HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Who Could Use Mike Peca, And What Would You Give Up???

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-24-2005, 01:22 AM
  #1
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 55,190
vCash: 500
Who Could Use Mike Peca, And What Would You Give Up???

He is a super checker on a team of checkers in Edmonton. Who could use him to solidify their forward defense,PKing, and to take key face-offs???

Bryanbryoil is offline  
Old
10-24-2005, 01:26 AM
  #2
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 29,239
vCash: 500
Across HF country, numerous NYI fans are currently chuckling....

Trottier is offline  
Old
10-24-2005, 01:30 AM
  #3
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 55,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Across HF country, numerous NYI fans are currently chuckling....
I never liked the deal from day one, and it has progressively gotten worse. Why in the Hell Lowe decided that we needed another 3rd liner is beyond me.

Bryanbryoil is offline  
Old
10-24-2005, 01:32 AM
  #4
Copperhead
Registered User
 
Copperhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,805
vCash: 500
lol...i'm chuckling and I'm an oilers fan. no one's taking his 4 mill salary for a checker...if the oil wants to get rid of a checker/pk player they should dump moreau, reasoner, pisani, take your pick. we'd have a better chance at trading them...and plus I think peca, for all his money, is still doing a decent job for us, don't want to get rid of him yet, give him some time to gel with hemmer and torres and i think he'll do well

Copperhead is offline  
Old
10-24-2005, 01:33 AM
  #5
Til the End of Time
Registered User
 
Til the End of Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Buenos Aires
Posts: 7,581
vCash: 500
Would you like Gonchar for Peca?

Til the End of Time is offline  
Old
10-24-2005, 01:36 AM
  #6
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 29,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan83
lol...i'm chuckling and I'm an oilers fan. no one's taking his 4 mill salary for a checker...if the oil wants to get rid of a checker/pk player they should dump moreau, reasoner, pisani, take your pick. we'd have a better chance at trading them...and plus I think peca, for all his money, is still doing a decent job for us, don't want to get rid of him yet, give him some time to gel with hemmer and torres and i think he'll do well
If - big if - the Oilers are going nowhere come February, you will find a market for Peca among playoff teams. Last year of his salary will have been mostly eaten up, and despite his limitations these days, he remains the type of guy winning teams like come the springtime. (Think of a Brian Skrudland, Panthers, circa 1996.)

That is, his trade value will be much higher than it is currently. Besides, it's only two weeks into the season!!!!!!

Trottier is offline  
Old
10-24-2005, 01:37 AM
  #7
The Joker*
Simba
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time
Would you like Gonchar for Peca?
Interresting to say the least. Both teams could use a shake up. Peca would deffinately help you guys defensively and Gonchar would help us offensively. Doubt the Pens would do it though.

The Joker* is offline  
Old
10-24-2005, 01:52 AM
  #8
Steve Latin*
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Thinbonesville
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil3rs
Interresting to say the least. Both teams could use a shake up. Peca would deffinately help you guys defensively and Gonchar would help us offensively. Doubt the Pens would do it though.
Doubt the Oilers would do it. Gonchar's been terrible so far this year and is set to earn 25 million over the next five.

Steve Latin* is offline  
Old
10-24-2005, 01:59 AM
  #9
Phanuthier*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murder capital (Edm)
Posts: 10,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Across HF country, numerous NYI fans are currently chuckling....
... its not just Isles fans.

I thought it was a pretty good deal for Edmonton, until I found out Peca was making $4 million.

Phanuthier* is offline  
Old
10-24-2005, 02:27 AM
  #10
alanschu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,224
vCash: 500
Let it be known that many Oilers fans have not written off Mike Peca at this time.

alanschu is offline  
Old
10-24-2005, 02:33 AM
  #11
Johnnybegood13
Registered User
 
Johnnybegood13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 6,207
vCash: 500
Who Could Use Mike Peca?

We'll find out next season when he signs somewhere else as a free agent for half the price. Nobody will take him @ 4m in a trade.

Johnnybegood13 is offline  
Old
10-24-2005, 02:36 AM
  #12
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 41,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu
Let it be known that many Oilers fans have not written off Mike Peca at this time.
Let it be known that many Islander fans agree with you. $ not withstanding, I still think Peca will do great for the Oilers.

Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
10-24-2005, 07:41 AM
  #13
Takeo
Registered User
 
Takeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 19,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil
He is a super checker on a team of checkers in Edmonton. Who could use him to solidify their forward defense,PKing, and to take key face-offs???
I love Peca, but the Sabres are already overpaying for a faceoff specialist with alleged intangibles...

Takeo is offline  
Old
10-24-2005, 07:46 AM
  #14
Bruwinz37
Registered User
 
Bruwinz37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil
He is a super checker on a team of checkers in Edmonton. Who could use him to solidify their forward defense,PKing, and to take key face-offs???
Alexei Zhamnov.

Bruwinz37 is offline  
Old
10-24-2005, 08:02 AM
  #15
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 30,723
vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Across HF country, numerous NYI fans are currently chuckling....

some are,but others realize the isles could use his faceoff ability and it's not like York is tearing it up offensively.

CREW99AW is offline  
Old
10-24-2005, 08:39 AM
  #16
Michael Karlstrom II
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
I have to admit I would like to move Zhamnov out of Boston for Peca myself. I believe Zhamnov is the better player but contract wise and how the fit goes tof both teams, I think this might make sense.

Edmonton wanted a front line guy when they made the move for Peca. Peca is an amazing warrior come playoff time, but he's all but wasted on a non-playoff team. Even on a playoff team, he is really a third line center.

Zhamnov probably isnt a good first line center on a cup contender, but he is definitely a front line center for a team that is realistically looking to squeek into the playoffs and is hoping for a first round upset as about the best they can do.

Zhamnov is signed to a longer contract which works against him, but Oilers have the room to absorb it and the rest of their team is cheap and figures to be cheap for a couple more years anyhow.

Peca would be put to their line in Boston... it allows Scatchard to move to wing with Thornton and Murray solving one Bruin problem and allows Bergeron to play center ice on the second line which should make better use of his skills too. Or Boyes will get a shot at his natural center ice position on a scoring line.

The signing of Zhamnov never did make sense for Boston really. Bruin's save no immediate cap room with this lateral move that probably actually downgrades our overall talent level... but our benefit comes next year when Peca could be had at a reduced cost maybe, or if he did leave, we could just spend the 4 mill on a dman like we actually needed all along this year too.

 
Old
10-24-2005, 08:42 AM
  #17
Seph
Registered User
 
Seph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Oregon
Country: South Korea
Posts: 16,143
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seph
If Edmonton eats half his salary, I'd trade you Mike York for him.

Seph is offline  
Old
10-24-2005, 08:58 AM
  #18
Michael Karlstrom II
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
actually since Edmonton is trying to dump Laraque too [i am sure they are and they should be considering whats gone on with him and them]

let's expand the idea and make the trade between Boston and Edmonton be Peca + Laraque for Zhamnov/McEachern/and the rights to Lars Jonsson

I know it's taboo to deal off UFA signings this quickly, but Boston made quite a mistake with overlaoding their forward positions with guys like Zhamnov and McEachern. Zhamnov is squarly in the way of the development of Bergeron/Boyes now and McEachern is going to be in the way of playing time for Leahy once the team gets healthy.

If Oilers did pay Jonsson the max salary he is looking for, I think he will be a quality NHL dman. If not, he earns his team a second round pick in next years draft if he reenters. I think McEachern probably is finished as a scorer at the NHL level and I realize Oilers are overloaded with 3-4th liners, but just moving Laraque should be an upgrade for team moral and McEachern has helped young teams in Ottawa and Atlanta get a bit better the last few years.

Ultimately the deal is about Alexei Zhamnov and the Oil needs and Peca being the better fit for Boston's needs but the added benefit of being able to get McEachern's salary off the books for next year too is enough of a sweetner to me to give up on Lars Jonsson considering he is never going to play for Boston given the way negotiations went with him this year. Lightning could strike too and Laraque could respond to a change of scenery and become the beast he should be. If that did happen the deal would probably become quite a nice move for the B's. It's definitely a risk I wouldn't hesitate to make if I was calling the shots.

 
Old
10-24-2005, 09:01 AM
  #19
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,633
vCash: 500
Awards:
Steve Rucchin.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
10-24-2005, 09:14 AM
  #20
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,928
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Karlstrom II
actually since Edmonton is trying to dump Laraque too [i am sure they are and they should be considering whats gone on with him and them]

let's expand the idea and make the trade between Boston and Edmonton be Peca + Laraque for Zhamnov/McEachern/and the rights to Lars Jonsson

I know it's taboo to deal off UFA signings this quickly, but Boston made quite a mistake with overlaoding their forward positions with guys like Zhamnov and McEachern. Zhamnov is squarly in the way of the development of Bergeron/Boyes now and McEachern is going to be in the way of playing time for Leahy once the team gets healthy.

If Oilers did pay Jonsson the max salary he is looking for, I think he will be a quality NHL dman. If not, he earns his team a second round pick in next years draft if he reenters. I think McEachern probably is finished as a scorer at the NHL level and I realize Oilers are overloaded with 3-4th liners, but just moving Laraque should be an upgrade for team moral and McEachern has helped young teams in Ottawa and Atlanta get a bit better the last few years.

Ultimately the deal is about Alexei Zhamnov and the Oil needs and Peca being the better fit for Boston's needs but the added benefit of being able to get McEachern's salary off the books for next year too is enough of a sweetner to me to give up on Lars Jonsson considering he is never going to play for Boston given the way negotiations went with him this year. Lightning could strike too and Laraque could respond to a change of scenery and become the beast he should be. If that did happen the deal would probably become quite a nice move for the B's. It's definitely a risk I wouldn't hesitate to make if I was calling the shots.
I think the Oilers would pass on this.... a 1 for 1 with Peca and Zhamnov, they should pass on as well.

Zhamnov is overrated... he's not going to help the Oilers much more than Peca is, certainly not enough to justify his multiyear deal at that salary. IMO Zhamnov's got less value right now than Peca does.

Edmonton is better off just holding onto Peca for this season, and then using that salary space on another UFA. trading for Zhamnov now is just going to tie up more space, longer term, on an aging player.

For Boston, the deal doesn't make any sense either... they are still tying up $4mill on a 3rd liner, and that with Scatchard already there. Scats is a natural center anyways, and the 3rd line is a perfect spot for him. I'd take Peca any day over Scats in the same role, but I'd take Scats at half the salary for a 3rd line role over Peca. I also wouldn't move Scats to the wing... he's much better at center and I don't think you need to tie up more salary space to upgrade that 3rd line spot.

If Zhamnov isn't working out, dump him for whatever you can get - anything, even a conditional nothing pick. Just free up the salary space. This allows Bergeron to move to center the 2nd unit. Get a winger (a salary dump from another team) to replace Berg on the 2nd unit, and IMO the team is much better off than tying up $4mill for Peca, on a team that already has Thornton-Bergeron-Scatchard capable of playing 1-2-3.

NFITO is offline  
Old
10-24-2005, 10:53 AM
  #21
Douggy
Registered User
 
Douggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Steve Rucchin.
What would that accomplish?

Douggy is offline  
Old
10-24-2005, 10:55 AM
  #22
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,633
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggy
What would that accomplish?

The question is what would you give up. If I was the Rangers I would give up Steve Rucchin. For the Rangers, it gives them an upgrade over Rucchin and some leadership.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
10-24-2005, 11:44 AM
  #23
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 28,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time
Would you like Gonchar for Peca?
I could handle dealing Malone for Peca, how about you?

Jacob is offline  
Old
10-24-2005, 12:10 PM
  #24
Bad Santa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 21
vCash: 500
How about 1 Red Baron Classic Deluxe Frozen Pizza?

Bad Santa is offline  
Old
10-24-2005, 12:33 PM
  #25
Hire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!
 
Hire Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 22,909
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Steve Rucchin.
Funny. I thought the exact same thing.

Hire Sather is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.