HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patience My Friends.... Patience

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2005, 07:21 PM
Park #2

vCash: 500
Patience My Friends.... Patience

As I read through many posts, the one apparent attribute in each post is an incredible amount of impatience... I understand that as long suffering fans, folks are eager to see rapid improvement - but here area few thing to keep in mind:

1) Perspective: The Rangers will not win their division, and would be a longshot to make the playoffs. I'm not saying making the playoffs WILL not happen, but this is a top heavy team - one that is prone to some injuries at that - so it will be difficult. The good sign is that the team is working harder than it has - well, since their Stanley Cup season - and frankly probably harder. For all of the bashing, Sather/Maloney/Renney have built this team with specific attributes in mind - and that is showing.

2) Goaltending: Lundy has looked very good - but please remember that he is not used to the rigors of the NHL game. He is not an elite goaltender yet - he is a very good developing goaltender. There is no reason for him to play every night - he will burn out and worse, open himself to injury. Kevin Weeks is far from Glen Hall, but he is a decent NHL netminder that is playing himself back into game shape. Remember, for all the changes made to the NHL, goaltenders have perhaps the most adjustment. Pads are smaller, and the defensive (or offensive) zones are bigger - which plays games with goalies used to different angles. Lundy is used a bit more used to this type of game than other netminders. Goalies like Brodeur, Kolzig, Kippers, are all adjustingback. There is no need to jump on Weeks so soon. He is a good stopgap for Lundy to develop with - and one who could carry a workload when needed. He is not in the long range plans (2 plus years) assuming Montoya can develop. (While I mention Montoya - please stop even worrying about him at this point. He should not be called up, and should be left to develop in the AHL. He is 20, and there is not a need or rush for him to be in New York).

3) Roster Moves: Again, I understand fan eagerness. But to get so upset (I saw someone calling for Renney's firing) because a 3rd or 4th liner is substituted out for a game is irrational. If Moore sits for a game, so be it. It will only help the development of a guy like Taffe/Prucha or whomever is taking his place. It isn't like Renney is substituing a 35 year old. Remember - these guys will need to last over the rigors of a full NHL season - and most (Prucha, Moore, Hossa, Taffe, Betts, Kondrats, Rosival) are not used to that. This is a DEVELOPMENTAL year. If success in the standings comes with that, its icing. But the cake is development and player progression.

4) Renney is the right coach at the right time. I posted this 2 years ago when he was getting bashed. Renney is perfectly suited for player development. Watch his interaction with the players. Listen to his comments. OF COURSE HE SAID WEEKS IS THE #1 GOALTENDER. Does anyone believe annointing a foreign rookie goalie in New York the number one goaltender would be good for his development? It could RUIN him forever. Weeks can take that status and have nothingto lose - as the Rangers can. Let Lundy play 35-40 games this year and adjust. It will pay off in the end.

5) Hartford: Playing in the AHL to adjust for a year is a GOOD THING for many players. Nigel Dawes... Can I compare development to say, Brian Gionta? He needs to be there.

Folks, be happy that the team is working hard and developing chemistry and DEVELOPING. If this can happen for 2-3 years, the Rangers will finally establish themselves a good organization. If not, it will be back to the ways of the past. Perspective folks. Perspective.

Old
10-21-2005, 07:28 PM
NYR fan 2

Send a message via AIM to NYR fan 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park #2
As I read through many posts, the one apparent attribute in each post is an incredible amount of impatience... I understand that as long suffering fans, folks are eager to see rapid improvement - but here area few thing to keep in mind:

1) Perspective: The Rangers will not win their division, and would be a longshot to make the playoffs. I'm not saying making the playoffs WILL not happen, but this is a top heavy team - one that is prone to some injuries at that - so it will be difficult. The good sign is that the team is working harder than it has - well, since their Stanley Cup season - and frankly probably harder. For all of the bashing, Sather/Maloney/Renney have built this team with specific attributes in mind - and that is showing.

2) Goaltending: Lundy has looked very good - but please remember that he is not used to the rigors of the NHL game. He is not an elite goaltender yet - he is a very good developing goaltender. There is no reason for him to play every night - he will burn out and worse, open himself to injury. Kevin Weeks is far from Glen Hall, but he is a decent NHL netminder that is playing himself back into game shape. Remember, for all the changes made to the NHL, goaltenders have perhaps the most adjustment. Pads are smaller, and the defensive (or offensive) zones are bigger - which plays games with goalies used to different angles. Lundy is used a bit more used to this type of game than other netminders. Goalies like Brodeur, Kolzig, Kippers, are all adjustingback. There is no need to jump on Weeks so soon. He is a good stopgap for Lundy to develop with - and one who could carry a workload when needed. He is not in the long range plans (2 plus years) assuming Montoya can develop. (While I mention Montoya - please stop even worrying about him at this point. He should not be called up, and should be left to develop in the AHL. He is 20, and there is not a need or rush for him to be in New York).

3) Roster Moves: Again, I understand fan eagerness. But to get so upset (I saw someone calling for Renney's firing) because a 3rd or 4th liner is substituted out for a game is irrational. If Moore sits for a game, so be it. It will only help the development of a guy like Taffe/Prucha or whomever is taking his place. It isn't like Renney is substituing a 35 year old. Remember - these guys will need to last over the rigors of a full NHL season - and most (Prucha, Moore, Hossa, Taffe, Betts, Kondrats, Rosival) are not used to that. This is a DEVELOPMENTAL year. If success in the standings comes with that, its icing. But the cake is development and player progression.

4) Renney is the right coach at the right time. I posted this 2 years ago when he was getting bashed. Renney is perfectly suited for player development. Watch his interaction with the players. Listen to his comments. OF COURSE HE SAID WEEKS IS THE #1 GOALTENDER. Does anyone believe annointing a foreign rookie goalie in New York the number one goaltender would be good for his development? It could RUIN him forever. Weeks can take that status and have nothingto lose - as the Rangers can. Let Lundy play 35-40 games this year and adjust. It will pay off in the end.

5) Hartford: Playing in the AHL to adjust for a year is a GOOD THING for many players. Nigel Dawes... Can I compare development to say, Brian Gionta? He needs to be there.

Folks, be happy that the team is working hard and developing chemistry and DEVELOPING. If this can happen for 2-3 years, the Rangers will finally establish themselves a good organization. If not, it will be back to the ways of the past. Perspective folks. Perspective.

1 of the best posts i've read so far and i agree on everything and believe it all is true

Old
10-21-2005, 07:29 PM
Barnaby

The voice of reason! I thank you

Old
10-21-2005, 07:54 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park #2
This is a DEVELOPMENTAL year. If success in the standings comes with that, its icing. But the cake is development and player progression.

that says it all right there. Too many people have excessive expectations now that we have started off fast. I'm waiting to see someone soon bark out trading youngsters for veterans to bolster our roster for a playoff push.

I think the same would have happened if we would have fallen in the beginning, many calling for the heads of management. People just have to let the year play out. We will see a BIG jump in our development NEXT YEAR. This years players will be more experienced, confident and supplemented with more young players competiting for jobs.

Old
10-21-2005, 11:21 PM
Edge

Boy you have been away from a while haven't you?

This has been a downward spiral for a while now. A lot of over reactions for a lot of different subjects.

Honestly it's getting to the point where I've been thinking about taking a break from these boards.

Somedays I feel like I am trying to have a conversation in a junior high school PE class.

Old
10-21-2005, 11:30 PM
broadwayblue

i agree Edge. that and the recent pop ups issue have made me consider taking some time off. but unfortunately that's the nature of forums like these. in general they are slanted towards negativity and often posters lack the maturity necessary to carry on rational discussion. but, fortunately there are many rational thinking people here...and i've learned over the years to just stay away from most of the unintelligible rants of 14 year olds.

as far as the Rangers go i think Park got it right on. let's just enjoy watching this team give it a good effort every night and just see what happens. if they exceed expectations it will be a bonus.

Old
10-21-2005, 11:32 PM
Edge

It just seems like it's getting worse and worse.

Like every once in a while we get a wave of younger crowds that feel like they've got something to prove. And the ball breaking has just gotten out of hand.

Personally I am thinking we might even need an additional Mod, because frankly Melrose and company have their hands full as it is.

Old
10-22-2005, 12:51 AM
Pizza

Great post #2.

Old
10-22-2005, 01:14 AM
JCProdigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
It just seems like it's getting worse and worse.

Like every once in a while we get a wave of younger crowds that feel like they've got something to prove. And the ball breaking has just gotten out of hand.

Personally I am thinking we might even need an additional Mod, because frankly Melrose and company have their hands full as it is.
I also think (more like hoping) that it has to do with hockey being away for a year so overanalysis and overreacting could just be due to such a long layoff. Also what the org has gone through and the position it is in right now lends to these very drastic views.

The way I've been dealing with it is I just look at the thread topic and I usually can tell whether I want to even look inside. Even for the ones I do click on I usually know after the first couple of posts whether or not its worth reading. Although I know its hard for you not to "discuss" the drama that some have put out there.

BTW Good objective post Park, basically reiterating what some of us have been saying for the past few months.

Old
10-22-2005, 01:30 AM
eco's bones

A great post by Park but also an excellent one by JC. I think it's very understandable after the lockout. Consider also the almost complete changeover in the roster from the beginning of the last season that was actually played. The only players left that made the team from 2003-04 are Kaspar, Rucinsky and Poti. Also Purinton if you want to count him. It's not only that hockey's back but our team is for all intents and purposes practically new to us and a good many of them are rookies or second year men or players who have not until now anyway have taken that final step to establish themselves. So it is like watching 20 new players when in the past we'd have an old and established team with little player movement just going through the motions. Now there is a lot more different about the team and the league than ever. And it has been fun for me anyway.

Last edited by eco's bones: 10-22-2005 at 01:31 AM. Reason: change word
Old
10-22-2005, 01:33 AM
Edge

I'm mixed actually.

On the one hand I'm thrilled to see the Rangers developing and hopefully building.

On the other hand, as I said in another post, this season just feels "off" to me. I'm having a hard time getting back into the NHL the way it. Just feels too cold and scientific to me.

Old
10-22-2005, 05:04 AM
RushingRocket

Send a message via AIM to RushingRocket Send a message via Yahoo to RushingRocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Boy you have been away from a while haven't you?

This has been a downward spiral for a while now. A lot of over reactions for a lot of different subjects.

Honestly it's getting to the point where I've been thinking about taking a break from these boards.

Somedays I feel like I am trying to have a conversation in a junior high school PE class.
Agreed, good to see Park back, as his and yours (Edge) are the posts I always jump to read.

I think the problem is that there are too many people that should be on this board as lurkers instead of talkers. The conversations are really watered down, but intelligent discussion is still there.

4-5 years ago when I started lurking here it was the same 10-15 guys always posting, and just by reading relatively often you knew exactly who was who and what their typical slant/take was, and who to take most seriously. I can't keep track of the influx of new guys, its great to see the interest, I just don't see the contribution to the discussion, I still read/enjoy the same people I did when I first started reading here, and there are 10x as many people posting.

Old
10-22-2005, 07:06 AM
jratelle19

Very good analysis, Park.

Rebuilding a hockey team into a quality hockey team takes time, and let's face it, we've only been at it really since the spring of 2004 when the firesale began. The ability for young players to play in the AHL and in Europe during the lockout helped the development of our prospects. But they are nowhere near the kind of team they are striving to become. Are they showing good signs in their progress? Of course. Are they producing more than we expected? Yes. Let's just sit back and enjoy it, and if frustration should set in if we lose a hard-fought game, try to remember the last 8 years of overpriced fatcat veterans who showed little or no effort night after night. Believe me, I have not forgotten.

Old
10-22-2005, 08:20 AM
Davisian

Thanks for that nice bit of condesencion, bathed in the glory of the obvious..

I think you're harping on a select few viewpoints, and assigning them to the majority. sure they may be louder, but the impatient, unreasobale one's do not speak for all, nor most..

Most here still don't trust, nor like Sather, but enjoy the work Renney has done. We enjoy the effort and hard work this team has shown, and while we don't expect them to stay on top of the Atlantic all season long, we appreciate the direction they're headed in.

Old
10-22-2005, 08:25 AM
BringBackNeilSmith

Just want to add my own support for the original post and the other sentiment expressed here, although I'm a newcomer. The kid stuff is wearying and depressing and the reason I don't tend to last long in these environments. Lazy writing reflects lazier thinking... it's gotten to the point where if I don't see capitalization and punctuation I just move on. It's been a way more interesting and rewarding season so far than we had any call to expect... keeping a little perspective will make it more enjoyable.

Old
10-22-2005, 08:29 AM
Fletch

Park...

I don't totally disagree, and I for one, am patient. Patient in that I'd sacrafice wins to see kids develop. Playing in Hartford helps. Playing in the NHL, if one is ready for the NHL, helps more because the adjustment period is today, not next year. For instance, I thought a guy like Immonen was ready for the NHL - unfortunately solely based on about 5 preseason games. Thought he was smart, creative, good on faceoffs and a good skater. To me, if he isn't over-matched, he develops faster in the NHL - getting used to the NHL speed, size, and style of game. Hartford's a great transition, but the NHL too is a transition, and if this is a rebuild year, next year he should theoretically be out of that transition period and be hitting the ground running as an NHLer. What are they afraid of, that he'l outplay Rucchin between Hossa and Rucinsky.

Another patience point was I was impatient to see Prucha - as I could not understand why he was not playing, and I am impatient to see him play more than 7 minutes per game. It's a long season, but what's the worse that can happen by seeing Prucha play 13 minutes in a game for five games? Losses? A player that's a better scorer that Straka and Rucinsky?

I personally had no opinion on Renney - aside from expressing skepticism because I knew little of him as a coach - he wasn't much of a coach in his month+ stint with the Rangers (an unfair time period to judge him) and prior to that it was like 6 or 7 or 8 years since he last coached - what's to judge?

I agree about where the Rangers will be at the end of the season. They'll be fighting for the 7-10 spot, I believe. Depending on injuries, to the Rangers or the competition, and the outcome of key '4-point' games, the Rangers do have a playoff shot, just as much as they have a shot at #10.

Old
10-22-2005, 09:11 AM
Park #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
I don't totally disagree, and I for one, am patient. Patient in that I'd sacrafice wins to see kids develop. Playing in Hartford helps. Playing in the NHL, if one is ready for the NHL, helps more because the adjustment period is today, not next year. For instance, I thought a guy like Immonen was ready for the NHL - unfortunately solely based on about 5 preseason games. Thought he was smart, creative, good on faceoffs and a good skater. To me, if he isn't over-matched, he develops faster in the NHL - getting used to the NHL speed, size, and style of game. Hartford's a great transition, but the NHL too is a transition, and if this is a rebuild year, next year he should theoretically be out of that transition period and be hitting the ground running as an NHLer. What are they afraid of, that he'l outplay Rucchin between Hossa and Rucinsky.

Another patience point was I was impatient to see Prucha - as I could not understand why he was not playing, and I am impatient to see him play more than 7 minutes per game. It's a long season, but what's the worse that can happen by seeing Prucha play 13 minutes in a game for five games? Losses? A player that's a better scorer that Straka and Rucinsky?

I personally had no opinion on Renney - aside from expressing skepticism because I knew little of him as a coach - he wasn't much of a coach in his month+ stint with the Rangers (an unfair time period to judge him) and prior to that it was like 6 or 7 or 8 years since he last coached - what's to judge?

I agree about where the Rangers will be at the end of the season. They'll be fighting for the 7-10 spot, I believe. Depending on injuries, to the Rangers or the competition, and the outcome of key '4-point' games, the Rangers do have a playoff shot, just as much as they have a shot at #10.
Some of your points are really just bizarre. You cannot field a team of 25 rookies - what will happen then is you will lose 60 games and have a demoralized team. Immonen again is a EUROPEAN player who is not used to the rigors of an NHL game. Let him adjust, what is your rush? Rucchin is a guy who sets agreat example for younger players - he works hard, he gives his body, he's got a great attitude, and he can take the rookies under his wing on and off the ice - Immonen cannot do that. Rucchin will also score 20 goals and be a somewhat valuable player in the process. Immonen would not likely have outplayed him - he and Rucchin are two different types of player, and they offer totally different skill sets.

Prucha - whom i like and posted would make the roster back in 2003 - is in a perfect position. Renney is running four lines.... If you look, no forward is getting 22-23 minutes. Jagr gets about 18.5 in regulation (obviously depending on the power play). Prucha is young and small. Let him travel with the team, get used to and 82 games schedule andget comfortable. Prucha, at his size, needs to learn to not set himself up for the big hit - because he will get himself killed. Some nights he'll play 7 minutes, others 12-15,but he's here. He's getting power play time. He is DEVELOPING. To say that at this point, he's "a better scorer thanStraka or Rucinsky" is rather silly. They are proven 20-30 goal scorers in the NHL. Prucha is young player. Stop assigning so much value to these players, rather give them time to achieve it. On this team, keeping Prucha on the roster and getting him adjusted to the NHL and North America will only pay dividends in the end. This is not a case of stunting his growth.

On renney, what's to judge? Well, before you do JUDGE someone, perhaps you should research their background a little bit. Tom Renney has a deep background in working with young players. You basically made my point - before rushing to conclusion after watching Renney duringa 20 game period with a lame duck team in March 2003 - research his background a bit.

Old
10-22-2005, 09:31 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Some fans have no patience.Yesterday,I read in the Rangers game thread that Tom Renney isn't the answer or they were not sold on Renney.It's the talk show/ internet menality

Old
10-22-2005, 09:33 AM
RANGERDIEHARD

Very good post P2. I am especially pleased with the way Renney has handled the club so far and the way the players have responded to him, so far it looks like they have bought - in to his system. I am a big believer that coaching is crucial and over the past few years this club has had terrible coaching which was the biggest reason for our failures. The benching of Poti and Lundmark so early in the season set the tone for everyone else and made a statement that there will be no tolerance for soft play, everyone must work hard every shift! I am very surprised of the product on the ice right now and now matter how impatient people may be, I'm sure that the team has overachieved so far in all of our minds.

Old
10-22-2005, 09:35 AM
natureboy*

I have NO PATIENCE for an organization that lets a kid with talent like Prucha only play 5 minutes a game. This kid sacrifices his body and GETS in front of the net (it even paid off on his tying goal wed.) but yet somehow on plays a few shifts a game.

Old
10-22-2005, 09:37 AM
Fletch

Bizarre?

never heard that before.

Let's start with the easy...Jagr has had less than 18.5 minutes of ice time twice, in a 5-1 game and a 4-0 game. I call those outliers. Every other game in which he played he's had greater than 20 minutes, including 22, 23, 24 and 25 minutes - granted those games included OT, but OT's only 5 minutes and if he played 1/2 the OT, he's still getting more than 20 minutes in regulation. I know you said depending on the PP, but there's been a good deal of PP in every game, so we might as well use the actual numbers.

Second, never said anything about fielding 'a team' of 25 year olds. I think I mentioned two. One was Prucha, and one was Immonen. And there's no rush. He played in preseason, he looked as though he can play the NHL game, why not give him the chance? Is giving a chance rushing, especially considering the second line seems mostly to struggle at even strength and could use a playmaker and fast skater? If it doesn't work out, he goes back to Hartford. That's partly what it's there for and why not utilize that luxury?

On Prucha - no need to capitalize 'developing' as I'm not an idiot. I understand and can read. I'd like to see him get more time. He's had 6-8 minutes in four games, I believe, and 11-13 in two games (games in which he played with Jagr). He somehow has managed two goals in his short time. He's deserved some additional ice time, I believe, both at even strength and on the PP. I understand it's a long haul and never said he should be getting 20 minutes per night so he'd be worn out by December - heck - sometimes I mention Moore's minutes as I do understand his tendency to wear down - so I understand and respect that concept. Prucha, I thought, had a very good preseason. He's shown an ability to get involved and get chances. I'd just like to see a bit more of him.

Who rushed into a conclusion on Renney? I thought I was pretty clear that I haven't formed a real opinion because I didn't know much about him and he hadn't coached in a while - people like that, I start out skeptical - that's not concluding as it's a dynamic opinion which changes as I get to know him better. Here's again what I said about Renney: 'I personally had no opinion on Renney - aside from expressing skepticism because I knew little of him as a coach - he wasn't much of a coach in his month+ stint with the Rangers (an unfair time period to judge him) and prior to that it was like 6 or 7 or 8 years since he last coached - what's to judge?'. I should've said who am I to judge, perhaps, to be more clear.

Old
10-22-2005, 09:38 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian
I think you're harping on a select few viewpoints, and assigning them to the majority. sure they may be louder, but the impatient, unreasobale one's do not speak for all, nor most..
I do too.

No offense Park, but it always bugs when someone comes out of the woodwork after months without a peep, scans the top 20 threads and then feels it's appropriate to categorize the entire community based on what they've read. If there's one thing this place doesn't have, it's a consenus of opinion and none of the 'observations' you've made apply to me, or Davisian, or Fletch, or Edge, or BringBackNeilSmith, or many of the regular contributors here.

That said, nice to see you back again.

Old
10-22-2005, 09:58 AM
RANGERDIEHARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
never heard that before.

Let's start with the easy...Jagr has had less than 18.5 minutes of ice time twice, in a 5-1 game and a 4-0 game. I call those outliers. Every other game in which he played he's had greater than 20 minutes, including 22, 23, 24 and 25 minutes - granted those games included OT, but OT's only 5 minutes and if he played 1/2 the OT, he's still getting more than 20 minutes in regulation. I know you said depending on the PP, but there's been a good deal of PP in every game, so we might as well use the actual numbers.

Second, never said anything about fielding 'a team' of 25 year olds. I think I mentioned two. One was Prucha, and one was Immonen. And there's no rush. He played in preseason, he looked as though he can play the NHL game, why not give him the chance? Is giving a chance rushing, especially considering the second line seems mostly to struggle at even strength and could use a playmaker and fast skater? If it doesn't work out, he goes back to Hartford. That's partly what it's there for and why not utilize that luxury?

On Prucha - no need to capitalize 'developing' as I'm not an idiot. I understand and can read. I'd like to see him get more time. He's had 6-8 minutes in four games, I believe, and 11-13 in two games (games in which he played with Jagr). He somehow has managed two goals in his short time. He's deserved some additional ice time, I believe, both at even strength and on the PP. I understand it's a long haul and never said he should be getting 20 minutes per night so he'd be worn out by December - heck - sometimes I mention Moore's minutes as I do understand his tendency to wear down - so I understand and respect that concept. Prucha, I thought, had a very good preseason. He's shown an ability to get involved and get chances. I'd just like to see a bit more of him.

Who rushed into a conclusion on Renney? I thought I was pretty clear that I haven't formed a real opinion because I didn't know much about him and he hadn't coached in a while - people like that, I start out skeptical - that's not concluding as it's a dynamic opinion which changes as I get to know him better. Here's again what I said about Renney: 'I personally had no opinion on Renney - aside from expressing skepticism because I knew little of him as a coach - he wasn't much of a coach in his month+ stint with the Rangers (an unfair time period to judge him) and prior to that it was like 6 or 7 or 8 years since he last coached - what's to judge?'. I should've said who am I to judge, perhaps, to be more clear.
It's not just Jagr that is getting tons of ice time, it's the whole top line. The amount of PP's does have a lot to do with it and when there is a TV timeout it gives the first line time to get ready and go out again. I think Prucha should get some more ice time too but where do we put him? With Rucchin possibly out how about skating a second line with Straka in the middle flanked by Hossa and Prucha?

Old
10-22-2005, 10:26 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
I do too.

No offense Park, but it always bugs when someone comes out of the woodwork after months without a peep, scans the top 20 threads and then feels it's appropriate to categorize the entire community based on what they've read. If there's one thing this place doesn't have, it's a consenus of opinion and none of the 'observations' you've made apply to me, or Davisian, or Fletch, or Edge, or BringBackNeilSmith, or many of the regular contributors here.

That said, nice to see you back again.
Agreed everywhere. Guess that means that I also agree w/ D's & Fletch's points across the board.

Old
10-22-2005, 11:31 AM
JerseyRangers

Good post, Park#2

I agree with much of what you said but like Fletch I don't agree with how much ice time Jagr is getting and how little we are using Prucha. I said it in preseason and I'll continue to say it - Prucha should be playing on the first two lines and getting 12 to 15 minutes a game. For years the Rangers have misused their youth. How come Carter is playing on the first line in Philly? Certainly he is a more high profile prospect but so far he hasn't set the world on fire. Lets throw Prucha out there for 5 or 6 games and see what he does. Also, lets give Hossa someone other than Rucchin to play with. Rucchin hasn't shown anything yet this season. He's one of the guys that I believe Renney has really misused so far. Hossa has shown the ability to finish. Lets get him out there with someone that can set him up a little.

Finally, as to Henke I agree to a certain point. However bringing Weekes back against the Isles was a huge mistake. Don't forget in the first preseason game the Isles lit Weekes up pretty good. To put him back out there after sitting out 7 or 10 days was ill advised. Personally, barring anymore injuries I'd like to see Henke get about 30 to 35 starts this year. However, if after 10-15 games he's still playing like he has the first 4 games its gonna get tougher and tougher for Renney to not go to him. Could be a tough call!

Closed Thread