HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you guys have pulled the trigger on the Lecavalier trade?

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2005, 04:47 PM
bhj

vCash: 500
Would you guys have pulled the trigger on the Lecavalier trade?

I'm just wondering, a few years ago, there were rumors that Burke wanted to Cassel and another player for Lecavalier, but the Lightening rejected the proposal and asked for
Morrison and Ohlund in return.

I'm just wondering if you guys would have pulled the trigger on the trade?

Personally, i would have rejected the trade because Ohlund is a rock at defense, and Morrison is solid at both end of the ice. It's delimma because i wonder what kind of damage would have done to this line

Bert. Lecavalier Nazzy

What is your take on it?

Old
10-21-2005, 04:51 PM
clay

I really don't think that rumour was real, considering that Lecavlier was considered by some to be the next Lemieux, but if it was, i still wouldn't have taken it because of Ohlund in particular, and Morrison is a very sold 1st line centre.

Old
10-21-2005, 04:57 PM
The Produce Man
Master of Puppets

As big a fan I am of Lecavalier, we would be a worse team adding him and subtracting Ohlund and Morrison.

Old
10-21-2005, 04:57 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhj
I'm just wondering, a few years ago, there were rumors that Burke wanted to Cassel and another player for Lecavalier, but the Lightening rejected the proposal and asked for

Personally, i would have rejected the trade because Ohlund is a rock at defense, and Morrison is solid at both end of the ice. It's delimma because i wonder what kind of damage would have done to this line

Bert. Lecavalier Nazzy

What is your take on it?
at the time I might have been more inclined to pull the trigger... in hindsight it's better for the canucks they didn't.

We couldn't afford that top line.... with a $39mill payroll, having Naslund and Bertuzzi with Morrison and Ohlund is better for this team.

Ohlund is one of the most important players to this team... and having a top line, in today's NHL, you can't have 3 players making that kind of money tied up to one line... it's hard enough having Naslund and Bertuzzi's contract alone.

It's really not that different for the Lightning right now either... by committing to Lecavalier and St. Louis as they did, it likely means that they won't be able to give Richards what he will command (and still ice a competitive overall team). They basically chose Lecavalier long term over Richards... if they had made that trade it'd be a lot easier right now for them to keep Richards as their #1, with Morrison as their #2... and Ohlund as their #1 dman as well.

Old
10-21-2005, 05:01 PM
bure94

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhj

Bert. Lecavalier Nazzy

What is your take on it?

Lecavalier >>>> Morrison.
Ohlund >>> any defenseman on the Lightning or ufa's we could realistically afford in between.

Ohlund is the rock we need on defense. Maybe Jovo+Mo for LeCav yeah I'd do that.

Old
10-21-2005, 07:05 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay
Morrison is a very sold 1st line centre.
Morrison is a 2nd line centre on 25 teams in the league - 1st on about 5, including ours unfortunatly.

Old
10-21-2005, 07:38 PM
F A N

I think TB thought hard about trading Lecavalier but obviously hesistant as you never want to trade a player like that. But if we were able to sign him to a long-term contract, yes I would have pulled the deal with hindsight or not. Lecavalier is definitely a player you can build around. Lecavalier is an upgrade over Morrison. With Lecavalier, we wouldn't need Morrison. The loss of Ohlund would hurt, but we can easily find a replacement that is just as solid as Ohlund defensively but without the offensive talent. Or a guy who can make a bigger offensive contribution but not as defensively solid as Ohlund. Or just a poor man's Ohlund. Ie. we will make do.

Old
10-21-2005, 08:11 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie
I think TB thought hard about trading Lecavalier but obviously hesistant as you never want to trade a player like that. But if we were able to sign him to a long-term contract, yes I would have pulled the deal with hindsight or not. Lecavalier is definitely a player you can build around. Lecavalier is an upgrade over Morrison. With Lecavalier, we wouldn't need Morrison. The loss of Ohlund would hurt, but we can easily find a replacement that is just as solid as Ohlund defensively but without the offensive talent. Or a guy who can make a bigger offensive contribution but not as defensively solid as Ohlund. Or just a poor man's Ohlund. Ie. we will make do.
Lecavalier's salary = Morrison's + Ohlund's salaries.

At best we'd replace Ohlund with a player like Doig or a rookie like Bieksa and be forced to drop Park or Carter for Bouck. Bad.

Old
10-21-2005, 08:39 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi
Morrison is a 2nd line centre on 25 teams in the league - 1st on about 5, including ours unfortunatly.
25 teams have a better center than Morrison? Don't think so. Morrison would easily be the 1st line center on Calgary, Chicago, Columbus, Edmonton, Florida, Minnesota, Nashville and Washington and would likely be the 1st line center on Atlanta, Carolina,Buffalo, NY Rangers and Phoenix. Unfortunately, most of those teams are non-playoff clubs, but I'd say Morrison is a middle of the pack 1st line center, not a 2nd line center playing in a 1st line role like you are suggesting.

Old
10-21-2005, 08:56 PM
JonathanTwinkleToews
is a Canuck fan.

I thought it involved the Sedins? Meh, all these trade rumours.

Old
10-21-2005, 08:57 PM
QuickDynamite

I wouldn't do that. Ohlund is the anchor of our defense.

Old
10-21-2005, 10:05 PM
Cupless
Wants new username

There's not many players in the league that I would trade Ohlund away for even up, let alone adding Morrison to the package.

When you get a stud defenseman who can be the best defensive player on your team and is still an offensive threat and physical presence you don't let it go. A rounded player like that will win you more playoff games than a star scoring center.

Old
10-21-2005, 10:39 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhj

Bert. Lecavalier Nazzy

What is your take on it?
I was living in Florida at the time of the rumours and from what I gathered the Tampa was not realy interested in trading Vince enless they got alot

The only source I had with the tampa group(worked low level in the organization) and he suggested that the only way the deal would have gotten done is if the nucks tossed the twins, Ohland and Morrison in. A few teams beside the nucks called and no one would meet the asking price--which turned out to be a good thing

Old
10-21-2005, 10:40 PM
Avery4Byng*

No thanks, Ohlund and Morrison are fine.

Old
10-21-2005, 10:45 PM
ruutu37

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi

wrong.
name 25.

Old
10-22-2005, 12:55 AM
Yammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhj

Hmmm. On one hand it is fair value. On the other hand, it concentrates a lot of salary in a key player, and I think if anything the Canucks are doing too much of that.

On the balance, I think you say the team with the best player wins that trade, and Lecavalier is the best of them. So, yes.

Old
10-22-2005, 12:57 AM
Yammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapel113x
I wouldn't do that. Ohlund is the anchor of our defense.
Yes, now. But three years ago, or whenever, he didn't have the value because we did not know if he was going to come all the way back from the eye injury. He still doesn't have full vision on one side.

Old
10-22-2005, 01:00 AM
Yammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2
Lecavalier's salary = Morrison's + Ohlund's salaries.

At best we'd replace Ohlund with a player like Doig or a rookie like Bieksa and be forced to drop Park or Carter for Bouck. Bad.
That's pretty far from "at best." I cannot think of too many teams that win Cups without a true #1 center. New Jersey with Arnott (who was better then, and had the size and reach of your prototypical top pivot).

No, if you have Lecavalier then you have other salary options. For example from this year, the team could have spent Naslund money on Scott Niedermeyer. It is about asset building.

Obviously the Canucks are not hurting because of this non-trade, of course.

Old
10-22-2005, 01:26 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yammer
That's pretty far from "at best." I cannot think of too many teams that win Cups without a true #1 center. New Jersey with Arnott (who was better then, and had the size and reach of your prototypical top pivot).
See, generally speaking there are three keys.

1. Ace goaltender
2. Legit #1 center
3. Top defensive d-man.

And generally speaking a team needs 2 out of three.

So, in essence, we'd be losing one key to gain another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruutu37
wrong.
name 25.
While it is exaduration. Morrison is not the type of #1 that wins cups. His middle of the road, average. Just like Cloutier really. And we have no idea what Morrison would be at this point in his career if seperated from Naslund.

10-22-2005, 01:34 AM
QuickDynamite

Quote:
Yes, now. But three years ago, or whenever, he didn't have the value because we did not know if he was going to come all the way back from the eye injury. He still doesn't have full vision on one side.
He was still an excellent defenseman, the eye injury wasn't hurting his on ice play. At that point Lecavalier had done pretty much nothing in the NHL either and was considered to be a disapointment. I remember hearing his name in trade rumours more than once back then.

Old
10-22-2005, 01:41 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Quote:

No, if you have Lecavalier then you have other salary options. For example from this year, the team could have spent Naslund money on Scott Niedermeyer. It is about asset building.

Obviously the Canucks are not hurting because of this non-trade, of course.
If you are going to dump Naslund for FA why not just get a FA centre and keep Ohlund?

Old
10-22-2005, 02:39 AM
bhj

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2
If you are going to dump Naslund for FA why not just get a FA centre and keep Ohlund?
Maybe because Vinny is like 7 years younger than Nazzy?

but i mean losing Ohlund would be a huge loss

Old
10-22-2005, 04:27 AM
bure94

After putting some thought into it, I think maybe now would be the best time to trade Mo' for a top center. Brendan's not the best offensively and Naslund and Bertuzzi are now putting effort into backchecking unlike many seasons ago. So Mo covering for them isn't such a big deal.

Obviously Lecav isn't on the block, I don't know what top flight Center we could parlay from Morrison. Jokinen ?

Old
10-22-2005, 04:44 AM
QuickDynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bure94
After putting some thought into it, I think maybe now would be the best time to trade Mo' for a top center. Brendan's not the best offensively and Naslund and Bertuzzi are now putting effort into backchecking unlike many seasons ago. So Mo covering for them isn't such a big deal.

Obviously Lecav isn't on the block, I don't know what top flight Center we could parlay from Morrison. Jokinen ?
I think our best bet would be to package our draft picks and trade up for a top 5 pick this season and draft a #1 Centre (I believe we have a 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 4th). If the Canucks got a true #1 NHL ready Centre we'd run into alot of cap problems.

If the Canucks stink it up in the playoffs again Nonis should probably trade away Morrison, Cloutier possibly trade Bertuzzi and possibly make a coaching change just to shake up the team and build around Sedins, Jovo, Naslund, Ohlund much like the Senators have done the past few years by getting rid of guys like Bonk, Lalime, Hossa etc.

Old
10-22-2005, 04:47 AM
CaptNukie83

Problem is $$$.
especially since new CBA, spending is tight.
but would i have pulled trigger then(at the time of speculation/rumour before new cba)? of course!
but right now, there is cap and all, mo and ohlund are better fits economically.

Closed Thread