HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: 10/22 New York Rangers @ Buffalo Sabres- 7:35pm

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2005, 01:30 AM
You 'Orns!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerSteve
We are a 1 line team, and so far it's proven right. Buffalo out worked us tonight and unless the goals are coming from Jagr or Rucinsky we're going to have problems. At least these guys are still moving their feet and trying as best as possible to come back unlike the old regime.

The 5 on 3 power play was disgusting. This team is very easy to predict at the moment as well. As soon as a forward carries teh puck into the offensive zone, they simply curl back and look for a point man or make a horizontal pass in attemp to an open man. Any good defenensive club will end up jumping on this mistake sooner or later.

Buffalo looked good tonight, and Miller looks like the real deal. Any BUF fans think that Biron's going to be shipped to Edmonton or Colorado? What about Norononen?
OK good point except for one thing: Jagr and Rosie play on different lines.

Old
10-23-2005, 01:53 AM
Choice

Just got back from the game. I didnt know Jagr had injured himself early. Thats a reasonable excuse for his play in this game because he was a non factor. When we went on that 5 on 3 in the 3rd i was ready to see Jagr rocket one in from the point just like those two vs. Florida. Jagr's penalty after that failed pp was awful. Just reached out and tripped the breaking out Sabre. ugh

That no goal call was total crap, but the way we played we didnt deserve to win this game. Unlike last week, Buffalo were getting to loose pucks and winning corner battles all night. Henrik made some amazing saves but that first 5hole goal wasnt pretty.
Ryan Miller had a very strong game on the other hand and was clearly the better goaltender, although he was not tested nearly as much as Henke. Miller is really solid. And Briere is nasty too.

This may be sacrilige here but i think i would have played poti over strudwick. The fact that he was scratched makes me think a trade is on the horizon. Our defensemen had a hard time breaking the puck out, and lord knows struds isnt the man for that job.

Poor outing by the Rangers.

Old
10-23-2005, 02:01 AM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice
This may be sacrilige here but i think i would have played poti over strudwick. The fact that he was scratched makes me think a trade is on the horizon. Our defensemen had a hard time breaking the puck out, and lord knows struds isnt the man for that job.
as was mentioned before in other threads poti was not the weak link in the losses to the islanders, kasper took some awful penalties and tyutin looked terrible in the 5-4 loss

strudwick didnt impress me at all tonite, but malik was awful, he was extremely slow, made a few bad passes and just seemed to be out of position a bit, he did use his body more than usual but id really look into upgrading the speed of our defense ie inserting pock and maybe getting a physical d-man

roszival, tyutin, kondratiev, and kasper will make their share of mistakes, that happens, but malik and strudwick looked very slow out there and even though poti has been better i still think hed be better on a west coast team

im curious as to what renney does for the next game, a must win

Old
10-23-2005, 02:02 AM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon
im curious as to what renney does for the next game, a must win
I have hard time categorizing any game at this point as a must win, but this losing streak cant snowball.

Old
10-23-2005, 02:04 AM
Janerixon

this is a must win game, not for playoff reasons, just for the fact this team needs to turn it around and we cant hand another two points to the islanders, as it is they doubled their points for the season because they beat us twice, can we afford to hand them two more?

Old
10-23-2005, 04:39 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerSteve

Buffalo looked good tonight, and Miller looks like the real deal. Any BUF fans think that Biron's going to be shipped to Edmonton or Colorado? What about Norononen?
Okay, Sabres fan here...

First of all, you have nothing to be angry about, just like the Rangers this year, the Sabres have shown a lot of heart so far. Nothing to be angry about, I promise you your guys did much better at loose pucks than some other teams we played.
Buffalo rolls four lines, so Jagr's line was out there pretty much every time against rested players. I saw a few Rangers games so far, and I love Straka's play (not only the assists, but he draws a lot of penalties) and when he starts putting the puck in the net you guys will do even better.

Someone here was sceptical and said you had 4 wins in 10 games, and that OT losses shouldn't give you a point. Well, would you have really liked to have lost a point cos Jagr's stick broke in the SO against the Isles?
You deserved those points, or even more (Ryder's goal vs the Habs for example).

Buffalo is VERY underrated, only Ottawa beat them convincigly, and Florida won the game 1 minute before the end of the 3rd on a PP.

To answer your question, yes... Either Biron will be traded to a team in need of a #1 goalie , or Noronen to a team that needs a good backup. Lots of rumors, but nothing I'd bet on at this point.

And finally, I'm good with the win tonight, but thought you guys got screwed by the refs on a few occassions, not only the goal. Which really should have counted.

Being a Sabre fan I know how you feel (see: Hull's goal in game 6 of 99 Finals).

Old
10-23-2005, 04:55 AM
Peter The Great

Well... Lundqvist above 90 procent again though... or exactly 90,3 procent.

Only looking at the saving procentage it's an average game from him. Even though saving procentage doesn't tell the whole truth. Looks like he had some great saves but also a weak goal? (I didn't see the game)

Now I really want to see New York Rangers win though! Come on

It's early in the season but it looks like I have my favorit teams this year. From a swedish point of view that is!!!

1. Rangers/Flyers (Lundqvist, Mr Fancy (Nylander) / FORSBERG, Johnsson)
3. Red Wings (Zetterberg, Holmström, Franzen, Samuelsson, Lidstrom, Kronwall)
4. Canucks (the Sedin brothers are FINALLY showing their potential, Naslund & Ohlund strong as always).
5. Maple Leafs (but they never seem to get it right, bad luck with Sundins injury... I really like Sundin, Tellqvist may have his breakthrough year though because Belfour looks weak right now, I expect Telly to start next game)

Last edited by 21: 10-23-2005 at 05:25 AM.
Old
10-23-2005, 07:25 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Some of these posts are amusing. The next game is a MUST win? The Rangers are only a player or two from being a very good team? Under the NHL point tallying methods I grew up with, the Rangers would be 4-5-1, for 9 points, or just a shade under mediocrity, which is better than I expected for this team. Because this team actually showed a work ethic and some heart, which is what the majority of the other 29 teams have been doing all along, the fans somehow have illusions of grandeur. And, their sample was a total of seven games. Yeah, Ranger fans can handle rebuilding. For the most part, this team is playing true to form for what I expected. The defense is not very good, the offense is too reliant on Jagr and his satellites, and unless Lundqvist stands on his head, and is only very good, the Rangers will be outscored. But, there is plenty to like. Renney IS holding people accountable - in regards to Poti, well, gee, isn't it nice that a 28-year-old, who plays lousy, gets benched of the 22-year-old, unlike the mindset of years in the past. And, Niemenen and Hossa sat in the third period, while Moore and Prucha were on the ice when it mattered. My biggest complaint with Renney is his continued reliance on the Jagr line on the PP. Look at Buffalo's third goal - they got it to their best shot, Kotalik, for a blast from the point. Use Kondratiev in that manner. How about a big body like Betts, or a mucker like Ortmeyer in front of the net? And, after watching a waterbug like Briere just dart around the attacking zone, the Ranger PP looks SO predictable...just four guys looking to defer to Jagr, who Buffalo samrtly double-teamed. Why not let a Prucha or Moore use their creativity to open space? Other than that, after looking at the first ten games, the Rangers LOOK like what I expected...a non-playoff team.

Old
10-23-2005, 07:39 AM
eco's bones

I was impressed with the Sabres and their uptempo game--overall discipline (keeping the penalties down) and defensive awareness. They played a very good game. The Rangers were a little sloppy but I also think right now that they are a tired team. Nieminen did not play well. Three penalties is too many. Ward made a huge mistake on the Briere goal. Lundqvist was very good and with a little luck we could have stole a point.

Old
10-23-2005, 10:18 AM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
Some of these posts are amusing. The next game is a MUST win? The Rangers are only a player or two from being a very good team? Under the NHL point tallying methods I grew up with, the Rangers would be 4-5-1, for 9 points, or just a shade under mediocrity, which is better than I expected for this team. Because this team actually showed a work ethic and some heart, which is what the majority of the other 29 teams have been doing all along, the fans somehow have illusions of grandeur. And, their sample was a total of seven games. Yeah, Ranger fans can handle rebuilding. For the most part, this team is playing true to form for what I expected. The defense is not very good, the offense is too reliant on Jagr and his satellites, and unless Lundqvist stands on his head, and is only very good, the Rangers will be outscored. But, there is plenty to like. Renney IS holding people accountable - in regards to Poti, well, gee, isn't it nice that a 28-year-old, who plays lousy, gets benched of the 22-year-old, unlike the mindset of years in the past. And, Niemenen and Hossa sat in the third period, while Moore and Prucha were on the ice when it mattered. My biggest complaint with Renney is his continued reliance on the Jagr line on the PP. Look at Buffalo's third goal - they got it to their best shot, Kotalik, for a blast from the point. Use Kondratiev in that manner. How about a big body like Betts, or a mucker like Ortmeyer in front of the net? And, after watching a waterbug like Briere just dart around the attacking zone, the Ranger PP looks SO predictable...just four guys looking to defer to Jagr, who Buffalo samrtly double-teamed. Why not let a Prucha or Moore use their creativity to open space? Other than that, after looking at the first ten games, the Rangers LOOK like what I expected...a non-playoff team.
Jas
the next game is a must win, weve lost three in a row and weve gotten solid goaltending in two of those games, we just had a hard time scoring in that first islander game and in last nites game, what we hit three posts yesterday, missed countless open side of the net goals, and just have had a hard time finishing

we are on a bad slide, and yes we cannot afford to continue to hand points to the the islanders, if we were playing the devils or flyers, i dont think it would be such a big deal, but to hand 6 points to the islanders this early in the season really could be a disaster

No one said this team is a stanley cup contender, but this is a team that works hard and gets good goaltending from lundqvist, they are capable of making it into the playoffs if we can stay healthy, work hard all year long, avoid bad penalties, and learn to finish

my problem with renney's coaching isnt his reliance on the jagr line (rosie-nylander-jagr w/ straka on the point) for the powerplay, we have no other pure finishers except for maybe prucha (who isnt fully there yet), so obviously he is going to give that line alot of time, maybe he could break them up and put rucinsky on the 2nd line but hossa's play has dropped off and the only other guy we have w/ good hands is prucha so what else is he to do? that is an issue for sather to slove via trade

my problems would be our defense and lack of accountability for our defense, malik gets powerplay time? why he has no shot and is extremely slow, why do we have a stationary player who refuses to shoot on the point? roszival and tyutin get time, maybe its time we put kondratiev (who has a cannon of a shot) out there or even kasper who got pp time in pitt? why can't we call up a pock to run our point? whgy was poti benched last nite when he wasnt the culprit in the last two games?

also id like to see him argue a bit more with the refs on some of the BS calls we are getting he didnt do anything about the no goal, on some of the BS penalties id like to see him call a ref over and give him a piece of mind, there are just some things i cant udnerstand

its very easy and even clear for fans to see, i understand you have to have confidence in your guys but some of his decisions are odd

but ill stand by my claim the next game is a must win

Old
10-23-2005, 11:13 AM
True Blue

Was it just me or did it seem like the game was two-hand touch?

Old
10-23-2005, 12:05 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Was it just me or did it seem like the game was two-hand touch?
Im so tired of the lack of physical play in hockey right now. I'm becoming more and more disinterested in the game (this coming from one of the biggest hockey fans in the world, that's not a good thing for the NHL if you lose guys like me as a fan).

Old
10-23-2005, 12:36 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Sometimes i wonder...does anyone on this board really KNOW the game of hockey?
Some of the stuff here is just plain silly.

Old
10-23-2005, 12:54 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC
Sometimes i wonder...does anyone on this board really KNOW the game of hockey?
Some of the stuff here is just plain silly.
Feel much better now.

I always assumed I was the ONLY poster who didn't know the game of hockey.

Old
10-23-2005, 01:02 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
11 points right now is good for 6-10 positioning (we'll know better by Thursday when other teams catch up to the Rangers in terms of games played).
and?

that is way ahead of where we all thought they would be. what postion do you want the rangers to be in? (i know we all must want this team to struggle so we can get kessler even though 99% of the people that post have NEVER seen him play)

This team is young and they work hard. The have a balanced offense and the "yutes" are getting important minutes. (hey was the prucha that scored a late powerplay goal againts the islanders yes jar jar that was prucha!)

if the rangers keep playing like this they will make the playoffs.

this team is young and talented

Old
10-23-2005, 01:35 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
and?

that is way ahead of where we all thought they would be. what postion do you want the rangers to be in? (i know we all must want this team to struggle so we can get kessler even though 99% of the people that post have NEVER seen him play)
do you mean Phill Kessel?

Old
10-23-2005, 01:41 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
do you mean Phill Kessel?
Yes he does, Kessler is his nick name.

Old
10-23-2005, 02:01 PM
Fletch

SoS..

I'm just tempering your playoff enthusiasm - you seemingly have them making the playoffs, and I was just widening their position. This team does not have a balanced offensive attack - it's quite skewed towards Jagr, and even more skewed to the PP. That's not healthy. The team works hard - or I should say skates hard. That's well and good, but eventually you're going to want to see the hard work pay in terms of goals scored, as opposed to complete exhaustion. The Rangers came out of the gate quickly - seemingly ahead of the 'penalty' curve and that's been the different (they PP goals vs. those scored against - which is somewhat correlated to PP chances vs. PP chances against). That trend will not continue and the Rangers will need to find ways to compete at even strength. It's nice to skate up and down and get shots on or near goal. But that's not going to get the wins. If the Rangers continue like this, the playoffs will be tough.

Old
10-23-2005, 02:11 PM
KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
I'm just tempering your playoff enthusiasm - you seemingly have them making the playoffs, and I was just widening their position. This team does not have a balanced offensive attack - it's quite skewed towards Jagr, and even more skewed to the PP. That's not healthy. The team works hard - or I should say skates hard. That's well and good, but eventually you're going to want to see the hard work pay in terms of goals scored, as opposed to complete exhaustion. The Rangers came out of the gate quickly - seemingly ahead of the 'penalty' curve and that's been the different (they PP goals vs. those scored against - which is somewhat correlated to PP chances vs. PP chances against). That trend will not continue and the Rangers will need to find ways to compete at even strength. It's nice to skate up and down and get shots on or near goal. But that's not going to get the wins. If the Rangers continue like this, the playoffs will be tough.

yep true this team is not going to the playoffs, not because lack of effort but because of lack of talent.

Closed Thread