HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

GDT: San Jose @ Nashville (Game 7) 7:00 CST 10/22

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2005, 06:06 AM
Pred303

vCash: 500
GDT: San Jose @ Nashville (Game 7) 7:00 CST 10/22

San Jose comes to town again. Watched them get pretty well hammered last night in CLB 4-1. Nabokov got run and is doubtful tonight. Toskala was shakey coming in (3 goals/15 shots), is 0-2 for the season now, having been pulled in his one start and has a gaa of an unbelievable 7.50 per game.. he's a much better goalie than those figues show, but if he goes we need to jump him and keep the guy struggling..
Marleau is their leading everything(4g/4a, but -4 already this year), but this team is only 1-4-1 on the road(2-0 at home)...and has given up 6 or more goals in three of those losses(the other was the loss to us)..they are 24th on the pp, 22nd on the pk, numbers that hopefully we can exploit

Injuries.. Markov missed practice yesterday(groin injury late in the STL game) and is questionable... Walker is listed as 'probable' with what are being called 'several nagging injuries'.. expect Allison in Markov's spot.. Gamache got the start against these guys opening night because of their speed, might well be in there tonight with a 4th line looking something like Erat(?)/Nichol/Gamache...with Stevenson either here or back on the 3rd LW.. i would expect hordichuk to get the scratch... if markov is half healthy and trotz wants limited time out of him, he could dress 7 dmen and scratch both hordy/gamache i suppose

Hartnell only pred with an ongoing scoring streak(3 games)

Detroit with a win last night of course(14 pts)..have to keep the pressure on them. Expect a large crowd.

Old
10-22-2005, 08:44 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Toskala may have looked bad last night, but he is, IMO, the better of the two goalies. While Nabokov is considered elite, I just think Vesa has much better positioning.

If Markov really can't go tonight, I am extremely worried about that defensive pairing...Eaton has been our worst defensemen thus far this year, and while he has been okay for a 4-6 type player.......I expect a lot more. If Allison is paired with him, his pairing is going to take a crap load of penalties. Do not be surprised if Allison plays only 7-9 minutes, and we rotate Eaton in with other partners. This actually could be a semi-blessing in disguise if Eaton clicks with somone. Trotz should absolutely not use Suter-Eaton or Eaton-Zidlicky at any time tonight.....

The Sharks have been an early season dissapointment, but I'm not really surprised since they have only lost people since last year. Still, you had to figure their speed would help them steal a few points....it hasn't so far, mostly due to a weak defensive effort and shabby goaltending. That being said, the Sharks matchup against us very well. We are going to have to fight tooth and nail for this one. Come on boys bring home another win!

Prediction: Low scoring - 3-2 in regulation with goals from Hall, Johnson, Walker and for the Sharks, Sturm and Stuart. Probably each team will get 6 powerplay chances.......Shots should come out to around 25 each.

10-22-2005, 08:51 AM
Drury77

Send a message via AIM to Drury77 Send a message via Yahoo to Drury77 Send a message via Skype™ to Drury77
San Jose Sharks

3-4-1, 7 points

vs.

Nashville Predators

6-0, 12 points

Nashville Predators 2005-2006 Complete Schedule/Results

Last Game: St.Louis Blues (2) at (3) Nashville Predators l Final/OT-SO

@ The GEC, l Nashville, TN

Saturday, Oct 22nd, 2004, 7:00 pm CT.
TV: FSN?

Live Score!

IMPORTANT GAMEDAY LINKS!!

*HF Predators Chat Room
*Live Game Audio
*ESPN LIVE Scoreboard
*Yahoo Team Page
*Sportsline Team Page
*Live NHL Scoreboard
*Live General Sports Scoreboard
*Yahoo NHL Photo Gallery
*Sportsline Nashville Photo Gallery

Projected Starting Goalies
(Goaltending Matchups Subject to Change)

vs

(#35 Vesa Toskala) vs. (#29 Tomas Vokoun)
(0-2, 7.50 GAA, .714%, 0 SO) vs. (5-0, 2.14 GAA, .923%, 0 SO)

(***Please note that some links will only work on GAME DAY***)

Last edited by Drury77: 10-22-2005 at 09:14 AM.
Old
10-22-2005, 09:02 AM
Pred303

toskala is actually 0-2 with a 7.50 gaa after last night's game

Old
10-22-2005, 10:07 AM
vopatsrash

I think either it's a classic we're catching a team while they're down and blow them out, then later in the year that team catches fire and we're glad we caught them when we did (like Montreal a few years ago).

Or, it's a classic San Jose is down and desperate and they come out absolutely crazy and we have to withstand the first period and try to wear them down and hope their road trip catches up with them.

I think it's a close, tight game and I think Toskala/Nabokov will be focused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Eaton has been our worst defensemen thus far this year, and while he has been okay for a 4-6 type player.......I expect a lot more. If Allison is paired with him, his pairing is going to take a crap load of penalties.
Is Klein considered ready to come up yet in spots like this, or does he still need more seasoning? Is he better than Allison overall right now taking both (lack of) experience and skill into consideration? Obviously, you don't want Klein up here in the #7 role over high minutes in Milwaukee, but if Markov would be out for 2-3 games would we rather have Allison or Klein?

Old
10-22-2005, 10:33 AM
handtrick

I hope you are right on the big crowd tonite P303 with it being Saturday and all. This game is NOT part of any of the partial packs, so I would guess, considering Thurs was 12k and change, I wouldn be surprised if we have more than 14k. Hopefully I am wrong.

I am really surprised by the floundering out of the gate by the Sharks who are built very similair to us. Just goes to show how solid we are at the blueline and how confidence in your goaltending boosts the rest of your game.

I expect that Markov's groin strain came at the beginning of the third period. He took his regular shift to start the third then played 4 short shifts in the third averaging about 20 seconds after that. Wouldn't be surprised to see Trotz wait until the preskate to make a final decision about scratching him or not. I would think they will think pretty hard about holding him out with his "warrior" mentality [probably saying "I am fine"] and how groin strains can become much more lingering if pressed too soon.

Nabokov's injury is termed, "upper body stiffness" and with him playing for a few minutes after the injury, I expect it is nothing severe...but considering it was only last night...if he plays it probably won't be at his best. And with as skaky as Toskala was last night....it is imperiative that we pounce on either one of them from the outset.

With the way Wilson ripped them between periods one and two and again in the post game press for their "less than professional effort"...I would expect them to come hard out of the gate...a couple quick goals should deflate that drive pretty effectively.

Keys to the game....as far as I can tell...
-quick start out of the gate
-crashing the net with effort to keep goalie moving side to side and on edge
-better PP effectiveness and effeciency
-no mental breakdowns with passing on the blueline, as their speed can burn us

Old
10-22-2005, 10:41 AM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by vopatsrash
Is Klein considered ready to come up yet in spots like this, or does he still need more seasoning? Is he better than Allison overall right now taking both (lack of) experience and skill into consideration? Obviously, you don't want Klein up here in the #7 role over high minutes in Milwaukee, but if Markov would be out for 2-3 games would we rather have Allison or Klein?
I have always pictured the call up for Markov and Eaton to be Weber......the call up for Timonen and Zids to be Klein.....and the call up for Suter and Hammer to be which ever one is playing the best all around game.

That being said....I think it may be a little early in the year for Weber's first call up, and maybe even Zanon would be considered at this point.

Hopefully all this is useless speculation and Markov will be fine....

Old
10-22-2005, 11:19 AM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Uncle Gary in the house tonight

lets hope that doesn't shoot Ryan's nerves

Old
10-22-2005, 11:34 AM
Pred303

you might be right on the crowd handtrick, i had assumed tonight was part of at least one of the partial plans.. man i hate these partial plan tickets, hopefully someday we'll have a strong enough full package where we can get rid of these things

the way Milwaukee has struggled thru their first 4 games, makes it hard to get a read on how well the defensivemen are playing down there:

weber, 1 assist, -3
klein, 2 assists, 0+/-
zanon, 0 points, -2

segal(3g/0a,+2),upshall(1g/3a,+1) and beech(1g/0a, 0) seem to be the only line playing worth a crap so far.. shishkanov (0 pts),pivko (1g -3),haydar (1a -1 )all seem to be struggling horribly

would have thought your line of thought about weber being the eaton/markov replacement was right...however after watching about 50 games so far,and seeing the decreased emphasis on size/strength would think klein or zanon would be more likely if markov was indeed out awhile.. i do now think allison would get burned horribly if he has to go regular shift for long

Old
10-22-2005, 12:08 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

HNIN baby

Hopefully Legwand can bury the chances he's been getting lately, lets go Preds

Old
10-22-2005, 12:21 PM
PredsFan77*

Send a message via ICQ to PredsFan77* Send a message via AIM to PredsFan77*
Damn I need center ice.

Old
10-22-2005, 12:45 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

If Eaton doesn't pick up his game, we may call up Klein to see if he can fit our defense better. Allison is an injury filler - only, as is Greg Zanon - you know exactly what your getting with them. Klein, I think, fits in a lot better right now than Weber does....He skates very well and is more offensive than defensive. It is true that Weber would fill more of the role Eaton would at this point, but I also think he should get at least 1 year in the AHL. Besides, it seems like our defense is much more aggressive this year than in years past. They have always been main points of emphasis for our offense......but this year even more so. I think Klein would really bolster that effect, and likely force Markov to play more defensively (which is what we want!) Both Klein and Weber would start for about 10 teams in this league........I think Klein is ready to step up if needed......and I wouldn't mind giving him a shot at that if Eaton continues to pee the bed every night.

Old
10-22-2005, 06:26 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
I can't make it tonight, will be in the chat room pre-game.

Old
10-22-2005, 07:50 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
That was a goal stolen by the NHL. Toskala's glove goes completely into the net, comes back out, the puck comes out from under his glove at that point and slides across the crease. I'd love to see the explanation for the guys upstairs on that one. The puck was under the glove. The glove was clearly completely in the net. It came back out of the net and the puck squirted loose. You have to question the competency of the guys upstairs if that was truly the case. Maybe they saw another angle that wasn't available to us. But I think it's just poor, poor judgment. Yeah, you couldn't 'see' the puck in the net. But there was no other place the puck could be. If it's in the goalie's glove and the goalie's glove is entirely in the net (past the goalline), how exactly is that not a goal? Regardless, we should be up by 2 or 3 goals right now. We just cannot finish.

Our failure to make goalies make saves is pathetic. Kariya, Walker, and Legwand all had great chances. Kariya finds Toskala's emblem, Legwand shoots wide, Walker loses the puck on a deke, and then fires into his chest on another. We had 4 great scoring chances and Toskala didn't have to make a save on any of them. When you have a young goalie who is struggling, you can't build his confidence by firing pucks three feet wide or right into his chest.

That is three of our top players who have been terrible this year at finishing. Those three have as many goals combined as Sullivan despite having three times as many scoring chances as Sullivan. It is amazing we are undefeated when our best players haven't exactly been playing great. Take away the shootout and Kariya is merely treading water compared to his potential. Granted, he's still one of our best forwards. But he's playing more like a All-Star candidate instead of a bonafide All-Star.

Old
10-22-2005, 07:59 PM
Cyclops II*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
That was a goal stolen by the NHL. Toskala's glove goes completely into the net, comes back out, the puck comes out from under his glove at that point and slides across the crease. I'd love to see the explanation for the guys upstairs on that one. The puck was under the glove. The glove was clearly completely in the net. It came back out of the net and the puck squirted loose. You have to question the competency of the guys upstairs if that was truly the case. Maybe they saw another angle that wasn't available to us. But I think it's just poor, poor judgment. Yeah, you couldn't 'see' the puck in the net. But there was no other place the puck could be. If it's in the goalie's glove and the goalie's glove is entirely in the net (past the goalline), how exactly is that not a goal? Regardless, we should be up by 2 or 3 goals right now. We just cannot finish.

Our failure to make goalies make saves is pathetic. Kariya, Walker, and Legwand all had great chances. Kariya finds Toskala's emblem, Legwand shoots wide, Walker loses the puck on a deke, and then fires into his chest on another. We had 4 great scoring chances and Toskala didn't have to make a save on any of them. When you have a young goalie who is struggling, you can't build his confidence by firing pucks three feet wide or right into his chest.

That is three of our top players who have been terrible this year at finishing. Those three have as many goals combined as Sullivan despite having three times as many scoring chances as Sullivan. It is amazing we are undefeated when our best players haven't exactly been playing great. Take away the shootout and Kariya is merely treading water compared to his potential. Granted, he's still one of our best forwards. But he's playing more like a All-Star candidate instead of a bonafide All-Star.

In the replays shown on the Predators broadcast the only time the puck was in view it wasn't in the net. The play can't be reversed without incontavertible proof so they made the right call.

Old
10-22-2005, 08:39 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Yea, from what I saw, it was inconclusive.

Old
10-22-2005, 08:39 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops II
In the replays shown on the Predators broadcast the only time the puck was in view it wasn't in the net. The play can't be reversed without incontavertible proof so they made the right call.
I disagree. If you know the puck was in the glove, which it was clear according to the overhead shot that it was, then you can make that call. I've seen it called a couple of times where the goalie made a glove save and the puck was deemed to have been in the net because it was in the glove and the glove was entirely in the net. I don't see the difference here. Maybe there was a different angle that I saw, but you could see the puck go into his glove (I think, this might have been the sticking point), then the glove go into the net, come back out and the puck squirts loose.

There was, from the angles I saw, no other possible place the puck could have been but in the net. That is as close to incontrovertible as you are going to ever see. Using the logic provided by you (and apparently the NHL), there can never be a goal if the puck is under a goalies pad (and unable to be seen) or in a goalies glove (and unable to be seen) regardless of the situation. You could fire the puck on net, the goalie can take the puck and curl up inside the net with no part out of the goal. Then crawl back out of the goal after the play has been blow dead and drop the puck out of his glove. And it's no goal? If that is the way the rules are legitimately set up, something needs to change. While the Preds situation isn't as cut and dry, there was, in my opinion, incontrovertible evidence the puck was in his glove, which was entirely in the net. It was a goal unless there was an angle to showed otherwise.

Now maybe my Tivo angle was mistaken and I would imagine they would have access to other angles that I cannot see. But from the broadcast that I am watching, it looked clear to me. Granted, I am biased, but I fail to see how any other conclusion could be drawn from watching it 10 or so times like I did.

Old
10-22-2005, 08:46 PM
Cyclops II*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
I disagree. If you know the puck was in the glove, which it was clear according to the overhead shot that it was, then you can make that call. I've seen it called a couple of times where the goalie made a glove save and the puck was deemed to have been in the net because it was in the glove and the glove was entirely in the net. I don't see the difference here. Maybe there was a different angle that I saw, but you could see the puck go into his glove, then the glove go into the net, come back out and the puck squirts loose.

There was, from the angles I saw, no other possible place the puck could have been but in the net. That is as close to incontrovertible as you are going to ever see. Using the logic provided by you (and apparently the NHL), there can never be a goal if the puck is under a goalies pad (and unable to be seen) or in a goalies glove (and unable to be seen) regardless of the situation. You could fire the puck on net, the goalie can take the puck and curl up inside the net with no part out of the goal. Then crawl back out of the goal after the play has been blow dead and drop the puck out of his glove. And it's no goal? If that is the way the rules are legitimately set up, something needs to change. While the Preds situation isn't as cut and dry, there was, in my opinion, incontrovertible evidence the puck was in his glove, which was entirely in the net. It was a goal unless there was an angle to showed otherwise.
I couldn't even find the puck in the replays that were shown except when it trickled across the crease. I couldn't tell where it was before or after it appeared.
It was probably in the net but the net and players obscured most of the view in the replays shown.

Edit: I don't have tivo so I only saw the replays 2-3 times. The path of the puck is probably more obvious if you are able to view the play many times.

Last edited by Cyclops II*: 10-22-2005 at 08:51 PM.
Old
10-22-2005, 08:48 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
I couldn't even find the puck in the replays that were shown except when it trickled across the crease. I couldn't tell where it was before or after it appeared.
It was probably in the net but the net and players obscured most of the view in the replays shown.
Maybe it was me being a homer, but when I watched it over and over on replay, it looked rather clear to me. I wish I was up in the booth with a telestrator showing those upstairs my feelings on the play.

Maybe it was better that I wasn't in there. If my argument had failed, I'd probably have had to replace all that TV and recording equipment.

Speaking of the game, SJ is playing much better than the Preds. Our power play is pathetic right now. Give credit to SJ for keeping our chances to a minimum but when we get shots from the point, we put it high (so there is no rebound) or wide. Timonen and Zids were keys to our early success. They are keys to our recent failure.

Old
10-22-2005, 08:59 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

As a team, this is the second worse game I've seen us play, this year. The concept of forechecking is lost on all but the fourth line, and Perreault is really negating any hope Sullivan and Walker have of setting up. Kariya is having a pretty bad game as well, sending passes to no one all game long.

Old
10-22-2005, 09:07 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Can't wait to see how the Legwand bashers take credit away from him for that. BEAUTIFUL little move to keep the puck in and around the defender, clean wrist shot through traffic makes it through, Hartnell buries it.

2-1

Old
10-22-2005, 09:12 PM
Cyclops II*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
As a team, this is the second worse game I've seen us play, this year. The concept of forechecking is lost on all but the fourth line, and Perreault is really negating any hope Sullivan and Walker have of setting up. Kariya is having a pretty bad game as well, sending passes to no one all game long.
You don't have to play well to beat the San Jose Minor Leaguers. Sharks are looking forward to drafting Phil Kessel.

Old
10-22-2005, 09:18 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
You don't have to play well to beat the San Jose Minor Leaguers. Sharks are looking forward to drafting Phil Kessel.

You guys will be fine. A slow start means nothing. I can't see you guys even missing the playoffs.

Old
10-22-2005, 09:22 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

whew, another sloppy game that we come away with. i'll just stop complaining, i guess.

7-0!

Old
10-22-2005, 09:26 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

Scotty Hartnell = Shark Killer.

Two GW vs the Sharks.

Only thing I ask for is a win by more than one goal.

And, Legwand did look better...His assist on Hart's goal was great, he did a good job of not giving the puck away and put it into traffic. Granted, it was a "lucky" assist, he did well in making things happen.

Closed Thread