HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Too Many Players Gone

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2003, 06:32 AM
Oilersyul89

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Oilersyul89 Send a message via Yahoo to Oilersyul89
Too Many Players Gone

Kevin Lowe has preached about keeping the nucleus together, and it shows in contracts Smyth, Brewer, Moreau, Pisani...BUT...

Look at the players we have lost in less than 1 year:

Carter, Niiniimaa, Marchant, Cleary , and now probably Comrie.

Yes the arguement about the guys in the dressing room can be made that that is the nucleus. And yes, the guys we got in return are quality. However, losing those 4 guys Carter, Niiniimaa, Marchant, Comrie, is sure to cause some churn and growing pains, no?

Am I the only worried person?

Old
10-09-2003, 06:37 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny08
Kevin Lowe has preached about keeping the nucleus together, and it shows in contracts Smyth, Brewer, Moreau, Pisani...BUT...

Yes the arguement about the guys in the dressing room can be made that that is the nucleus. And yes, the guys we got in return are quality. However, losing those 4 guys Carter, Niiniimaa, Marchant, Comrie, is sure to cause some churn and growing pains, no?

The only player there that we would still need is Niinimaa as we lack a true number one Dman (Brewer isn't until he takes that last step, he's easily an elite #2 Dman).

Old
10-09-2003, 06:56 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
However, losing those 4 guys Carter, Niiniimaa, Marchant, Comrie, is sure to cause some churn and growing pains, no?

I agree about churn and growing pains, but I'm not terribly worried. I do think we will probably miss the playoffs this year and probably take some ribbing from our friends in Nuckland and the City of Cattle, but I think that longer term, we're better off.

Old
10-09-2003, 07:07 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
I agree about churn and growing pains, but I'm not terribly worried. I do think we will probably miss the playoffs this year and probably take some ribbing from our friends in Nuckland and the City of Cattle, but I think that longer term, we're better off.
Our future is the second best one in Canada (to the Sens). We have a great surplus of young kids coming up - and I think slowly but surely the team will gradually improve

Old
10-09-2003, 07:07 AM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
The only player there that we would still need is Niinimaa as we lack a true number one Dman (Brewer isn't until he takes that last step, he's easily an elite #2 Dman).
i second that

Old
10-09-2003, 08:27 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

In response to Oiler_Guy_Eddie:
I don't think we'll miss tHe playoffs, I think we are in the same boat as

1.LA
2.SJ
3.CHI
4.MIN
5.ANA
6.CAL

fighting for the last 3 spots (COL, DET, DAL, ST.L, VAN)

If I was to rate the above 6 teams, I would think we ice a better team than Calgary, and Minnesota, and Chicago, and San Jose. That leaves Edmonton, LA and ANA, if LA's Allison and Deadmarsh can't get over their constant injuries, then I think we have a better team than them too. I'm not guarenteeing a playoff spot, but I think we have the same chance as making it as high as 6, (probably 8th) as we've had since 1997.

Old
10-09-2003, 08:28 AM
Digger12

Quote:

My worry comes from this team being so unpredictable...I can't remember the Oilers having so many players with boom/bust potential:

Isbister - Could replace Carter but with much more of a physical dimension, or could sleepwalk through another season and be back on the 4th line again.

Dvorak - Trying to bounce back from a major knee injury, who knows what his rate of production will be.

Hemsky - His talent is tremendous, but are we asking too much of a 20 year old?

Smyth - Can he ever have a healthy season?

Brewer - He could break out into a 40-50 point player, or stay muddled in the 30's.

Bergeron - Could be a Rafalski, or could be a Hawgood.

Reasoner/Horcoff - Are they 2nd liners in 3rd liner clothing, or 3rd liners in 2nd liner clothing?

Pisani - Everyone loved the hat trick he scored last year, but take away that one game and his stats aren't great. Is he a late bloomer or a one hit wonder that got some bounces?

Semenov - A sophmore jinx from him leaves a BIg hole in our D.

That's the thing I'm fretting...IMO this team could go far, but in which direction? The Comrie situation is the big X factor.

Old
10-09-2003, 10:20 AM
jadeddog

yeah im VERY worried actually.... but the fact of the matter is that until the NHL becoms a league where smallers teams can compete the oilers are ALWAYS going to be this way.... simple as that

Closed Thread