HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HF Luc Bourdon Article

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2005, 03:41 PM
clay

vCash: 500
HF Luc Bourdon Article

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=8031

Old
10-21-2005, 04:25 PM
ZombieMatt

I'd like to say a special thanks to Simon for contributing that article.

Old
10-21-2005, 04:31 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
BOlieve dat

He'll make the team next year most definately. And I cant wait. Our D next year should be pretty good.

Ohlund - Bourdon
Allen - Jovo(If he resigns)
McCarthy/Baum/FA(?) - Salo

Old
10-21-2005, 04:46 PM
bure94

In light of what happened to Brule, I'm not so sure we should bring Luc up that quickly. As a young defenseman who is really really physical, we should bring him up slowly and make sure he grows up before putting him at risk in the bigs.

With our defense and next year's UFA bonanza (again), I think we can snag a decent #5 and I think jovo will resign.

Is this his last eligible year in Val'Dor ? Maybe a year or two in the AHL for him to body to solidify and perfect his defensive positioning.

The Canucks were so lucky to pick #10 ...

Old
10-21-2005, 04:48 PM
clay

He has one or maybe two years of chl eligability after this year.

Old
10-21-2005, 05:11 PM

Nice article about the Ragin' Acadian. I claim the title of being Boom-boom Bourdon's biggest fan.

Old
10-21-2005, 05:20 PM
ping

Quote:
Originally Posted by bure94
In light of what happened to Brule, I'm not so sure we should bring Luc up that quickly. As a young defenseman who is really really physical, we should bring him up slowly and make sure he grows up before putting him at risk in the bigs.
Watching the pre-season I saw Bourdon handle Laraque. The difference between Bourdon and Brule is about 4 inches and 25-30 pounds.

Old
10-21-2005, 05:51 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

I'm of the mindset that Luc Bourdon should spend the next two years in the minors, but only because that's what Phaneuf did.

Old
10-21-2005, 05:56 PM

Seriously, those years of professional-style off-season training might make him able to thrive in the bigs sooner than most. Watching him intently with binoculars, on and off the ice (no not stalking), I saw a poise beyond his years--along with explosive hits that "stayed hit." The game he watched beside Jovo in the press box, he gave the vibe of being a relaxed equal colleague.

Normally I'm for slow, careful progression, but in this case, he may be one of the exceptions. It does happen once in a while in hockey and other sports.

It might come down to the lesser of two evils: joining the Canucks a shade on the young side, or going back to the Q for still yet another grinding year of doing too much on a bad team. At his age I suppose those are the only choices available (maybe unless he's traded to a good junior team). The AHL seems to be out due to his age. Since he was close to making it this year, I think he'll make it next, especially considering that a return to Val d'Or may not be helpful by then.

Old
10-21-2005, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
I'm of the mindset that Luc Bourdon should spend the next two years in the minors, but only because that's what Phaneuf did.
That's an interesting point. I wouldn't know how to compare them, or the value of the Rebels' coaching staff vs what the Foreurs and the Q have to offer.

Old
10-22-2005, 12:05 AM
orcatown

Nice to see HF acknowledge Bourdon, finally. Not ranked in the top 60 prospects which, in hindsight, looks clearly an oversight.

I think it depends a lot on what Jovo does. If he goes I think Boudon might be moved onto the Canucks. I can see him getting 5th and 6th ice time.

Old
10-22-2005, 01:21 AM
Riven

I don't know what options will be available to the Canucks next year for the placement of Bourdon. I would prefer to see him in the AHL, assuming he has outgrown the CHL.

You can't deny biology. No matter whether someone looks big and tough or not, if they play in the the NHL before the body is ready, trouble will follow. A body not fully formed is simply not prepared to take 82+ games of abuse. Look at all the problems Bryan Allen ran into. He was big and tough, but ran into injuries even in junior.

I've made this point before, when we were discussing keeping Bourdon with the Canucks this year, but I think it is important, so I'll make it again. What type of player are the Canucks training Bourdon to be? I would think the team would see him as a top defenseman capable of playing 20-30 minutes per game. The way I figure it, if you want Bourdon to be a number 1 or 2 defenseman, play him 20-30 minutes in the AHL. Don't sit him on the end of an NHL bench, limiting him to 10 minutes.

The only way he should play the number 5/6 role is if he has proved himself in the AHL and is being eased into the NHL. Presumably, by that point he has developed the front line mentality and will not be satisfied with the second string role.

Old
10-22-2005, 01:21 AM
Nalyd Psycho

"Overall, from January of 2004 to April of 2005, the 17-year-old has traveled over 100,000 kms."

Why do I suspect that a remote team like Vancouver was mindful of this?

10-22-2005, 01:55 AM

I agree with Riven about the AHL being the ideal next step for Bourdon. The problem is that (I think) he can't go to the Moose next year, because he'll still be too young, or have too few CHA years under his belt, according to the rules. Does someone here know the fine print?

If that's the case, then it's either the NHL or the Q for him. Crosby, for instance, went right to the Penguins after the draft, but he wouldn't be allowed to play in the AHL for the next two years I think. Bourdon's in Crosby's draft class.

Old
10-22-2005, 06:02 AM
orcatown

I don't think it equates that you learn to play 20 - 30 minutes of NHL hockey by playing 20 - 30 minutes in the AHL. I think that you learn to play in the NHL by playing in it.

Hopefully the Canucks will have the ability to break in Bourdon more slowly than bringing him in as a 20 to 30 minute guy. I mean if you are a expansion team sometimes you don't have the choice. But it very rarely goes well to give a young player so much ice time. And that's even after a full year of AHL hockey.

By next season hopefully Bourdon makes the Canucks and gets sufficient ice to develop but not so much as to overwhelm him. Whether that will be possible or not depends a lot on the ability of the Canucks to resign Jovo or get an adequate top 4 guy.

Nonis has said it will be a Canuck policy to develop two rookies each year. this year it is Auld and Kesler. Next year one of the young players to be brought on the team surely must be Bourdon. I see him as being ahead of all the defensive prospects, including Bieksa.

Old
10-22-2005, 04:26 PM
supermoon

I don't think anybody needs to worry about Bourdon banging around for an 82 game schedule. This guy is a massive wrecking ball.

Just look at his given hits statistic. To say the least it is freakn incredible, given the number of games he's played compared to everybody else.

http://www.lhjmq.qc.ca/lang_en/index...t_by_mode=DESC

Old
10-22-2005, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcross
I don't think anybody needs to worry about Bourdon banging around for an 82 game schedule. This guy is a massive wrecking ball.

Just look at his given hits statistic. To say the least it is freakn incredible, given the number of games he's played compared to everybody else.

http://www.lhjmq.qc.ca/lang_en/index...t_by_mode=DESC
Yeah, Luc's climbed the charts since my hits report on him a while ago. As predicted, his hits per game average has dropped, from 7.2 to 6.4. But considering that the next big-hitter D in the whole league is at 3.1--the Nuke is twice the wrecking ball that his closest competition is. The other guy has 47 hits to Luc's 45. But if Luc had played 15 games instead of just 7, at his current average he'd have 96 hits already.

The other stat that JUMPS out is his rising number of points per game. His average to date--1.285--is basically tied with Carle's 1.266 for the league lead in points per game by a D. Carle averages 1 hit per game to Luc's current 6.4. It's almost needless to say that no D in the Q even remotely approaches Bourdon's combination of hitting and scoring abilities.

Closed Thread