HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stars\Preds GDT

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2003, 06:35 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Stars\Preds GDT

I'm thinking Erat plays, Fiddler is scratched tonight. I like our chances at home against the stars...if nothing else...based on history alone. I'll miss the first hour of the game due to work...but believe me...i'll be breaking the law the whole way home to get there as fast as i can

Old
10-11-2003, 08:44 AM
PredsMan

I disagree...I think there will be NO line-up changes tonite.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Erat won't play, until we lose.

Old
10-11-2003, 09:33 AM
DocMcKay

I tend to agree. It's still a little bit early in the season to begin to tinker with the lineup, especially after a 3-1 win against a good ducks team. But the Stars have more offensive weapons then those same ducks. So you never know. Should be an interesting game.

PS Federov is overpaid and is 1% of the reason why the NHL is facing a lockout.

Old
10-11-2003, 09:41 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMcKay
I tend to agree. It's still a little bit early in the season to begin to tinker with the lineup, especially after a 3-1 win against a good ducks team. But the Stars have more offensive weapons then those same ducks. So you never know. Should be an interesting game.

PS Federov is overpaid and is 1% of the reason why the NHL is facing a lockout.
On paper, there's no position even close in the Preds favor, on the ice, the Stars have nothing on the Preds..

I'd seriously rather play the Wings or Avs then the Preds, no team in the NHL has the Stars number like the Preds.

Old
10-11-2003, 11:06 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Nashville will continue the good team play and passing, Vokoun gets a shutout, standing on his head. 2-0 final.

Old
10-11-2003, 01:24 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
On paper, there's no position even close in the Preds favor, on the ice, the Stars have nothing on the Preds..

I'd seriously rather play the Wings or Avs then the Preds, no team in the NHL has the Stars number like the Preds.
Alot of that had to do with the fact that you caught us in the midst of the hot streak AND Legwand was playing superb defensive hockey and giving Modano fits. We'll have to be hot AND Legwand will have to be sharp both offensively and defensively if we are going to win.

Old
10-11-2003, 04:23 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Zidlicky ties it up!!!

Old
10-11-2003, 05:46 PM
SmokeyClause

Quick thoughts, Hamhuis was crosschecked and semi-hooked, and it lead to Mettinen's goal. As York said in a postgame interview, it could have easily been called. Any time an infraction leads to a direct scoring chance, you have to call it, and the refs failed.

Then, the penalty on Fiddler was an ole' 2 percenter. It's one of those plays that happens 50 times a game but is only called once. Unfortunately, they decided to call it on us. Modano with a wonderful blast.

Then, the quick whistle negating a PP goal that would have closed the gap 3-2. It's as if the officials made calls (or no calls) in an effort to crush our spirit. They all came at the worst possible times.

I don't want to sound like sour grapes because Dallas was the better team in both the 1st and the 3rd and won accordingly. It's just the BOD (benefit of the doubt) calls that bug me. Players like Guerin and Arnott can ice-ski our players for yards and get nothing. Both teams got away with too much which is a shame because we don't thrive when they let things go.

Mettinen did have a great move even if the breakaway was ill-got. And Zubov played great.

Zidlicky looked good, though I think he pinched and got caught in the Mettinen goal.

Vokoun looked real good, and if he had the team that Turco did, I think he would put up superior numbers. Turco lost the puck several times, and a bad bounce or two would have swung the game. He's really good with the puck but he's not a smart player. He makes a lot of fancy moves with the puck that leave you thinking "is this guy all there?" He makes plays with high risk factor and you ask yourself, does the reward outway the risk, and the answer is invariably no. Several times he made the fancy play instead of the smart play. The outcome would have been the same either way but there would have been no chance of a major scewup.

Oh and that last goal (I mean no goal) was typical NHL officiating. It happens to any team, but it's pathetic nonetheless. The NFL teaches their officials not to blow the quick whistle and ruin a play. It was a goal, plain and simple but was ruined by poor officiating.

Congrats to Dallas. I thought they played the better hockey game and the better team won.

Old
10-11-2003, 08:24 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause

Congrats to Dallas. I thought they played the better hockey game and the better team won.
I totally disagree. I think the Preds were by far the better team. Did we watch the same first period? Other than the goal, which is off a direct turnover by Legwand * who was terrible tonight*, they did nothing the entire period. I was at the game, and I cannot express the frustration I felt. Good God, we let Turco close line our players and go after them. I only wish that Tootoo could have done the number on Turco that he did on Matvichuk.....

Bottomline in my opinion: The refs gave the game to the Stars. I was fully convinced the game was headed into overtime, until the bs no call, which led to the Mietten breakaway. On a side note, Miet. had one of the finest breakaway goals I've seen in awhile...just pretty. Then the following, call against the Preds that led to the Modano PP goal. It was just chincy, and ridiculous considering the Stars were clutching and cross checking us the whole entire game. To cap it off, the no-goal call was laughable. Why they blew the whistle, I still do not know. The original shot was blocked and we got the rebound and jammed it at Turco. In less than a nanosecond, the whistle was blown, and the puck was clearly in the net. The refs didn't even give the puck the chance to cross the goalline, it was almost an immeadiate whistle.....and Turco never even had control over it. Just very bad officiating all night long. Guerin was all over our guys tonight and got what seemed like 8 or 9 PIMS. Sure I'm a little bias, but I've never been so upset by the calls/non-calls these referees made...

Final thought, Turco actually went after either Tootoo or Hartnell at the end of the game. I wasn't sure which guy he was hitting, as they were busy pummeling the Stars. Zidlicky was restraining him......restraining him.....WHY! Zid's, should have gave Turco what he had been asking for all night.....Tootoo absolutely demolished somone at the endo of the game, Matvichuk I believe. He really showed some heart and the whole stadium gave him a big standing O.

Anyways, the Preds are much improved this year. We have heart, and I expect us to have a great year.

Old
10-12-2003, 04:35 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
I totally disagree. I think the Preds were by far the better team. Did we watch the same first period? Other than the goal, which is off a direct turnover by Legwand * who was terrible tonight*, they did nothing the entire period.
WOW, this is completely wrong Enoch. The 'Legwand' turnover wasn't his fault. It was a horrid pass from I think York that was around 6-10 feet behind him and by the time Legwand had figured out where it was coming off the board, the Dallas Dman, who realized it was poor jumped in and put it back into the zone. That was NOT Legwand's fault. He played OK but failed to pull the trigger on several occasions when he had prime chances.

Old
10-12-2003, 05:12 AM
Epoch

That game was crazy! Turco actually fighting?! He seemed happy to punch Tootoo when he was on the ground,even though his fight was with Hartnell...

Old
10-12-2003, 05:48 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Wait for the next game against them. I wonder if Turco will even play.

Old
10-12-2003, 06:27 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
WOW, this is completely wrong Enoch. The 'Legwand' turnover wasn't his fault. It was a horrid pass from I think York that was around 6-10 feet behind him and by the time Legwand had figured out where it was coming off the board, the Dallas Dman, who realized it was poor jumped in and put it back into the zone. That was NOT Legwand's fault. He played OK but failed to pull the trigger on several occasions when he had prime chances.
I know that the pass was bad, but I still credited the turnover to Legwand. I felt like he was way off his game last night. Another player that looked really shaky to me was Eaton. I seemed to be standing around a little to much. JMOs. I thought Timmonen was one of the best players on the ice though. Modano's one-timer was wicked....as well.

Old
10-12-2003, 06:28 AM
Colorado_Starsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
Wait for the next game against them. I wonder if Turco will even play.
Considering that TooToo (what a PANSY name) was punching Matvichuk in the BACK of the head while Matty was fighting someone else, I'm GLAD Turco jumped in and kicked his but. As for Hartnell, when you run the goaltender at the end of the game, the defensemen are going to come and kick your butt.

That was really brave of them, with 6 guys on the ice compared to 3 for the Stars. You lost, get over it. Even though the whistle sounded inadvertantly on the "no-goal" you wouldn't have been able to tie it up anyway, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Hartnell and Turco will probably both get fined and suspended by the League.

Old
10-12-2003, 06:31 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I'll further say that the referees were bad all over the ice tonight regardless of team, although I did feel like the Stars got the better end of the deal many times. We had 6 guys on the ice for about 15 - 20 seconds at one point. One of the Stars laid a nice hit on Timonen and he was left on the boards for a few moments, while a complete line came out. It was crazy.....we also got away with a hook on Lehtinen at the end of the game that prevented an EN goal..

Old
10-12-2003, 06:34 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Starsfan
Considering that TooToo (what a PANSY name) was punching Matvichuk in the BACK of the head while Matty was fighting someone else, I'm GLAD Turco jumped in and kicked his but. As for Hartnell, when you run the goaltender at the end of the game, the defensemen are going to come and kick your butt.

That was really brave of them, with 6 guys on the ice compared to 3 for the Stars. You lost, get over it. Even though the whistle sounded inadvertantly on the "no-goal" you wouldn't have been able to tie it up anyway, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Hartnell and Turco will probably both get fined and suspended by the League.
You clearly did not see what happened......Turco was going out of the net to hit Hartnell with his stick. After the second hit, Hartnell knocked him down, and rightfully so. Turco acted like a flamer last night. He was going out of his way to hit our players....and if you want to call our teamates not "brave", I believe it was 2 Dallas defenders that went after Hartnell after he pushed Turco down. Tootoo came in to help. What do you expect, Hartnell to take on Bocher, Matvichuk, and Turco at the same time.....get real .

Also the game changes when a goal is scored. Suddenly the game is reachable. We still had almost 2 full minutes of power play when we scored that goal........you better believe we would have been able to tie it up

Old
10-12-2003, 09:40 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

So, the definition of 'brave' is a goaltender, covered with pads and a full face cage hacking a forward on the neck, the back, then throwing an elbow at his face, not to mention clothes-lining a forward rushing towards the goal. I'll have to revise my dictionary.

As far as the game's outcome, the Preds were kept in the game by Vokoun standing on his head in the first period. Dallas has way more veteran skilled players right now, not to mention axe-hacking Guerin, who doesnt't even spare teammates from his abuse.

No matter who he is or plays for, I think it is inexcusable for a goalie to play like Turco did last night. His penalty was inadequate for the danger his tactics posed. Wait until somebody plows into him after being mauled like that and Stars fans will be up in arms about it.

Old
10-12-2003, 11:41 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Modano's one-timer was wicked
For the record, *that's* what I consider a one-timer. And Modano has many goals identical to that.

Old
10-12-2003, 11:57 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I hope Hartnell really runs Turco next time, or Brookbank or McKenzie or Allison.

Old
10-12-2003, 12:04 PM
Colorado_Starsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
I hope Hartnell really runs Turco next time, or Brookbank or McKenzie or Allison.
If Hartnell is really dumb enough to try, Turco's teammates will take care of the situation. And Turco may take care of it himself.

Old
10-12-2003, 12:09 PM
dulzhok

Some thoughts:

-- My biggest concern is attendance. It was 11,000 something last night (# of tickets sold that is). This was the 2nd game of the season, after coming off very exciting home-opener. In addition, it's Saturday night game. In addition, we were playing on of the most known teams in the NHL. I'm just concerned what will happen when it's Tuesday night and we are playing the Carolina Hurricanes and we are coming off a poor stretch. Hopefully things will pick up after baseball and foootball end, but I'm not too optimistic about it.

-- I agree, Legwand was well below average last night. He had scoring opportunities, and he might as well have been Patrick Cote. He just couldn't make anything happen with them. In addition, he went 1 of 13 on faceoffs. That's just horrible. He was pretty horrible on faceoffs against ANA too. That's got to be worked on.

-- I thought Hartnell was the best player on the ice for us. He's still not getting "scoring ice time" but he's making things happen when he's out there. He made a beautiful pass to Timonen, and Kimmo almost got the goal.

-- Erat got 7 minutes of ice time, mainly with guys like Fiddler. Give the guy a chance. Even with the very limited ice time he got, he still made some things happen.

-- I've already expressed my displeasure with Guerin and Turco in another thread. I don't know that's I've ever been more pissed off at a player on another team.

Old
10-12-2003, 01:09 PM
RWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok
Some thoughts:

-- My biggest concern is attendance. It was 11,000 something last night (# of tickets sold that is). This was the 2nd game of the season, after coming off very exciting home-opener. In addition, it's Saturday night game. In addition, we were playing on of the most known teams in the NHL. I'm just concerned what will happen when it's Tuesday night and we are playing the Carolina Hurricanes and we are coming off a poor stretch. Hopefully things will pick up after baseball and foootball end, but I'm not too optimistic about it.
I'm not too worried. Two playoff games (since the Sox/Yanks didn't end until well after most people would have to leave to make the game) and a UT game were going on at the same time. Thats more than we normally have to compete with in the start of the season.

Not to say I wasn't disappointed with the turnout, but its at least understandable.

Old
10-12-2003, 01:27 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Starsfan
If Hartnell is really dumb enough to try, Turco's teammates will take care of the situation. And Turco may take care of it himself.

Old
10-12-2003, 01:29 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok
Some thoughts:

-- I agree, Legwand was well below average last night. He had scoring opportunities, and he might as well have been Patrick Cote. He just couldn't make anything happen with them. In addition, he went 1 of 13 on faceoffs. That's just horrible. He was pretty horrible on faceoffs against ANA too. That's got to be worked on.

-- I thought Hartnell was the best player on the ice for us. He's still not getting "scoring ice time" but he's making things happen when he's out there. He made a beautiful pass to Timonen, and Kimmo almost got the goal.

-- Erat got 7 minutes of ice time, mainly with guys like Fiddler. Give the guy a chance. Even with the very limited ice time he got, he still made some things happen.

-- I've already expressed my displeasure with Guerin and Turco in another thread. I don't know that's I've ever been more pissed off at a player on another team.
Have to agree, although I thought Timmonen was the best guy on the ice last night.

Old
10-12-2003, 02:01 PM
Radulov for Czar*

UT vs UGA, biggest game of UT's season, on ESPN 2.. that could be a reason.. (yes i was at the game, yes i cried when clausen fumbled at the end of the half. DAMN YOU CASEY CLAUSEN!)

Closed Thread