HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

How the Team Came Together

Closed Thread

Old
10-07-2003, 08:12 PM
Oiltown16

vCash: 500
How the Team Came Together

How the 22 man roster came to be...

Goaltenders

Tommy Salo: Obtained by Edmonton from New York Islanders on March 20, 1999 in exchange for Mats Lindgren and the Oilersí eighth round selection (Radek Martinek) in the 1999 NHL Entry Draft.

Ty Conklin: Signed as a free agent by Edmonton on April 18, 2002.

Defence

Eric Brewer: Obtained by Oilers from New York Islanders on June 24, 2000, along with Josh Green and New Yorkís 2nd choice (Brad Winchester) in 2000 NHL Entry Draft, in exchange for Roman Hamrlik.

Jason Smith: Obtained by Edmonton from Toronto Maple Leafs on March 23, 1999 in exchange for Oilersí 4th round selection (Jonathan Zion) in 1999 NHL Entry Draft and 2nd round selection (Kris Vernarsky) in 2000 NHL Entry Draft.

Steve Staios: Signed as a free agent by Edmonton on July 12, 2001.

Alexei Semenov: Edmontonís 2nd choice, 36th overall, in 1999 NHL Entry Draft.

Cory Cross: Obtained by Edmonton from NY Rangers on March 11, 2003, along with Radek Dvorak, in exchange for Anson Carter and Ales Pisa.

Scott Ferguson: Signed as a free agent by Edmonton on July 5, 2000.

Marc-Andre Bergeron: Signed as a free agent by Edmonton on May 29, 2001.

Mikko Luoma: ??

Forwards

Ryan Smyth: Edmonton's 2nd choice (1st round), 6th overall, in 1994 NHL Entry Draft.

Mike York: Obtained from the NY Rangers on March 19, 2002, along with a 4th round choice (Ivan Koltsov, D) in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft in exchange for Rem Murray and Tom Poti.

Radek Dvorak: Obtained by Edmonton from NY Rangers on March 11, 2003, along with Cory Cross, in exchange for Anson Carter and Ales Pisa.

Ales Hemsky: Oilersí 1st choice, 13th overall, in 2001 NHL Entry Draft

Brad Isbister: Obtained by Edmonton from NY Islanders on March 11, 2003, along with Raffi Torres, in exchange for Janne Niinimaa and a conditional 2nd round pick in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft.

Shawn Horcoff: Edmontonís third choice (4th round), 99th overall, in 1998 NHL Entry Draft.

Jason Chimera: Edmontonís fifth choice, 121st overall, in 1997 NHL Entry Draft

Jarret Stoll: Edmontonís 3rd choice (2nd round), 36th overall, in 2002 NHL Entry Draft.

Georges Laraque: Edmontonís 2nd choice, 31st overall, in the 1995 NHL Entry Draft.

Ethan Moreau: Obtained from Chicago Blackhawks on March 20, 1999, along with Daniel Cleary, Chad Kilger and Christian Laflamme in exchange for Dean McAmmond, Boris Mironov and Jonas Elofsson.

Fernando Pisani:Edmontonís 9th choice (8th round), 195th overall, in 1996 NHL Entry Draft.

Marty Reasoner: Obtained by Edmonton from St. Louis Blues on July 1, 2001, along with Jochen Hecht and Jan Horacek, in exchange for Doug Weight and Michel Riesen.

Old
10-08-2003, 01:26 AM
Allan

Mikko Luoma was drafted by Edmonton in the 6th round, 181st overall in 2002.

Old
10-08-2003, 03:24 AM
Mr Sakich

notice the trend here. Lowe does not acquire guys coming off their career year (buy low) while trading away guys who are near the top of their value (weight, guerin, carter, hammer) which is selling high.

York, Staios, Devo, torres, issbister were all pretty big question marks but are turning out pretty good. This may be a clue into who we get back from trading away comrie. Could be a recently sent down guy like coliocovo, or hamhuis. Could be a good young player who didn't impress in camp like upshall.

Old
10-09-2003, 08:26 AM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor dyck
notice the trend here. Lowe does not acquire guys coming off their career year (buy low) while trading away guys who are near the top of their value (weight, guerin, carter, hammer) which is selling high.

York, Staios, Devo, torres, issbister were all pretty big question marks but are turning out pretty good. This may be a clue into who we get back from trading away comrie. Could be a recently sent down guy like coliocovo, or hamhuis. Could be a good young player who didn't impress in camp like upshall.
I don't think York and Devo were as big of a question mark as the others. York proved, at least, that he could play with the big boys and not look bad; Devo has scored, although... yeah, I guess his knee made him a question mark, but I'd say he's passed so far.

Staios was probably underrated and that was a very astute move by Lowe and his staff to see that.

Torres and Izzy are a gamble, big time.

I think given Lowe's proclivities, if MC goes, it'll be in return for at least one guy who has talent and perhaps just needs time in another city (like Smith, Staios, and Brewer), a high-risk high-return type of guy, and perhaps some picks or recently drafted player(s) - picks strikes me as more likely, if Lowe manages to fill needs rather than wants.

(I should say, this is the edit: that's the sort of thing that I think is likely Lowe will get back. I don't think Lowe is likely to get any single player who is as good as MC, ie a 22 year old 30 goal scorer who can play #2C for sure, looks good as a #1 too, doesn't back down from physical play, and is willing to take a bullet for the team.)

Old
10-09-2003, 10:19 AM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigus
I think given Lowe's proclivities, if MC goes, it'll be in return for at least one guy who has talent and perhaps just needs time in another city (like Smith, Staios, and Brewer), a high-risk high-return type of guy, and perhaps some picks or recently drafted player(s) - picks strikes me as more likely, if Lowe manages to fill needs rather than wants.
Well Stefan and Exelby sure fit the bill given his track record (Stefan just might thrive here) but I think it would take a bit more than Comrie to pull this off. Not much - but a role player that Atlanta likes would also probably have to go. One of the young Nashville dman like Suter or Hamhuis would be good, Eminger in Washington fits, or the young Philly dmen (Woywitka and Seidenberg). No way a Pitkaanen or Ruutu goes anywhere and certainly not for Comrie.

Old
10-09-2003, 10:40 AM
copperandblue

Just a thought but if all suggestions are true and Lowe is going to trade Comrie AND is willing to wait patiently to do it so he can maximize his return, then wouldn't it be most likely a deal with one of the big spending teams?

With the CBA coming up I would expect there are a few teams out there (meaning the teams with the highest payrolls) that are looking at this year as their last kick at the cat before they are forced to cut payroll. Based on that, as the year rolls on and some of these teams are looking for that last bit of offence for a cup run, they may actually be willing to overpay for a guy like Comrie. Afterall he is immediate offence and fits any team post CBA, some of these teams may be willing to give up one or even a couple real blue chip prospects that could pan out very well for us long term.

At any rate, who ever he is traded for, I am half expecting the returning player/players to be diamonds in the rough or prospects that won't immediately be comparable to Comrie.

Old
10-09-2003, 11:23 AM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
Just a thought but if all suggestions are true and Lowe is going to trade Comrie AND is willing to wait patiently to do it so he can maximize his return, then wouldn't it be most likely a deal with one of the big spending teams?

With the CBA coming up I would expect there are a few teams out there (meaning the teams with the highest payrolls) that are looking at this year as their last kick at the cat before they are forced to cut payroll. Based on that, as the year rolls on and some of these teams are looking for that last bit of offence for a cup run, they may actually be willing to overpay for a guy like Comrie. Afterall he is immediate offence and fits any team post CBA, some of these teams may be willing to give up one or even a couple real blue chip prospects that could pan out very well for us long term.

At any rate, who ever he is traded for, I am half expecting the returning player/players to be diamonds in the rough or prospects that won't immediately be comparable to Comrie.
In theory yes - but there are problems trading MC to many of these teams:

Detroit - too many small centers already on the roster
NYR - lots of overpaid centers already on the roster
Colorado - no room in the house, rival
Philly - lots of big centers already
St Louis - got Demitra and Weight and the money woes that go along with them
Washington - se St Louis
Toronto - need Dmen more than a center

All the other teams qualify as mid-market to me interms of size or how they operate. Of the big boys - only Philly makes sense if they are looking to next year when they can dump Primeau. MC could be their #2 behind Roenick and Handzus could be their #3. Of course the same case could made for NYR if they ditch Lindros and Nedved next year.

Closed Thread