HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jason Doig

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2005, 01:48 PM
Steveorama

vCash: 50
Jason Doig

Friday night was the 5th game of Doig's 5 game Professional Try-Out contract with the Moose.
Doig has been playing 25 minutes a game, partially due to injuries to Bieksa, Skinner, Mojzis and Ryan. He has looked fairly good for the Moose. Engman suffered a bad shoulder injury and concussion in last night's game, his first as a Moose, too, so the Winnipeg d is very, very thin right now.
Canucks can either:

1) Sign Doig to a contract, but he would have to pass waivers, which I doubt he would, frankly. Or,
2) More likely, sign him to a Moose contract with a proviso that he would be our first call-up in the event of injury to any Canuck dman. The Canucks would then have to buy out his Moose contract and sign him to a new NHL deal (likely a 2-way deal).

Doig indicated he would probably know by today (Saturday) what would happen.

Old
10-22-2005, 01:52 PM
rival

vCash: 500
Could they sign him as an injury replacement for Bouck after their 10th game?

Old
10-22-2005, 02:06 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Doig isn't really needed. Baumgartner looks good and Bieksa should be the first call up

Old
10-22-2005, 02:11 PM
incawg

Personally I think Doig would be more useful than Brookbank.

Old
10-22-2005, 02:18 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by incawg
Personally I think Doig would be more useful than Brookbank.
Not saying much

Old
10-22-2005, 02:48 PM
incawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg
Not saying much
No, it doesn't say much for Doig's skills, but the point is that one is "playing" on our NHL roster whereas the other is on an AHL tryout contract. Seems backwards if you ask me. Honestly, if Brookbank doesn't suit up tonight, what's the point of even having him with the team? It's not like he's a useful injury replacement anyway.

Old
10-22-2005, 03:14 PM
BAuldie

Send a message via ICQ to BAuldie Send a message via MSN to BAuldie
Quote:
No, it doesn't say much for Doig's skills, but the point is that one is "playing" on our NHL roster whereas the other is on an AHL tryout contract. Seems backwards if you ask me. Honestly, if Brookbank doesn't suit up tonight, what's the point of even having him with the team? It's not like he's a useful injury replacement anyway.
There is no need for Brookbank tonight.. Colorado lacks a goon now.. I mean you could put him in there if a guy like May gets outta control but thats overkill.

Old
10-22-2005, 03:48 PM
incawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAuldie
There is no need for Brookbank tonight.. Colorado lacks a goon now.. I mean you could put him in there if a guy like May gets outta control but thats overkill.
The avs have both Shelly and May. If not against a divisional rival with huge amounts of bad blood between the teams, then when? Seriously, why is this guy on our roster if he's not going to play in a game like this. We'd be better off with a serviceable player like Doig occupying that spot if Brookbank is not going to play in a game like this, because fight is all he can do.

Old
10-22-2005, 03:49 PM
BAuldie

Send a message via ICQ to BAuldie Send a message via MSN to BAuldie
Quote:
The avs have both Shelly and May. If not against a divisional rival with huge amounts of bad blood between the teams, then when? Seriously, why is this guy on our roster if he's not going to play in a game like this. We'd be better off with a serviceable player like Doig occupying that spot if Brookbank is not going to play in a game like this, because fight is all he can do.
I wasn't aware of Shelley.. no one answered my question about that in the preview thread.. but i do totally agree with you.. Doig is far more serviceable than Brookbank and tough enough to do the job.

Old
10-22-2005, 03:49 PM
Eddie Vedder

Quote:
Have been saying this since september.

Old
10-22-2005, 04:00 PM
MS

Quote:
???

Shelley still plays for Columbus. May and Boughner are pretty much the extent of Colorado's toughness.

http://www.nhl.com/players/8462535.html

Brookbank is beyond useless. Half the teams in the conference don't carry a true enforcer, he's already sat for games vs. Minnesota and Edmonton, and will probably sit tonight. Having Doig or Josh Green on the roster would be much, much more useful.

Old
10-22-2005, 04:10 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
The avs have both Shelly and May.
Shelley?

Old
10-22-2005, 04:20 PM
Pangolin

No Shelly...
But Ian Laperriere is a tough fighter himself too...
I might be proved wrong tonight, but I don't think we'll see much of a blood bath...
All their emotional players were not here when the incident happened and it's just going to be a regular divisional game..

I also think May might not be up to fighting much after last night, if he's smart anyways. Rocky Thompson tried fighting 3 in 4 nights, nearly killed him...And he didn't really loose any of them as badly as May did.

Old
10-22-2005, 05:03 PM
incawg

Serves me right for trusting ESPN with any hockey-related information:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/teams/roster?team=col

Anyway, my point remains (just not quite as strongly ), and it's true that lappy/boughner can fight too.

Old
10-23-2005, 06:15 AM
Law Dawg

Doig is AHL quality filler. The Moose need the depth now, they could sign him and pass him through waivers pretty easily. If the Caps with their AHL quality blueline can afford to not give this guy a contract offer, the Canucks can sign him and stick him on the Moose blueline for the rest of the season. Good natural skills, just no hockey sense.

Old
10-23-2005, 06:32 AM
incawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law Dawg
If the Caps with their AHL quality blueline can afford to not give this guy a contract offer
That's not relevant; Doig and the Caps parted ways because of personal issues, not on-ice performance.

Closed Thread