HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Radek Could Use Some Good Thoughts

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2003, 09:31 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Radek Could Use Some Good Thoughts

I just wanted to take a second to talk about Radek's serious off ice situation. As has been reported in the papers, Radek and his wife recently welcomed into the world their first child. However, the little guy couldn't wait and was born 3 month premature.

I chatted with Radek a bit about this on the weekend because, I was in the same boat with my daughter when she was born nearly 3 months early too. I knew from my own experience that it's an overwhelming thing to go through mentally and physically. At the same time I wanted to tell Radek that my daughter is now 4 and healthy just for the hope of giving him some.

The thing to remember is this: Radek's wife and child are stuck back in Europe while he is playing here. It'll be a few moths before the baby is released from the hospital and sometime before his family can come over here. Can you imagine that??? To be seperated from your family for three months would be hard enough but to have all these extenuating circumstances added in?

So my request is that, for those of you religiously inclined, say a prayer for Radek and his family.

Also keeps this in the back of your head for the next few months if Radek's play is just average. Let's not beat up on the guy or be overly critically harsh. There are more important things in the world than hockey and who could blame the guy for having his mind on those more important things at times?

Radek's a nice guy, I think I caught him a bit off guard when I pulled him aside but he opened up a bit once we got talking.

Anyway, save some good thoughts for our newest sniper. Good Karma can't hurt.

Old
10-08-2003, 09:49 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
I just wanted to take a second to talk about Radek's serious off ice situation. As has been reported in the papers, Radek and his wife recently welcomed into the world their first child. However, the little guy couldn't wait and was born 3 month premature.

I chatted with Radek a bit about this on the weekend because, I was in the same boat with my daughter when she was born nearly 3 months early too. I knew from my own experience that it's an overwhelming thing to go through mentally and physically. At the same time I wanted to tell Radek that my daughter is now 4 and healthy just for the hope of giving him some.

The thing to remember is this: Radek's wife and child are stuck back in Europe while he is playing here. It'll be a few moths before the baby is released from the hospital and sometime before his family can come over here. Can you imagine that??? To be seperated from your family for three months would be hard enough but to have all these extenuating circumstances added in?

So my request is that, for those of you religiously inclined, say a prayer for Radek and his family.

Also keeps this in the back of your head for the next few months if Radek's play is just average. Let's not beat up on the guy or be overly critically harsh. There are more important things in the world than hockey and who could blame the guy for having his mind on those more important things at times?

Radek's a nice guy, I think I caught him a bit off guard when I pulled him aside but he opened up a bit once we got talking.

Anyway, save some good thoughts for our newest sniper. Good Karma can't hurt.
No problems from my end.

I know what it's like to be away from your wife and child, it's one of the main reasons why I'm not in the military anymore.

I'll be thinking about Dvo, and definitely giving him all sorts of slack.

Old
10-08-2003, 10:05 AM
The Imp

Hear hear

good point y'all

Old
10-08-2003, 10:40 AM
Mr Sakich

my first daughter was 10 weeks premature and spent a month in an incubator. I know how hard it must be on radek to be 5,000 miles away and unable to assist.

Old
10-08-2003, 10:58 AM
momentai

I can't imagine what he must be going through. That's tough.

Old
10-08-2003, 11:01 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor dyck
my first daughter was 10 weeks premature and spent a month in an incubator. I know how hard it must be on radek to be 5,000 miles away and unable to assist.
Exactly. It was 3 months of incubation for us with bunch of open heart surgeries thrown in for funzies.

Old
10-08-2003, 11:07 AM
Yanner39

I admire him. I mean, the feeling I got from his interview is the other day in the Sun was that it's tough but he was glad to be back playing hockey. I thinks about his wife and newborn child alot, but he's glad he has hockey to change his thoughts. I wish him and his family all the best.

Old
10-08-2003, 11:08 AM
barto

It makes me wonder if Dvorak should be back home with his family at this time... Rather than being here and worrying, he could be with his wife & baby helping out. The Oilers have enough guys who were difficult cuts that they could squeeze by for a while, and if he really would be having some troubles on the ice anyway (fully justifiable under the circumstances) then it might be better for the team in the end, too! Just a thought... but whether he's here or home, you gotta feel for him & his family.

Bart

Old
10-08-2003, 12:30 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

I was a premature baby, and now look at me, Im as healthy as a racehorse. it is a common occurance, and I hope that The Dvorak family overcomes this tough time. You know what they say "what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger."

Old
10-08-2003, 12:59 PM
Yorkiegirl161861

My thoughts and prayers are with the Dvorak family. I hope the little guy gets stronger and healthier by the day.

Old
10-08-2003, 02:04 PM
IceDragoon

Thanx for the reminder Guy. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in our lives that it's easy to forget someone else's anguish. Mr. and Mrs. D-vo and baby Adam are in my prayers.

Old
10-08-2003, 02:23 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon
Thanx for the reminder Guy. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in our lives that it's easy to forget someone else's anguish. Mr. and Mrs. D-vo and baby Adam are in my prayers.

Absolutely. I can't imagine the heartache.

Old
10-08-2003, 03:34 PM
MrMackey

Man, you hear about a lot of these cases with players' kids (Langenbrunner and Graves both had similar difficulties if I remember correctly), but this has just been a bad summer for hockey.

Old
10-08-2003, 03:46 PM
Marconius

It makes me wonder if Dvorak should be back home with his family at this time... Rath

Good point Bart, there ARE more important things in life then hockey/career. I think the plan helps out the Oilers as well. Give Dvorak a 4-6 (or however long it takes to deal with the situation)weeks off, let him be with his family. From the Oilers persepective they open up a spot in the roster for a Salmo or a Rita and get a focused and loyal player when he returns. Come contract time Radek might be pursuaded to sign for a little less or a little longer.

Old
10-08-2003, 04:18 PM
Shibumi

"Give Dvorak a 4-6 (or however long it takes to deal with the situation)weeks off, let him be with his family."

That would be a classy move by the Oilers.

Old
10-08-2003, 04:26 PM
dem

That would also be throwing the season... we already dont have Comrie.

Old
10-08-2003, 04:29 PM
Shibumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem
That would also be throwing the season... we already dont have Comrie.

There are more important things in life than Hockey.

Old
10-08-2003, 04:29 PM
IceDragoon

barto, Marconius and Shibumi,

While your sentiments are to be commended, we don't know all of the particulars. Maybe D-vo stays sane by playing hockey. Maybe his wife has terrific family support and saw how feeling helpless was eating him up and said, "Go play hockey". We just don't know.

I'm sure he wouldn't be here if he felt that being back home would make a difference. I'm also sure that the Oilers want him to do what's best for him, even if it meant taking some time away from hockey.

I hope and pray that Radek continually receives good news about Adam.

Old
10-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:

While your sentiments are to be commended, we don't know all of the particulars. Maybe D-vo stays sane by playing hockey. Maybe his wife has terrific family support and saw how feeling helpless was eating him up and said, "Go play hockey". We just don't know.

I'm sure he wouldn't be here if he felt that being back home would make a difference. I'm also sure that the Oilers want him to do what's best for him, even if it meant taking some time away from hockey.

That's exactly what was said. Here's a couple of artcles about Dvorak.

http://www.canada.com/edmonton/sport...A-2938EE401A71

http://www.canoe.ca/Slam031003/nhl_edm1-sun.html

10-08-2003, 05:33 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers89
That's exactly what was said. Here's a couple of artcles about Dvorak.

http://www.canada.com/edmonton/sport...A-2938EE401A71

http://www.canoe.ca/Slam031003/nhl_edm1-sun.html
Now that you mention it, I read the sun article at work. Didn't read the canada.com one till now tho, thanx. She basically told him to go play hockey.

Kudos to Radek's wife, Irena for showing exceptional strength, while her husband (and Adam's daddy) is half way around the world. Hang in there Mrs. D-vo. We're all praying for you, Radek and Adam.

Old
10-08-2003, 05:34 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
No problems from my end.

I know what it's like to be away from your wife and child, it's one of the main reasons why I'm not in the military anymore.

I'll be thinking about Dvo, and definitely giving him all sorts of slack.
Thx for the info Guy, for the hundredth time

Count me in with the goodvibes crowd.

Heya Digger, I was three years in the navy (Never Again Volunteer Yourself). Gunner by trade.

What did you do there?

Old
10-08-2003, 08:02 PM
barto

Quote:

Good call! Sounds like hockey might be his 'therapy'... whatever works for him and his family...!

Bart

Old
10-08-2003, 08:10 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
navy (Never Again Volunteer Yourself)
hahahaha
GUnner? did u get to shoot anything out of the sky ever? (I dont' care if it's confidential - I will tell the gov. that I told you to tell me! )

Old
10-08-2003, 08:23 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Thx for the info Guy, for the hundredth time

Count me in with the goodvibes crowd.

Heya Digger, I was three years in the navy (Never Again Volunteer Yourself). Gunner by trade.

What did you do there?
3 years? Lightweight...

Naval Electronics Tech, 8 years. Sober for about 5 of them.

Old
10-08-2003, 08:26 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Naval Electronics Tech, 8 years. Sober for about 5 of them.
lol again!

Closed Thread