HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Henrik back in goal

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-22-2005, 01:19 PM
  #26
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,085
vCash: 500
The point is that there are some of us who arn't about to scrab the rebuild just because the rangers had a nice start. If you go back over the last couple of seasons you'll notice that the team has started off fast only to fade later in the season. This isn't a big enough sample size to determine how good the team is going to be this year. And even if it was that doesn't meen the rangers should start operating like a veteran win now team, they're not (atleast that's what we've been lead to beleive.) Development should atleast go hand in hand with winning, and in my veiw it should be more important.

xander is offline  
Old
10-22-2005, 01:33 PM
  #27
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander
The point is that there are some of us who arn't about to scrab the rebuild just because the rangers had a nice start. If you go back over the last couple of seasons you'll notice that the team has started off fast only to fade later in the season. This isn't a big enough sample size to determine how good the team is going to be this year. And even if it was that doesn't meen the rangers should start operating like a veteran win now team, they're not (atleast that's what we've been lead to beleive.) Development should atleast go hand in hand with winning, and in my veiw it should be more important.
okay, so if things were the same, same roster and same results as now in about half way into the season...you'd say the Rangers scrapped the rebuild because of winning? This IS a rebuilding team. There's no reason to correlate winning with rebuilding. What matters is at this point of the rebuild we have one top 2 liner gotten thru trade in Hossa, one waiting in the wings Prucha, and the rest of the youth are on the 3rd and 4th lines. But that's because thats all we have. Nobody's being stifled, they just aren't ready. we've got a stud goalie in Lundqvist and two dmen. As much as you say we aren't rebuilding, we sure are.

Anthony Mauro is offline  
Old
10-22-2005, 01:54 PM
  #28
Firefly
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mohawk Valley
Country: Poland
Posts: 3,464
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
No, the Rangers did not ruin him. However, not playing him for weeks on end, then playing him in what, 18 straight games and then promptly benching him again was no way to "develop".
Not the ideal way no. But he was in no way ruined by it. His "ruination" (as we all know) was a total fluke.

He was actually doing quite well if I recall...this of couse is taking into consideration the team he was backstopping decided not to show up for 75% of the season.

Firefly is offline  
Old
10-22-2005, 01:58 PM
  #29
NYRGoalieGlut*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander
The point is that there are some of us who arn't about to scrab the rebuild just because the rangers had a nice start. If you go back over the last couple of seasons you'll notice that the team has started off fast only to fade later in the season. This isn't a big enough sample size to determine how good the team is going to be this year. And even if it was that doesn't meen the rangers should start operating like a veteran win now team, they're not (atleast that's what we've been lead to beleive.) Development should atleast go hand in hand with winning, and in my veiw it should be more important.
Well this year's start when we were 3-1-2 was the best start we had since 95-96, we must not have started that quickly. This is a different team. Besides no one is saying that Rangers WILL make the playoffs, just not that they definately won't. Oh and who's operating like a veteran team and who said anything about operating like a veteran team? Starting a younger goalie who's hot is operating like a veteran team? Besides we didn't need to higher a coach is we didn't want to win. I mean the coach ALWAYS wants to win especially when we have a chance to do something still.

NYRGoalieGlut* is offline  
Old
10-22-2005, 02:00 PM
  #30
Firefly
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mohawk Valley
Country: Poland
Posts: 3,464
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander
The point is that there are some of us who arn't about to scrab the rebuild just because the rangers had a nice start. If you go back over the last couple of seasons you'll notice that the team has started off fast only to fade later in the season. This isn't a big enough sample size to determine how good the team is going to be this year. And even if it was that doesn't meen the rangers should start operating like a veteran win now team, they're not (atleast that's what we've been lead to beleive.) Development should atleast go hand in hand with winning, and in my veiw it should be more important.
I think there's a big disconnect going on here. I honestly don't see anyone here advocating killing the rebuild and gunning for the playoffs based on 9 games. Not at all. That's just silly.

But are we wrong to be excited with the results so far? The vets are showing up and playing, the kids are showing up and playing, the goalies (for the most part) and showing up and playing. The result? The team is hustilng its *** off and it's paying off. Success and winning breeds excitement, plain and simple. Besides the disappointment of some losses, I see no reason not to be excited right now. Everyone is playing relatively well, and the team has gone beyond most people's expectations. And some of us are happy about that.

But there's a HUGE difference between that and shifting to the mindset of a playoff push. We can be excited as hell about what's happening right now but I'd say most of us know it can all fall down at a moments notice. Personally I am taking what I can get while I can get it, especially after 7 years of garbage play and a year of lockout!

Firefly is offline  
Old
10-22-2005, 02:14 PM
  #31
NYRGoalieGlut*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly
I think there's a big disconnect going on here. I honestly don't see anyone here advocating killing the rebuild and gunning for the playoffs based on 9 games. Not at all. That's just silly.

But are we wrong to be excited with the results so far? The vets are showing up and playing, the kids are showing up and playing, the goalies (for the most part) and showing up and playing. The result? The team is hustilng its *** off and it's paying off. Success and winning breeds excitement, plain and simple. Besides the disappointment of some losses, I see no reason not to be excited right now. Everyone is playing relatively well, and the team has gone beyond most people's expectations. And some of us are happy about that.

But there's a HUGE difference between that and shifting to the mindset of a playoff push. We can be excited as hell about what's happening right now but I'd say most of us know it can all fall down at a moments notice. Personally I am taking what I can get while I can get it, especially after 7 years of garbage play and a year of lockout!

Firefly, you're just talking nonsense. I mean everyone knows that the Rangers suck and 100% won't make the playoffs. I mean how could they make them they're on such a horrible losing streak of blowout losses. I mean 2 games, losing by a goal. Terrible, terrible stuff. No good team has ever lost 2 games in a row. That's just unheard of!

NYRGoalieGlut* is offline  
Old
10-22-2005, 02:29 PM
  #32
Edge
Kris King's Ghost
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Amish Paradise
Country: United States
Posts: 13,818
vCash: 500
At this point you have to balance development without disconnecting from one of your goalies.

Renney did that and the team lost, there are no gurantees Henrik would have won.

Henrik is back in tonight and the better he plays, Renney is showing he won't hesitate to give him more.

Maybe this team makes the playoffs, maybe it doesn't.

Weekes hadn't played hockey in a while and Renney felt it would be good to give him a shot, Weekes happened to lose, so Lundqvist is back in there.

Hot or not, great start or not, the best thing for Lundqvist is start out slow.

And right now Renney is doing the right thing, he's worrying about right now and not April. If this team is looking at April 10 games into a season and in the start of a rebuild than they're is no way in hell they can do it right. As the other thread, we need to stop getting hyper active about this stuff.

Edge is offline  
Old
10-22-2005, 02:49 PM
  #33
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,011
vCash: 500
There's a bit of an enigma here. Weekes is the no. 1 but Lundqvist to my eyes anyway is already the better goalie. He even seems better at things that you would expect Weekes to have a clear advantage on--such as puck handling and passing. That being said I also think that we don't want to overplay him--and that
especially now at the beginning of the season. Let them at least split the games for a while.

eco's bones is online now  
Old
10-22-2005, 03:33 PM
  #34
RushingRocket
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 198
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RushingRocket Send a message via Yahoo to RushingRocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones
There's a bit of an enigma here. Weekes is the no. 1 but Lundqvist to my eyes anyway is already the better goalie. He even seems better at things that you would expect Weekes to have a clear advantage on--such as puck handling and passing. That being said I also think that we don't want to overplay him--and that
especially now at the beginning of the season. Let them at least split the games for a while.
Agreed.

This isn't a terrible predicament to have. Minnesota has successfully balanced two goalies for a while, and both Roloson and Fernandez are deserving of 30 games...is Weekes? I think so. When he was fighting Irbe for the spot in Carolina, he was ridiculously good, granted it was a hot streak, but he showed he deserved the number 1 there.

Lundqvist is young, he doesn't NEED to be a No. 1 right now, its not going to hurt his confidence. We don't have two stud goalies, but we do have a 1 and a 1a. No use wearing either out, neither are sieves.

Lets not judge Weekes on 240 minutes of hockey, and lets all agree that Lundqvist's development isn't going to be hurt by playing 25-35 games this season, in fact, he might even be better for it.

RushingRocket is offline  
Old
10-22-2005, 04:44 PM
  #35
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej's Dance
okay, so if things were the same, same roster and same results as now in about half way into the season...you'd say the Rangers scrapped the rebuild because of winning? This IS a rebuilding team. There's no reason to correlate winning with rebuilding. What matters is at this point of the rebuild we have one top 2 liner gotten thru trade in Hossa, one waiting in the wings Prucha, and the rest of the youth are on the 3rd and 4th lines. But that's because thats all we have. Nobody's being stifled, they just aren't ready. we've got a stud goalie in Lundqvist and two dmen. As much as you say we aren't rebuilding, we sure are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRGoalieGlut
Well this year's start when we were 3-1-2 was the best start we had since 95-96, we must not have started that quickly. This is a different team. Besides no one is saying that Rangers WILL make the playoffs, just not that they definately won't. Oh and who's operating like a veteran team and who said anything about operating like a veteran team? Starting a younger goalie who's hot is operating like a veteran team? Besides we didn't need to higher a coach is we didn't want to win. I mean the coach ALWAYS wants to win especially when we have a chance to do something still.
What I ment by acting like a veteran win now team is changing the focus from development to winning at all costs. In particular I'm reffering to how the team uses Lundqvist. A 'win now' attitude would be to say: Lundqvist has been the better goalie so we're gonna make him our #1.
If you take this course of action you run the risk of putting too much preassure on a young goalie who's only an 8th of the way into his first NHL season. If you make the decision to start Lundqvist because you think he gives you the better chance to win then your shifting your focus from development to winning now, and I think that would be a mistake.

On the other hand, if you made the decision to split starts between weekes and lundqvist untill your sure that henrik can handle it then your making a development oriented decision.


Last edited by xander: 10-22-2005 at 05:54 PM.
xander is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.