HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you guys have pulled the trigger on the Lecavalier trade?

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2005, 04:58 AM
bure94

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapel113x
I think our best bet would be to package our draft picks and trade up for a top 5 pick this season and draft a #1 Centre (I believe we have a 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 4th). If the Canucks got a true #1 NHL ready Centre we'd run into alot of cap problems.

If the Canucks stink it up in the playoffs again Nonis should probably trade away Morrison, Cloutier possibly trade Bertuzzi and possibly make a coaching change just to shake up the team and build around Sedins, Jovo, Naslund, Ohlund much like the Senators have done the past few years by getting rid of guys like Bonk, Lalime, Hossa etc.
Then our #1 center wont' have any wingers of note to play with.

If we can't find a top flight center we roll with Morisson.

Old
10-22-2005, 05:15 AM
F A N

Ohlund, Jovo, Aucoin, Cullimore, McCabe, Sopel, and Allen. Among this group, who would you consider a legit top 4 Dman? Who would be okay on a top pairing?

Nedved, Peca, Morrison, Henrik Sedin, Ronning, Larionov (Canuck days), Messier (Canuck days).
Among this group, who would you consider a legit 2nd line center? Who would be okay on the top line?

How would you compare the quality of the defensive group to the quality of the second group?

Personally, I think the players in the defensive group are legit top 4 Dmen (even Sopel) while the players in the forward group are capable of centering the second line on most teams; Sedin and Allen projected to get there if not already there.

But I wouldn't say any of the forwards are keepers on our first line. Ie. I would be looking at an upgrade. But I would be happy to have Jovo, Ohlund, and Aucoin on my top pairing. They are elite or near elite and really don't need to be replaced as it'll be pretty much a sideways movement. This has something to do with their young age as well of course. Cullimore and McCabe are top pairing guys on some teams but definitely in top 4 on any team.

So what's my point? If you add in Bourdon, we've had a lot more success acquiring/drafting/developing Dmen that come closer to approaching the quality of Ohlund or the very best in the league than we do centers approaching Lecavalier talent. Rankings are of course subjective, but when I look at the forward group, I see centers that I would not mind on our second line but have a lot of other guys I want on our first line, but when I look at the defensive group, there aren't too many guys I would rather have than Ohlund, Jovo, and Aucoin.

Old
10-22-2005, 12:02 PM
struckmatch

We can't afford to lose Mattias Ohlund and not have a replacement for his minutes, and with his talent on the backend. He's too important to this team.

Old
10-22-2005, 02:59 PM
QuickDynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bure94
Then our #1 center wont' have any wingers of note to play with.

If we can't find a top flight center we roll with Morisson.
Assuming we traded all those guys, we'd be getting alot of prospects/picks/cheaper younger players in return and would be saving alot of cap space for either trades or UFA signings.

Naslund is without a doubt the cornerstone of this franchise. I think Park is showing he is a capable 2nd line player (think Sanderson, but better defensively and more versatile). The Sedins given the ice-time are excellent 2nd liners. Our defense is really shaping up and if Nonis could somehow fit Bourdon, Ohlund, Jovo, Salo, Allen in the same core we'd have the best defense in the NHL. Auld continues to impress me and we've got lots of goaltending prospects, Cloutier is pretty overpaid now compared to other goaltenders at his level and I don't think he's as valuable to this team as people believe.

This is the year to draft and/or trade for a Top offensive winger or centre with all the draft picks we have. I like the Jokinen suggestion, i've always been a fan of his but he'd probably come at a high price.

I guess I wouldn't be disapointed with Morrison like you said. IMO he's been our best playoff performer the past 3-4 years. But the Canucks are at the point if they don't start getting it done they could use some changes.

Closed Thread