HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Manchester

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2005, 03:13 PM
Game Misconduct

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyaa
I haven't seen a whole lot of desire from Grebs
You know what, I think you're on to something. He acts like he's sleepwalking sometimes. Then again, so does Frolov. Grebs just does it a lot more.

Old
10-25-2005, 03:15 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingolfin
would easily be bumped out of the lineup with the acquisition of a player like Witt.

--
Fin
I think the same could be said about many of the defensemen in the NHL...

Old
10-25-2005, 03:18 PM
jeffreyaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Misconduct
You know what, I think you're on to something. He acts like he's sleepwalking sometimes. Then again, so does Frolov. Grebs just does it a lot more.
Yeah- agreed. I've been fairly concerned about Fro so far this year. Put Weaver's heart and hustle in Grebeshkov's [or Frolov's, at least for now] body and you've got a consistent all star, in my opinion.

Old
10-25-2005, 03:21 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
In light of all of this, I don't think we're getting an accurate assessment of his talents out of the Manchester fans.
i duno, manchester fans have been giving pretty accurate assessments as of so far. in fact, im pretty damn grateful to hear anything they have to say about our kids, good or bad. and ya, i do agree with you, he didn't look THAT bad during pre-season, but manchester fans are right, it's a pretty small sample compared to their season long look. as of right now, i'd take their word over what i saw of him in just those few games.

cause hell, if i were right and they were wrong, grebs would be up here in LA right now, right?

Old
10-25-2005, 04:04 PM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
There you go again bashing the Russians

Side note, thought Fro played well on the pk against Cal.

Old
10-25-2005, 04:08 PM
Fingolfin

Quote:
I think Jeff's point was just that he's not going to Manchester any time soon.
That may have been his intention, but he specifically disagreed with a quote stating Weaver was a dime a dozen player. Now, I agree that I don't see Weaver as Manchester bound anytime soon, but then again, I don't see LA making any moves on the blueline anytime soon either.

--
Fin

Old
10-25-2005, 04:10 PM
Fingolfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer
I think the same could be said about many of the defensemen in the NHL...
Which is exactly why Weaver is a dime a dozen player.

I like his heart, I like his hustle, and have been impressed with his consistancy... but hell, I liked Doug Houda too.

--
Fin

Old
10-25-2005, 04:52 PM
jeffreyaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingolfin
That may have been his intention, but he specifically disagreed with a quote stating Weaver was a dime a dozen player. Now, I agree that I don't see Weaver as Manchester bound anytime soon, but then again, I don't see LA making any moves on the blueline anytime soon either.

--
Fin
Fair enough, although given the Kings inability to find consistently performing solid dmen who won't get injured [knock on wood] the past couple seasons, I'm pretty glad to have a guy like Weaver around. Lilja, Kuznetsov, Yushkevich, Norton [though I like the guy], Grebs [who knows- work in progress for now], Corvo [ditto], Dempsey [ditto], Modry [heart attack city], Quintal [huh?], etc; I'll take dime-a-dozen Mike in that position for right now. Long term I'd love to see Grebs snatch that spot away from him, but - again - I think he'd need to show some more heart and desire to make that happen; can only be a good thing, eh?

Last edited by jeffreyaa: 10-25-2005 at 05:11 PM.
Old
10-27-2005, 12:25 AM
jfont

Awards:
how are the monarchs doing?

10-27-2005, 06:28 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
how are the monarchs doing?
My "brother" put up an article from the UL that's a spotlight on Pushkarev...

They play 2 games at home this weekend. Saturday night they play against last year's Calder Cup Champions Philadelphia. On Sunday, Joe Rullier and the Hartford Wolf Pack visit Manchester for the first time this season. The Monarchs lost to the Pack in their season opener in Hartford...

In today's article, Hughes points out that the Monarchs have earned points in their last three games. What's lost in the translation, it how they earned the points.

During their home opener, the Monarchs were trailing Springfield by a goal in the third period. With a little over a minute to play in the game, Hauser was pulled for the extra attacker. Tukonen scored to tie the game with about 55-seconds left. In OT it was Kanko with the winner...

The following Friday, the Monarchs were in San Antonio and as in the Springfield game, found themselves trailing by a goal in the third. Hauser to the bench, extra attacker on, Giuliano scores to tie the game with about 45-seconds left in regulation. Monarchs eventually lose the shootout but gain the point...

Two games in a row, they pulled the goalie and tied it up with less than a minute to play...Good stuff and a never count them out message sent...

Saturday night in Houston, Giuliano, while killing a 5-on-3 in the second period, steals a lazy pass by Houston at the blue line, goes the distance and scores an unassisted goal with a top shelf backhander. Wilford scores the game winner in OT...

Pretty good stuff...

edit: I just remembered that the Rags have assigned Purinton to Hartford and he will be eligible to play against the Monarchs on Sunday unless he does something stupid between now and then, which, given Purinton's propensity for doing stupid things, is well within the realm of possible...

Last edited by King Blazer: 10-27-2005 at 07:42 AM.
Old
10-27-2005, 06:13 PM
jfont

Awards:
thanks KB

Old
11-14-2005, 05:03 PM
Fat Elvis

Well, 12 games into the season these guys are looking better. Some questions for the Manchester crew.
What's up with Roussin? Is he playing poorly? Does he look over his head against the ahl talent?
Tuk already has more points than he had last year. Is he impressing or is he getting it done quietly?
Connor James is putting up points. Do you think his game can translate in the nhl?
Do you think Petiot can survive in the nhl, yet?
Tambs is all over the score sheet. How long before he joins the Kings?
A Kanko time frame for his big league debut? Do you think he can ever improve his offense?
Any other opinions would be great, thanks.

Old
11-14-2005, 07:15 PM
hockeynutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING ELVI
Well, 12 games into the season these guys are looking better. Some questions for the Manchester crew.
What's up with Roussin? Is he playing poorly? Does he look over his head against the ahl talent?
I hope KB & Reggie contribute their thoughts here at some point.
Roussin's nearly invisible. his stats show 10 games played, 1 goal, 0 assists, 0 +/-, 4 pim. he's not horrible, but imo, he's outplayed on most shifts and i think was a healthy scratch for the last two games.
Quote:
Tuk already has more points than he had last year. Is he impressing or is he getting it done quietly?
from my perspective, he's played consistently well. he skates well, finishes almost all of his checks. not flashy, but good.
Quote:
Connor James is putting up points. Do you think his game can translate in the nhl?
eventually, he'll get there. he'll have to survive the same knock as Cammi - small quick guy.
Quote:
not yet. soon, though. he's tough, he's smart, and he's learning where he needs to be on the ice. the nhl is much faster in all aspects than the ahl, and he's figuring it out. i'd say he'll be in the nhl before Grebs, because he gets it.
Quote:
given the kings' injury record, he'll be there long before we're ready to let him go.
Quote:
A Kanko time frame for his big league debut? Do you think he can ever improve his offense?
Petr has 4 points in 12 games. He plays with heart, and is fearless. BUT he's sometimes a bit reckless, and was apparently sat down for 2-1/2 periods of saturday's game for mouthing off to the ref on an offside call. (none of us knows for sure why he went off the ice after service his penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct but he never came back.) i love this kid, and hope his offensive game comes around. he's rough around the edges, but has a fair amount of promise.
Quote:
Any other opinions would be great, thanks.
Brust is showing signs of being a pretty decent goalie. he goes to his knees early some times, but he's not often out of position to make the initial stop. sometimes gives up big rebounds, though.

Looking forward to seeing Fukufuji here while Hauser's in LA.

If Joey Mormina figures out how big he is, he'll be a force.

Old
11-15-2005, 08:27 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
Invisible and probably could use a little time in the E to get on track...

Quote:
He scored the winning goal in the SO on Friday night and followed it up with the GWG in OT on Saturday. I'm impressed...

Quote:
He's centering Tambs and Smyth and looks comfortable on the pivot. NHL? I'll let you know a little later in the season...

Quote:
Sure he can survive. I think a season in Manchester will be about all the time he needs to spend in the AHL...

Quote:
It wouldn't surprise me to see him get a look after the first of the year...

Quote:
His time frame will probably depend on part to his self discipline. Taking a 2-min penalty for mouthing off to the ref in a 1-0 game usually doesn't win you a lot of style points with coaches. He's scored a couple of VERY timely goals this year. He plays on the thrid line with Matt Smithson-Ryan so I don't expect much in terms of him getting a lot of help in the scoring dept.

Any other opinions would be great, thanks.[/QUOTE]

Bernakevitch has done the best in terms of production with the ice time he's been given. Thursday night, the Monarchs were trailing Springfield 5-2 with a little more than 4-mins left in the game. Bernie popped a goal that Cail called the catalyst for the Monarchs improbable come from behind SO victory. He was scratched on Friday night and came back Saturday with a goal, the assist on Murphy's goal to tie the game with just under 6-mins to play and layed a beautiful pass to Tuk for the OT winner.

Murphy is starting to come into the picture a bit more. He's seeing more time on the PK...

Old
11-15-2005, 09:44 AM
Fat Elvis

Thanks a lot guys. Good to hear Tuk is impressing, I hope he continues to do well.

I see Kanko as a Avery type player, am I too far off?

I was thinking that Manchester may swap Roussin with Hogeboom soon. Some scoring success could help with Roussin, and Hogeboom is probably ready for some better competition.

Good words for James, he sounds a little like Clarke. The 5 foot nothing line with James-Clarke-Murphy.

It sounds like the wild cards could be Mormina, Bern, Murphy and Brust in goal.

Who's been the best 3 players and the worst? Thanks

Old
11-15-2005, 10:46 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
Thanks a lot guys. Good to hear Tuk is impressing, I hope he continues to do well.
Me too...

Quote:
I see Kanko as a Avery type player, am I too far off?
The comparison is somewhat accurate.

Quote:
I was thinking that Manchester may swap Roussin with Hogeboom soon. Some scoring success could help with Roussin, and Hogeboom is probably ready for some better competition.
Hogeboom missed almost all of last season. The organization brought his 4-yr college teammate and linemate Mike Kompon to Reading this season. At this point, Hogey needs ice time and he's likely going to see more of it in Reading than in Manchester. My guess is that Roussin is close to a trip on the Reading...

Quote:
Good words for James, he sounds a little like Clarke. The 5 foot nothing line with James-Clarke-Murphy.
The Kids got game. Keep in mind though that Giuliano was basically a PPG guy when he was centering Tambs and Smyth.

Quote:
It sounds like the wild cards could be Mormina, Bern, Murphy and Brust in goal.
That's a good list of who's "surprised" me so far...
Quote:
Who's been the best 3 players and the worst? Thanks
Best:

Tambellini
Tukonen
Petiot

Instead of worst, I'll use disappointing:

Grebs, but starting to show signs of life...
Roussin, he's struggling...
Matt Ryan, can't stay out of the friggin penalty box...

Honorable mention:

Defenseman Mark Ardelan (PTO) has played some solid minutes as well. Unfortunately, his stay in Manchester is probably coming to an end with Seeley returning to the lineup and Petiot back in Manchester...

His bio from the Monarchs site:

2004-2005 Season: Appeared in 72 games with the ECHL’s South Carolina Stingrays…Registered 47 points (15-32=47) and 24 penalty minutes…Tied for third in scoring among all ECHL defensemen…Topped the ECHL in scoring among rookie defensemen…Played in one game for the Portland Pirates, collecting his first and only AHL point (an assist) and two penalty minutes.

Old
11-15-2005, 01:37 PM
ILuvLA

Great updates, always good to hear how everyone is coming along. Thanks!

Old
11-15-2005, 02:56 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

was always a bit lukewarm on tambellini, surprised he's doing THAT well in the A. it's been said that his skills should translate into the NHL very well, that's pretty itneresting. maybe we did better in the 2003 draft then i thought

Old
11-15-2005, 03:07 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
was always a bit lukewarm on tambellini, surprised he's doing THAT well in the A. it's been said that his skills should translate into the NHL very well, that's pretty itneresting. maybe we did better in the 2003 draft then i thought
He ditched the visor a few games back and is getting his hands a bit dirty as well. He layed some big hits on guys in the past few games....

Old
11-16-2005, 06:56 AM
King Blazer

From today's (11/16/05) Union Leader...

Inside Source: Monarchs rookies step nicely into their new roles
By BRAD SMYTH
Special for the Union Leader

THE 2005-06 Manchester Monarchs are a very resilient team. I think we proved that last weekend with our come-from-behind shootout victory in Springfield and our wins at home over Lowell and Hershey. All of those games could have easily gone either way. The young guys on our team were instrumental in all three of those wins. They have really stepped up their game, shooting and skating exceptionally well. I’ve been most impressed with the play of a few of our first-year players: Jeff Tambellini, Lauri Tukonen and Richard Petiot.

I think Shooter is reading some of my stuff...

link: http://unionleader.com/articles_show...?article=63095

Old
11-16-2005, 12:38 PM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer
From today's (11/16/05) Union Leader...

Inside Source: Monarchs rookies step nicely into their new roles
By BRAD SMYTH
Special for the Union Leader

THE 2005-06 Manchester Monarchs are a very resilient team. I think we proved that last weekend with our come-from-behind shootout victory in Springfield and our wins at home over Lowell and Hershey. All of those games could have easily gone either way. The young guys on our team were instrumental in all three of those wins. They have really stepped up their game, shooting and skating exceptionally well. I’ve been most impressed with the play of a few of our first-year players: Jeff Tambellini, Lauri Tukonen and Richard Petiot.

I think Shooter is reading some of my stuff...

link: http://unionleader.com/articles_show...?article=63095
good stuff in that article
i definitly agree with Shooter. this might be the best skating team we have ever had. Obviously we would like some more size up front but so far its working.
It would be nice if we could jump out to a lead and keep it. these come from behind games are trying on the nerves.

Old
11-16-2005, 12:43 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
It would be nice if we could jump out to a lead and keep it. these come from behind games are trying on the nerves.
Hughes said basically the same thing during a radio interview this morning. He's not kidding himself and knows it best not to go to the well too many times...

Old
11-16-2005, 01:28 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

so pushkarev sucks, roussin sucks, anyone else not playing up to par? glad to hear about tambellini, tukonen, and petiot.

Old
11-16-2005, 01:42 PM
Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
so pushkarev sucks, roussin sucks, anyone else not playing up to par? glad to hear about tambellini, tukonen, and petiot.
I wouldn't exactly say the Pushkarev sucks. IMO he just needs more time. He has some tools, no question, but he needs to learn he has team mates on the ice with hime and pass the puck more. He tries to do too much on his own and ends up in trouble and loosing the puck. In the last shootout, he made a real nice move on goal and scored. Must better than his first shootout attempt.

Old
11-16-2005, 05:07 PM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
I concur with MrKen48.

Pushkarev had some issues earlier in the season, but he seems to be taking steps to work them out. He's scoring, but his play-making (i.e. passing) needs work.

Closed Thread