HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

brendan morrison analysis

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2005, 01:08 AM
Popcorn_Shrimp*

vCash: 500
brendan morrison analysis

got an interesting topic for a post from another thread on this board, take a look

Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi
Morrison is a 2nd line centre on 25 teams in the league - 1st on about 5, including ours unfortunatly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [U
ruutu37[/U]]wrong.
name 25.
lets take a look

Teams where Brendan Morrison would be second line

toronto(sundin-much too valuable to the leafs incase eric or jason or both are lost to injury)
philadelphia(forsberg), pittsburgh(crosby, lemieux),
ottawa(spezza wins hands down), boston(thornton-no competition), montreal(koivu or ribeiro, either one is better)
washington(this year Morrison would be good here but next year i would for sure take malkin over brendan), carolina(staal-underrated, he is very good), atlanta-(this is a close matchup, i would give it to savard by the width of a hair off dave babych mustache, my reasons: marc has the skill but is somewhat injury prone)
tampa bay(lecavlier and Richards-both have more value than morrison)
islanders(yashin-gets a slight edge)
rangers(straka-this is close but marty would take it down the stretch)
florida(jokinen-they are very close another tough matchup=tie)
detroit(datsyuk-pavel takes it no question)
minnesota(rolston vs morrison=tie)
colorado(sakic-nuff said)
los angeles(demitra-he is too much for brendan)
dallas(modano-mike takes the matchup he has the experience and still has the skill to back it up)
anaheim(fedorov-again same as with modano)
san jose(marleau-slight edge to patrick)
phoenix(comrie-mike has alot of potential)

tallying up the score there 22 potential teams where brendan would be second line, and 20 teams if u dismiss rolston and jokinen

in the end it is a fair analysis of brendan considering hes playing with 2 of one of the best wingers in the league...
give me your thoughts and opinions

Old
10-22-2005, 01:12 AM
RoyIsALegend*

Brendan Morrison is a fantastic second line center.

Those are my thoughts.

Old
10-22-2005, 01:20 AM
Canucks-R-best

Quote:
Originally Posted by polish_flyboi
got an interesting topic for a post from another thread on this board, take a look

Morrison is a 2nd line centre on 25 teams in the league - 1st on about 5, including ours unfortunatly.

lets take a look

toronto(sundin-much too valuable to the leafs incase eric or jason or both are lost to injury)
ottawa(spezza wins hands down), boston(thornton-no competition), montreal(koivu or ribeiro, either one is better)
washington(this year Morrison would be good here but next year i would for sure take malkin over brendan), carolina(staal-underrated, he is very good), atlanta-(this is a close matchup, i would give it to savard by the width of a hair off dave babych mustache, my reasons: marc has the skill but is somewhat injury prone)
dallas(modano-mike takes the matchup he has the experience and still has the skill to back it up)

tallying up the score there 22 potential teams where brendan would be second line, and 20 teams if u dismiss rolston and jokinen

in the end it is a fair analysis of brendan considering hes playing with 2 of one of the best wingers in the league...

Mo is better then quite a few players on there....hes a first line centre on our team....nuff said...Malkin plays for pitts....so u might wanna know what players play for what teams before u make these kind of comparisons

Old
10-22-2005, 01:23 AM
Kits

I agree, a very good second line center, look at his scouting report on tsn.ca.

I haven't been impressed with his play so far this year, he is overpaid.

Old
10-22-2005, 01:26 AM
Popcorn_Shrimp*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucks-R-best
Mo is better then quite a few players on there....hes a first line centre on our team....nuff said...Malkin plays for pitts....so u might wanna know what players play for what teams before u make these kind of comparisons
my fault on malkin gratz to u...
now tell me who is he better/reasons than on that list

Old
10-22-2005, 01:43 AM
Canucks-R-best

Quote:

lets take a look

Morrison is better than Ribeiro thats a certain, with Wash i would take Ovy over Mo (is Alex playing centre?) If ot then ya he would be in wash. Morrison i believe is better then Savard, Staal.....at the moment Staal will be better but give him some time. Better than Straka....With roston id give a slight advantage to Mo...And Mo over Comrie...

Old
10-22-2005, 01:49 AM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucks-R-best
Morrison is better than Ribeiro thats a certain, with Wash i would take Ovy over Mo (is Alex playing centre?) If ot then ya he would be in wash. Morrison i believe is better then Savard, Staal.....at the moment Staal will be better but give him some time. Better than Straka....With roston id give a slight advantage to Mo...And Mo over Comrie...
Marc Savard is much better offensively than Brendan Morrison, but for the role Morrison serves between Markus Naslund and Todd Bertuzzi, I agree that Mo's the better fit.

Old
10-22-2005, 01:56 AM
Canucks-R-best

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
Marc Savard is much better offensively than Brendan Morrison, but for the role Morrison serves between Markus Naslund and Todd Bertuzzi, I agree that Mo's the better fit.
sort of the same with savard....to put up points he seems to need the proper mates that can become accustomed to his style, If savard was on the WCE then ya hed put up points prolly the best of his carrer but that line would have to score at least 4 goals a night because they would get at least 3 scored against...So ya i agree with u there

Old
10-22-2005, 01:57 AM
Canucks-R-best

Quote:
my fault on malkin gratz to u...
now tell me who is he better/reasons than on that list

wasnt trying to sound like an *** about the malkin thing sorry if it came out that way. Im just sticking up for my boy Mo

Old
10-22-2005, 02:20 AM
Popcorn_Shrimp*

hehehe
no worries mate, im just trying to get an objective discussion goin, i think its a topic worth some debate

Old
10-22-2005, 02:26 AM
THE SOVIET*

Send a message via AIM to THE SOVIET* Send a message via Yahoo to THE SOVIET*
Mo is an above average 2nd liner, ie/ part time 1st liner, a guy that you can throw on the 1st line and not be disappointed with but he's not that true #1 guy that the Canucks have never really had imo

Old
10-22-2005, 02:30 AM
Popcorn_Shrimp*

also i think that you guys are right about Mo being a better fit den savard in vanc, however savard is on a higher level as far as pure skill goes, it is possible if he were to replace Mo, he could be trying to step from out of the shadow of marcus and bert, but as you very well know brendan is very comfortable in that position and has a certain amount of intangible value, in that he doesnt have to be a front and centre guy... so in regard to these 2 guys it can be argued either way, it all depends on what kind of character of player vs offensive presence you want

Old
10-22-2005, 02:37 AM
Popcorn_Shrimp*

Quote:
also i think that you guys are right about Mo being a better fit den savard in vanc, however savard is on a higher level as far as pure skill goes, it is possible if he were to replace Mo, he could be trying to step from out of the shadow of marcus and bert, but as you very well know brendan is very comfortable in that position and has a certain amount of intangible value, in that he doesnt have to be a front and centre guy... so in regard to these 2 guys it can be argued either way, it all depends on what kind of character of player vs offensive presence you want
same thing could be said for comrie

i let you get away with ribeiro because he has not established himself yet as a 1st line, and also he is playing 2nd line right now and koivu has taken over some of the offensive stats that would belong to ribeiro

also on staal, maybe you are right that its a bit early for him to fill a 1st line centre, or maybe not, personally i think he is ready especially on a team like carolina... we will have to wait and see

Old
10-22-2005, 03:12 AM
MS

Quote:

lets take a look

Wow.

Of those guys/teams, I agree on:

- Toronto/Sundin
- Philly/Forsberg
- Ottawa/Spezza
- Boston/Thornton
- TB/Lecavalier or Richards
- Colorado/Sakic
- Dallas/Modano (if he has indeed returned to his pre-2003 form)
- Anaheim/Fedorov
- Pittsburgh/Crosby (maybe)

I'd put Morrison in the same class as:

-Montreal/Koivu
-Detroit/Datsyuk (over-rated creampuff/choke artist)
-NYI/Yashin
-SJ/Marleau
-Florida/Jokinen
-Carolina/Staal (he doesn't pass Morrison yet based on 5 or 6 games)
-Atlanta/Savard (Savard a bit better offensively, Morrison superior overall)

Completely disagree on:

- Washington (Malkin is a Penguin prospect)
- Phoenix/Comrie (Comrie couldn't carry Morrison's jockstrap)
- LA/Demitra (he plays wing ... their #1 center is Craig Conroy)
- Minnesota/Rolston or whoever
- NYR/Straka (are you kidding?)

... that puts Morrison somewhere between #10-15 out of 30 #1 centers. To say he'd be a #2 center on 25 teams is a complete joke.

Old
10-22-2005, 03:18 AM
orcatown

Good post and I agree. Morrison is a very marginal first line center. Great skater but hasn't got the strenght on the puck to control the puck and dish it around. Very good at jumping into the play and creating out-manned situations with his speed. Goes hard both ways but has trouble controlling big centers in his own end. Morrison is a great #2 because of his speed and quickness.

However into today's NHL it is very hard to be covered off in every postion. Canucks have strenght at other positions and have to give a bit in the area of having a top flight #1 center. I would say Morrison is better than some on your list for the Canucks situation since Morrison can cover back for Naslund and Bertuzzi better than some you have included. For example guys like Jokinin, Comrie and Demitra. These players may have better offensive upside but tend to skate thenselves out of the play. Naslund and Bertuzzi need some one who will give up some offense to protect them defensively. Anyhow that's my opinion..

Old
10-22-2005, 03:42 AM
Zaddik

Send a message via MSN to Zaddik
so in an earlier thread i get blasted for mo being a second liner and now there's a thread with many people conceding the fact that he is a second liner?

Old
10-22-2005, 04:04 AM
CaptNukie83

Morrison always was viewed as 2nd liner by those who watch hockey.
Having him as our primary 1st line center speaks much of our problem in the middle.
there are alot of star first line centers in NHL.
Mo's playmaking ability is somewhat behind those guys for sure.
But lets face the reality. Is he better than some? maybe.
is he a good fit between bertuzzi and naslund? yes
is 3.2 mil an okay salary ? yes even though he was slightly overpaid.
is there alternative **AVAILABLE** or significant need for upgrade to replace him? doens't look like it at this point.

The question this thread and any other thread regarding Morrison is this- would i rather have a guy like Spezza, Richards, Lecavlier, Lang, Thornton, Fedorov, Demitra, Sakic, Forsberg, and etc? Without a doubt!

so in a thread like this, where we rate a player i think anybody who watched hockey enough other than his own teams' games, should agree that morrison is not somebody u wanna rely on as the primary go-to center for playmaker.
a Great material for 2nd line center though!

but yea, in reality, the chances are 1. we can't afford alternative 2. MOrrison is indeed better than some guys 3. there isn't another center who is better than him that is available 4. u can not ignore the chemistry between the three.

Is morrison a star 1st line center? no.
Is morrison the best player available under budget and with chemistry to man the WCE? YES!

Last edited by CaptNukie83: 10-22-2005 at 04:12 AM.
Old
10-22-2005, 08:43 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Morrison is not an elite 1st liner... he's an elite 2nd liner, but that doesn't mean anything... he is a 1st liner in the NHL though.

orcatown touched base on this already... you can not have 2 elite wingers and an elite 1st line center on your team (and still expect to lineup a good/deep overall team)... NHL economics don't allow for that anymore...

But in the NHL today, as it is, Morrison is a 1st line center.... there are obviously better 1st liners out there - whether that's 15 or 20 or whatever, it's not 30. And you have balance that with other forwards. Are there 15 better 1st line left wingers in the league? Right now there probably are 10 better right wingers, but Bert is being paid according to his production from 2 seasons ago, and at that point there weren't 10 better 1st line RW in the game.

So what's the point in this thread? to affirm that Mo isn't an elite center - is it really necessary to create a thread to talk about that? we all know that.

but if it's to say that he's not a 1st liner at all, you guys need to take a closer look at the NHL first.

Mo is about as perfect a fit for this team as we can get as well... for that money, can you get a better fit on the WCE? find a better 2-way center, that is making that kind of money on their standard (past rookie or sopohomore) contracts... there are some, but not many.

Fans all want all-stars at every position... that's not realistic... it's also not realistic to say that guy like Morrison is not a 1st line center in the NHL.

This is the same argument we had a while back here... and what gets missed by people is that they need to equate 1st line status with star status... that's not the case. if it was, then half the teams in the league wouldn't have a 1st line center, or 1st line winger, etc...

personally, I'm happy with Mo. He's been struggling a bit recently, but all players go through slumps. But he's strong defensively, he's always better in bigger games, and always raises his play in the playoffs... he compliments the top 2 perfectly as well - has speed to burn, and is a good passer/ shooter, and is defenisvely solid... he's also our current iron-man, which kinda disputes any arguments about him being not big enough to play that role. He handles punishment well - and bounces back quickly - whether it's a hard hit, or a jaw break - where he ended up getting fitted for a mask and came back out without missing more than a shift! The guy is durable.

Of course I'd rather have Sakic... or Forsberg... or any of the other from the list of elite 1st line centers... but among the average 1st line centers in the game - considering the $$ issue, this is the only list we can pick from, Morrison is as good as any of them, if not better... and he's a proven asset on this team.

Anyone that would rather have guys like Savard, Ribeiro or Comrie as our #1 center, doesn't watch these guys enough... they won't be able to replace Morrison on our team. And in the playoffs, I'd take a guy like Morrison any day of the week.

If this team wants to upgrade from Morrison, then they have to downgrade (in salary spot at least) from Bertuzzi or Naslund.... you can't have both...

and if anyone wants to argue that only elite 1st liners should be considered 1st line centers... that's an argument we'll just have to argee to disagree on.

Old
10-22-2005, 12:06 PM
LaVal

I really can't understand people's absurd expectations of a 1st line center. Morrison is a 1st line center in this league. He plays on a top line and produces there. There's nothing more he has to achieve to be considered a top-30 center.

People assume he's a leech, but lets look at some facts. He had 6 less points playing with Cooke and Schaefer on the 3rd line than playing with Naslund and Bertuzzi on the 1st. Obviously he wasn't leeching off near rookies Cooke and Schaefer. He had his best performance of the season when Bertuzzi was suspended. Now obviously Bertuzzi is a much better offensive performer than Cooke and Rucinsky.

Sure, perhaps if he was traded to a team that he wasn't playing a defensive conscience for 2 of the best offensive performers in the league, and wasn't the 3rd or 4th fiddle offensive weapon, he would prove himself to be more of a 2nd liner. But there's just as much chance he'll prove himself to be more of 1st line center than ever before.

As NFinTO already mentioned, there's no denying he's a 1st line center, however that's not saying he's an elite player or that there isn't several others better.

Old
10-22-2005, 12:53 PM
express

I was under the impression that Nedved was Phoenix's #1 Centre, not Comrie

Old
10-22-2005, 01:07 PM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
I agree with LaVal. He's a first line center. For one, he plays on the first line. Check. He is a centerman. Check. He always produces there. Check. He is the perfect compliment to his wingers both in play making and defense.

Old
10-22-2005, 01:55 PM
Canucks-R-best

thats what i was saying...he might not be a first liner on another team but he is on ours.....for now...if Hank keeps on improving or if we ever draft a decent skilled centre who can take over. Ya maybe some players would be a better fit but those guys' teams would never let them go.

Old
10-22-2005, 01:56 PM
Canucks-R-best

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopelFan
I agree with LaVal. He's a first line center. For one, he plays on the first line. Check. He is a centerman. Check. He always produces there. Check. He is the perfect compliment to his wingers both in play making and defense.
post 6666 is that u Miroslav??

Old
10-22-2005, 03:47 PM
RingWraith

Morrison is more of a playmaking, defensive centre than the super-scorer type that everyone for some reason thinks is a pre-requisite for a first liner at his position. Given the players on his wings, Brendan's style is more fitting. The Canucks have two mega scorers on their first line wings, something that not many teams have, thus shoving a Thornton or the like inbetween would be a poor economic move. We don't need an elite centreman when we have two potentially elite wingers.

Old
10-22-2005, 04:01 PM
canucks666

Quote:

lets take a look

mike comrie isn't even the first line center on his OWN team. Nedved is.

Get things right.

Out of the ones that you listed him, there is no way he is behind:

rolston, straka, savard, and whoever's #1 in washington.

That's 5 players making 17 teams that Mo wouldn't be a #1 center on.

Certainly that's a lot but that's only two away from 15, and if it was 15, then all that shows is Brendan Morrison is a middle-of-the-pack first liner. And we already knew that. Ain't nothin wrong with that.

Closed Thread