HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Post-Game Review OTT-TBL Oct.21

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2005, 09:08 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

vCash: 500
Post-Game Review OTT-TBL Oct.21

Thoughts on the Game:

-The ice was horrible with pucks rolling and bouncing all over the place, and players falling over for no discernable reason. Really slowed down the game.

-Ottawa showed a fair bit of rust in the early going, but that cleared up by the 2nd period. PK by Ottawa was awesome tonight. Some of the errant passes and such is probably due to the ice conditions.

-The linesmen and referees seemed to be in the way to an excessive degree.

-Tampa Bay seemed to be taking lessons from Atlanta with their cheap play in the 3rd. Artyukhin got away with murder and will get his someday. The team seemed to play better after Eaves got sent off to fix his bloody gash and were obviously hoping to score one for the kid, even with the game salted away. You could tell when you saw Spezza's 1st PP unit out there in the late going.

Bochenski-Spezza-Heatley

-I said before the game that this line had to gel again after 2 games of so-so play. They did tonight. Heatley was a force out there, seemingly involved in every scoring chance Ottawa could muster. Bochenski was skating very well out there, and was relatively solid. Spezza made a few great passes, as expected, however, I want him to shoot the puck on the PP if he has the shot, because the opposing team seems to expect that he's going to pass it. (especially on the 5 on 3)

Eaves-Smolinski-Alfredsson

-Havlat is the most exciting PKer but Alfredsson is probably the most effective. The guy is a machine, never giving up, seemingly always knowing the right play to make. Going to the net after Heatley's SH shot is just common sense and it paid off. Smolinski sucked again. I don't know how many times this guy gets chances and fails to bury them, Bo set him up great on the PP. Time to try Vermette or Fisher on the 2nd unit. Eaves was playing a really great game, solid PKing, good two-way play, good cycling down low. It's sad that he outplayed Smoke, but it's a fact.

Schaefer-Vermette-Neil

-Schaefer played his best game of the season and showed the crafty, nifty hands he's known for and the highlight-reel goals that seem to come to him. Defensively and offensively, calm, collected, terrific skating and puck position. Vermette was an absolute force defensively, I was EXTREMELY impressed. Too bad his goal was disallowed. Neil showed again that his hands are not a fluke. He plays a great two-way game and I'm the first who has to admit that I had this guy pegged completely wrong. I think he's using his head a lot more and it's paying off.

Varada-Kelly-McGrattan

-Not much to say about these guys, Kelly played decent and worked really hard to collect an icing on one shift. McGrattan and Varada were relatively unnoticeable, but that's not necessarily a bad thing on the 4th line.

Phillips-Chara

-Phillips had one of his weakest games of the season, with at least 3 or 4 errors. Luckily, Hasek was there to bail him out on every one. He did show remarkable poise in rushing the puck when required, and can really motor when he wants to. Chara showed why his stick is so lethal in terms of poking pucks loose, he got caught on a few hooks and holds but that's to be expected.

Redden-Volchenkov

-Redden got beat once, but otherwise played a flawless game. Volchenkov didn't seem as slow as usual out there, and was pretty solid as well. Good to see. He almost laid out a Tampa player at the end, but the guy managed to avoid it somewhat.

Mezsaros-Pothier

-Mezsaros plays TEXTBOOK defence. He can rub out guys along the boards as good as anyone, first using the stick, then moving in deftly with the body to pin. This guy could teach defencemen how to play in the new NHL. Pothier was surprisingly error-free with only a few errant passes and the like in the early going.

Hasek

-Made sure Tampa Bay never got back into the game once the lead was in Ottawa's hands. He truly is a remarkable goaltender. I've got to give him a . Some of the stops he made, I couldn't even see, partly because the feed was so terrible (you couldn't even read the numbers on their backs) but also because they were such quick reflex saves.

Last edited by NyQuil: 10-21-2005 at 09:15 PM.
Old
10-21-2005, 09:13 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 277
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Sens should sign Peter Schaefer to a deal as soon as they can. This guy is awesome. I wouldn't take back the Salo/Schaefer trade at all. He and Vermette look pretty good together, and when Havlat returns he should go right back with them.

And Hasek changed the momentum of the game after that save on St. Louis in the 2nd (After a brutal Phillips giveaway).

Old
10-21-2005, 09:24 PM
Sens Rule

Thanks again for the astute assessment Nyquil,

I agree with most of your comments. I looked at the Superstats on the game at NHL.com and it says Meszaros laid 5 hits, no other Senator had more than 1. Sometimes these stats are kinda useless, especially from some Arenas, howver since Mez played only 12:41 that is pretty impressive.

Schaeffer is awesome. He had an excellent breakaway, he may get a shot in the next Shootout.

I love Hvlat on the PK but you are right Alfie is the most effective PK. Alfie played excellent on the 5-3 for Tampa and stayed on the ice for the ensuing PP. He must have played for over 2 or 2:30 consecutively and never looked tired at all. I would take Alfie over any other forward in the league right now.

Old
10-21-2005, 09:32 PM
Sens Rule

With the ice conditions in Tampa how the heck did they only lose something like 19 man games to injury last season? That ice must be so hard on your knees and stuff.

Old
10-21-2005, 09:33 PM
ConJon

I missed the game tonight because of work, but thats awesome that they won again. Now hopefully Nashville will lose a few so Ottawa takes the spotlight again.

Old
10-21-2005, 09:34 PM
bert

Again Nyquil I agree with most of what you have posted.

First and formost I have got to say what game by Schaefer, man he is good. He just does absolutely everything well. What a move on Grahame, I think his jock strap is still in the rafters.

Alfie had a complete game, Eaves just keeps getting better and better.

Spezza is deadly on odd man rushes, great pass to Heater. I thought Heatley had one of his best games of the season, his skating gets better every game.

Hasek is a force he just makes me so confident.

Meszaros has ice in his veins, he never makes a mistake. He stood up St Louis in the first beautifully.

Best game of the year by the sens considering the circumstances. Road win without Fisher and Havlat. Great game by the sens.

Old
10-21-2005, 09:36 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 277
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Heatley did look deadly tonight, probably his best game of the year so far.

I hope Eaves is OK. With the way he has played so far, he deserves to stay in the NHL.

Old
10-21-2005, 09:41 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

What did you guys think of the refereeing?

1. I liked when they call penalties when there are already penalties being served. It shows that they still watch the play even if one team has the man advantage.

2. Most of their calls were decent calls in the new NHL.

3. HOWEVER, Tampa was hooking and clutching pretty tightly when Ottawa was in the offensive zone. Also, they missed the blatant attempt to injure by that punk Artyukhin, which was quite annoying since, as Dean and Garry said, linesmen can call major penalties. On the other side, they missed a pretty good trip/hook by an Ottawa player on a chance on a breakaway by a Tampa player, although our homer announcer claimed he got a piece of the puck first.

Note: I find it hard to remember parts of the game because the jersey numbers were blurred and the picture was pretty snowy. Anyone else find this? It's annoying because I have an HD TV but only HNIC and TSN games are in HD.

Old
10-21-2005, 09:44 PM
Sens Rule

Once again our 2nd PP wasn't very good. I think we should use Vermette and Schaeffer on the 2nd PP with Havlat. Until Havlat is back they could put Bochenski out with them. With Chara and either Meszaros or Phillips. I am not much of a fan of Pothier on the PP as I think both Phillips and Meszaros can be as effective offensively and less of a risk defensively.

Anyway with that 2nd PP unit we would at least keep position of the puck as long as they are on the ice. Vermette and Schaeffer were dominant tonight and deserve a look on the PP.

Old
10-21-2005, 09:48 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil

1. I liked when they call penalties when there are already penalties being served. It shows that they still watch the play even if one team has the man advantage.

2. Most of their calls were decent calls in the new NHL.

3. HOWEVER, Tampa was hooking and clutching pretty tightly when Ottawa was in the offensive zone. Also, they missed the blatant attempt to injure by that punk Artyukhin, which was quite annoying since, as Dean and Garry said, linesmen can call major penalties. On the other side, they missed a pretty good trip/hook by an Ottawa player on a chance on a breakaway by a Tampa player, although our homer announcer claimed he got a piece of the puck first.

Note: I find it hard to remember parts of the game because the jersey numbers were blurred and the picture was pretty snowy. Anyone else find this? It's annoying because I have an HD TV but only HNIC and TSN games are in HD.
My feed of the game was fine but I get regular TV from Videotron.

I thought the reffing was great until the 3rd period. In the 3rd they let more stuff go and the hit on Eaves was a clear penalty for hitting from behind regardless of whether he touched the puck or not I think. It was an attempt to injure I think. I love that they call penalties after there already is a penalty.

Also as you pointed out the officials seemed to be in the way of the play alot.

You used to be able to get away with anything short of murder if you were shorthanded this is much better.

Old
10-21-2005, 09:57 PM
H2O

vCash: 50
Quote:
It wasn't just you, the feed was awful.

Old
10-21-2005, 10:16 PM
RTWAP*

Thanks again to NyQuil for an excellent review

Some random impressions ... Meszaros made a mistake (late in the 2nd) and Pothier cleaned it up! ... Wow, Neiler is fast ... Backchecking is so much more important now - it gives the D-man the freedom to stay close enough to take the body after a dump-in without drawing a penalty ... Alfie rocks ... Hasek ROCKS ... Beat the Cup champs without 2 top-9 forwards, on the road, yikes ... Go Sens Go.

Old
10-21-2005, 10:55 PM
HF2002

I was a little disappointed that we didn't see Neil go beat the crap out of Artyukhin. It's not like Eaves turned at the last second, thus causing the hit from behind. This was a horrible hit and an even weaker non-call - Eaves had the puck! How do you miss that?

Then, Artyukhin was put back out on the ice immediately, and having seen Murray blow a gasket on the bench, I was convinced Neil was going to go over and lay a beating on Artyukhin. Boy was I wrong.

If there was ever a case of standing up for your teammates, this was it. Yeah, they need to protect the stars, but holy christ, you have to protect a player and retaliate after such a cheap shot.

Old
10-21-2005, 11:01 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

Quote:
-Phillips had one of his weakest games of the season, with at least 3 or 4 errors.
Im having a hard time with this one. Maybe i judge defensemen differently. He was well positioned controlling the play, winning the battles, neutralizing top lines, so he had a few giveaways you say, that doesnt make what he played a weak game. he was a force out there I thought.

Old
10-21-2005, 11:04 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF2002
I was a little disappointed that we didn't see Neil go beat the crap out of Artyukhin. It's not like Eaves turned at the last second, thus causing the hit from behind. This was a horrible hit and an even weaker non-call - Eaves had the puck! How do you miss that?

Then, Artyukhin was put back out on the ice immediately, and having seen Murray blow a gasket on the bench, I was convinced Neil was going to go over and lay a beating on Artyukhin. Boy was I wrong.

If there was ever a case of standing up for your teammates, this was it. Yeah, they need to protect the stars, but holy christ, you have to protect a player and retaliate after such a cheap shot.
I'm thinking that, in the current league climate, the coaches have gotten their marching orders not to let things escalate.

That being said, if Patrick Eaves wore Blue & White this would have been national news already.

Reading the CP write-up of the game, and watching the highlights, shows no mention of it whatsoever.

Old
10-21-2005, 11:05 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkwild
Im having a hard time with this one. Maybe i judge defensemen differently. He was well positioned controlling the play, winning the battles, neutralizing top lines, so he had a few giveaways you say, that doesnt make what he played a weak game. he was a force out there I thought.
I said it was his weakest game of the season.

Not necessarily Pothier-weak.

Old
10-21-2005, 11:21 PM
Tap on the Ankle
expert analysis

Artyukhin is easily the dirtiest player in the league, right behind Marty "Soap" Havlat. Havlat's kick and Artyukhin's hit are two of the blackest stains in all of hockey history. Both should be suspended for 300 games, minimum.

Old
10-21-2005, 11:22 PM
Release The Lehner

They had Hasek on post-game for the SUN network and the NHL network showed the interview after the game.

Hasek gave the defense virtually ALL of the credit, it was almost funny how much he praised them. The announcers kept asking him questions about how he saw the puck so well, and how he stoned so many scoring chances. All he kept saying was "What can I say? My defense gave up absolutely nothing tonight. All I had to do was stop the first shot and they cleared it immediately. TB had no good shots for pretty much the whole game because my defense was so good."

Well earned praise by the defense in my opinion. Chara's long reach back there was on display tonight and everyone (including Pothier) had a really strong game tonight.

Old
10-22-2005, 01:03 AM
IdiotsPickedMyName*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF2002

I think this was in the last ten minutes so if neil got an instigator it would have been a suspension. I'm sure they wanted to get Artyukhin back, but they didn't want to lose another player with fish and havlat out already.

Old
10-22-2005, 05:33 AM
Human Megaphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbth
I think this was in the last ten minutes so if neil got an instigator it would have been a suspension. I'm sure they wanted to get Artyukhin back, but they didn't want to lose another player with fish and havlat out already.
I didn't see the game, so am relying on everyone else's opinoin. That being said, I thought it was only the last two minutes that counted that way. Assuming I'm right, then MacGratton should be beating the snot out of Artyuking. It's what he is there for. Neil is awesome, but if we need to kill a suspension that wouldn't be a bad choice.

I think we need MacGratton as much as anyone for Ott/Tor, Ott/Phil, but that doesn't mean we should let bush league guys get away with stuff. Heck if we are up by 3, send Emery out and let him get suspended. With the 6 years off and the florida game cancelled, Hasek and Thomspon should be good to go.

Old
10-22-2005, 06:27 AM
Jorge Garcia

I rarely comment on the officials, but:
The refs and linesmen were Tampa's best forecheckers out there. Get the heck out of the way, zebras.
Chara continues to be punished for being big and strong. He got two hooking calls without hooking anyone. That bush-league punk tried to kill Eaves in plain view of four officials and got off scot-free. How do FOUR sets of eyes miss a major foul on the guy who has the puck? Just what WERE they looking at? Meanwhile, Chara got four minutes for having a guy dive over his stick and questioning the very questionable call.
That ref was very quick to call off Vermette's goal, even though the ice-level shot showed it was VERY close. He could have at least checked with the other officials.

As for the Sens:
On Phillips' big giveaway, check the highlights. He lost the puck because Lecavalier stuck out his foot and tripped him just enough to pull him off stride. Phillips was pretty solid overall. So was the whole defence, even Pothier, who did pick up Mez at one point.
Gotta love: Alfie as a penalty killer. Alfie as a PP point man. Alfie as a forechecker. Alfie as a backchecker. Alfie in general. Also: Schaeffer's smarts, hands and hard work. And how about Neil's smarts, hands and hard work. Spezza and Heatley were strong. Jason's only drop pass was a beauty. That's more like it.
Hasek is incredibly confidence-inspiring. I no longer cringe every time the bad guys enter our zone.
Tampa looked very flat, the Sens played a good road game, but the excitement was sporadic at best. Anyway, a good team win.

Old
10-22-2005, 08:19 AM
c_mak

Send a message via MSN to c_mak
I think Eaves has looked fantastic. In fact I think his excellent speed on the fore check and good board work have carried Smolinski who has been god awful. Smoke looks like a fat kid trying to keep up with the other skinny kids on the play ground. Hew was constantly in that in between space onthe ice..too far away to forecheck and too far up ice to cover anyone else...floater!
i thought phillps had a great game. Twice he chased to puck all the way into Tampa's zone, one time containing it and trying to start a cycle with it. Phillips has always been a very good skater for a big guy, and i think coach murry burned the shackles coach martin had on him. I have not seem Phillips look this good since junior.
I have really like the Vermete, Neil, Schaffer line. Their scoring production notwithstanding, they cycled the puck well and skated all night. I am thinking Murray should keep Vermette at centre, when Fisher gets back and leave smoke on the bench, or in the press box.
Spezza and heatley are money onthe odd man rush. Bob cole had a line about Lemuiex and Gretzky that I think applies to Spez and Heater. Spezza loads the gun and Heatley pulls the trigger
Redden didn't look that great to me and potheir makes me wince when he handles the puck. Not something you want from a guy that is supposed to be a strong passing defenecman but maybe he, (pothier) will turn it around.
Volchenkov needs to stop looking for the big hit sooo much, word is out on him and other teams players look prepared. Twice I watched him go for it and miss once the other time he bounced off Modin.
Hasek was as good as he needed to be. He made good saves when called upon and in the first peiod made a great save to turn the momentum a little. Man its good to finally have a goalie with some moxy.
I hope Eaves is O.K. Neil or McGratton shoulda pounded that punk

I'm Done

Old
10-22-2005, 08:26 AM
Pangu

Well the important thing with open ice hits is that the opposition learns to fear you. It's not the noise or concussions that kill you, its the fear and the mistakes that go along with it.

Old
10-22-2005, 08:30 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by south end super star
Spezza and heatley are money onthe odd man rush. Bob cole had a line about Lemuiex and Gretzky that I think applies to Spez and Heater. Spezza loads the gun and Heatley pulls the trigger
For the tandem to really work, Spezza is going to have to shoot it once in awhile, to keep the d-men and goalies guessing.

Old
10-22-2005, 08:49 AM
c_mak

Send a message via MSN to c_mak
Quote:
For the tandem to really work, Spezza is going to have to shoot it once in awhile, to keep the d-men and goalies guessing.
Can I get an Amen! Ya I think so too, however Spezza is so gifted with the puck that even if you know that he is going to pass he can still get it there. Notice the little shimmy he gave the Tampa defence before he laid it out for Heater.
Too bad about the Hurricane cancelation tonight, now I'll have to watch Ontario's other team bleech

Closed Thread