HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's up with Roenick??

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2005, 01:15 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

vCash: 500
What's up with Roenick??

If I have one major concern so far this season, it would have to be the play of JR. For all intents and purposes, he may as well have been a scratch after that first period in Dallas, because he's been pretty much invisible since then.

I know he was having "skate issues" but that's not the problem, IMO. Watch him carry the puck - he's way too timid. I have seen rookies in the first NHL game carry the puck with more confidence.

Could he be scared of getting hit hard again? I'm not sure. Maybe he's still working himself into shape. I know we weren't going to get the Chicago version of JR, but I was at least hoping we would get the JR that had a pretty decent year with Philly last season.

I hope he picks it up soon. I'm sure he's helping out in the locker room with the young guys, but the Kings aren't paying him 5 mill per to do that.

Anyone agree/disagree?

Old
10-21-2005, 01:21 PM
TonySCV
Push to the 8th Seed

He'll come aorund... just as Conroy did.

Fortunately the Kings have so much depth offensively that contributions are coming from a variety of folks. I have no doubts that JR will come around. Until he does, others have stepped up.

Old
10-21-2005, 01:30 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV
He'll come aorund... just as Conroy did.

Fortunately the Kings have so much depth offensively that contributions are coming from a variety of folks. I have no doubts that JR will come around. Until he does, others have stepped up.
Yeah, but Conroy has been hustling- even when he wasn't producing any points. Roenick isn't hitting, hustling or anything. I don't think I've seen him throw a hit so far this season.

Old
10-21-2005, 01:46 PM
lakingsfan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh?
If I have one major concern so far this season, it would have to be the play of JR. For all intents and purposes, he may as well have been a scratch after that first period in Dallas, because he's been pretty much invisible since then.

I know he was having "skate issues" but that's not the problem, IMO. Watch him carry the puck - he's way too timid. I have seen rookies in the first NHL game carry the puck with more confidence.

Could he be scared of getting hit hard again? I'm not sure. Maybe he's still working himself into shape. I know we weren't going to get the Chicago version of JR, but I was at least hoping we would get the JR that had a pretty decent year with Philly last season.

I hope he picks it up soon. I'm sure he's helping out in the locker room with the young guys, but the Kings aren't paying him 5 mill per to do that.

Anyone agree/disagree?

Here is my take... JR has hit the wall already. Granted, it is pretty early in the year but lets all remember what he said in the offseason. He said himself it was going to take a couple months to get into normal game shape and with a short training camp, his concussion and the fact he did not play during the lockout, he knew exactly what he was talking about. So when he goes out and scores two goals in his first game, everyone expects him to be on his way to a 50 goal season. Ain't gonna happen!! That first game he was flying on adrenaline. Now that he has settled into the season, the grind is taking over and its gonna take time before we see the real JR.

People are calling for DT to trade Roenick already over at LGK, I mean come on!! Take a look at what Roenick is doing come December. By then, he will have had all the time he needs to find his hands, find his game and find his energy. If January comes and he still doesn't look like the same old JR, then we can talk about a trade.

Old
10-21-2005, 01:48 PM
TonySCV
Push to the 8th Seed

Quote:
Yeah, but Conroy has been hustling- even when he wasn't producing any points. Roenick isn't hitting, hustling or anything. I don't think I've seen him throw a hit so far this season.
I still think JR's playing with some post-concussion effects. I don't think I've ever seen anyone come back so quickly from a hit like that.

- T

Old
10-21-2005, 02:03 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakingsfan99
People are calling for DT to trade Roenick already over at LGK, I mean come on!!
No surprise there . Consider the source.

I like JR a lot, I hope he comes around. Because 5 million for what he's giving us is tough to swallow.

Old
10-21-2005, 02:08 PM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
I still think JR's playing with some post-concussion effects. I don't think I've ever seen anyone come back so quickly from a hit like that.

- T
I tend to agree with this. He really isn't getting involved in the game, kind of playing like he doesn't want to be hurt. It may be best for him to sit a game or two to make sure his marbles are still intact. Worse case, he pulls a Hull and we get the cap space. Best case, he comes around and chips in 15+ and provides solid leadership.
I just wish he'd stop complaining about losing money and what a raw deal the players got. Just drive your Porsch to the rink and produce. Then you could yap all you want.

Old
10-21-2005, 02:08 PM
klesis71

Quote:
Here is my take... JR has hit the wall already. Granted, it is pretty early in the year but lets all remember what he said in the offseason. He said himself it was going to take a couple months to get into normal game shape and with a short training camp, his concussion and the fact he did not play during the lockout, he knew exactly what he was talking about. So when he goes out and scores two goals in his first game, everyone expects him to be on his way to a 50 goal season. Ain't gonna happen!! That first game he was flying on adrenaline. Now that he has settled into the season, the grind is taking over and its gonna take time before we see the real JR.
agree.

Old
10-21-2005, 02:36 PM
KingTin

JR needs time, that's all. He'll find his game eventually. The effects of a year off cannot be underestimated, especially for a vet like JR. While he hasn't been what we'd like to expect, he hasn't been a liability either. Combine that with the concussion as others have mentioned and the result is somewhat tentative player.

Look around the league. The guys that played in leagues last year are thriving while countless others are day-to-day with groin injuries.

Let's just be patient. We're barely a couple weeks into the season and there's still much to be determined about the identity of this team and others.

Old
10-21-2005, 02:47 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
We're barely a couple weeks into the season and there's still much to be determined about the identity of this team and others.
Blasphemer!

Old
10-21-2005, 02:54 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Well, at least we can say that third round pick thrown in by Philly was a steal.

Old
10-21-2005, 04:59 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

i too suspected all along that JR is playing timid because he just doesnt want to get hit...however, athletes tend to have a short-term memory when it comes to this stuff...once they get in the flow of things, they tend to not think about their injuries as much and just play...I suspect that after 20 games or so, JR will be a lot less cautious than he seems now

Old
10-21-2005, 08:27 PM
Osprey

I'm not worried at all, either. I'm actually content with his play so far. He definitely has a lot more to give, but he's not a liability to his line or his team. He'll improve steadily. Also, pacing himself (especially when the team is winning) isn't a bad idea at all. If he were to go all out, he might tire himself out and maybe even injure himself badly. I think that starting out slowly will make him a force in the Spring (when the team will most likely need him far more).

Old
10-21-2005, 08:39 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
I'm not worried at all, either. I'm actually content with his play so far.
Have you been to any games this season?

Old
10-21-2005, 09:16 PM
ILuvLA

Quote:

- T
Agree with this, plus add that he didn't play last year. He will come around, it's just taking longer than we'd like.

Old
10-21-2005, 09:20 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Have you been to any games this season?
No. I'm not much of a fan of attending games. Maybe Roenick looks worse in person; I'll definitely concede that to you. Just don't misunderstand me. I'm just not "upset" with his play ("content" just means "not upset" to me), since I know that he has a lot of things to work through (out of shape, concussion, new system... err, skates).

Last edited by Osprey: 10-21-2005 at 10:03 PM.
Old
10-21-2005, 09:42 PM
KINGLEWOOD

I'm really happy with the way the Kings are playing right now, I think there are two players on the Kings who could improve a bit to help make them even better. JR and M.Garon. I think if these two guys take that extra step foward they will give the Kings an extra boost to help secure a good playoff position.

I don't think Garon has played all that bad but he has looked shaky, and JR just seems a bit reluctant to carry the puck and this team on his shoulders as we've seen him do in the past. I know both are capable and they've got a great supporting cast to make the adjustments easier for them.

Old
10-21-2005, 11:28 PM
no name

Roenick took 19 facoffs yesterday and won 4. I know its early but it is clear why Philly was so desperate to clear his 5 million dollar salary.

Old
10-22-2005, 02:48 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name
Roenick took 19 facoffs yesterday and won 4. I know its early but it is clear why Philly was so desperate to clear his 5 million dollar salary.
Players have off-nights when it comes to faceoff performance. Here are the stats for the last 5 games:

Dallas: Roenick was 22%, Belanger was 45% and Conroy was 33%.

Colorado: Roenick was 46%, Belanger was 66% and Conroy was 63%.

Minnesota: Roenick was 75%, Belanger was 35% and Conroy was 55%.

Detroit: Roenick was 36%, Belanger was 38% and Conroy was 52%

Edmonton: Roenick was 57%, Belanger was 56% and Conroy was 50%

Weighted average (over last 5 games): Roenick is 44.3%, Belanger is 48% and Conroy is 52.7%

The conclusion is that the Kings faceoff performers are all close to 50% and that
the percentage can fluctuate wildly from game to game, even for the top performers, such as Belanger.

Last edited by Osprey: 10-22-2005 at 03:29 AM.
Old
10-22-2005, 02:46 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
I think he's just not in game shape. He will work himself back into game shape and once he does, watch out! He's not using his speed much and that's taking away from everything else. I expect him to be the JR we knew we were getting pretty soon.

Old
10-22-2005, 02:56 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingz4life
I think he's just not in game shape. He will work himself back into game shape and once he does, watch out! He's not using his speed much and that's taking away from everything else. I expect him to be the JR we knew we were getting pretty soon.
He was clearly slowing down in 03/04

Old
10-22-2005, 02:59 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name
He was clearly slowing down in 03/04
I think missing all of those games with a broken jaw effected his game also. He's obviously going to slow down as the years pass but the guy is still going to put up big numbers. I think missing all of those games with a broken jaw effected his game also.

Closed Thread