HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Get used To It Anaheim

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2003, 08:24 AM
Heater15

vCash: 500
Get used To It Anaheim

Sergei Fedorov: -3 +/- rating --> solid defensive play on the Zubov goal
Vaclav Prospal: 1 SOG --> so nice to see him and Fedorov "EASILY" replacing Kariya and Oates
Rob Niedermayer: 1 goal, -3 +/- rating
JS Giguere: GAA 4.00, .818 Save % --> equipment restrictions come into effect and all of a sudden Giguere looks like a backup

My brother is a die-hard Habs fan and he himself said he never would have thought Theodore would have such a brutal season after a Hart and Vezina season. Giggy came off of an oversized equipment wearing Conn Smythe winning season - if you want a prediction for Giggy, refer to how Theodore played last season.

Him and Fedorov will try to hard and it wont work, there seasons will be mediocre at best. Prospal will have the last laugh - let's look at Alexander Daigle on this one - 1 good season he gets the money then he goes back to stinking out the joint until his next UFA season comes up.

Sure it's 1 game but I love it already. Hopefully the same will hapen to Detroit with Hasek and hammerhead Hatcher. I still wanna go back to the pre-season game this year against Ottawa where Hasek got schooled and Hatcher was watching Havlat in front of the net - the idiot didnt have a clue what was going on and it costed them a goal...which turned into a loss

Most of you missed the point about Hatcher watching Havlat. Hatcher was in front of the net supposed to be watching Hossa, who scored. Hatcher was to be taking Hossa out, instead he stood there like an idiot so he may as well have been watching Havlat. Thats 2 losses now for Anaheim, Fedorov only 1 point, a -2, Gerber got the nod while Giggy watched from the bench. Nice

Old
10-09-2003, 08:28 AM
Goulet17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heater15
Vaclav Prospal: 1 SOG --> so nice to see him and Fedorov "EASILY" replacing Kariya and Oates
JS Giguere: GAA 4.00, .818 Save % --> equipment restrictions come into effect and all of a sudden Giguere looks like a backup

My brother is a die-hard Habs fan and he himself said he never would have thought Theodore would have such a brutal season after a Hart and Vezina season. Giggy came off of an oversized equipment wearing Conn Smythe winning season - if you want a prediction for Giggy, refer to how Theodore played last season.

Him and Fedorov will try to hard and it wont work, there seasons will be mediocre at best. Prospal will have the last laugh - let's look at Alexander Daigle on this one - 1 good season he gets the money then he goes back to stinking out the joint until his next UFA season comes up.

Sure it's 1 game but I love it already. Hopefully the same will hapen to Detroit with Hasek and hammerhead Hatcher. I still wanna go back to the pre-season game this year against Ottawa where Hasek got schooled and Hatcher was watching Havlat in front of the net - the idiot didnt have a clue what was going on and it costed them a goal...which turned into a loss
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Havlat hasn't appeared in any Ottawa preseason games, as he is a contract holdout.

If you are going to flame, at least have the decency to know what you are talking about.

Old
10-09-2003, 08:31 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
While I won't necessarily disagree that Giguere might have a semi-letdown after last season, the route you took to that conclusion was laughable. If you are going by gut instinct on this one, just tell everyone. We aren't stupid, and we can see through ill-contrived reasoning.

Old
10-09-2003, 08:33 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Well if we are going to be judging by one game, Stu Barnes, Jeff Jillson, and Scott Niedermayer are all going to have 164 goals and the Devils and Bruins will set an NHL record with 82 ties.

Old
10-09-2003, 08:37 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn
Well if we are going to be judging by one game, Stu Barnes, Jeff Jillson, and Scott Niedermayer are all going to have 164 goals and the Devils and Bruins will set an NHL record with 82 ties.
Not only that, but most of the teams in the NHL won't even play this season

Old
10-09-2003, 08:49 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goulet17
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Havlat hasn't appeared in any Ottawa preseason games, as he is a contract holdout.

If you are going to flame, at least have the decency to know what you are talking about.

Excatly

Old
10-09-2003, 08:51 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn
Don't forget 82 shutouts for Thibault!

Old
10-09-2003, 08:53 AM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
or the 574 penalty minutes for guerin
Arankys would be so proud..

Old
10-09-2003, 08:54 AM
Radulov for Czar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
now THAT would be a record...

Old
10-09-2003, 08:54 AM
Heater15

You clowns never read all the way through do you? I knew some brain damaged bozo's would reply with crap like "Barnes is on pace for 162 goals".

THAT'S WHY I PUT "Sure it's 1 game but I love it already"

I can't stress enough the above comment, SURE IT"S 1 GAME!!!!!!!!!!

Old
10-09-2003, 09:00 AM
aylib
User and abuser

Send a message via Yahoo to aylib
Quote:
You clowns never read all the way through do you? I knew some brain damaged bozo's would reply with crap like "Barnes is on pace for 162 goals".

Your comment is only worth about 1/82 of a worthy one.

Old
10-09-2003, 09:01 AM
DarioinDenver

Quote:

I believe the lesson learned, is if you're going to be provocative expect the same in return.

No reason to insult everyone's intelligence with name calling either. Make your point and debate it.

Old
10-09-2003, 09:06 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:

If you really had taken that comment to heart you wouldn't have bothered posting this thread in the first place. You try and draw season long conclusions from one game and then tell us it's only one game? Why did you try and draw the conclusions then? Why did you basically write the Ducks, Federov, Prospal and Giguere off?

Practise what you preach my friend, you got some snarky replies because people read the hyprocrisy.

Old
10-09-2003, 09:08 AM
aylib
User and abuser

Send a message via Yahoo to aylib
Edit:delete.

Old
10-09-2003, 09:14 AM
Brodeur

Quote:

I think the "___ on pace for ____" comments are basically going to lampoon the obligatory overreacting after 1 game posts that will naturally appear.

Expect more after tonight when Free Agent X has a subpar debut game or when Rookie Y has a great first game.

Quote:
For the record, Giguere used a 36" pad last year which is still legal with the new regulations. Uninformed people assume that Giguere was using a 50" pad in the playoffs or something. If there's any beef with Giguere's equipment, it would be his chest protector and the NHL did not add any extra regulations on those in the offseason.

Old
10-09-2003, 09:30 AM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:

Did you even watch the game? Just curious. If you did you would see it wasnt "equipment restrictions" that had an effect on Giguere but the sloppiness of his defense. I'm not surprised however that after one subpar effort its the equipment issue brought out. The one thing that I love about your post is about how you draw conclusions about the Ducks after one game against one of the elite teams and conclusions about Detroit after one preseason game. I suppose Havlat had a big game that game to improve his contract negotiations when he didnt even play a preseason game.

Old
10-09-2003, 09:42 AM
X8oD

Check Out Fedorov's Bio on the Ducks Site

http://mightyducks.com/team/players_desc.asp?id=144

....lists playing with the Russian Five (Fedorov, Igor Larionov, Pavel Datsyuk, Maxim Kuznetsov, Dmitri Bykov) with the Detroit Red Wings as his greatest hockey memory.

some idiot heard this line, looked at the roster last year, and assumed thats what he ment.

Old
10-09-2003, 09:45 AM
M V Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur
If there's any beef with Giguere's equipment, it would be his chest protector and the NHL did not add any extra regulations on those in the offseason.
That's the crappy part. Of all the rules, I was hopin that one was going to be fixed... Though getting rid of the 5-hole protectors is a good start, the league's gotta do something about the mysterious equipment protecting the empty space to the sides of these guy's necks and heads.

Still trying to figure out what they're protecting over there....

Old
10-09-2003, 09:49 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD
Check Out Fedorov's Bio on the Ducks Site

http://mightyducks.com/team/players_desc.asp?id=144

....lists playing with the Russian Five (Fedorov, Igor Larionov, Pavel Datsyuk, Maxim Kuznetsov, Dmitri Bykov) with the Detroit Red Wings as his greatest hockey memory.

some idiot heard this line, looked at the roster last year, and assumed thats what he ment.

That's hilarious!

Old
10-09-2003, 09:55 AM
evildreams

vCash:
Quote:

let's see, that was game 1 of EIGHTY-TWO games; what a fruit.

Old
10-09-2003, 10:16 AM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by M V Pete
That's the crappy part. Of all the rules, I was hopin that one was going to be fixed... Though getting rid of the 5-hole protectors is a good start, the league's gotta do something about the mysterious equipment protecting the empty space to the sides of these guy's necks and heads.

Still trying to figure out what they're protecting over there....
I dunno, I play goalie, and good god, if a shot hits you in the wrong place above the waist........and I'm basically playing beer leagues here.

Roberto Luongo does make a good point, guys are getting bigger, shots are getting faster, and goalies themselves are getting physically larger nowadays, yet everybody wants to make goalie equipment smaller.

Easy solution: Make the nets bigger.........goalies' only complaint then would be crappier personal stats.

As for the mysterious area over the shoulder next to the head.....I guess if there's no rule against it, might as well go with it if it's comfortable.

Old
10-09-2003, 10:22 AM
ZadorovNJD*
go away fatso

If shots are getting that much harder, they should make the equiptment better, not bigger.

Old
10-09-2003, 10:58 AM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie
If shots are getting that much harder, they should make the equiptment better, not bigger.
Companies are trying to do just that, but try to take a 90 mph slap shot to chest sometime, or off the shoulder.....then you can understand it from a goalie's standpoint.

Old
10-09-2003, 11:18 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Off topic:
indeed and the equipment also has to be lightweight for the goalie to move in and not feel drained in
it can't absorb a lot of moisture and it mus be comfortable

the only thing that I can think to compare it with is bulletproof vest development, albeit on a lesser scale, but those vests are fairly heavy and although they stop the bullet they still don't absorb most of the energy

On topic:
I'm not going to even bother commenting
there are 81 other games and it's not like <insert your favorite team here> hasn't had a bad opener once or twice, especially after the shortest off-season in team history
BUT Atlanta wouldn't know anything about short off-seasons, would they, Heater15?

Old
10-09-2003, 11:22 AM
ZadorovNJD*
go away fatso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur
Companies are trying to do just that, but try to take a 90 mph slap shot to chest sometime, or off the shoulder.....then you can understand it from a goalie's standpoint.
I don't have a problem with shoulder pads that actually protect the goalie's shoulder...just all the stuff that sticks out in order to block a few more shots.

Closed Thread