Johnson's work ethic has really improved. I think the fans are down on him because of his outing last night, but.. the team was asleep for the 1st 15 minutes and then woke up. 2 goals were not his fault (great back door effort that Roy wouldn't have saved - 2nd was a rebound in front of the net on the PP from about 5' out). I do think that Johnson (at 26) is/will become a full time starter, but I don't see it happening here in St. Louis because I believe a change of Scenery would do him good.

Flames, I don't think, would offer Leopold - would love to see him in the Blue note, but not going to happen. I don't know much about Ference and Lyndman - but if either can play the point on the PP, I would consider it very easily. (I would ask for a 3rd line forward, but I think you are missing scoring also and we have a ton of grinders).

BTW - the Toronto trade doesn't come close to working for the Blues - Osgood is off to a great start so why do we want 3 goalies and wind up in the same situation as the Wings.

Closed Thread