HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Ulmer's article on Dany Heatley is disturbing.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-08-2003, 08:34 AM
  #1
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,844
vCash: 500
Mike Ulmer's article on Dany Heatley is disturbing.

http://www.canoe.ca/Slam031008/col_ulmer-sun.html

A few of his thoughts in particular:

<b>" It will stop being about Dan Snyder on Friday, after the funeral. There will be nothing more to write, nothing more to say about him. "</b>

Lacks a little sensitivity towards the Snyder family, wouldn't you say?

<b>"Yes, Craig MacTavish, then with the Boston Bruins, served a year in a Massachusetts jail for vehicular homicide in 1984. MacTavish was driving drunk when his car crossed a median and a woman was killed. But MacTavish, now the coach of the Edmonton Oilers, didn't possess half of Heatley's star power. His fall from grace came from a lower perch. "</b>

Now Ulmer claims, the MacTavish homicide is not a huge deal, because the victim wasn't an athlete but merely an individual we cannot put a face to.

<b>"How do you live with the death of a friend on your hands? Never mind the law, how do you forgive yourself? "</b>

Nothing like kicking a kid when he is down, eh?

<b>"Death must be an attractive option for Dany Heatley right now. There must seem no way out.

God help Dany Heatley.

It is as if he sold his soul to the devil for the good life and now the devil wants it back. "</b>

Are you friggen kidding me? Ulmer is now claiming death may be the only option for Heatley?

Is it possible for a journalist to be any more insensitive? I've never seen such unprofessional reporting from the Toronto Sun.

I'm really angered by this story, time to send a letter to the Sun.

Habs is offline  
Old
10-08-2003, 08:51 AM
  #2
Brisebois
Registered User
 
Brisebois's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Feeding Johan Sedin
Posts: 2,524
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Brisebois
I think Ulmers just depressed.

Brisebois is offline  
Old
10-08-2003, 08:54 AM
  #3
Disco Volante
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 2nd to FloydianSlip
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs
<b>"Yes, Craig MacTavish, then with the Boston Bruins, served a year in a Massachusetts jail for vehicular homicide in 1984. MacTavish was driving drunk when his car crossed a median and a woman was killed. But MacTavish, now the coach of the Edmonton Oilers, didn't possess half of Heatley's star power. His fall from grace came from a lower perch. "</b>

Now Ulmer claims, the MacTavish homicide is not a huge deal, because the victim wasn't an athlete but merely an individual we cannot put a face to.
I admit I haven't read the article, but your reading of that part appears a little "mongol" to me. Maybe you didn't quote the right part...

Disco Volante is offline  
Old
10-08-2003, 08:55 AM
  #4
NYR1084
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NY
Posts: 348
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NYR1084
Hey


Man, if thats what he wrote, thats pretty bad. I mean everyone has a opinion on the the whole tragic ordeal, but still this man has a position where he can publish his thoughts, and this publication obviously is read by many people. Those are some brutal comments to say, about McTavish, Heatley, McTavish's victim and especially Synder.

Think before you speak means nothing these days.


Kev

NYR1084 is offline  
Old
10-08-2003, 08:56 AM
  #5
All-Star
Registered User
 
All-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Snake Mountain
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs
<b>"Death must be an attractive option for Dany Heatley right now. There must seem no way out.

God help Dany Heatley.

It is as if he sold his soul to the devil for the good life and now the devil wants it back. "</b>
That is rather stupid isn't it? I know plenty of people who have been in car crashes where a passenger has died, and they all got over it after a few months or so...

These things are called accidents not murder... I'm sure Heatley didn't intend to hit that wall and kill his friend...

That reporter needs to put things into perspective here...

All-Star

All-Star is offline  
Old
10-08-2003, 08:59 AM
  #6
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PornoHolocaust
I admit I haven't read the article, but your reading of that part appears a little "mongol" to me. Maybe you didn't quote the right part...
He's seemingly belittling, the MacTavish accident. A life is a life, no matter if it is Snyder, or an innocent victim in another car, in 1984.

"mongol"? I'm just quoting his story. What are your thoughts on this statement?

Habs is offline  
Old
10-08-2003, 09:04 AM
  #7
Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Rwanda
Posts: 5,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs
[url]

<b>..."Yes, Craig MacTavish, then with the Boston Bruins, served a year in a Massachusetts jail for vehicular homicide in 1984. MacTavish was driving drunk when his car crossed a median and a woman was killed. But MacTavish, now the coach of the Edmonton Oilers, didn't possess half of Heatley's star power. His fall from grace came from a lower perch. "</b>

Now Ulmer claims, the MacTavish homicide is not a huge deal, because the victim wasn't an athlete but merely an individual we cannot put a face to.
...
I think he meant the MacTavish situation was different, because MacTavish wasn't as big a star as Heatley.

Still, grossly insensitive comments, IMO.

Gros Bill is offline  
Old
10-08-2003, 09:07 AM
  #8
Disco Volante
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 2nd to FloydianSlip
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs
He's seemingly belittling, the MacTavish accident. A life is a life, no matter if it is Snyder, or an innocent victim in another car, in 1984.

"mongol"? I'm just quoting his story. What are your thoughts on this statement?
My thoughts on THIS statement? He never made it, you misread the quote. As for the death thing, that is too a little "mongol", but hey, no hockey related yellow journalism will scandalize me...

Disco Volante is offline  
Old
10-08-2003, 10:40 AM
  #9
mommyslittlemonster
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
ulmer`s

Ulmer`s just mad because he has a medical condition known as MICRO-PENIS.

 
Old
10-08-2003, 10:45 AM
  #10
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 20,948
vCash: 500
What he said was insensitive, but unfortunately true, after the funeral the focus will not be on the life of Dan Snyder, as it should be, but on the responsability and trial of Danny Heatley, the writer wan't trying to be an a**, he just needs to choose his words more carefully

417 is offline  
Old
10-08-2003, 11:50 AM
  #11
Corey
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,300
vCash: 500
What offends me most about Ulmer's article is that he presumes to inhabit Heatley's brain and soul and tell him what to do with his life. He is almost suggesting that Heatley might as well commit suicide. What Heatley has done is terrible, and he will be punished both by the authorities and by his own sense of guilt. However, each of us responds differently to crisis and it is out of bounds for Ulmer to intrude.

Corey is offline  
Old
10-08-2003, 12:10 PM
  #12
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
What offends me most about Ulmer's article is that he presumes to inhabit Heatley's brain and soul and tell him what to do with his life. He is almost suggesting that Heatley might as well commit suicide. What Heatley has done is terrible, and he will be punished both by the authorities and by his own sense of guilt. However, each of us responds differently to crisis and it is out of bounds for Ulmer to intrude.
That's my take on it as well.

Habs is offline  
Old
10-08-2003, 12:55 PM
  #13
Garnet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 796
vCash: 500
The article

I agree the article is a little insenative, but put yourself in Heatley's shoes. I was clearly responsible for the death one of my best friends. A month or two to get over it!!! I highly doubt it.. This will haunt Dany for the rest of his life. And again back in Heatley's shoe's I would wish it was me that died and not my best friend. This will haunt his career, mind , body, and soul for the rest of his life. He shouldn't have been driving that fast its as simply as that.

But I hope Heatley as the mental ability to somehow put this behind him!! Im just not sure if its possible.

Garnet is offline  
Old
10-08-2003, 01:04 PM
  #14
Garnet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 796
vCash: 500
Phew without knowing the details of what happened how could anyone blame someone? Mctavish was drunk and an admitted alcoholic. From all I hear Heatley wasn't drunk. So let's pretend this happened- Dan Snyder asked Heatley to step on the peddle to see how the Ferrarri accelerated. Maybe after many requests Heatley allowed peer pressure to get to him and started accelerating. Okay he was driving but...

I don't know what happened- let's hear the details before we rush to conclusions


I completely disagree with this statement. The facts are not about Heatley drink and driving its about the speed he was driving. Peer preasure about driving a car faster doesn't clear him of wrongful doing. He didn't follow the traffic laws, speeding, drinking, it doesn't matter which part of the law is broken, the point is that he broke the law. It was his foot on the gas petal. Speed was definitly a main player in the accident and Heatley is soley responsable he that.

Garnet is offline  
Old
10-08-2003, 01:30 PM
  #15
Garnet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 796
vCash: 500
actually

They prove the speed pretty accurately by the skid marks on the road.
I understand your point and maybe something happen but going through a 60 KM area at a 130 KM is very hard to justify. You could say there was a cat on the road and he swerved to miss the cat and went out of control and hit the wall and then went through the fence. But whatever is said it will always come back to the fact if he was going to speed limit the accident would have been less server!

Garnet is offline  
Old
10-08-2003, 01:55 PM
  #16
Uber Coca
Registered User
 
Uber Coca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,131
vCash: 500
What is so "mongol" about this article? I mean, this is life. Heatley must be so depress right now that nobody knows what he can do.
Are you guys afraid to say the real things?

Uber Coca is offline  
Old
10-08-2003, 01:58 PM
  #17
Medicine Twin
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Miramichi,NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs
http://www.canoe.ca/Slam031008/col_ulmer-sun.html

<b>"How do you live with the death of a friend on your hands? Never mind the law, how do you forgive yourself? "</b>

Nothing like kicking a kid when he is down, eh?

<b>"Death must be an attractive option for Dany Heatley right now. There must seem no way out. It is as if he sold his soul to the devil for the good life and now the devil wants it back. "</b>
Ulmer should be FIRED right now. This is just horrible and wrong on so many levels. But wait... doing that might cause him to think about suicide, since that's the way he thinks. Better not...

I'm appalled!!

Also, I think one of the things that is wrong with our society is that every time something terrible happens, we immediately start to look for someone to blame and punish rather than coming together to find a valuable solution. Does anybody honestly think that giving Heatley 13 years in prison is gonna detour young men from speeding?!! It's not fair, and it's not the solution.

Garnet, since you seem to like to point the finger around, tell me YOU'VE never drove well above the speed limit...

Medicine Twin is offline  
Old
10-08-2003, 02:09 PM
  #18
theo6060
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 2,801
vCash: 500
If you ask me, it almost seems as though he's trying to get Heatley to kill himself. I bet he toned the story down from what he really wanted to say about how he feels and threw that last little bit in to see what Heatley does. Screw him man, Ulmer's just being an idiot.

theo6060 is offline  
Old
10-08-2003, 02:41 PM
  #19
habscout
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Lasalle, Ontario, Ca
Country: Canada
Posts: 593
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to habscout Send a message via AIM to habscout Send a message via MSN to habscout Send a message via Yahoo to habscout
Quote:
Originally Posted by strummerman
Phew without knowing the details of what happened how could anyone blame someone? Mctavish was drunk and an admitted alcoholic. From all I hear Heatley wasn't drunk. So let's pretend this happened- Dan Snyder asked Heatley to step on the peddle to see how the Ferrarri accelerated. Maybe after many requests Heatley allowed peer pressure to get to him and started accelerating. Okay he was driving but...

I don't know what happened- let's hear the details before we rush to conclusions.
The last I heard, the DA did not yet have the results from Heatley's blood test. His agent claims that alcohol was not a factor, but it does look suspicious.

As for that "journalist, it sounds like he's just acting like a s@#t disturber, while trying to increase newspaper sales.

habscout is offline  
Old
10-08-2003, 02:54 PM
  #20
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Hainsey
What is so "mongol" about this article? I mean, this is life. Heatley must be so depress right now that nobody knows what he can do.
Are you guys afraid to say the real things?

You and I discussing a topic is one thing. A national media print, with clear suggestions of suicide, is another.

<b>"Death must be an attractive option for Dany Heatley right now. There must seem no way out."</b>

Doesn't this seem a bit insensitive to you? Is this necessary? What does it say about the character of the writer? Is suicide the clear answer to life's problems?

Habs is offline  
Old
10-08-2003, 03:37 PM
  #21
Garry Valk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs
http://www.canoe.ca/Slam031008/col_ulmer-sun.html

A few of his thoughts in particular:

<b>" It will stop being about Dan Snyder on Friday, after the funeral. There will be nothing more to write, nothing more to say about him. "</b>

Lacks a little sensitivity towards the Snyder family, wouldn't you say?

<b>"Yes, Craig MacTavish, then with the Boston Bruins, served a year in a Massachusetts jail for vehicular homicide in 1984. MacTavish was driving drunk when his car crossed a median and a woman was killed. But MacTavish, now the coach of the Edmonton Oilers, didn't possess half of Heatley's star power. His fall from grace came from a lower perch. "</b>

Now Ulmer claims, the MacTavish homicide is not a huge deal, because the victim wasn't an athlete but merely an individual we cannot put a face to.

<b>"How do you live with the death of a friend on your hands? Never mind the law, how do you forgive yourself? "</b>

Nothing like kicking a kid when he is down, eh?

<b>"Death must be an attractive option for Dany Heatley right now. There must seem no way out.

God help Dany Heatley.

It is as if he sold his soul to the devil for the good life and now the devil wants it back. "</b>

Are you friggen kidding me? Ulmer is now claiming death may be the only option for Heatley?

Is it possible for a journalist to be any more insensitive? I've never seen such unprofessional reporting from the Toronto Sun.

I'm really angered by this story, time to send a letter to the Sun.
To a large extent, this article is clearly sarcasm. I think you're reading it the wrong way. Look deeper into his wording. He's saying that this is the reality, and it is: and it's sad.

Garry Valk is offline  
Old
10-08-2003, 06:43 PM
  #22
MontrealFan
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Also, I think one of the things that is wrong with our society is that every time something terrible happens, we immediately start to look for someone to blame and punish rather than coming together to find a valuable solution. Does anybody honestly think that giving Heatley 13 years in prison is gonna detour young men from speeding?!! It's not fair, and it's not the solution."
What not fair about it? He kill someone!!!
Quote:
He was young and careless and stupid
He's to blame and no one else. Will see what will come out of this. If he will be juge has a super star or has a man " like the rest of us" . I hope justice will be serve .... but i don't think it will.

 
Old
10-08-2003, 08:29 PM
  #23
hosehead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: toronto
Posts: 215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Valk
To a large extent, this article is clearly sarcasm. I think you're reading it the wrong way. Look deeper into his wording. He's saying that this is the reality, and it is: and it's sad.
Like most posters I thought the column was a bit odd & kind of insensitive when I first read it. However after reading again I agree with Garry Valk -- I think Ulmer is trying to point out the reality of the situation.

I also think he is taking the piss out of people who are trying to portray Heatley as a tragic figure -- he'll pay the same price anybody else would for losing control of his vehicle & killing someone. I don't think he was deameaning the victim of Craig Mactavish -- i think he's pointing out that there was alot of focus on Snyder because he was a hockey player. Would everyone know the name of the victim if it was Heatleys maid , hairdresser, agent or chauffeur ?

Ulmer also notes that after the funeral Snyder will be forgotten -- the question won't be about what punishment is just for taking another persons life , the question will be how will Heatley's hockey career be affected.

Let's be honest -- if I was speeding in my '93 Topaz , ripped it in half and killed someone if I got 15 years in jail most people would say I got what I deserved & I think the same would apply for everyone else on the board who isn't a pro athlete.

I think Ulmer did a good job of getting people thinking

hosehead is offline  
Old
10-08-2003, 11:18 PM
  #24
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hosehead
Like most posters I thought the column was a bit odd & kind of insensitive when I first read it. However after reading again I agree with Garry Valk -- I think Ulmer is trying to point out the reality of the situation.

I also think he is taking the piss out of people who are trying to portray Heatley as a tragic figure -- he'll pay the same price anybody else would for losing control of his vehicle & killing someone. I don't think he was deameaning the victim of Craig Mactavish -- i think he's pointing out that there was alot of focus on Snyder because he was a hockey player. Would everyone know the name of the victim if it was Heatleys maid , hairdresser, agent or chauffeur ?

Ulmer also notes that after the funeral Snyder will be forgotten -- the question won't be about what punishment is just for taking another persons life , the question will be how will Heatley's hockey career be affected.

Let's be honest -- if I was speeding in my '93 Topaz , ripped it in half and killed someone if I got 15 years in jail most people would say I got what I deserved & I think the same would apply for everyone else on the board who isn't a pro athlete.

I think Ulmer did a good job of getting people thinking
I thought about that, and tried to see it as this, before I posted this article. I never saw it as that, but perhaps you are correct.

I emailed Ulmer and asked him these very questions. I'll post his reply if I get one.

Habs is offline  
Old
10-09-2003, 01:51 AM
  #25
Medicine Twin
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Miramichi,NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealFan
What not fair about it? He kill someone!!! He's to blame and no one else. Will see what will come out of this. If he will be juge has a super star or has a man " like the rest of us" . I hope justice will be serve .... but i don't think it will.
There... a perfect example of what's wrong our society... point the finger and punish!!! So 13 years in jail is a good sentence for speeding?! Do you really think it will take 13 years before it sinks in to Heatley's head that he shouldn't drive at high speeds?!

Oh I know... you want to make an example of him. Tell me then, how many young men do you honestly think will stop speeding because Dany Heatley got 13 years in jail?! My guess? ZERO!!


Medicine Twin is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.