HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islanders on Thursday

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2005, 03:19 PM
Sunshine

vCash: 500
Islanders on Thursday

It should be interesting to see how we play Thursday after having four days off...
could benefit Jagr (how bad is the 'injury'?)...Lundqvist in goal?
I think we have some payback to inflict on the fishsticks.

Very interested to hear some feedback...

Old
10-24-2005, 03:37 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Unfortunately, I cant see any way Renney will be able to start Lundqvist. Might be tough to not start the "#1" goalie after he had a week off. Rangers best chance is to score 5 goals in the 1st...could be a big enough cushion.

Old
10-24-2005, 03:41 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

I would put 100 bucks on that Weekes will start.

Old
10-24-2005, 04:22 PM
RANGERDIEHARD

Yeah, Weekes should be in goal Thuesday, The Islanders are probably preparing to face Weekes this Thursday by shooting into an empty net in practice - hopefully it will be a high scoring game.

Old
10-24-2005, 04:28 PM
Choice

I dont mind Weekes starting on thursday, because we do have a bunch of games right after. Lundqvist hasnt exactly dominated his last two starts, and i still thinks its wise to ease him into the nhl. This should be an interesting game for the rangers considering the days off. I'm hoping that will be enough for Jagr and Rucchin's injuries to heel.

Any thoughts on when Rucchin will slide down on the depth chart?

Old
10-24-2005, 04:41 PM
Rangers_23
Beuke!

Send a message via AIM to Rangers_23 Send a message via MSN to Rangers_23
I'm hoping the days off will have been put to good use practice-wise. The guys have got to start burying some of the great chances that are either being fanned on or missing the net.

Hopefully Poti is gone by Thursday.

Old
10-24-2005, 05:20 PM
Fletch

Considering the upcoming schedule...

it would be easy to not start Weekes, but Renney needs to get him back into games since he hasn't played much in the last couple weeks (ending on the Islanders game). The question would become what happens after that. There's a couple games against Montreal - does Weekes start them both, the first, or the second, or none? That's when things may get interesting.

Old
10-24-2005, 05:39 PM
Choice

Id split the Mtl. games

Old
10-24-2005, 05:45 PM
Sunshine

Is it wishful thinking to believe Weekes turns in a solid performance Thursday night?

Can we drop three in a row to the Isles?

I don't see us losing this one.

Old
10-26-2005, 07:56 AM
TXNYR

Quote:
Is it wishful thinking to believe Weekes turns in a solid performance Thursday night?
Yes, he is streaky and anything is possible. I would also think that Renny wants to play him against the same team that lit him up to regain some self-respect and confidence.

Quote:
Yep.

Quote:
Most games I will have a feeling on but this one seems completely up in the air to me. If I had a $1000.00 and had to choose, I would go with the Rangers because they are at home.

Old
10-26-2005, 08:58 AM
Phil333

This is a must win game. I know people around here don't like to talk about must win because we are "rebuilding" but if not for the standings then for the confidence of this team. We need this one.

Old
10-26-2005, 09:27 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine

He better turn in a solid performance. If not the Garden crowd willb e on him quickly and mercilessly.

I think the Isles have our number this year. Wouldn't surprise me at all if we dropped 3 in a row. I don't think our team is prepared for the level of physical play this rivalry tends to stir. A couple of good solid checks and the Isles will have the Rangers skating around with their tails between their legs. IMO, of course.

Old
10-26-2005, 10:23 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron
I think the Isles have our number this year.
I think the Isles are just a good team. Got to watch the NYI/ATL game last night and it's a nicely constructed group.

DP has really taken the next step in terms of development and maturity. The addition of Satan has taken some of the defensive focus off of Yashin. Zhitnik is a huge upgrade over KJ. York's line does it all. I also really like their penalty kill, lots of pressure makes it really tough for teams to get set up.

Old
10-26-2005, 11:12 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron
He better turn in a solid performance. If not the Garden crowd willb e on him quickly and mercilessly.

I think the Isles have our number this year. Wouldn't surprise me at all if we dropped 3 in a row. I don't think our team is prepared for the level of physical play this rivalry tends to stir. A couple of good solid checks and the Isles will have the Rangers skating around with their tails between their legs. IMO, of course.
Have our number?

We smoked them at MSG last week and totally took the game to them but they were able to get it into OT and they won the shootout but in no way did it looked like they had our # at any point.

I missed Thursday's game but from what I understand after getting the 3 quick goals on a very rusty Weekes we also carried the play from that point as well and almost came all the way back from down 3 to tie it up.

Little Ricky has certainly taken the next step in his development but other than that the Isles have some serious holes IMO.Despite the addition of Zhitnik the top 4 as a whole is a downgrade from last yrs group of Aucoin-Hamrlik-Jonsson-Ninnima and up front there aren't too many guys that is going to outwork the opposition and other than Yash-Satan nobody is really generating scoring chances on a nightly basis so I think it will be more of the same for the Isles as far as an up and down season that see's them back into the playoffs again for another one and done.

Stirling may not be the guy to guide this ship and even last night they racked up 11 penalties and discipline and consistent work ethtic have been an issue so we'll see if he can correct these issues.

I hope Lundy gets the call tomorrow night although I'm not expecting it but he will w/o a doubt give us a better shot that Weekes with the way Kevin has been playing.

Old
10-26-2005, 11:25 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
Have our number?

We smoked them at MSG last week and totally took the game to them but they were able to get it into OT and they won the shootout but in no way did it looked like they had our # at any point.
I missed Thursday's game but from what I understand after getting the 3 quick goals on a very rusty Weekes we also carried the play from that point as well and almost came all the way back from down 3 to tie it up.
I'm not trying to imply that they're going to bury us every time we meet. I just think they'll have our number, that they'll find ways to beat us. Like 3 quick goals on a rusty goalie, or a broken stick during a shoot out. Those sort of fluky things...know what I mean.

Last edited by Shadowtron: 10-26-2005 at 11:31 AM.
Old
10-26-2005, 11:43 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Stirling may not be the guy to guide this ship
Those were the sentiments I picked up doing some reading on the Isles board last week.

Quote:
up front there aren't too many guys that is going to outwork the opposition
I defintely don't agree with that. York, Hunter, Blake, Bates, heck, even Asham.

Old
10-26-2005, 02:08 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
I defintely don't agree with that. York, Hunter, Blake, Bates, heck, even Asham.
York-Hunter-Blake are all certainly tireless workers but they are all on the same line and as for Asham, although he is playing on the 1st line he is a 4th line talent fprced to play there because they can't find anybody else that will dig effectively for Satan-Yashin.

I think alot of people had the Isles overated going into the season and had it not been for the play of Little Ricky they'd be a total mess right now and even with Rick I think we'll see the inconsistency continue throughout the yr from that group.

Old
10-26-2005, 02:36 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
I think alot of people had the Isles overated going into the season and had it not been for the play of Little Ricky they'd be a total mess right now and even with Rick I think we'll see the inconsistency continue throughout the yr from that group.
I agree.

Old
10-27-2005, 06:35 AM
gdflynn1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
I would put 100 bucks on that Weekes will start.
Can we still bet?

Dog Bites Man: Henrik Lundqvist will be in nets tonight for the sixth time in the last seven games.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/rangers/56244.htm

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/st...p-306377c.html

Old
10-27-2005, 07:02 AM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Also in the second article, which should make some people very happy:

"RW Fedor Fedorov is likely to make his Rangers debut tonight in place of the injured Marcel Hossa (collar bone bruise) on the Martin Rucinsky-Steve Rucchin line. ... LW Jeff Taffe will make his Rangers debut with Ville Nieminen slated to sit after committing three penalties at Buffalo Saturday. ... D Tom Poti will return to the lineup after being scratched in Buffalo."

Old
10-27-2005, 07:04 AM
in the hall

I like the Isles, I think they are solid all around just not good enough, they do lack something

Dipietro is very good imo will be one of the better goaltenders in the league

Old
10-27-2005, 07:20 AM
303Joe

Hello gentlemen. I'll add a few things. 1st wouldn't be surprised if Weekes played and played well. If Renney is going to put Lundquist #1 he is going to gives Weekes 1 shot to rebound off his sub par effort last Thursday against the same Isles. 2nd the Isles will be w/o Parrish and Sopel and possibly Nokelinen who at 19 is a very fiesty player who doesn't care who he hits. I heard the Isles have called up Kevin Colley who is much in the mold of Hollweg not that big but hits everyone and stirs up trouble. This is not an excuse if the Isles lose every team has to play through injuries and this is no different. If the Isles want to win this game they have to stop taking stupid penalties or Jagr is gonna have anohter party on the PP. Should be fun tonight i think tonight will be the most physical game of the 1st 3. The 1st was a great game w/ not that much hitting. Game 2 had alot of hitting from the isles who had Asham, Hunter, Luckowich, Nokelinen hitting evereyone and everything. Tonight i think both teams will keep he hitting going. Hoping for a good game tonight.

Old
10-27-2005, 08:24 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Renney
"The only thing I wonder about is whether we might get more respect from referees if we had a captain..."
Interesting. Never really thought of that.

I'm not giving Nieminen a pass for the penalties last game, but quite frankly, I'd like to see him in this game. And who sits for Poti? Strudwick? As much as I wasn't impressed by his return, his physical presense could be an asset tonight.

I can definitely do without Parrish and Sopel. Great news Joe.

Old
10-27-2005, 08:26 AM
True Blue

Henke tonight?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...p-306377c.html

"So after practice yesterday, Tom Renney conceded Henrik Lundqvist, 23, not only will start tonight in goal at the Garden against the Islanders but has an opportunity to win the No. 1 role in Renney's rotation."

Old
10-27-2005, 09:37 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...p-306377c.html

"So after practice yesterday, Tom Renney conceded Henrik Lundqvist, 23, not only will start tonight in goal at the Garden against the Islanders but has an opportunity to win the No. 1 role in Renney's rotation."
Yes. (Also, Poti's back in and Villie sits for taking too many bad penalties.)

And thanks for the tix, ITH. GO RANGERS!

Closed Thread