HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT: Michel Therrien

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2005, 10:41 AM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

vCash: 500
OT: Michel Therrien

I wanted to get your take on Michel Therrien as an NHL head coach.

Just curious as a Pen's fan, since the current coach might not be long for the job. And MT is the head coach for the Baby Pen's, and doing a good job. I really do not know much about him. Wanted to get your opinions on him.

Thanks.

Last edited by td_ice: 10-25-2005 at 11:09 AM.
Old
10-25-2005, 10:48 AM
Darz

I was never a big Therrien fan, but at the same time, I think he is probablely better than a couple coaches in the NHL right now.

My biggest frustration with Therrien was the fact he didn't customize the teams game plan to the strenghts the team had, which imo, is the sign of a good coach. He used the 'get a one goal lead, and hold on for dear life' strategy on a team that was better suited to a 'get a one goal lead, and try to get another damn goal' stategy.

Also Therrien's well documented melt down versus Carolina in the '02 playoffs, will alway leave a sour taste in most hab fans mouth. A good ocach would never put his team in the hole he did.

10-25-2005, 10:48 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice

Just curious as a Pen's, since the current coach might not be long for the job. And MT is the head coach for the Baby Pen's, and doing a good job. I really do not know much about him. Wanted to get your opinions on him.

Thanks.
He's a tough guy, but he usually knows to keep calm (except during game 4 of the 2002 Conference Semi-Finals against Carolina where he took an unsportmanlike penalty and cost us the game....).

You'll get a few different opinions about him. I think he's a clever enough coach who is pretty good at systems and matching lines. Systems play is designed by the head coach and assistant coaches and implemented by the assistants anyway. The players in Montreal seemed to tune him out after the Carolina incident tho. His act could wear thin after a couple years, but maybe not. I always liked him myself. He's funny too.

Old
10-25-2005, 10:52 AM
Habsaku

When you hire Therrien, you make a concsious effort at having a team that displays no effort, no grit, no defense and no system. Good luck with that.

Old
10-25-2005, 10:57 AM
AH

He is the worst coach to have passed through Montreal in my 25 years of watching this team (even worse than Mario Tremblay). We went to round 2 in 2002 despite this clown behind our bench. There is a reason why he is affectionately known as MTHead.

On a team like the Penguins, the guy would be an even bigger liability due to the youth on the team. The guy has ZERO teaching ability.

If you want a good comparison to a current NHL coach, think Bob Hartley. It figures that these two are great pals and for years coached together / against one another in the Q. Hartley is in the process of ruining a pretty good nucleas in Atlanta.

Old
10-25-2005, 11:00 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AH
He is the worst coach to have passed through Montreal in my 25 years of watching this team (even worse than Mario Tremblay). We went to round 2 in 2002 despite this clown behind our bench. There is a reason why he is affectionately known as MTHead.
No one was/is/will ever be worse than Tremblay ever was. Not even Boom Boom.

Old
10-25-2005, 11:05 AM
Habs

He's terrible, in my opinion. The AHL is probably over his head at this point. He always used the wrong players, at the wrong times, and refused to give deserving players a chance.

Therrien's coaching tactics went like this :
"You there, just grab the guys sweater and hang on, thats defence!"
"Get out of the offensive zone, just dump the puck in!"
"Petrov, I want you out there every second shift working your magic!"
"Traverse, you can do it! I want you out there 30 minutes a game if I can"

He is against physical play, and has no vision beyond the dump and chase. He is about as smart as a rubber bow tie and two left shoes. I'd rather pass the world's largest kidney stone than watch another team coached by Therrien.

Old
10-25-2005, 11:08 AM
jester099

The impression I had, is that when things didn't go their way, all he could do was tell the players to work harder.

We won against the Bruins in the series in spite of him. We got dominated from the first second of the first game until the serie ended. Theo's performance was the best I can recall having seen. Players couldn't even get out of the zone properly game after game after game. no adjustements were ever made. It was like one giant PP for the bruins the whole series...

No adjustements were ever made when he was at the helm. Anyway that's the impression I got. When things didn't go our way, he'd just break stuff in the locker room...

Therrien never impressed me anyway.

Old
10-25-2005, 11:14 AM
Habsruleen

Didn't he get beat up by his ex-wife? I think the Pens need a tougher coach

Old
type_v

I would guess his locker room speeches would go something like this:
"ummm. please score a goal guys, Theo should take care of the rest"

Old
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Thanks very much everyone. Great responses, I appreciate the feedback.

Old
10-25-2005, 11:17 AM
BORAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice

Just curious as a Pen's fan, since the current coach might not be long for the job. And MT is the head coach for the Baby Pen's, and doing a good job. I really do not know much about him. Wanted to get your opinions on him.

Thanks.
Excellent coach, but has been known to lose a room by over emotional displays ....

overall excellent and emotional a real real OLD TIME coach, but beware.... he comes with baggage... his wife IS HOT AS HELL

she's one of Quebec's top weather Girl

anyhow voila ! You guys are gonna like him though, lol ! especially when he jsut loses it with the other team.

Old
10-25-2005, 11:17 AM
BORAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsruleen
Didn't he get beat up by his ex-wife? I think the Pens need a tougher coach
he has a new one... and believe me my friend she's a looker

Old
10-25-2005, 11:18 AM
Jag68Sid87

Don't let a couple of boneheaded decisions out of frustration by two of his players cloud your judgment on Hartley. He's a very good coach and the Pittsburgh Penguins would KILL to have a Bob Hartley behind their bench.

Therrien is nowhere near Hartley's class as a coach, but to say he was worse than Mario Tremblay is once again a major exaggeration.

Old
10-25-2005, 11:19 AM
BORAT

the first thing he did when he got to MTL is show Linden the door

and then said the team was in bad physical shape so he made them run laps for hours around the bell centre : he's gruesome like that

Old
10-25-2005, 11:20 AM
Habsruleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORAT
he has a new one... and believe me my friend she's a looker
I know...she's tough too, didn't she take that Quebec city radio idiot to court? Michel better be nice to her...

Old
10-25-2005, 11:29 AM
BORAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsruleen
I know...she's tough too, didn't she take that Quebec city radio idiot to court? Michel better be nice to her...
Yes indeed ! wait I find a picture

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/actualites...05/406342d.jpg

Old
10-25-2005, 11:32 AM
jester099

Quote:
And the good thing is : He's in Wilkes-Scranton (sp?... is that even a city ? ), she's in Quebec, she's getting lonely...

Old
10-25-2005, 11:32 AM
Habsruleen

Quote:
She definitely could take him.

Old
10-25-2005, 11:33 AM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Vlady27
Don't let a couple of boneheaded decisions out of frustration by two of his players cloud your judgment on Hartley. He's a very good coach and the Pittsburgh Penguins would KILL to have a Bob Hartley behind their bench.

Therrien is nowhere near Hartley's class as a coach, but to say he was worse than Mario Tremblay is once again a major exaggeration.
I disagree re Hartley. The guy is a bonehead. He lost a championship or two in Colorado. That team came through for Raymond in 2001 and won IN SPITE of him (sound familiar). His goon tactics are well documented in this league. The guy brings his bush league Junior tactics to the NHL, much like Therrien.

Mario Tremblay showed some coaching abilities. He just didnt know how to handle star players and his GM was dumber than him (bad combination).

Old
10-25-2005, 11:39 AM
BORAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH
Mario Tremblay showed some coaching abilities. He just didnt know how to handle star players and his GM was dumber than him (bad combination).

Camman man peanut was AN EXCELLENT Gm....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg poopon.jpg‎ (44.7 KB, 14 views)

Old
10-25-2005, 11:54 AM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

Interesting responses I must say. Didin't expect so much negative feedback on him. I was definitely surprised by the "he has zero teaching ability" comment, as he has done a good job with our minor league team.

Though I didn't start the thread, the feedback is very appreciated.

Old
10-25-2005, 01:00 PM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Zero
Interesting responses I must say. Didin't expect so much negative feedback on him. I was definitely surprised by the "he has zero teaching ability" comment, as he has done a good job with our minor league team.

Though I didn't start the thread, the feedback is very appreciated.
There is much bitterness about that loss to Carolina in the 01-02 playoffs. It's deserved, although Kerry Frasier always liked to steal the show as a ref (Frasier was also the ref for that New Jersey game that ended MT's stint as Hab's coach). Hopefully, Therrien has learned since... Will definitely bring some discipline to the team. And as long as they don't affect the outcome of the game, his outbursts are really entertaining.

Old
10-25-2005, 01:18 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Camman man peanut was AN EXCELLENT Gm....

I hope it was sarcasm.

Old
10-25-2005, 01:19 PM
Kafka

Good motivator, teached the young players (helps when you coach them again at the next level), had trouble making himself respect at the begining in MTL with the nonfranco cause of his accent in the room and got so mad he broke a glass with his fist. He made an error during the playoffs (put a winger on an important faceoff instead of Perreault) and lost the room cause of that.

Still, the problem in Pitt isn't an that level..... there is a GM there that put money on old guys like Recchi and LeClair instead of getting two good D-men.

Closed Thread